Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Neverwinter: Further Perfecting Your Character's Look

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com has teamed up with Cryptic Studios to bring our readers another first look at Character Customization in Neverwinter. In this developer blog, we take a look at the "clothes (and equipment) that make the man". See how your character will be able to sport just the right look before joining the conversation in the comments.

In addition, equipping the right armor greatly improves your chances of survival or even walking away unscathed. With multiple armor slots, you have many ways to protect yourself from harm during battle. The most important slots are Head, Armor, Arms, and Feet to protect you from absolute fatal blows from foes. Other slots are necessary to enhance your effectiveness such as Neck, Waist, Shirt (under Armor), and Trousers. It’s essential to equip yourself with the best available equipment for your character level – don’t leave any slots empty!

Read more Neverwinter: Further Perfecting Your Character's Look.

imageimage

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Looks to be shaping up nicely.  Only thing I am worried about with all the titles coming out this year and next that I may not be able to play them all if one hooks me before another. Heheh.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Pretty standard fare it seems. Are armors class locked aswell?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AvisonAvison Member Posts: 350
    "Neverwinter has nearly unlimited character customization if you consider 'nearly' to mean the standard affair"

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Originally posted by Avison
    "Neverwinter has nearly unlimited character customization if you consider 'nearly' to mean the standard affair"

its cryptic.. they invented "unlimited" character customization, it maybe standard affair now for a cryptic game but not for a mmo. most mmo's you cant chance a thing but some colors and premade faces..

And to cryptic...c'mon whit the External Beta already,  PE/Cryptic gave out keys months ago, its time to get the Beta's  going and stop messing around whit fake new Testing names in order to bypass promissies made :P  ..internal alfa..external alfa..family alfa.. Internal beta, limeted Beta, Limited external beta... that the new game ;)  ?

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

This game's character customization is shaping up to be the worst by far it sounds like than any mmo currently. Which is pretty  ironic when it comes to Cryptic Studios since customization is usually the only thing usually worth anything in any of their games they make. 

That being said, if Neverwinter doesn't even have that leg to stand on it pretty much tells me the game is 100% useless.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Avison

Well its Cryptic game so one thing is sure that even if rest of the game sucks their character creation and customization is going to be top notch. COH, CO and STO still has some of the best character creation to this date.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Czanrei

This game's character customization is shaping up to be the worst by far it sounds like than any mmo currently. Which is pretty  ironic when it comes to Cryptic Studios since customization is usually the only thing usually worth anything in any of their games they make. 

That being said, if Neverwinter doesn't even have that leg to stand on it pretty much tells me the game is 100% useless.

Funny haa? how we read the same article and come to different conclusions? i am thinking that character customization in NWN is going to be even better than all previous Cryptic games but considering how limited character creation is in MMOS most of the time with exception of games like DCUO, AION etc, i wouldn't be complaining if NWN customization is on par with COH and CO if not better.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Looks like a lot of customization options, but it probably won't seem like all that much when actually playing it.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Czanrei

and you come to this conclusion from what data? Ah right my bad forgot this is the internet where people don't need facts they can just jump to blind uninformed opinions to make predictions.

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839
    This game is going to ROCK no matter what.
  • MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I'll say it again so people dont waste time (unless you all need filler content).  Unless it is on par with or outperforms Eve's character creation options, then it isnt worth mentioning....they are all they same.

"If you are more defensively-minded, protect yourself by adding Defense to increase your damage resistance."   ...................get out of here, who does that?

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

I think its funny that these stat bonuses are taken from WoW WotLK and CoH. Yeah, theres 2 well balanced starting points.

They even take the least balanced stats from both games. Armor penetration from WoW(which was removed because it was impossible to balance) and Regeneration(unkillable Scrappers ahoy!).

PvP in Neverwinter will definitely be ....interesting.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Never say no to Drow cleavage.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Well I am defently rolling a Drow Greatweapon fighter as my main but as for appeareances and armor looks, not a clue yet.  Will equip the best pieces I can find at the start and slowly build multiple suits to fit certain needs.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Personally friggin fed up with Cryptic's atrocious PR work.  Game suppose to be release early 2013, a beta schedule that is suppose to be announced in Jan and still as of yet been made, and they are completely ignoring their community who have been screaming, tearing heads off just for some plain simple ACTUAL GAME DETAILS!!!!!  Cryptic is just doing a circle jerk and nothing in terms of actually marketing their game.

And why post an utter pointless article, but thats the track record for Cryptic.  Constantly posting articles/interviews/ect that never shed any new light on the game.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

I think its funny that these stat bonuses are taken from WoW WotLK and CoH. Yeah, theres 2 well balanced starting points.

They even take the least balanced stats from both games. Armor penetration from WoW(which was removed because it was impossible to balance) and Regeneration(unkillable Scrappers ahoy!).

PvP in Neverwinter will definitely be ....interesting.

Yeah, regeneration is definitely from City of Heroes... it's not like it was in my Dungeons Master's Guide in 1982,  http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ring_of_Regeneration or if your world started with MMORPG's, then it's only 14 years old - http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=2020 .

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Personally friggin fed up with Cryptic's atrocious PR work.  Game suppose to be release early 2013, a beta schedule that is suppose to be announced in Jan and still as of yet been made, and they are completely ignoring their community who have been screaming, tearing heads off just for some plain simple ACTUAL GAME DETAILS!!!!!  Cryptic is just doing a circle jerk and nothing in terms of actually marketing their game.

And why post an utter pointless article, but thats the track record for Cryptic.  Constantly posting articles/interviews/ect that never shed any new light on the game.

I disagree that this article doesn't shed light on the game, because I learned some new things, though it was very difficult to read.  I very  much doubt this article came from Crypic, however.  As someone who also works for a Chinese company (and has worked for other companies headquarted outside of NAM), this has the fingerprints of a "I am at HQ and I know everything, and this is how we market PW games in China so this is what we will do in North America and it will be the best" thought process all over it.

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    I just want there to be a paladin class, then I'll be happy to play my Tormite
  • TerrornautTerrornaut Member UncommonPosts: 25

"Hey, are MMO HAS ARMOR GUYS! YOU GET TO EQUIP STUFF AND IT MATTERS. THIS IS SO NEW AND EXCITING!"

Please stop talking to us like we're 4 year old idiots who've never seen an MMO or played an RPG.  Its like MMO tutorials. Holy hell.

Being involved with the gaming industry on both sides, developer and consumer, is frustrating.  When we can stop treating everyone like inexperienced dolts and make some real leaps, things will get interesting.  Unfortunately we're bound to taking abysmal, safe baby steps due to the way financing works.

• GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301
    I have to say, I'm not feeling the graphics on the available screenshots/gameplay vids.  Also, sounds like yet another loot centric game.  Losing interest in this one rather quickly.

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Much like some of perfect worlds ones,, to much customization results in people making anime blobs, or deformed messes of "things"  just because they can.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Grym
    I have to say, I'm not feeling the graphics on the available screenshots/gameplay vids.  Also, sounds like yet another loot centric game.  Losing interest in this one rather quickly.

D&D has always been about the loot, I remember the first time I found a +4 Vorpal Sword thanks to my good friend Monty Hall the DM.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

I hope this games going to be indepth, and not another wow clone. I love D&D, So I really really really hope its going to be descent.

Sorry for the negative additude all. I just have been so dissapointed of late because there has been so many linear mmo's released lately. It's depressing

• YhumarYhumar Member UncommonPosts: 8
    The whole foundry system sounds interesting and all but it makes me wonder if the game will have any open world or is it gonna be an instance fest like DDO... If anyone knows the answer to this please say it ;)
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Maephisto

I'll say it again so people dont waste time (unless you all need filler content).  Unless it is on par with or outperforms Eve's character creation options, then it isnt worth mentioning....they are all they same.

That's an odd mish-mash of logic.

If you didn't want people to waste time, I'd suggest reviewing the content and subject one is talking about.

First and foremost noting that, no, not all character editors are the same.

Like others have noted, Cyptic's games are lauded as having some of the deepest editing tools for character design.

There is a breaking point in this regard too. The amount of visual detail as well as technical detail provided in EVE is workable because of how minimal the graphics impact the performance of the game and since you only see your avatar in isolation from the rest of the game world there is no impact on performance there either. It's an overblown system because it can afford to be in that case.

What they have in Cryptic's games is full body visual detail to the extent that is practical for the performance of the game. These aren't just portraits or models that stand about in an isolated interior scene/set. These are models that all have to animate and act with other models in the same environment. It demands a balance between performance and detail, and Cryptic did what they could to provide you with the means to add as much personal detail as possible while keeping Neverwinter a more action oriented game.

Maybe if they turned it into Forgotten Realms Accountants where you're staring at 'excel scrolls' most of the time, they could get away with more. :p

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin