Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

ArcheAge: Trion Worlds Inks Deal for Publication

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Talahasee, FLPosts: 2,556Member
    I'm shocked at how many people are excited that the company behind one of the most blatant and uninspired WoW clones are publishing this.
  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Sigilaea

I am  astonished at what I am seeing. This site is home to the largest collection of cynical "Negative Nancys" I ever saw and damn near everyone is being upbeat and dare I say...happy?

No, everyone is getting high off the possibilities their expecations are generating.  Come down is a bitch.

Tell me why is everyone getting excited about this?

Good question.

i'd say two reasons for me

1. Archage finally gets a US publisher and a probable 2013 release in the US

2. Trion is a great company imho.. especially compared to some other companies that run MMOs out there

Number 1 is great, but why number 2?  Why is Trion going to better than any other NA publisher? Granted the list of decent NA publishers is meager, but Trion doesn't have a great record at all.  What have they done, other than some incredible marketing with regards to their own public image?

despite peoples issues with Rift trion has released more content for its MMO in the last few years than i have seen any company do for any MMO in a very long time.. it could of gone to a publisher known for more pay to winish cash shops instead such as aeria games or gpotato

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Badgered86Badgered86 Denver, COPosts: 175Member
    Seems like awesome news!
  • lectrocutielectrocutie Las Vegas, NVPosts: 5Member
    YES!
  • WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,592Member Uncommon

I am  astonished at what I am seeing. This site is home to the largest collection of cynical "Negative Nancys" I ever saw and damn near everyone is being upbeat and dare I say...happy?

No, everyone is getting high off the possibilities their expecations are generating.  Come down is a bitch.

Good question.

2. Trion is a great company imho.. especially compared to some other companies that run MMOs out there

Number 1 is great, but why number 2?  Why is Trion going to better than any other NA publisher? Granted the list of decent NA publishers is meager, but Trion doesn't have a great record at all.  What have they done, other than some incredible marketing with regards to their own public image?

Would you rather it be NCsoft, with their horrible history of axing games? Or SOE for that matter?...

Originally posted by Wraithone

Good question.

Would you rather it be NCsoft, with their horrible history of axing games? Or SOE for that matter?...

or worse EA.....

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RazperilRazperil Lewiston, MEPosts: 289Member
    An excellent choice. Very commendable :D
  • SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Odym, CAPosts: 80Member

HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DMKano was right!!!! Have to hand it to that guy, he called the shot and hit it over the fence! Nice job DMKano.

As far as TRION doing the pub? Nothing to say but AWESOME!

This game is going to be epic. No bout adoubt it..........!

All Will Be Well.....

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Talahasee, FLPosts: 2,556Member
    SoE would have been a better choice. Or any company that hasn't made a WoW clone...
  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,267Member Uncommon

Alright XLgames. Showing good decision making. 

Gratz to both companies.

• RazperilRazperil Lewiston, MEPosts: 289Member

It's great news for people that follow the game. It's not that hard to figure out. 

• Slappy1Slappy1 columbus, OHPosts: 458Member
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    SoE would have been a better choice. Or any company that hasn't made a WoW clone...

You've gotta be kidding lol,you mean SOE that has basically turned EQ2 into a WOW clone??I love EQ2 but please,it became so WOWified over the year's.

Funny stuff.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• muffins89muffins89 Yakima, WAPosts: 1,306Member Uncommon
    and...i just got excited about AA for the first time.  love me some Trion.

I think the prostitute mod corrupted your game files man. -elhefen

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 uniondale, NYPosts: 346Member
    ;Sigilaea: they're not really this happy. they're just throwing a party at what they perceive as a loss for NCSoft.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Brooklyn, NYPosts: 1,164Member Uncommon

Did anyone see this

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/24/trion-to-publish-xl-games-massive-online-game-archeage-in-western-markets-exclusive/#4hK39mgJaq6fV3ou.99

Specifically -- "Trion will translate the title and make changes to suit Western audiences."

God Damn it!  

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Did anyone see this

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/24/trion-to-publish-xl-games-massive-online-game-archeage-in-western-markets-exclusive/#4hK39mgJaq6fV3ou.99

Specifically -- "Trion will translate the title and make changes to suit Western audiences."

God Damn it!  

doesn't say gameplay changes could just be dialogue related stuff

• Slappy1Slappy1 columbus, OHPosts: 458Member

Did anyone see this

God Damn it!  

I dont see them really changing the game,just translation and such.From what I've read they're wanting to get this out in the west this year,so I don't see any real change to the game.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• dinamsdinams Muriae, VAPosts: 1,362Member

NCsoft Trion ....I couldnt care less

Give me the bloody thing translated and I give my money

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• GhostshadowsGhostshadows PyongyangPosts: 70Member

Cant believe Trion wants to get this game out by late this year!!!! ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG!!!!! 

But if theres one thing for sure, Trion works incredibly fast in whatever they do from pumping out content etc. 

This is gonna be way too awesome

People take the internet too serious...go out get some sun and cool off

• YizleYizle Atlanta, GAPosts: 517Member

This can hopefully be a great NA release then as I believe Trion has done a good job with Rift. They updated it and added new content regularly and seemed to at least pay some attention to its playerbase. My only issue with them is that they made some severe changes to Rift that I could not go along with such as merging the factions so they can group/guild/pvp together.

I am looking forward to what they can do with this title.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Apopka, FLPosts: 2,059Member

Did anyone see this

God Damn it!  

Most likely refering to localization.  Goes beyond straight translation.  For example a joke such as a pun that was funny in one language would have to be completely rewritten.

Could possibly refer to the payment model too.  I can't really see them making any changes beyond that, at least not any changes that wouldn't be approved by the Archeage developers first.

Raptr link because it's the cool new trend:

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,506Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Seems like it would compete heavily with Rift, makes for an odd couple.  I'm glad though that it has a publisher.

At first glance it does seem like that but consider this, Trion is going for a full portfolio of online games.

1. Themepark mmorpg - Rift

2. Sandbox mmorpg - Archeage

3. MMO third person SciFi shooter - Defiance

4. Military team FPS - Warface

5. MMORTS - End Of Nations (back in development)

This would be a next step of getting closer to going public which I think is what the overall plan is. 

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,195Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Wraithone

or worse EA.....

Okay, I think those are both valid points.

EA is sketchy at best, but it appears they have let Funcom run TSW how they will.  I still agree that going with EA is like dancing with the devil.  This would probably be a last choice and maybe even a dealbreaker for him.

SoE though could have been a good choice, but that's not very realistic given national rivalries.  So that counts them out.

NCSoft is a much better choice than EA.  Maybe he didn't like how they handled publishing Lineage in NA.  Not choosing them says something about how their relationship has evolved.

Activision/Blizzard? I don't think so.  Also I don't think Nexon or PW would fit either.

So that pretty much leaves Trion.  At least they have purpose and vision and a measure of passion for their products.  That is very respectable and from that perspective they do make a good choice.  I've said in past threads that I think Trion would make a good publisher for this game and I hope they will.  Since then though they seem to be bungling Rift and are banking heavily on two other risky titles.  They aren't proven, so over-enthusiastic cheering should send out warning bells with last summer's hype and hoopla in mind.

I think Trion could do a good job with this, but they should be under scrutiny not to feck it all up like they did with Rift.  We should be sending a signal of, "I'm watching you!". 

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,506Member Uncommon

I think that SoE would be a poor choice as they are working on their own sandbox game EQNext which will be a direct competitor with Archeage.

Also you have to consider that Korean software companies do not get along with SoE at all, so there was never even a chance of this happening basically, it was always 0% that XLgames would even consider SoE. This was never an option.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,195Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano

I think that SoE would be a poor choice as they are working on their own sandbox game EQNext which will be a direct competitor with Archeage.

Also you have to consider that Korean software companies do not get along with SoE at all, so there was never even a chance of this happening basically, it was always 0% that SoE would AA.

Yeah, that would exclude SquareEnix too.  But what about EnMasse?  They're not really any more proven than Trion is though.  There is Turbine but they're just Warner's pub house now and they're not really cutting edge in hardware or platform really.

Any other options you can think of?