Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This isn't your normal MMO

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by cronius77
    i found GW2 to be WAY easier than rift was personally or any of the other mmorpgs on the market just because the lack of skills. Having one hotbar only or weapon swapping made combat feel so boring to me and the DEs were just no better than warhammer public quests and Rifts system. I tried myself to move to just WvW but its all about trading keeps and zerges with lots of siege to bore any person looking for skirmish pvp to death. Ive tried going back a couple of times but after about 20 minutes I just log out and find other things to do. The game is just absolutely so unrewarding for anything you do in it that its almost like a buzzkill just to play it. Hopefully it will be better down the road with all the changes they keep promising yet take WAY to long to deliver. If you enjoy the game OP thats great to hear glad you can find something you like.

RIft is not difficult - it is easier than most games unless in an instance - then is it hard. The progblem with Rift is there are so many USELESS skills it it ridiculous. They could do away with 50% of the skills and still have a decent game.

Why is it unrewarding - you dont get to gank lowbies, what then? I have fun and that is my reward. Do you want to get paid 20 bucks for a kill? Just saying, playing a game for rewards is a little niave - I mean we play to have fun.

i can't see how Rift in any shape or form is easier especially in PVE questing.. i enjoyed Rift but leveling was cake.. here's a couple of my AOE farming videos... they may have nerfed some of these builds by now as they did the early warrior AOE farming builds but this was cake.. try this at any level in GW2 and you will get destroyed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWYrS5jsLDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTlj8ZPVyuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe80B_PZezs

(these are videos i made for the Rift forums awhile back)

I have died so many times in GW2 just doing quests i can't even keep track.. in Rift i could probably count on my hands how many times I died just questing

It's interesting no one has found a build to do something like this in GW2. Like you say, it's very different the amount of times one dies in GW2 compared to other mmos. One definately has to be paying attention all the time.

I don't see how it would be possible no class can take that many hits.. mobs in GW2 hit way to hard even normal even level mobs.. a really really good fast shortbow thief possibly but one mistake and they'd be toast.. Guardian just wouldn't be able to take that many mobs at once the healing and mitigation isn't strong enough in my experience....in Rift i was almost literaly invincible on even level mobs with some builds(again I'm sure some got nerfs and changes since I played)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    i found GW2 to be WAY easier than rift was personally or any of the other mmorpgs on the market just because the lack of skills. Having one hotbar only or weapon swapping made combat feel so boring to me and the DEs were just no better than warhammer public quests and Rifts system. I tried myself to move to just WvW but its all about trading keeps and zerges with lots of siege to bore any person looking for skirmish pvp to death. Ive tried going back a couple of times but after about 20 minutes I just log out and find other things to do. The game is just absolutely so unrewarding for anything you do in it that its almost like a buzzkill just to play it. Hopefully it will be better down the road with all the changes they keep promising yet take WAY to long to deliver. If you enjoy the game OP thats great to hear glad you can find something you like.

RIft is not difficult - it is easier than most games unless in an instance - then is it hard. The progblem with Rift is there are so many USELESS skills it it ridiculous. They could do away with 50% of the skills and still have a decent game.

Why is it unrewarding - you dont get to gank lowbies, what then? I have fun and that is my reward. Do you want to get paid 20 bucks for a kill? Just saying, playing a game for rewards is a little niave - I mean we play to have fun.

i can't see how Rift in any shape or form is easier especially in PVE questing.. i enjoyed Rift but leveling was cake.. here's a couple of my AOE farming videos... they may have nerfed some of these builds by now as they did the early warrior AOE farming builds but this was cake.. try this at any level in GW2 and you will get destroyed

I have died so many times in GW2 just doing quests i can't even keep track.. in Rift i could probably count on my hands how many times I died just questing

Those videos are a perfect example of why I hate Rift. The combat is so bland and its just supermacro spamming all day, no thought about what skills to use at what time at all. Its not situational in the slightest, its just following the same rotation.

Originally posted by evilastro

Those videos are a perfect example of why I hate Rift. The combat is so bland and its just supermacro spamming all day, no thought about what skills to use at what time at all. Its not situational in the slightest, its just following the same rotation.

i liked it because you had a ton of options to make builds but overall it was really really easy once you had a decent build.. also too many FOTM builds made content so trivial(things may of changed since then i dunno)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

So you can't see how Rift is easier in any shape or form, then go on to detail exactly how it is easier?

Originally posted by kadepsyson

i can't see how GW2 in any shape or form is easier especially in PVE questing.. i enjoyed Rift but leveling was cake.. here's a couple of my AOE farming videos... they may have nerfed some of these builds by now as they did the early warrior AOE farming builds but this was cake.. try this at any level in GW2 and you will get destroyed

So you can't see how Rift is easier in any shape or form, then go on to detail exactly how it is easier?

lol i edited my post nice catch

In any event, yeah GW2 often found me dying when I was taken by surprise.  I was usually surprised because of a distraction or having just tried the game after something of a break.

It's one that can leave you in last stand wondering "How did that happen so fast?"  Not a bad thing.

In any event, yeah GW2 often found me dying when I was taken by surprise.  I was usually surprised because of a distraction or having just tried the game after something of a break.

It's one that can leave you in last stand wondering "How did that happen so fast?"  Not a bad thing.

one thing i found is the spawn rate in GW2 in many areas is really high as is the mob density.. for example we were doing a few group DEs last night and we were doing ok burning down the champion and would of been fine but mobs we had killed respawned and surprised us from the back.. this has happened to me countless times you really need to stay on your toes at all times on the harder events especially now when many aren't so oversaturated.

one thing i found is the spawn rate in GW2 in many areas is really high as is the mob density.. for example we were doing a few group DEs last night and we were doing ok burning down the champion and would of been fine but mobs we had killed respawned and surprised us from the back.. this has happened to me countless times you really need to stay on your toes at all times on the harder events especially now when many aren't so oversaturated.

Yeah I definitely have felt rushed because of rapid respawns.  However, I remember fighing a champion Giant by autoattacking while I was in another room eating dinner because so many people were there picking at him and I was a ranged character.  Came back, cleared the gold medal notification off the screen, and went on my way.

Yeah I definitely have felt rushed because of rapid respawns.  However, I remember fighing a champion Giant by autoattacking while I was in another room eating dinner because so many people were there picking at him and I was a ranged character.  Came back, cleared the gold medal notification off the screen, and went on my way.

yea if there's to many people even with scaling it will just be too easy but that's pretty much standard for most MMOs in my experience

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

So Neobahamut just chatted while he killed things, and while hitting 2 or 3?  Yeah ok, only that doesn't work on a lot of mobs who are programmed to go for you and not your pet, Arctodus for example.  *shakes head*  You would have to move or you'd take unnecessary damage and with veteran mobs, most likely die.  As others have pointed out, the inconsistencies in your posts leave me wondering if you really played the game at all.

Apart from that, if you were meaning to prove that all weapon skills are just different pixels, then you weren't just hitting 2 or 3 with the sword, or you'd actually be moving since 2 bounces you back and forth between your target, as opposed to the 2 skill on a longbow where you fire multiple arrows.

Sounds so similar.  You fraud.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

First themepark MMO to really feel "massive". The way you are always grouped with every other player, it can be exciting. I actually feel like i'm part of a massive roleplaying game rather than just soloing my own quests and queueing for dungeons with random people.

For the people who say its like "playing next to others" that is what every other themepark MMO is like. You do your quests on your own and everyone else does the same. In GW2 you actually help each other. Its thrilling to have an NPC run up to me while i'm not expecting it and ask me for help. Then I rush to where the assistance is need to find other players flowing in, also to comabt this threat.

Yes, generally its not a social experience when you are doing DEs. but it is still more multiplayer than every other themepark. And i have often had social experiences when i reach out and speak to people they are receptive. I've even found people and asked for help and they come and help me. Then we've continued to adventure together. People want to be forced to talk and forced to group. But GW2 isnt going to do that.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by neobahamut20
    Originally posted by Volkon

I only use 3 skills because its all I need to win the fight. My utility skills were sprints and anti-stun. My elite skill was only used against elite mobs, the soloable ones. I weapon switch for range, because it is a requirement for many fights in instances and against many event mobs where melee gets obliterated.

I dont find anything fun in varying a playstyle just as a change of pace especially when I died more often from falling than mobs on my way to 80. I also tried playing other classes, I do have 7 character slots. They were all the same shit so I stopped pretty quickly. I logged in the other day and had guildies begging for help to kill a dragon. That's when you realize no one cares about the game when dragons dont even attract enough people to kill it.

It's amazing how quickly a line of text can shatter your credibility. To think you're trying to sell us that a warrior plays like a mesmer plays like a necro plays like a ranger... dude. Just stop. No one is buying this guano. You're going up against reality and faring poorly.

Again, pretty pixels on a screen are only significant for a certain group of people. If that is all you need, then lucky you I guess, it'll keep you happy long time given the current trend. I, however, want something more, I want actual differences. Having to use a skill at a 1200 or 800 range is the same playstyle. Your guardian can be (actually still is I believe) more effective at range than a ranger. But hey, he doesnt have a drawing of a bear in front of him so it MUST be different.

Don't even pretend like you've actually played the game. Your posts only prove you have not. The actual differences in the weapon sets is vast within a single class even let alone seperate classes. Even you point out a warrior can be better at range. How can they be better if its just different pixels? lol you are just talking out your ass because you like another game that is failing i'm sure.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

More people makes thing easier. Thats why people generally group. As i understand it most events (if not all) are only scalable 1-10 (group in like 5-10) people, think they said tehyre working on scaling for more people.

But somehow certain type of people started convincing everyone that more people makes things harder and requires better rewards lol

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Interesting... since the Champion Giants I've seen tend to move and have large AoE attacks that can even hit you at range if you don't dodge or otherwise avoid them. Of course, if it moves out of range you'll stop attacking altogether. 

Oh wait... yep, this confirms it. My BS meter is spiking when I hold it near your post.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Interesting... since the Champion Giants I've seen tend to move and have large AoE attacks that can even hit you at range if you don't dodge or otherwise avoid them. Of course, if it moves out of range you'll stop attacking altogether. 

Oh wait... yep, this confirms it. My BS meter is spiking when I hold it near your post.

He probably was rezzed a few times. :)

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Sorry - once you rez - you don't auto attack. He is just blowing smoke.

• PaladrinkPaladrink Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by Noxxumari
    So I finally got the game, and it plays great on my mac. Its a HARD mmo to play.

Stopped reading there.

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Well, I guess it can happen early in the game, champion mobs tend to be much simpler in the earlier levels (I'd say 30 and below). That said, sometimes the system that recognizes participation on events seems to be wonky sometimes, I've had times where I've joined an event relatively late (short before a champion mob dies, for example) but attack heavily during those last moments and not even get a bronze medal, and other times I've just run past an event, barely even noticing it and much less participating, and several minutes later I suddenly get a participation award for it.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

Well, I guess it can happen early in the game, champion mobs tend to be much simpler in the earlier levels (I'd say 30 and below). That said, sometimes the system that recognizes participation on events seems to be wonky sometimes, I've had times where I've joined an event relatively late (short before a champion mob dies, for example) but attack heavily during those last moments and not even get a bronze medal, and other times I've just run past an event, barely even noticing it and much less participating, and several minutes later I suddenly get a participation award for it.

The only Giant Champion I found, in the early levels, is the one in the Charr area. HE IS NOT EASY - he has a fear AoE and a knockdown AoE. You need at least 10-15 people to take him down.

Originally posted by L0C0Man

The only low level Champion Giant I can recall at the moment is the one in the Charr area that keeps taking that town... that dude's brutal at level. If you're ranged, you need to hold right about at max range to be able to hit without his blasts ripping you a new one. He also moves, a lot, so being afk and attacking while surviving is highly improbable. 

The most likely scenario here, by Occam, is that he's simply making crap up in order to try and denigrate the game for reasons unknown. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by jpnole
    GW2 is really no different from any other MMO.

Can you please give me a link to a game that has not quest hubs, no mobs standing still waiting to be killed and with a pure DE mechanic for progression with different outcomes depends if you fail it or succeeds it.

Hearts are quests, anyone who denies that is delusional. Also yes the mobs stand around for you to kill them and the heart(quest) tells you how many to kill. But instead of a number you get a bar, which obviously represents a number you just don't know which one.

"Dem spiders here ruinin my trees, squish them so my trees are no more scare for me when pick apple", then you have to "fill your bar" by killing spiders, which is essentially just killing 10 of 10 spiders.

You know what's funny?

Hearts wasent even in the game back in beta because people felt lost and didn't know what to do.

Kinda funny now when they are in same people complain GW2 is same ol same ol.

You see heart quest were never intended from the beginning.

Like your example there, Queensdale lvl 8-9 heart quest range, you ever played past that?

You prolly say yes and you have a main who is 80 done everything so i spare a respons...I don't believe you.

It seems to me that GW2 does the same things as other mmo's in a different way.

Opinions seem to be determined by whether an individual puts more weight on the 'the same things' or on 'the different way'.

IMO, GW2 does what other mmo's do, making it the same ol' same ol'.

Yet they do it in a different way, making the 'same ol' same ol' feel refreshing.

That is if you can stand the dialogue. Which I can't.

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043
    Originally posted by Zorgo

Opinions seem to be determined by whether an individual puts more weight on the 'the same things' or on 'the different way'.

Yet they do it in a different way, making the 'same ol' same ol' feel refreshing.

This is exactly right. It's the same old stuff from WoW (with the same old RNG-based combat) that we've always had. A 'new lick of paint' doesn't really change that. Champions Online is way, way more innovative, to be honest, because it at least provides combat that doesn't turn RNG into a crazy fetish (I'm so sick of RNG-based combat).

See, Champions Online had public missions, just like GW2. And GW2's heart missions are just normal quests with the ! (pick-up) and ? (turn-in) parts removed. The problem is though is that by removing that, you also remove much of the story, so GW2 also takwas away from the illusion that you're not working/grinding, and the heart events feel way, way more like grinding than normal quests in GW2 or TERA do. That's depressing.

And dynamic events? CO and WAR had them. And just like in WAR (because WAR was bad at scaling, too), the dynamic event breaks if there aren't enough people around to do it, and considering that most servers are ghost towns between 20-30 and 80 these days, then there are never enough people around to do dynamic events.

Oh... and that damn combat? Barely any different than WoW. The dodge-roll is so vestigial and pointless that it's a joke. Calling GW2 action-based combat is like callilng a Final Fantasy game action-based combat. TERA and CO both come way, way closer to a true action-based combat MMORPG. And after playing something like ME3's multi-player, which is action-based and requires strategy/team tactics, I find GW2 just... wanting and dull.

And the desperation of the people defending it? Too desperate. They're running around the boards like lone rangers trying to hold up the dignity of their poor, wounded corporations. Where as if they were really having fun, they'd be in the game and playing it rather than haunting these boards and attacking anyone who has even a slightly dissenting opinion.

There are better games out there, there are better MMOs out there, and going by the waning population of the game I think people are starting to realise this. GW2 was a new lick of paint, yes, but the paint is tacky, gaudy, and flakes away quickly to reveal the same old crap we've been doing since WoW.

It'll be highly entertaining if TES:O is the last nail in GW2's coffin. Not saying it will be, but it would be funny if it were.

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

This is exactly right. It's the same old stuff from WoW (with the same old RNG-based combat) that we've always had. A 'new lick of paint' doesn't really change that. Champions Online is way, way more innovative, to be honest, because it at least provides combat that doesn't turn RNG into a crazy fetish (I'm so sick of RNG-based combat).

See, Champions Online had public missions, just like GW2. And GW2's heart missions are just normal quests with the ! (pick-up) and ? (turn-in) parts removed. The problem is though is that by removing that, you also remove much of the story, so GW2 also takwas away from the illusion that you're not working/grinding, and the heart events feel way, way more like grinding than normal quests in GW2 or TERA do. That's depressing.

And dynamic events? CO and WAR had them. And just like in WAR (because WAR was bad at scaling, too), the dynamic event breaks if there aren't enough people around to do it, and considering that most servers are ghost towns between 20-30 and 80 these days, then there are never enough people around to do dynamic events.

Oh... and that damn combat? Barely any different than WoW. The dodge-roll is so vestigial and pointless that it's a joke. Calling GW2 action-based combat is like callilng a Final Fantasy game action-based combat. TERA and CO both come way, way closer to a true action-based combat MMORPG. And after playing something like ME3's multi-player, which is action-based and requires strategy/team tactics, I find GW2 just... wanting and dull.

And the desperation of the people defending it? Too desperate. They're running around the boards like lone rangers trying to hold up the dignity of their poor, wounded corporations. Where as if they were really having fun, they'd be in the game and playing it rather than haunting these boards and attacking anyone who has even a slightly dissenting opinion.

There are better games out there, there are better MMOs out there, and going by the waning population of the game I think people are starting to realise this. GW2 was a new lick of paint, yes, but the paint is tacky, gaudy, and flakes away quickly to reveal the same old crap we've been doing since WoW.

It'll be highly entertaining if TES:O is the last nail in GW2's coffin. Not saying it will be, but it would be funny if it were.

You're trying way, way too hard. At least base trolling somewhat in facts to give the illusion you know what you're talking about. Comparing the combat as being WoW-like is a joke, they're markedly different, even including the dodging (which I use as an offensive weapon on my mesmer). The lie about most DEs breaking without enough people... most are scaled down to one person with spefically the ones labeled "Group Event" requiring more. But I look through and see the same regurgitated and rebuked lies I've seen before, then I see you call the "people defending it" desperate... it makes one wonder why you're so desperately trying to denigrate a game you apparently don't even play nor have a working knowledge of.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Dream_Chaser
    Originally posted by Zorgo

And the desperation of the people defending it? Too desperate. They're running around the boards like lone rangers trying to hold up the dignity of their poor, wounded corporations.

And what's makes you then, The Crusader of light bringer to blind fanbois?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

I only use 3 skills because its all I need to win the fight. My utility skills were sprints and anti-stun. My elite skill was only used against elite mobs, the soloable ones. I weapon switch for range, because it is a requirement for many fights in instances and against many event mobs where melee gets obliterated.

I dont find anything fun in varying a playstyle just as a change of pace especially when I died more often from falling than mobs on my way to 80. I also tried playing other classes, I do have 7 character slots. They were all the same shit so I stopped pretty quickly. I logged in the other day and had guildies begging for help to kill a dragon. That's when you realize no one cares about the game when dragons dont even attract enough people to kill it.

It's amazing how quickly a line of text can shatter your credibility. To think you're trying to sell us that a warrior plays like a mesmer plays like a necro plays like a ranger... dude. Just stop. No one is buying this guano. You're going up against reality and faring poorly.

Again, pretty pixels on a screen are only significant for a certain group of people. If that is all you need, then lucky you I guess, it'll keep you happy long time given the current trend. I, however, want something more, I want actual differences. Having to use a skill at a 1200 or 800 range is the same playstyle. Your guardian can be (actually still is I believe) more effective at range than a ranger. But hey, he doesnt have a drawing of a bear in front of him so it MUST be different.

OK... now you're babbling. By your alleged attempt at a definition, all games are the same being "pixels", so why are you even here? If you can't see the differences in the skills in GW2 then you simply haven't looked and refudse to do so. It's the secondary and tertiary effects of the skills that make them stand out, and the varying playstyles of each profession that that results in. A mesmer, for example, is about confusing the enemy and their targeting getting them to spread their damage uselessly through confusion. It's about having enough control over their actions that you can get them to kill or severly damage themselves. It's about being there while you're not there unless you are there instead of here, or neither.

You are not ready.

Do you even know what a RPG is? That's why I'm here.

Obviously, by this and some other posts of yours you either are a very incompetant player for finding anything in this game even remotely challenging or a troll acting like a noob. The problem with you is I dont know if its trolling or just plain stupidity. Nice job repeating the sales pitch for the mesmer though, I really needed that...

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.