Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO has the best CGI trailer that most accurately represents the game?

2»

Comments

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I would say gw2.  The game very much looks like the cgi trailer and the characters can actually do all the things they showed them doing. rule of thumb I generally ignore cgi trailers.
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Without a doubt, hands down, no question.... Dark Souls. I'm not sure if there are any purely cinematic trailers, so I'll just throw out the newly released Dark Souls 2 trailer (found here: ). Obviously we can't know for sure because Dark Souls 2 isn't out yet, but there's no doubt this captures the overall feel of the game/gameplay. From the methodical combat, to the feeling of utter despair and hopelessness (the dude dies at least a couple of times in the trailer for goodness sake!), the trailers depict the game perfeclty imo.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I never saw a CGI trailer that I felt represented an MMO accurately.  I think they're more for market positioning.

Some of the gameplay trailers are pretty effective, especially for the flashy Asian games.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

There are 2 forms of CGI

1) Has cool epic action scene with guys fighting and WHOAA.

2) establishes the enviroment that the game has.

for CGI like number 1 you will not find something at connects well to its CGI, mainly cause it doesnt include health bars.

For number 2 however go back and watch TSW's CGI shorts they did to get you to understand what the game feels like. Those were bloody awesome and got you to feel the enviroment that you were stepping into.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    have to go with Planetside 2.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Magnum2103
    None, CGI trailers are pointless and a waste of money.  Not sure why it's still a popular trend in the gaming industry.

A+ exactly. Like voice actors, they are a wasting money on elements that do not improve game play.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Rayshe

2) establishes the enviroment that the game has.

I am sympathetic to this, although I think that too often it established the environment that players wish the game offered.

I have a soft spot for trailers as entertainment.  Take something like the WoW Catacysm trailer, that is actually communicating changes made in the world map in an emotional, action-packed way.  It's fun, its entertaining.  I can't deny that, nor I am going to pretend that I am immune to having my decisions influenced by a glossy trailer.

But at the same time, even as I'm entertained, there's a little voice in the back of my head going "wouldn't it be cool to instead play a game that actually had those verbs"

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I remember one of the CGI WAR trailers.  One that had a bunch of the forum people (not sure where they went) saying "WAR is coming!!! image"

The trailer was the one with the orc flying through the air and smacking into a castle wall.  It reminded me of the young children's movie George of the Jungle.  Where the guy swings on a vine into a tree to make kids giggle all movie over and over.

So yeah, that is how I perceived WAR.  A game for little kids who liked silly things.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Should they accurately represent the game? Afterall, either it a) is an ad b) sets the mood c) tells a story.

I said try not to think too hard. Good grief.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    WoW and WAR
  • TickleMeHomoTickleMeHomo Member Posts: 28
    Eve online/Hawken thats the best games cgi that represent fully game and live to the expectations
    Originally posted by mindw0rk
    WoW and WAR

Not even close haha,if actuall wow was close to the cinematics and graphics they show would be WOW ,but sux

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by TickleMeHomo
    Eve online/Hawken thats the best games cgi that represent fully game and live to the expectations

EVE? You serious?

What the trailer shows us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSxSyv4LC1c

What it actually is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqg6ZNSu8fM

• sea.shellsea.shell Member Posts: 63

I like CGI trailers and i don't see them connected to the games they are made for.

If i had to vote one which doesn't try to make you believe things that can't even remotely happen (even with "bad" graphics") -

It's Rift and Warhammer. They both show more eye candy versions of what you can actually do and will be doing. The spells and attacks are in the game.

Planetside2? Well that one is a complete shill. No, jumping on ships, no shooting pilots, no throwing grenades into ships / tanks, not even close as many people on the screen at once as claimed (in fact it's more like 30 vs 30, the rest is invisible above 10 meters away. Glass seems to be non existing in the game. Neither for cockpits nor for visors of helmets.

Nice CGI trailer and game thought, just not connected.

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482
  • ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

Wow has always had the best trailers tbh, even though I dont like the game itself anymore I can still only say that the movies blizzard outputs are just plain awesome.

Planetside 2 trailer was stupidly awesome, but the trailer itself is as far from the gameplay itself as possible lol.

The one trailer during the 2012 actually made me shiver was GW2 trailer, though. (I also think it was the most accurate of 2012, too)

Originally posted by ezpz77
    Originally posted by TickleMeHomo

EVE? You serious?

What the trailer shows us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSxSyv4LC1c

What it actually is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqg6ZNSu8fM

Dude its a big deal from how player sees the game from his own eyes.Now when remove this whole UI and close up and got machine giving best FPS and u watch gameplay from close up view or other it gives feeling as in trailer.Space is big/beutfiull in this particular game.Gameplay is not super action pack like Freelancer but in close huge armies looks spectacular when not zoomed out to 100000000x.Sry english

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Damn, I forgot EVE Online. Trailers in this game are incredible
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Not really CGI but I think The Secret World Launch Trailer, with an inspired soundtrack, portrays the feeling of the game perfectly.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

Useless thread mistaking CGI trailers with gameplay trailers.

Both have a place in this industry, and CGI trailers simply aren't meant to showcase gameplay (duh).

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by trenshod
    Originally posted by Phelcher

Battlefield from DICE....   zero CGI all game.

WoW has that Kung Fu panda on every commercial, that represent nothing from the game...

hopes this helps.

1. Your first comment doesn't count seeing you didn't read the OPs thread title very well

2. Obviously you haven't played MoP if you did you would know that the panda in the commercial has everything to do with the game. The human and the orc are random and don't specifically have anything to do with the game.

and no your comments don't help

The location in the cinematic you can go to (The WoW one) in game. 

Also the orc and human ARE significant characters, so is the panda.

I guess its still cool to hate on WoW here huh?