Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Minecraft makes fools of MMO companies

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Fairfax, VAPosts: 1,347Member Uncommon

i have to agree with some posters as well minecraft should have its own forum here especially considering games like D3 and LOL have them which are not mmorpgs either.

Also people should check out blockscape http://www.blockscape.com/v2/ its minecraft with 3d graphics and a much deeper survival system coming in the next couple of weeks for its steam release. The game has a downloadable demo version now but its worth a look if you really enjoyed minecraft. I know Ill be buying it myself when its closer to release and out of beta.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by cronius77

i have to agree with some posters as well minecraft should have its own forum here especially considering games like D3 and LOL have them which are not mmorpgs either.

Also people should check out blockscape http://www.blockscape.com/v2/ its minecraft with 3d graphics and a much deeper survival system coming in the next couple of weeks for its steam release. The game has a downloadable demo version now but its worth a look if you really enjoyed minecraft. I know Ill be buying it myself when its closer to release and out of beta.

There is another thread listing games included here that have no persistent world (and hence not MMOs). There are plenty. So while i don't like Minecraft, i think it should be included.

• AutemOxAutemOx Fullerton, CAPosts: 1,704Member

Minecraft is huge.  It is really popular, especially among kids.  I work with kids and you'd be surprised how many of the boys play minecraft.  They'll even come into the office playing it on their phones or tablets.

I agree with OP that its made fools of these AAA developers.  What a simplistic concept for a game, yet it has become so popular...  Why?  Because it allows players to use their imaginations, create their own content, and share that content with other players.  What a novel idea.  This is something MMORPGs should have been taking advantage of from day 1 but they are too foolish to do so instead they've followed the money:  single player on rail games and the popular WoW.

It would only require minor alterations to make minecraft a MMORPG, but it plays better as a 10-100 simulatenous player privately owned server based game because that allows individuality of servers and thus more options and gameplay time.

I have been previously addicted to minecraft and I literally am scared to play it again because I know that I won't be able to stop if I do...  I cannot say THAT about any MMORPG, ever, save SWG...   Although I know some people who can.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by wormywyrm

Minecraft is huge.  It is really popular, especially among kids.  I work with kids and you'd be surprised how many of the boys play minecraft.  They'll even come into the office playing it on their phones or tablets.

It is huge, but not anything more than any successful online game. My kids play Minecraft for a while, and now they move onto LOL.

So if you want to talk about online games that are more successful than MMOs, you should include LOL, Diablo 3, WOT and quite a few others. In fact, if you look at xfire numbers, minecraft is at #9 .. which is great .. but certainly not more "great" than COD4, BF3, D3, WOT, and of course LOL.

So why aren't we talking about LOL (which has more than 10M active users, more than minecraft) "makes fools of MMO companies"?

• ZarriyaZarriya Long Island, NYPosts: 288Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rusque

Minecraft isn't a sandbox . . . it's a themepark with just one ride. A tedious boring ride at that.

Look, I loved playing with legos as a child (they're still kinda fun) but smashing and placing blocks for hours upon hours is not my definition of fun. And if any game dared to ask you to do something as repetitive as that in exchange for a castle or what have you, people would be up in arms over the "grindyness" of the quest.

Rusque, did you ever play Minecraft with other people?  That is where it truly shines.  I have had so much fun with my guildmates playing this game on the side of our MMOs.  The creativity, fun and cooperative play is limitless.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG MelbournePosts: 1,134Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by EccentricPenguin
    minecraft also looks like an un-fun version of some backshelf b-title from the 20's.

There is no computer (or even electronics) back in the 20s. If you are going to try to be sacastic, probably a good idea to least be a bit historically accurate (or at least not totally wrong or absurd) ;)

I agree with the OP, minecraft have outdone itself in ways that many big company mmos have not.

In terms of graphic... come on now, it is created by a one man army, seriously how much graphics do you really expect from such a conceptually simple but systematically complex game?

• AutemOxAutemOx Fullerton, CAPosts: 1,704Member
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by wormywyrm

It is huge, but not anything more than any successful online game. My kids play Minecraft for a while, and now they move onto LOL.

So if you want to talk about online games that are more successful than MMOs, you should include LOL, Diablo 3, WOT and quite a few others. In fact, if you look at xfire numbers, minecraft is at #9 .. which is great .. but certainly not more "great" than COD4, BF3, D3, WOT, and of course LOL.

So why aren't we talking about LOL (which has more than 10M active users, more than minecraft) "makes fools of MMO companies"?

I sometimes work with kids 5-10 years old, and I often ask them what games they play.  I do not mention any game in particular.  I have never had any of them tell me they play LOL or Diablo 3, but many play minecraft.

I am not very familiar with LOL, but it is my understanding that it is derived from custom maps going all the way back from warcraft 3 and starcraft 1.

Minecraft on the other hand, is an example of a very cheaply made recent multiplayer game that focuses on building/sandbox and has become incredibly successful.  Minecraft is not necessarly a new genre or even a new concept, but it does represent a type of game that MMOs could have evolved into 10-20 years ago but failed to.  Minecraft contrasts sharply with the MMO genre which has shifted away from virtual worlds and building and towards linear story driven content.  Hence why minecraft might 'make a fool' of a AAA MMO developer that is not hitting it big with their copy cat linear MMOs.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member
    minecraft also looks like an un-fun version of some backshelf b-title from the 20's.

Minecraft has also sold over 6 times as many copies as Guild Wars 2.  Over 18 million last I looked.  So it is rather funny to me when people say it looks un-fun and like a terrible game from the past, when a new game with supposed innovation and quality graphics (lol culling fail), sells far, far less, while costing much more to both produce and purchase.

Yeah, Minecraft.  Better selling, more innovative, and far more influential than GW2.

El Psy Congroo

• apb2011apb2011 Quebec city, QCPosts: 153Member Uncommon

Why live artifically in a computer game when you can live in real life. The whole world is out there for you to create. There is so much land out there to build all these things you want in an artificial game. You can be affecting multitudes of real people in real life. Something in you says, "no you can't do it" find out what that thing is. You will discover that it is just an illusion.

Why live artificially?

• eddieg50eddieg50 Tolland, CTPosts: 1,614Member Uncommon
    LOL-minecraft is like doodling, you draw pretty pictures you ohh and ahhh but in the end you do not take it seriously
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    LOL-minecraft is like doodling, you draw pretty pictures you ohh and ahhh but in the end you do not take it seriously

Have you ever heard of this thing called art?  You know, where they draw pretty pictures sometimes and hundreds of years later are still talked about?

Also, it is very funny to me that you think it's laughable as a game, but that millions, nearly 20 million people, consider it worth buying.  Compare that to some of the latest big MMO releases and...

El Psy Congroo

• AeliousAelious Portland, ORPosts: 2,854Member Uncommon
    I think the majority of people who don't play Minecraft have no idea of what it can do when plugins are taken into consideration. It's not their fault, you don't know what you don't know. What's funny is that from a general MMO standpoint the combat is the only thing really holding it back for most people.

If we're talking about MMO considerations let's be realistic. If Mojang hosted it's own servers it would be an MMO. Last time I checked the only limitation to characters sharing a persistent world was server hardware specs and java limitations. With unlimited hardware there could be over a billion players in one world. It's far more "MMO" than LoL or WoT will ever be. Not that makes a difference one way or another.

Relevant!

Even without plugins people do amazing things in Minecraft, from recognizable structures to complex functional redstone circuits.

El Psy Congroo

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,216Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Minecraft has also sold over 6 times as many copies as Guild Wars 2.  Over 18 million last I looked.  So it is rather funny to me when people say it looks un-fun and like a terrible game from the past, when a new game with supposed innovation and quality graphics (lol culling fail), sells far, far less, while costing much more to both produce and purchase.

Yeah, Minecraft.  Better selling, more innovative, and far more influential than GW2.

Super Mario for the NES sold over 40 million units.  It should be an MMO too and is better than any mmo and most single player games including elder scrolls, diablo, and minecraft.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Super Mario for the NES sold over 40 million units.  It should be an MMO too and is better than any mmo and most single player games including elder scrolls, diablo, and minecraft.

Well I can see why it would be considered better than any mmo and most single player games.

I can also see it as being far more influential than Guild Wars 2.  (Shh, don't tell eyelolled)

El Psy Congroo

Yeah Minecraft is actually equivalent to the David Braben's Elite of this generation of gamers - it will probably go down as one of the most influential games in this decade in gaming history (just like Elite did as going down as the one of the most influential games of all time).

I think most gamers should be glad to witness the birth of a new gaming genre like this.

• dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,543Member Uncommon

Whether you like the game or not you have to admit it was a big accomplishment for a single developer working on it mostly part time.

Independant developers are where the innovation is going to come from in this genre.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by dave6660

Whether you like the game or not you have to admit it was a big accomplishment for a single developer working on it mostly part time.

Independant developers are where the innovation is going to come from in this genre.

You bring up an excellent point.  One person made Minecraft.

Minecraft is seeing use in schools as part of required education as well.  It's quite an accomplishment any company would have loved, but one person can claim this prize.

El Psy Congroo

• laokokolaokoko TaipeiPosts: 2,003Member

ok so minecraft is a mmorpg?  I dont' see it at the mmorpg listing.

• Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

There is no computer (or even electronics) back in the 20s. If you are going to try to be sacastic, probably a good idea to least be a bit historically accurate (or at least not totally wrong or absurd) ;)

I agree with the OP, minecraft have outdone itself in ways that many big company mmos have not.

In terms of graphic... come on now, it is created by a one man army, seriously how much graphics do you really expect from such a conceptually simple but systematically complex game?

Yes I know there were no computers or electronics back in the 20's. That was the point.

Yes I know there were no computers or electronics back in the 20's. That was the point.

Actually you kinda really had no point with that comment, lol if that's what you mean

• Originally posted by kadepsyson

Whether it sold over 6 times more copies as GW2 or 600 times more copies, just shows how much overpopulation is going on around the world, dang 3-10 age range of those players...It looks like crap, the things you build look like crap, so why do it? I honestly don't see how that game could be entertaining to anyone other than a small child. Like it was said earlier, just buy legos.

• RazperilRazperil Lewiston, MEPosts: 289Member
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Minecraft does not have fun combat to me. It is a non-starter. And most player created content is crap. I have seen my sons playing it with his friends .. they can't pay me to play their "content".

Sure, there are those who create novelty like putting a WOW city into Minecraft, or create the Starship enterprise, but anyone who think it can replace WOW is smoking crack.

It is just a different kind of game. It is only for people who want to build stuff, not those who like progression/combat MMOs.

It's not trying to replace Borecraft. It doesn't have to. Noone even said it was trying to.. (besides you of course.) I think it might be possible that it is you that is smoking the crack (I can't assume, just wonder). Stick with that carrot dangling other game. :)

• SlampigSlampig Chantilly, VAPosts: 2,376Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

So much time, money, and energy goes into filling the MMORPG game world with content, but the reality is (and Minecraft proves this) no matter how good the team, if you let the players build it the results will surpass your greatest expectations. I believe the old saying is do not teach a person to use a tool, give them the tool and be surprised by their innovation in using it. So MMORPG companies, when will you give us the empty world and the tools and turn us loose to make the greatest MMORPG of all time?

Yeah, because all those other sandbox games that have come out are doing gangbusters...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Whether it sold over 6 times more copies as GW2 or 600 times more copies, just shows how much overpopulation is going on around the world, dang 3-10 age range of those players...It looks like crap, the things you build look like crap, so why do it? I honestly don't see how that game could be entertaining to anyone other than a small child. Like it was said earlier, just buy legos.

Even as a small child I knew it was LEGO.  I also knew the plural was LEGO.  It is not legos.

As for Minecraft, given that players can create as much as they can imagine and get as complex and impressive as they can think, I feel bad that you think the things that can be built are crap a 10 year old would do ;)

Also, that you can't see how any other person can enjoy something when millions do in fact purchase and enjoy it, is a failure of your own mind, not a problem of anyone elses making.

El Psy Congroo