Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: How SWTOR Can Own 2013

Comments

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

We're hoping Star Wars: The Old Republic has a better 2013 than 2012, but what should BioWare do specifically? 

Easy. Remove the F2P restrictions. Moving on!

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

upgrade the darn games engine and code to modern day Hero engine and they could pull off a sandbox. I know if 5 indie devs making the repopulation with no source code can make a sandbox, 20 highly educated engineers who make more then most of us ever will in one year can get it done in 5 months, and have it running smooth and running DirectX 11

Personaly I feel it's a bit to late for them to overhaul the engine, but at least consult the guys that made the engine to come in and see if they can fix and update it. I can whip out entire planet in a few days with lush mountains valleys/ streams with day and night cylces, oceans/swimming, and I'm just one of the guys doing it for my game! I have 4 other guys building coastlines and entire citys/towns and  adding armor weapons already. I have been doing for 3 months and I have all that.

Get on it BW and fix it all.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

The only thing which could make me reinstall it is if they implement large scale open world PvP between the faction with propert rewards and consequences.

But the chance for that to happen is virtually nil. Bioware has never shown that they understand PvP so I dont think they are able to implement it properly.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Originally posted by Yamota

The only thing which could make me reinstall it is if they implement large scale open world PvP between the faction with propert rewards and consequences.

But the chance for that to happen is virtually nil. Bioware has never shown that they understand PvP so I dont think they are able to implement it properly.

Ya sPvP and Illum (open world PvP) seemed a after thought.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by bcbully

A huge massive EVE like space system would go a loooong way. Other than that I don't think there is anything they can do.

Wtf lauch a starwars game with nothing more than a starfox online space minigame... cmon man.

If the game was years from beta I can understand a wish for a EVE like space system, but honostly you are not really serious in expecting they are able to create it for the base game SWtOR already has?

I would settle for something more like JTL (SWG) but I also see it as being unrealistic as it would need to construct a complete new engine just for space.

I do agree at not understanding how they could have put in the space mini game SWtOR now has.

As for OP, I wish Bioware well, yes I am still enjoying the online game, but pffffff wished there would be a more MMORPG type of Star Wars then just the combat oriented star wars online game that I feel SWtOR is.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

The game is not in position to own 2013 or any other year. It’s stuck in a slow downward spiral that will bottom out with just enough player base left to warrant new cash shop items each month to stay afloat. It is held forever down by a) an inability to produce new story content due to development costs insured by their design choices, b) a poor cash shop and F2P model, c) outright mismanagement from leadership in studio and at EA, and d) a dated engine and tool set for development. Aside from recouping their costs and turning some value over from the massive investment made, no one involved with the game really cares about it or the future any longer because it failed to generate the desired results and shows NO promise of achieving them.

To compound the issue Disney now owns LA and all associated properties. They are interested in marketing their upcoming vision of Star Wars and the new spin offs they hope to generate. The Old Republic setting is unwanted competition on its own merits and as such is only useful for being turned into a marketing tool for the new vision.

I can see a new Star Wars MMO in the future but it is liable to follow a similar pattern to DCUO or the upcoming Marvel game. This would mean a focus on only being able to play cannon characters they own or forever being relegated to sidekicks for their characters in story missions. It is the nature of business to market their property (particularly when discussing a franchise that spans several types of media) and both games provide good examples for how that is done.

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65
    I love lamp
  • IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

Dear OP,

I seriously cant understand why you started a thread with the assumption that SWTOR "can own 2013".

By now we can all agree that SWTOR was one of the biggest dissapointments in MMO history; it was superhyped, backed by a renown game company, BW,famous for its earlier games, backed by the marketing and economical muscles of EA.

But most of all, it had a superstrong IP, Star Wars, a multibillion dollar brand. Yet, it fizzled.

While me, and many others, enjoy it for what it is, owning 2013, what was that about?

Meh, threads like this, we can live without, dear OP.

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    You cant post in their forums as a "preferred" status player thats weak!
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Guess Bioware/EAturd paid you guys off for some more positive publicity.

It really does make one wonder, how massively over-positive articles like this seem to pop up with surprising regularity here.

Or maybe MikeB is just one of the people who likes SWTOR.  Even mediocre games usually have their fans.

And yet, such articles are not only restricted to TOR. That says something else, entirely.
  • KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385
    ''

A huge massive EVE like space system would go a loooong way. Other than that I don't think there is anything they can do.

Wtf lauch a starwars game with nothing more than a starfox online space minigame... cmon man.

''

As I said time and again, STAR WARS WITHOUT ANY STAR WARS (rail shooter nothwithstanding) make me a saaaad panda :(

I mean, SURE, Star Wars ISNT JUST ALL ABOUT space combat, BUT it so is more important part of the shows than whats deregotarily depicted as an ''on rails/tunnel shooter'' in SWTOR.

LARGER ZONES WITH ALOT MORE PEOPLE in them and SWG style space combat IMO would boost this game to the level of a rather enjoyable MMO, just my two cents.

• leovinousleovinous Member Posts: 38

if swtor wants to surivive in 2013, it need...and i means needs to change how the f2p works.

paying for ui customization, that is just stupid, You have to pay to be able to craft more than one item at a time...stupid. just paying for the basic fuctionaly of the game. you have got to be kidding me. hell other f2p games give you more than that. but this is EA we are talking about so..you know

Have you not read the Bible?
    Oh, yeah, yeah... Not all of it. Actually, I'm listening to it on tape.
    Don't tell me how it ends.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Originally posted by leovinous

if swtor wants to surivive in 2013, it need...and i means needs to change how the f2p works.

paying for ui customization, that is just stupid, You have to pay to be able to craft more than one item at a time...stupid. just paying for the basic fuctionaly of the game. you have got to be kidding me. hell other f2p games give you more than that. but this is EA we are talking about so..you know

F2P and B2P really need to be just that. MMOers are not dumb. When a MMO goes F2P or B2P the first thing I look up in the restrictions. 30 seconds reading SWToRs restrictions and I walked away. We have come a long way since EQ1 launch day and 15 bucks a month when there is so many quality MMOs out there to play is no longer worth the coin. Loving GW2 thats 3 X the game SWToR is and really is B2P with a cash shop thats not pay to win. 

I would really play SWToR if they adpoted GW2 B2P policy and even throw them money from time to time in the cash shop and only for 2 reasons. I have a few friends there and I do love Star Wars. Play your strengths EA and make this game worth playing.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by ignore_me

They might want to address the horrible frame-rates many users get even on high end systems. I would have given free to play more of a chance if the game could get above 20-25 fps on my rig.  

My computer is old aprox 3 years, is good but not top, ... all maxed out ... enver had any lag. Alwas (ok, from time to time, line problemsr server) have been playing it for months and months completely fluid. Could be however some have client problems because i.e. some conflict with certain graphics cards. I had terrible experience with TSW on my W7 32bit computer, when installed 64bit (as they insisted is only possible solution) on SAME computer and on SAME configuration everything changed like day and night to better.

Games I never ever had problems (on same computer) with running all maxed out: wow, swtor, gw2, rift, ... close to disaster however war, some time also aoc, ....

running same hardware as I did at launch, to include 64-bit windows 7. Ran great at launch +3 months. Somewhere in between they introduced something that makes my comp choke. Have heard the same thing from others, even having gone to new machines and still problems. I also know people who have no problems.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    This makes me wish this site had a "block game" feature.
  • newchemicalsnewchemicals Member Posts: 43
    Open world pvp? You might as well shut the game down.
  • CalavryCalavry Member UncommonPosts: 112

there is no fix that can save it, it had its chances and squandered most of them

Its dead, let it die in peace

RIP SWTOR

• KreetureKreeture Member UncommonPosts: 59

Own 2013,prob not.

I have to say (again) that all you guys who keep preaching the game is dead and no one is interested and all that BS, really have no idea what you are talking about. I get the game had issues at launch but it is getting better all the time. F2P did bring in alot of people . No matter how much you try and convince yourself (and others) that swtor is dead and buried the fact is it is doing very well with highly populated servers and like it or not,the cash shop is making money! I am not a fan of the cash shop but it is here AND it pulled the game out of the hole most of you were so glad to see it in.

So. Go find another game to pull apart cause anyone who actually plays the game knows your negative comments hold no water. I guess i will see you all bashing eso and Neverwinter very soon!

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    it would take jump tolight speed type space. a deep complex crafting system.. a player driven economy .. several more classes.. more specied to play.. player houses like swg .. guild ships that are usable.. an indepth resource system.. and jedi would have to be an unlock and powerful rather than balanced.

small things to ask of a star wars game.
  • KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173
    I think SWTOR best chance to be a successful game is to leave MMO space and go to single player game :)
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by black_isle
    Come on man, i'm not saying the game is dead or anything, it still has it's fans and audience but owning 2013? Come on... :)

^^THIS^^

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by rojo6934

i love when all these random people start wondering if the forums have been payed off by the company to say positive things about X games.  I think the things SWTOR did wrong are far bigger than the ones it did well. but taht doesnt mean you are being payed off by mentioning the little good things it has. People really need to grow up. The game is not for you, period. Also news forums like this one are not meant to publish articles about what haters think of a game. Share your positive and negative opinions with all here but dont pretend that  an article is wrong because its saying good things about a game that has failed before and is trying to do better now.

Great post ! There seems to be a lot of sheeple getting onto the bash-ToR bandwagon just like pre-MoP there was a bash-WoW bandwagon. The OP is actually both positive and negative, overall a balanced piece. I do not see why there is no way that ToR can't "own 2013". What I hope is that there is major competition between EA/Bioware, ANet, Funcom, etc. to bring us the best MMO possible : I hope that all companies try to "own 2013" image

Originally posted by BadSpock

If they re-balanced all of the content/combat 10-50 to match the pace and speed/fun of 1-10 combat, I'd try the game out again.

But as it stood when I left (almost a year ago) 10-50 is "balanced" in PvE to have a healing companion out at all times, unless you can heal yourself, then you use a tanking pet.

I HATE pet classes in MMO games. Hate them. Every single class in SWTOR was/is a pet class thanks to companions.

Biggest fail IMO was making companions necessary for the vast majority of the game.

Would have been better, again IMO, if companions were only available in the instanced portions of your personal story quests.

Just a thought but have you tried finding a player to duo with and just putting away the companion ?

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• stefanakisgrstefanakisgr Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by kyssari
    Sorry but any mmo tyhat advertises f2p and is actually p2p in the fact that as soon as you encounter a game breaking bug that doesn't allow you to play the game anymore can not even be reported let alone fixed until you pay a subscription fee to gain access to customer support.... Total fail...So much potential lost thanks once again to corporate big business asshats (aka EA) who only care about making money isntead of making good games :

Funny thing is that the good game , will achieve the make money goal . I really think theres some miscommunication there , either the people making the game are not being honest , or the bean counters are clueless . Every business is unique , and you need to know it well .

• ThaddeusPLThaddeusPL Member UncommonPosts: 12
    SWTOR CAN'T own 2013 this is a weak mmo (with very poor engine) without endgame content and pvp. This is like korean mmo - grind, grind, grind and get a cute pet :) 
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Great blog and wow such a lot of passionate people replying :) . Must be a very popular game still , to either bash or praise. Anyways OT so yeah a boxed expansion you say and I say yes please. How many planets should be in it ? What would the level cap go up to ? Plus to do all that in less than a year , hmm I think maybe by feb 2014 they could do it but not by the end of the year . Three planets and a 10 level cap increase should suffice. Get to it Bioware.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]