Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

ArcheAge: Trion Worlds Inks Deal for Publication

Comments

• EtherignisEtherignis philadelphia, PAPosts: 246Member
    Beta sign incoming probably. Maybe after defiance
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen USA, GAPosts: 2,451Member Uncommon
    Now I hope they announce it will be a subscription based mmo here in the West, with no cash shop. Hey, I can dream, right? image

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Talahasee, FLPosts: 2,556Member

The company behind the biggest WoW clone?

Well, that cross this game off my list. 

• WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,593Member Uncommon
    That is QUITE good news. I was concerned it would be NCsoft or SOE.
  • PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon UnkownPosts: 565Member Uncommon

best mmo

• TerranahTerranah Stockton, CAPosts: 3,605Member
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon

best mmo

Praise the gaming Gods! 

• OtakunOtakun New Providence, PAPosts: 864Member
    If Trion can actually publish this game in less then a year unlike other publishers then I might actually give a crap that they got it but considering alls this means is we got to wait another year + for Trion to get off their asses to translate this game before we even get to touch it. Hopefully they will do some kinda sub deal like they SOE did or does whichever it is now where you only need 1 sub to play Archage and Rift. =P
  • apemaninovapemaninov LondonPosts: 3Member

Hallelujah! Pras Jebus! Pras!

Say what you want about Rift, I have found my interactions with Trion to be nothing short of delightful.

Genuinely good customer service.

• IstafeinIstafein New York, NYPosts: 70Member Uncommon

Just reporting in to add to the chorus of happiness.

Wow, this great news. Go Trion!

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6-34

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,214Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by sk8chalif

I am glad that its Trion world. but trion or not if this game is P2P its wont last long. but i can be wrong.

i Hope its work!

That's what everyone said about Rift too, and here we are, 2 years later, with Rift having a pretty big following and good player retention.

I hope they make it P2P just as a filter for jackassery. Knowing TRION you will probably get the first few levels of the game F2P just to test the waters a few months after release. They are good about that kind of thing.

Either way, this company is great, have had nothing but good experiences with them, even with some of the problems Rift has.

Rift is doing horribly.  They have a small niche following and are down to 6 pve, 1 rp, and 1 pvp server.  How is that "a pretty big following and good player retention"?

The P2P "jackassery" comment is simply ridiculous posturing and condescension.  Both WoW and Rift, sub-locked games, have more than their fair share of asshats.  The paywall doesn't keep out asshats because there are plenty of jerks with money willing to sub.  Look at some of the p2p proponents on this site and the simple minded rude comments they make.  Burning money on a subscription doesn't make you an angel.

Trion has a lot of potential because they're focused and determined, but they have yet to prove themselves.  They have had to rescue EoN and are taking a huge risk with Defiance.  Rift is middling along with pretty much nothing exceptional to make it stand out.  They have laid off over 40 long term employees including Hartsman and one other producer.  Are they still riding on the coat tails of

Can they grow their games?  Can they keep up the development/release cycle in Rift?  Two years of limping a game along doesn't make them a competent publisher.  I do think they can pull it off and are the best choice in NA pubs, but we should be careful and watch them closely.  They had a lot of momentum for the first 18 months.  How they move forward remains to be seen.

• ZooceZooce B, FLPosts: 586Member
    Who would've guessed Trion?!  Such a great choice.
  • caetftlcaetftl Los Angeles, CAPosts: 358Member
    This doesn't seem wise, trion is having internal shake-ups.  The more experienced gaming industry vets know trion tried to hype their products too much and hoped that hype would create money that would allow them to actually deliver on the hype.  Didn't really work...
  • SigilaeaSigilaea northport, ALPosts: 317Member

I am  astonished at what I am seeing. This site is home to the largest collection of cynical "Negative Nancys" I ever saw and damn near everyone is being upbeat and dare I say...happy?

Originally posted by Sigilaea

I am  astonished at what I am seeing. This site is home to the largest collection of cynical "Negative Nancys" I ever saw and damn near everyone is being upbeat and dare I say...happy?

No, everyone is getting high off the possibilities their expecations are generating.  Come down is a bitch.

Tell me why is everyone getting excited about this?

• SigilaeaSigilaea northport, ALPosts: 317Member
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

No, everyone is getting high off the possibilities their expecations are generating.  Come down is a bitch.

Good question.

• tiddytiddy londonPosts: 23Member
    Originally posted by Kenshin_Himura
    Great news and 1st

Great news indeed.

Good luck with this project Trion!

• SygrisSygris WilPosts: 26Member
    Originally posted by Otakun
    If Trion can actually publish this game in less then a year unlike other publishers then I might actually give a crap that they got it but considering alls this means is we got to wait another year + for Trion to get off their asses to translate this game before we even get to touch it. Hopefully they will do some kinda sub deal like they SOE did or does whichever it is now where you only need 1 sub to play Archage and Rift. =P

trion is planning on releasing aa later this year.

source: http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/24/trion-to-publish-xl-games-massive-online-game-archeage-in-western-markets-exclusive/#EHJ77rD3og1pMjDQ.99

• KarteliKarteli Providence, PAPosts: 2,646Member
    Originally posted by Sygris

source: http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/24/trion-to-publish-xl-games-massive-online-game-archeage-in-western-markets-exclusive/#EHJ77rD3og1pMjDQ.99

uh oh..

It’s all you expect from a triple-A game,” [Buttler, CE of Trion California] said. “In this category, you have to see World of Warcraft as competition.

I really hope they aren't going to try to compete with WoW and start redoing stuff.

BTW, I didn't see where Trion is trying to release AA this year.  It will eventually go into testing this year, sometime later.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• SygrisSygris WilPosts: 26Member
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Sygris

uh oh..

It’s all you expect from a triple-A game,” [Buttler, CE of Trion California] said. “In this category, you have to see World of Warcraft as competition.

I really hope they aren't going to try to compete with WoW and start redoing stuff.

BTW, I didn't see where Trion is trying to release AA this year.  It will eventually go into testing this year, sometime later.

you should find it right over the picture of the hariharan.

"Trion aims to launch the game later this year in North America, Europe, Turkey, Australia, and New Zealand."

• KarteliKarteli Providence, PAPosts: 2,646Member
    "Trion aims to launch the game later this year in North America, Europe, Turkey, Australia, and New Zealand."

yummy, thanks for the link.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    wow i REALLY did not see that one coming i for sure thought NCSOFT was going to pick this one up.. well good for Trion i think they will do great with it and really hope it comes soon to the US

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member

Good question.

i'd say two reasons for me

1. Archage finally gets a US publisher and a probable 2013 release in the US

2. Trion is a great company imho.. especially compared to some other companies that run MMOs out there

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Denver, COPosts: 256Member
    Just saw the news! This game will be epic.
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Ft. Bliss, TXPosts: 3,487Member Uncommon
    Nice to see AA finally getting an NA publisher. A lot of people should be happy, especially since it's Trion Worlds, which is one of the few publishers with a decent history. Was looking like TESO would be the GOTY shoe in for  2013 but we'll see if AA really gets launched this year.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Good question.

i'd say two reasons for me

1. Archage finally gets a US publisher and a probable 2013 release in the US

2. Trion is a great company imho.. especially compared to some other companies that run MMOs out there

Number 1 is great, but why number 2?  Why is Trion going to better than any other NA publisher? Granted the list of decent NA publishers is meager, but Trion doesn't have a great record at all.  What have they done, other than some incredible marketing with regards to their own public image?