Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Let's list the games on this site that has no persistent world

13»

Comments

  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by Vhaln

    Have to admit, I've been disappointed with almost every MMO shooter.  Not because they're shooters, but because they are not MMOs.  They might as well just be your typical multiplayer game, with nothing but a matchmaking server, for individual matches.  The only thing that's persistent or massive is the collection of character stats and the like.  There's no massive world involved, at all.  

     

    It's like if WoW had nothing but LFG queues and raids.  No other zones, not even Ogrimmar.  It wouldn't be an MMO.  Why is it that shooters get a pass for it?

    PS2 has a big world.

    Which shooters are you talking about? There aren't that many MMO shooters, right?

  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,813Member
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Vhaln

    Have to admit, I've been disappointed with almost every MMO shooter.  Not because they're shooters, but because they are not MMOs.  They might as well just be your typical multiplayer game, with nothing but a matchmaking server, for individual matches.  The only thing that's persistent or massive is the collection of character stats and the like.  There's no massive world involved, at all.  

     

    It's like if WoW had nothing but LFG queues and raids.  No other zones, not even Ogrimmar.  It wouldn't be an MMO.  Why is it that shooters get a pass for it?

    PS2 has a big world.

    Which shooters are you talking about? There aren't that many MMO shooters, right?

    CrimeCraft, Global Agenda, War Z, PS2, Huxley, WW2 Online, Fallen Earth, War Rock. Hellgate London, Planetside 1, and thats pretty much just the tip of the iceberg. Most don't do well because they lack the persistent world MMO players want. Others have just been porely designed and fall off the radar and or close down. 

  • VhalnVhaln Chicago, ILPosts: 3,159Member
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

    PS2 has a big world.

    Which shooters are you talking about? There aren't that many MMO shooters, right?

     

    Well, they're not really MMOs, and I guess that's kinda the point.  but there have been a number of them recently, that get advertised as such, and I've checked them out, only to lose interest as soon as I see that the only MMO part is a lobby screen.  I can't remember the names of some of the ones I tried, but for example, MWO and Hawken, Warframe, Tribes, Blacklight.. feels like the list goes on and on, some claiming to be MMOs more than others, but all of them following an almost identical lobby formula.

     

    I'm not complaining about what they're called really.  It's more that I'm complaining because I'd love to see shooters that do have more of a big open world, more like Firefall.  Even PS2, it has a world, but it's the most paper thin gameworld I've ever seen in an MMO.  Might as well just be a giant instance, for how little it feels like a world, lacking even basic art assets that give any indication that there's any more going on there than bases to capture.

    When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

  • PhelcherPhelcher Boston, MAPosts: 1,053Member
    Por kid...

    Narius, I neither agree, or disagree because the premis of the question is not germane to the website.

    Do you think mcdonalds is the best hamburger..? If not, this the perfect place to discuss it, alomg with the other "serious" things you mention.. lol

    Read my 3 point post again.. then let it sink in kid.

    You are unable to define lobby game, that is why ur troll is so weak. U run from post that directly rebuttal you. Take your troll to the non-mmorpg section.

    "No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."


    -Nariusseldon

  • QuirhidQuirhid TamperePosts: 5,969Member Common
    Originally posted by lizardbones


    I never played GW1. Can you craft in the cities? What about NPC vendors and dueling other players?

    * Could you pick up a quest, do all the steps of the quest and complete the quest within the confines of the persistent city?

     

    • Only crafting GW1 had was armorcrafting and yes, that was mainly done in cities, towns and camps.
    • Overwhelming majority of NPC vendors were in cities, towns and camps.
    • The aforementioned areas were non-combat areas. No dueling.
    • Yes, you could pickup a quest and do all the steps all within a city, town or camp.

     

    I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

    PS2 has a big world.

    Which shooters are you talking about? There aren't that many MMO shooters, right?

     

    Well, they're not really MMOs, and I guess that's kinda the point.  but there have been a number of them recently, that get advertised as such, and I've checked them out, only to lose interest as soon as I see that the only MMO part is a lobby screen.  I can't remember the names of some of the ones I tried, but for example, MWO and Hawken, Warframe, Tribes, Blacklight.. feels like the list goes on and on, some claiming to be MMOs more than others, but all of them following an almost identical lobby formula.

     

    I'm not complaining about what they're called really.  It's more that I'm complaining because I'd love to see shooters that do have more of a big open world, more like Firefall.  Even PS2, it has a world, but it's the most paper thin gameworld I've ever seen in an MMO.  Might as well just be a giant instance, for how little it feels like a world, lacking even basic art assets that give any indication that there's any more going fon there than bases to capture.

    Oh .. those games. The lobby formula *is* popular because it let you just dive in and combat.

    And i think that is the point. You don't need the "world feel" to make a good game. PS2 is a very focus game. There is the reason why there is nothing else .. it want to be the best shoot-the-other-guy big battle game. Sure, i don't think i can tell if PS2 is run on a large instanced with 1000 players, or a full persistent world. But why would i care if my goal is to have big battles?

     

  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by lizardbones


    I never played GW1. Can you craft in the cities? What about NPC vendors and dueling other players?

    * Could you pick up a quest, do all the steps of the quest and complete the quest within the confines of the persistent city?

     

    • Only crafting GW1 had was armorcrafting and yes, that was mainly done in cities, towns and camps.
    • Overwhelming majority of NPC vendors were in cities, towns and camps.
    • The aforementioned areas were non-combat areas. No dueling.
    • Yes, you could pickup a quest and do all the steps all within a city, town or camp.

     

    Good points. I think i will keep GW1 in the list. Note that PvE combat, main focus of many MMO gameplay, is done mainly outside of the persistent city zones.

  • JohnRJohnR Minneapolis, MNPosts: 12Member
    City of Heroes/Villains/Going Rogue  As already noted earlier here at MMORPG.com the virtual world for entire community (loosely estimated at 200,000+ was taken away on Nov. 30, 2012.  Perhaps CoH/CoX does not fit this topic of lacking a persistent world, but even tho I can no longer log in to play CoH, many of my fellow players and fans remain deeply invested in our non-persistent world, creating videos, sharing stories, etc, some merely recounted yet others are wholly new.  Hope this fits the original post topic.  Thanks and have a great day!  /em holdtorch
  • drebiandrebian San Diego, CAPosts: 28Member
    Originally posted by JohnR
    City of Heroes/Villains/Going Rogue  As already noted earlier here at MMORPG.com the virtual world for entire community (loosely estimated at 200,000+ was taken away on Nov. 30, 2012.  Perhaps CoH/CoX does not fit this topic of lacking a persistent world, but even tho I can no longer log in to play CoH, many of my fellow players and fans remain deeply invested in our non-persistent world, creating videos, sharing stories, etc, some merely recounted yet others are wholly new.  Hope this fits the original post topic.  Thanks and have a great day!  /em holdtorch

    That's not quite what the OP was going for as a definition of a non-persistent world game. City of Heroes/Villains/Going Rogue did have a persistent world (ie you could run into other players while out killing things and questing). The company simply shut down the game. If by your definition this makes it a non-persistent world game, then we should add every game that has failed to this list.

  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by drebian
    Originally posted by JohnR
    City of Heroes/Villains/Going Rogue  As already noted earlier here at MMORPG.com the virtual world for entire community (loosely estimated at 200,000+ was taken away on Nov. 30, 2012.  Perhaps CoH/CoX does not fit this topic of lacking a persistent world, but even tho I can no longer log in to play CoH, many of my fellow players and fans remain deeply invested in our non-persistent world, creating videos, sharing stories, etc, some merely recounted yet others are wholly new.  Hope this fits the original post topic.  Thanks and have a great day!  /em holdtorch

    That's not quite what the OP was going for as a definition of a non-persistent world game. City of Heroes/Villains/Going Rogue did have a persistent world (ie you could run into other players while out killing things and questing). The company simply shut down the game. If by your definition this makes it a non-persistent world game, then we should add every game that has failed to this list.

    Yeah ... shut down games don't count.

    And that just reminds me ... does Hellgate London counts? I played it briefly and i remember that all action is in instance .. and the only persistent zone is the base/city.

  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    MMORPG ELITISTS UNITE!!!

    Sorry, which team t-shirt have I been assigned to wear this week?

    Got my pompoms, all ready to do some rawr me too!

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Freeland, MI, MIPosts: 1,122Member
    Every zone in every mmo is an instance that separates players. There is no MMORPG. If the definition requires a persistent world, by the op definition, there is no such thing as an mmo.

    If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.
    image

  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Every zone in every mmo is an instance that separates players. There is no MMORPG. If the definition requires a persistent world, by the op definition, there is no such thing as an mmo.

    hmm .. PS2 has a persistent world, and running non-stop, with or without you.

     

13»
Sign In or Register to comment.