Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHYYYY LEVELS WHYYYY

Comments

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    [...]Smacks of pure brilliance to take old outdated used up MMORPG designs that companies stopped using due to new ideas[...]

The sad part about that is that companies today STILL use the old outdated systems, only a few have attempted to break out...

If there's one thing I do have to agree though, TESO failed hard when I heard news about some new social network integration system that they worked real hard to implement. That was like the only "gameplay" related feature I've heard amongst all the stuff they talked about, which was mainly lore. And of all the features mentioned, it had to be something so pointless too...

I'm wary of TESO's development. I'm picturing a similar fiasco to Final Fantasy XIV, which I truly, wholeheartedly hope won't be the case (since I do like TES franchise), but at this rate it's heading that direction.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    What? Previous ES games have levels too.

With SCALEABLE content, not with railed zones.

No amount of talking is going to change the fact that this is nothing more than DaoC 2 with TES skins because few give a rats behind about another DaoC game, so they are hoping they can get more people to play it just because it has the TES name.

Smacks of pure brilliance to take old outdated used up MMORPG designs that companies stopped using due to new ideas and then taking a beloved IP in hopes its popularity will mask its blandness. This is so lacking in TES even the damn ELVES WERE CHANGED, where are the dang ALIEN looking ugly arse elves?

BROAD GENERALIZATIONS! CAPITALS TO EMPHASIZE NON VALID POINTS! NOBODY WANTS IT BECAUSE I DON'T!

Just go play Skyrim, you won't be happy with ESO no matter how it turns out, because it's an MMO, and I guess that genre is used up. Not trying to fling crap, but at this point it's just opinion vs opinion, facts were abandoned upon login to this website.

You are right, making a post with actual details is making broad generalizations and repling to it with no refutes other than YOU ARE WRONG OMGZ GO PLAY SOMETHING ELSE...isnt.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505
    The freedom in the elder scrolls series really came from the scaled content, but would that actually work in an MMO?

Besides that I don't believe we have enough information to get angry about. The quote you guys are complaining about is all PR speak. Most games don't "open up" at end game, that's just all in our head. Most MMOs have plenty of content leading up to the level cap, we are just so focused on the vertical progression most of us don't take the time to enjoy it. You can argue that the content isn't enjoyable until you reach the end game but we don't have enough information about specific content to make that assumption about this game. What we know?

The game won't contain traditional quest hubs, you will pick up quests as you adventure - sounds a lot like an ES game
    The game will contain a main story arc you can follow - sounds like an ES game
    The game contains a standard leveling system as well as ways to level your weapons and armor - like is ES games
    A more active combat system with the ability to actively block with your shield - see above

Yes there are changes being made to make the game work in a multiplayer setting but so far a lot of it seems to be staying true to past Elder Scrolls games.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

No amount of talking is going to change the fact that this is nothing more than DaoC 2 with TES skins because few give a rats behind about another DaoC game, so they are hoping they can get more people to play it just because it has the TES name.

Smacks of pure brilliance to take old outdated used up MMORPG designs that companies stopped using due to new ideas and then taking a beloved IP in hopes its popularity will mask its blandness. This is so lacking in TES even the damn ELVES WERE CHANGED, where are the dang ALIEN looking ugly arse elves?

BROAD GENERALIZATIONS! CAPITALS TO EMPHASIZE NON VALID POINTS! NOBODY WANTS IT BECAUSE I DON'T!

Just go play Skyrim, you won't be happy with ESO no matter how it turns out, because it's an MMO, and I guess that genre is used up. Not trying to fling crap, but at this point it's just opinion vs opinion, facts were abandoned upon login to this website.

You are right, making a post with actual details is making broad generalizations and repling to it with no refutes other than YOU ARE WRONG OMGZ GO PLAY SOMETHING ELSE...isnt.

There was no part of your post with detail, other than "wahhhh I don't like this feature". The truth is a painful cruel beast. At least my suggestion was a solution to the problem other than just more crying because they arent designing the game for you.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Because WoW and GW2 have levels, and this game is just a clone. 
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by pb1285n
    The freedom in the elder scrolls series really came from the scaled content, but would that actually work in an MMO?
    First, yes it would work...And the freedom also came from the ability to play the class you want, with the race you want to join the faction you want...or not joing any faction, in an open world where you can go where you want, when you want.

The game won't contain traditional quest hubs, you will pick up quests as you adventure - sounds a lot like an ES game Yet TES did have traditional quest hubs along with being able to find quests out in the wild...so, no, it doesnt make it like TES.
    The game will contain a main story arc you can follow - sounds like an ES game No. it sounds like every RPG.
    The game contains a standard leveling system as well as ways to level your weapons and armor - like is ES games Yes and the game will have names of places and people in TES, doesnt mean its TES. Without scaling content, its pointless and not like TES. it instead becomes a 1-50 zoned area content on a rail game where once you hit a higher level, the lower level content becomes OBSOLETE which is NOTHING like TES where 100% of the game can be played 100% of the time...which is why Oblivion is still as popular now as it was 7 YEARS ago...and YES, it is, just go to the Nexus website and look at how many times some of the NEW mods have been downloaded in the last month.
    A more active combat system with the ability to actively block with your shield - see above Block? You are going with the ability to block with a shield to tie it to TES combat? Seriously? Thousands of posts on their offical Skyrim forums about how they butchered TES magic casting by limiting it to 2 freaking buttons and you are going to go with "you can block with a shield" and so its TES combat...talk about REACHING.

Yes there are changes being made to make the game work in a multiplayer setting but so far a lot of it seems to be staying true to past Elder Scrolls games. Complete garbage. You may as well run down the list of monster and city names to make it sound like the game is just like TES games...

Its SIMPLE.

Races are now placed in different factions. You will be FORCED to play a faction according to what race you want to play, you will be limited to that factions zones, PvP will be limited to contested zones. 1-50 is to get you to the "good" part of the game, the END game. 

You have NO choices. The world will be made so once you blow through content, you wont be going back. These things have already been said by the Developers. This is not TES, this is DaoC 2...it even has DaoC cutesy Elves...TES elves are fugly ALIEN looking.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Betaguy

Originally posted by cwliias
    ... When i heard the words... "When the player hits lvl 50 thats when the game really opens up"... I cried a little... Am i over reacting and if so why and how in the hell is that not going to ruin this game... seriously... player lvls in a ES game... Sounds like a joke to me.

They have levels in the facet of you use a sword and it levels up yes... Not go grind XP and level up your character before you can REALLLY play the game

Not sure what games you two have been playing but yes ES games have normal conventional levels as well. Not in the sense of just leveling up skills/items.  There is a base level that levels up like in any game.  You should go replay Skyrim and take a closer look.

Not to mention the entire world has leveled with you ever since obilvion, if you're level 5 so is everything else, only exception being guards and (elite?) NPC's which are I believe about 3 levels higher.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76
    Cause it's a wow clone thats why.
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527

I dunno, from the actual gameplay vids elves look pretty ugly to me. As for scalable content, its never worked correctly. Just like beloved dye systems there are always huge issues. Coh, Gw2, Skyrim, all of them have very deminishing returns to carying degrees with thier scalable content. Skyrim once you hit level 30 (I think, its been awhile) monsters really stopped scaling to you, to the point you could easily slaughter dragons. In CoH the majority of the "scaling" was merely adding more mobs, which is pretty silly in a game where as a tank spec if you couldn't pull atleast 20 equal con mobs and kill them your load out was garbage. Even characters, much less groups, gained power from synergistic powersets that npc's did not, so merely adding another mob did not equal out the direct power level. Gw2 did it best, but also did so at the cost of progression. Sweet, I just gained a new level, too bad everything else in the game did too :( . And that is outside the noticable "goofs" where some levels did not scale down very well at all. No game that I have played, or have been told to try, has gotten content scaling to be effective. Funnily enough this is also an issue that most sandbox games suffer from, as even though many of them (like other Zenimax titles) have levels, they are essentially meaningless. For example when you have 100 hp and mobs do 100 damage, gaining a level and 10 hp is a big deal! It now takes 2 hits to kill you, effectively increasing your survivability by 100%. However when you gain level 3 and you get another 10 hp (120hp total) nothing has changed. It still takes 2 hits to kill you, and you will not have another meaningful level for 8 more levels.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    The difference is in Skyrim, once you finish leveling for all intents and purposes you've finsihed the game.  Not so in an MMO.  Just because there are levels (Morrowind, Oblivian and Skyrim had levels) doesn't mean its the end, it means the character has reached its peak, so to speak.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505

Originally posted by pb1285n
    First, yes it would work...And the freedom also came from the ability to play the class you want, with the race you want to join the faction you want...or not joing any faction, in an open world where you can go where you want, when you want.

The game won't contain traditional quest hubs, you will pick up quests as you adventure - sounds a lot like an ES game Yet TES did have traditional quest hubs along with being able to find quests out in the wild...so, no, it doesnt make it like TES.
    The game will contain a main story arc you can follow - sounds like an ES game No. it sounds like every RPG.
    The game contains a standard leveling system as well as ways to level your weapons and armor - like is ES games Yes and the game will have names of places and people in TES, doesnt mean its TES. Without scaling content, its pointless and not like TES. it instead becomes a 1-50 zoned area content on a rail game where once you hit a higher level, the lower level content becomes OBSOLETE which is NOTHING like TES where 100% of the game can be played 100% of the time...which is why Oblivion is still as popular now as it was 7 YEARS ago...and YES, it is, just go to the Nexus website and look at how many times some of the NEW mods have been downloaded in the last month.
    A more active combat system with the ability to actively block with your shield - see above Block? You are going with the ability to block with a shield to tie it to TES combat? Seriously? Thousands of posts on their offical Skyrim forums about how they butchered TES magic casting by limiting it to 2 freaking buttons and you are going to go with "you can block with a shield" and so its TES combat...talk about REACHING.

Yes there are changes being made to make the game work in a multiplayer setting but so far a lot of it seems to be staying true to past Elder Scrolls games. Complete garbage. You may as well run down the list of monster and city names to make it sound like the game is just like TES games...

Its SIMPLE.

Races are now placed in different factions. You will be FORCED to play a faction according to what race you want to play, you will be limited to that factions zones, PvP will be limited to contested zones. 1-50 is to get you to the "good" part of the game, the END game. 

You have NO choices. The world will be made so once you blow through content, you wont be going back. These things have already been said by the Developers. This is not TES, this is DaoC 2...it even has DaoC cutesy Elves...TES elves are fugly ALIEN looking.

Can you explain to me how they could make enemies scale so that a level 50 maxed in weapon and armor skills would be on the same playing field in every area of the game without destroying the progression of the game? Its easy when its one player or if you are scaling down but to allow a level 1 player be at the same level as a max level player be at the same level as someone in the mid levels would require some sort of sorcery or take out stats and skill levels and simply make the battle system completely skill based which sounds nothing like an Elder Scrolls game to me.

As for the forced factions. Its easy to tell a story when its a single player game. If one race is at war with another having one person switch sides is believable. So when an orc turns against his race, it doesn't come off as much of a stretch. In a multiplayer game when you have race wars and you allow players choose which side they are on you'll have so many turncoats it becomes a huge mess. ES has always put storytelling first whether its the main plot, or the story you create yourself. To say they should throw that out so you can play whatever faction you want makes you sound unreasonable.

Destory the ES magic system? When did we bring up Skyrim again? Combat in ES has always been awful from the beginning.

The rest of your post is you whining and twisting the developers words up to fit your already preconceived notion about the game. You have decided to hate the game and nothing anyone says will change it. That's fine, nobody said you had to like it.
  • drebiandrebian Member Posts: 28

For the guys that keep using gameplay videos as an example (most recent was in regard to elven appearance), there are NO gameplay videos outside of EARLY ALPHA testing... You cannot logically judge a game based on videos that were released a long time ago in the early development phases. Wait until the game is released, wait a month or so and read the user reviews. Then if you decide that you want to try the game, give it a fair chance. That's the only logical way to judge a game.

Until then, please stop speculating.

EDIT: Spelling corrections

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    whole thread is stupid anyway because Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim HAVE LEVELS.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    whole thread is stupid anyway because Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim HAVE LEVELS.

Exactly. 

But you say in Skyrim your skill was your level, i.e. you use a skill and when it levels, your level is artificially boosted too.  Well ESO does the same thing, your arnmor and weapon skill levels different from your character level so in a sort of similar fashion it is the same exact thing.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Its SIMPLE.

You do have choices and they actually matter, there is the example from the alpha playthrough where you chose to either reinforce the army or save villagers and those you save will show up later in the game and help you out etc.

Also faction areas being locked will add to replayability as you will have 3 completely different pve games to experience with 100% different content, so replayability should be less of an issue here than in most themepark mmos.

And as one of the major focus of the game is the large scale pvp, which can be accessed ar level 10 I dont see that as saving the "good" stuff to level 50

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by deakon

Originally posted by jtcgs  Its SIMPLE. Races are now placed in different factions. You will be FORCED to play a faction according to what race you want to play, you will be limited to that factions zones, PvP will be limited to contested zones. 1-50 is to get you to the "good" part of the game, the END game.  You have NO choices. The world will be made so once you blow through content, you wont be going back. These things have already been said by the Developers. This is not TES, this is DaoC 2...it even has DaoC cutesy Elves...TES elves are fugly ALIEN looking.

Also faction areas being locked will add to replayability as you will have 3 completely different pve games to experience with 100% different content, so replayability should be less of an issue here than in most themepark mmos.

This is getting repeated over and over again does not make it true.

open up all 3 areas, make 3 alts, And then you have an experience 3x the scope of what you say above!

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by deakon

Originally posted by jtcgs  Its SIMPLE. Races are now placed in different factions. You will be FORCED to play a faction according to what race you want to play, you will be limited to that factions zones, PvP will be limited to contested zones. 1-50 is to get you to the "good" part of the game, the END game.  You have NO choices. The world will be made so once you blow through content, you wont be going back. These things have already been said by the Developers. This is not TES, this is DaoC 2...it even has DaoC cutesy Elves...TES elves are fugly ALIEN looking.

open up all 3 areas, make 3 alts, And then you have an experience 3x the scope of what you say above!

But then the content would need to be homogenized to fit every character, rather than having 3 stories defined by faction you would be left with a one size fits all aproach, which would be less replayable than content tailored for each faction

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Shaike

... When i heard the words... "When the player hits lvl 50 thats when the game really opens up"... I cried a little... Am i over reacting and if so why and how in the hell is that not going to ruin this game... seriously... player lvls in a ES game... Sounds like a joke to me.
    I will try to explain how i see itIf this new game had "levels" like in Skyrim for example (where you "level" something, like Alchemy/1-H Weapon/Smithing/Etc and this gives you XP to advance to the next level, only so you could get more stamina/mana/HP and/or a Skill Point) then equipment and weapons could be equiped by anyone, at any point of the game.Now in a Solo game (Like Skyrim) result will be that you start and (with a mod for an armor and weapons for example) at lvl1 you can have the "best" gear in the game. Imagin this in an MMO with an Auction-House of sorts.... Now you see how this does not make sense.You can claim that certain achievments needs to be fullfilled for specific gear to be equiped (lets say no levels, but you have to have enough Skill/Skill Points/Gear already equiped/whatever) - but they chose the WoW path which means you will have XP given to you once you kill something and once you finish quests...Well - i guess we don't have too long to w8 as Beta is right around the corner.....
    However, using Skyrim for my example, when I use a daedric sword at first level, it does a set amount of damage. As I level up my one-handed skill, the same sword starts doing more damage, because I am getting better at the skill. The sword itself factors in very little. It is the skill with which I use the blade that affects the outcome. A beginning player with a daedric sword will pale in comparison to say a 15th level player with skill in 1-handed and an iron sword.

Yes, a daedric sword is better than an iron or a steel sword and does a little more damage when starting out, but the sword itself does not really make a huge difference until my skill with it improves.

And then you have the smithing skill to improve the sword to even better stats :)

Did that make sense?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Betaguy
    Not sure what games you two have been playing but yes ES games have normal conventional levels as well. Not in the sense of just leveling up skills/items. There is a base level that levels up like in any game. You should go replay Skyrim and take a closer look.
    I have never gained a level from simply doing quests or just killing opponents in any TES game I have played. I have gained levels solely from using the skills available to me. I do not recall gaining a level when I talked to an NPC for quests.

What TES games have you been playing?

or... am I missing something here?

[EDIT]
    If I recall correctly, my leveling consisted of something like...
    My 1-handed skill improves a level. (That cool blue bar appears on my screen.)
    Then I get that nice little drum roll and another cool blue bar appears on my screen saying I just gained an overall character level. Time to gain magicka, health, or stamina and spend a skill point :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Anyone claiming this garbage is DAoC 2 never played DAoC.

If this was DAoC 2 we'd be in for the best MMO in 10 years.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Nitth

I personally don't want to be forced to creat 3 different characters to experience all of the game (this is coming from an altaholic) I just want to create a character and play the game. If I get to a point where it say's "you cannot do x or go to x for any reason other then I cannot do it 'yet' then I don't like it. I have no problem having something be difficult and unavailable till I gain more power/knowledge/friends but having invisible "sorry, you are not the right faction to enter this location" is just sucky design. It is a cop out. Put guards in, make border checkpoints and make it hard..but not impossible.

If I want to make a trader type character making 3 alts will not change the fact that any of these 3 alts cannot enter another factions lands to sell items and make trades. It means I can never have friends other then the 3 races locked into my faction. If I have a Breton I will never be able to have a friend who wants to play an argonian unless I resort to rolling up another character.

It is just poor design, lazy design, formulaic design...

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    I like levels.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I have no issue with levels in TESO.... As long as they're implemented and designed properly to suite the gameplay style. I think mmorpg needs some sence of "advancement rewards" either your character level which makes it more powerful as you go on or your weapon skills get more advanced, complex and stronger.

I think of it as a good idea for now, we'll see what they'll do exactly with them... If they go that way at all...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by nttajira

im tired of people who want level less mmorpg , free 2 pay game , buy to pay game , game where item dont matter

in my mmorpg i want :

1-  1 months subs , with no cash shop or other joke who never work and make game ghost town after 1 year or the dev stop update , why ?? who work for free baka ?????!!!  .

2- item who matter , if i got them and not you , you will die , in fact just thinking about casual hitting me while doing no dmg and me killing them in one shoot , would bring a smile to my face , i have killed 1000000 monster and you 5 , you think you would get a chance in a fight in real life vs someone like that ?? if you want skill game go play shooter , or starcraft 2 , they both need plenty of your ''skill'' .

3- i want level , alot of them , if the game require forever to hit the level cap , they are 100 % more chance im going to play until im here , because the game got a goal , you get better each new level , that how mmorpg work and should work . monster give me exp , i need to kill monster for level up and gain new skill . i also want big instance where i go for kill more monster !!

they are a good exemple of your crap system game who dont work curently out : guild war 2 , where i hit max level and did some instance , then something hard hit me , what the point ????

im playing mmorpg for get the same fealing i did when i started the genre , not because im bored of the genre , many people are just like me , they want a REAL MMORPG just like ultima online , everquest1-2 , wow at releases , or some other old classic game .

for them and me , the system was damn fine , and game more fun that many new releases .

and they want it new gen .

i dont want to play a new kind of mmorpg , i want a REAL mmorpg just like the old classic ( who btw was 100x better that all your hybrid crap of game where you hit max level in 2 week )

mmorpg dont need to change or evolve , they just need to go back in time , pick all the feature who have make the old game great 

and add all the new gen features .

signed : a angry old school mmorpg player who tired of your crap game and want some real mmorpg

Good post, completely agree.  Most "new" features are just dumb down or over used versions of an old game model simplified for the new A.D.D MMO crowd.

The I want easy fast leveling, mount at level 1 oh and F2P because I wont stick around long enough to earn anything good anyway, just going to ring a little fun out of the game and jump to something else next month crowd.

• morningstar991morningstar991 Member Posts: 2

/cheer

Current: Lotro (f2p); eve (sub)
    Played: UO; Doac; WOW; SWG (pre CU) Lotro; Eve
    Tried: GW1; FF?; war...Ect.
    Future: ESO