Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] ArcheAge: Jake Song On Teaming with Trion

Comments

• TubbiTubbi Member Posts: 74
    Good choice, looking forward to a european beta as well!
  • soltysplsoltyspl Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I wonder how much of the world/content/whatever will be completely obsoleted at level cap ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DStuff

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I may need to hunt out a happy clown face for my avatar now.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I think this marks the first time in MMORPG.com history that the entire site agrees on something

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    indeed great choice!!! I remember Trion had also the best customer support by far!
  • SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    o.O Talk about a savvy business move.  That's really unexpected.  *excited fist pump dance* 
  • derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265

I honestly thought they were going NCsoft lol. Anyways,  I'm looking forward to a beta for this. I'm still on the fence about Archeage since I haven't played it. But from every video it's like "OMG that's cool!" and then "Really?.....hmm" lol hope they have a good english launch. Good luck XL

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

WOW,

wow.  just wow!

in my wildest dreams for archeage, i was hoping for one of two companies to get pub rights:  turbine or trion.  and blam.  i CANNOT wait for this game to really hit the western world.  i haven't been this excited about a MMO game since ff11 was announced.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    I thought RIFTs gameplay was lame so I paid zero attention to it, but I am heartened by all the positive posts about Trion on this thread.  Thanks guys!  This is exciting.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    TRION...well, that certainly was an unexpected but welcome surprise!

I agree. Good choice.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by vtravi
    Hmm 30 levels of tutorial. How many players are gonna quite before they get through the tutorial. I only need about an hour to figure out how a game works. This seems excessive

Depends on how interesting the so called tutorial is. Why can't the tutorial be considered part of the game just like the later levels.

They just need to make it interesting.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Oh wow...great move going with Trion - Rift is a sold game but having Archeage will round them out nicely with an excellent sandbox. Can't wait!!

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Hmm 30 levels of tutorial. How many players are gonna quite before they get through the tutorial. I only need about an hour to figure out how a game works. This seems excessive

He said like a tutorial, not 30 levels of tutorial. I think it makes perfect sense in that today's MMO gamer is used to directed content, so they've designed the opening experience in such a way to explore the options available to the player (like a themepark). We've seen all the complaints about Age of Wushu, and it's lack of a guided experience in the beginning.

A decade ago MMO players were used to jumping in and making their own way, that isn't the case today.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I agree 100% and this is the one thing that really, and I mean REALLY turns me off about AA - at least based on hands on from others.

Hopefully we can skip it all starting at level 2 and not be ridiculously gimped.

You might say that WoW has 90 levels of tutorial until you get to the end game which is where people ultimately want to be.  30 levels seems reasonable to me.  And GW2 end game started at level 1. so i am guessing you prefer archage to be 100% sandbox...which i don't think it is.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676
    I think as a publisher trion will make it better.If they dont screw up like ea,activision etc
  • ionxeelionxeel Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Woot! What a pleasant surprice! Go Trion! Best customer service I ever experienced, as well as the level of polish they put into Rift.
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Glad XLgames went with Trion ! No better company to conduct business with!
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    After hearing that Trion is going to be a part of this, i might actually consider trying the game out now.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441
    Excellent news. Trion is a solid publishing base. Cant wait . . .

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Only 10 abillities?

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

The artists that made this game are to be congratulated.  As an artist myself, I am greatly impressed with the beauty of this game.  In some cases, it is breathtakingly beautiful.  I don't think I've seen any other game achieve better, and certainly not surpassed what the artists for Archeage have done.  If my computer can run it with that much beauty pouring forth from the screen, I will be doubly impressed.

I am so looking forward to this game.  Not to get on the hype bandwagon, but it looks good....DAMN GOOD.  Waiting is painful, like being 7 years old and Christmas two weeks away painful. 

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    I can't help but wonder if this has anything to do with Scott Hartsman leaving trion?

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Not to rain in on people's parade but what makes Trion such an outstanding publisher?  They've published one game so far and it's had less than average success.

The other game they were publishing, End of Nations is no longer being developed... or has had severely delayed development.

That other game they're working on Defiance isn't out yet.

Crytek's Warface (which they're publishing) isn't out yet.

They don't really have an outstanding record as a publisher.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Such great news!
  • ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

Trion is a really good choice.  Let's hope they handle the game with respect and keep gamers in mind instead of milking them.

I only have 2  concerns with AA.

Price of game and monthly fee/cash shop: I just wish they would go the GW2 route for sell and handling of the game.  The days of monthly fees are drawing to a end and a monthly fee + cash shop will just help kill the game faster.  Box sale + cash shop of only convenience items is a great system. Add  being able to buy items from the cash shop with in-game money and its a even greater system. 

Servers: I know the game is a open PvP game, but give players choice. The game is truly amazing, but honestly, i would just want to play the game in peace and actually enjoy it on a PvE server.

The game has a lot going for it, but if I have learned anything over the years of playing tons of MMOs it is this: the eastern devs don't like change and once they decide on something it will stay that way.  Unless your FFXIV and your game bombs so hard you have to completely re-design it.