Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hating the Haters

Comments

• ThedrizzleThedrizzle Member Posts: 322

I don't know why someone would care if another person on this forum is hating.

History shows that more than half this forum is filled with hating idiots who constantly cry sandbox and the funier part is even more than half of them have never even played a sandbox game.  They are theorizing about a game that really doesn't even have much info released about it yet and hasn't even gone into closed beta.

Stop being so sensitive, ignore the tools on these forums, better yet, don't even come to these forums because they really don't offer anything.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

OP, Welcome to Haters Annonymous

This site is filled with people who hate all MMOs that aren't sandbox. They won't play anything that is current, they're pissed that none of the big money developers are making a game for them, so they spend their days spewing vile on every AAA MMORPG. If you are going to post here, you have to put up with the vile because it will be here LONG after the game is released. Yes, they    will actually continue to gripe about the game they never liked  LONG after it's been released. They are that spiteful.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    Be happy it's 3 factions and not 2...
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    The crafting has me concerned, but I never hate on a game that I haven't played yet. I am looking forward to trying TESO out.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by ktanner3

This site is filled with people who hate all MMOs that aren't sandbox.

No it is not, I think you just maybe prefer to think that it is and think and talk in broad generalised sweeping statements.

I thoroughly enjoy themeparks. But they have to be *well made* themeparks that show ambition, scope, and a flash or two of innovation. I am not alone here and I do not recieve any 'hate' for my tastes. I also enjoy sandbox elements, for the record.. the camps are not as polarised as some here make out as they search for reasons to look down on others. Plenty of us cross over into both styles (most games are actually a hybrid of the two anyhow to some degree or other, as any clear thinker here will tell you). 

I also do not use the lazy cliche of 'haters', because I realise that being justifiably critical of something is not just 'hate', and I realise that you can be critical of something you actually in the main really like.

In general, I find not making huge statements about entire communities usually to be a good thing.

You are not *in* traffic, you *are* traffic.

Originally posted by Vesavius

No it is not, I think you just maybe prefer to think that it is and think and talk in broad generalised sweeping statements.

Yes it is. I've been here since 2006 and have gotten to know many of these posters well. While my post might not include you, it is 100 percent accurate for a large part of the people who go from forum to forum spewing the same garbage day in and day out. They hate the game before it is even released because it isn't a sandbox. When you go from game to game griping about features that were clearly stated AREN'T going to be in such games then yes, you are a HATER. The shoe fits. 

I enjoy sandbox elemants as well. I also enjoy themeparks. If the game is bad I say so and move on. I don't stick around   and actively cheer for the game to fail and laugh because the game doesn't have millions of subscribers. That's what haters do.  I guarentee you that after this game releases and doesn't end up being the WOW killer(as if their beloved sandboxes were WOW killers) the same posters will be here calling it a failure. 

Sorry bud, but this site is well known across the internet as being a haters haven. It isn't just my opinion. 

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Yes it is. I've been here since 2006 and have gotten to know many of these posters well. While my post might not include you, it is 100 percent accurate for a large part of the people who go from forum to forum spewing the same garbage day in and day out. They hate the game before it is even released because it isn't a sandbox. When you go from game to game griping about features that were clearly stated AREN'T going to be in such games then yes, you are a HATER. The shoe fits. 

I enjoy sandbox elemants as well. I also enjoy themeparks. If the game is bad I say so and move on. I don't stick around   and actively cheer for the game to fail and laugh because the game doesn't have millions of subscribers. That's what haters do.  I guarentee you that after this game releases and doesn't end up being the WOW killer(as if their beloved sandboxes were WOW killers) the same posters will be here calling it a failure. 

Sorry bud, but this site is well known across the internet as being a haters haven. It isn't just my opinion. 

What do you dont seem to understand that, some of us, who "hates" on this game is not only because it is not a sandbox type but rather because Skyrim is an open world sandbox type RPG where as ESO is a linear, hardcoded faction, themepark MMORPG.

So just like Warhammer fans hated WAR for being more like WoW than WAR (and even not DAoC), it is natural that Elder Scrolls fans who like the open world type of RPGs which Elders Scrolls are like, would not like the fact that ESO wont be.

As for haters heaven, this is not a nonsensical therm that some individuals on this site uses to label everyone who voices any kind of criticism. What I am wondering if, this site is as horrible as they say, why do they keep coming back? They clearly dont like it so is there some underlying agenda they have to come here and defend games from "haters"?

• Cameron27Cameron27 Member Posts: 142

Well ktanner3, I  think you're a little biased since you were crusading in defense of SWTOR for a good while. I suppose you labeled the people who said it would go f2p in under a year "haters," but they were just being honest.  Anyway if mmorpg.com is such a sandbox haven then why did Darkfall and Mortal Online get ripped to utter shreds on this site too? Actually those games endured more scrutiny than any themepark that's come out since then.

I like that TESO is staying low key on this website, maybe it will actually surprise people when it's ready to release. But if a GW2-esque hype train gets built up too big before release you're going to get an equal and opposite reaction to try to bring it down more toward reality.

"I will not play it nor any other MMO until they make it possible to obtain the best gear without forcing people to group up to do so." SwampRob

• ZalamandersZalamanders Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by zSurrender

I support this. I personally think I'll love this game, I don't know what people are crying about these days anyways. The problem isn't the game, it's the GAMERS. In fact, i've seen a lot of it on this website, I don't post here much, but I frequently view the website because I'm a fan of MMORPGs. I've played a lot of them in past years, and still present.

When I hear TESO had beta signup I was pysched, it just got me more excited for this game. Why the problem with the gamers? Because the expectations of today's gamers are WAY too fucking high. Like ridiculously high. And it's sad seeing this because the game isn't even OUT yet and it's being bashed by dumb trolls that will probably end up playing the game. No body gives a shit that you don't like it, I can't tell you what to like and what not to like, however you become a nuisance when you constantly cry and bitch about a VIDEO GAME on a forum. I personally think the problem lies within the gaming community, i've seen TOO many games being bashed due to high expectations from "gamers".

End rant.

TESO will rock, if you don't like it, well.. then I feel sorry for you.

You are so right about the gaming community hating so much on mmos not innovating up to their standards. I agree wholeheartedly with your reply to this topic.

Originally posted by Yamota

What do you dont seem to understand that, some of us, who "hates" on this game is not only because it is not a sandbox type but rather because Skyrim is an open world sandbox type RPG where as ESO is a linear, hardcoded faction, themepark MMORPG.

So you hate it because it isn't a sandbox, which is proving my point. 

So just like Warhammer fans hated WAR for being more like WoW than WAR (and even not DAoC), it is natural that Elder Scrolls fans who like the open world type of RPGs which Elders Scrolls are like, would not like the fact that ESO wont be.

As for haters heaven, this is not a nonsensical therm that some individuals on this site uses to label everyone who voices any kind of criticism.

Bull. Valid criticism is not why they are called haters. There are some threads open right now on this sub forum that are criutical of ESO without being beligerant and offering sound suggestions. No one is calling those thread starters haters. Learn the difference. 

What I am wondering if, this site is as horrible as they say, why do they keep coming back? They clearly dont like it so is there some underlying agenda they have to come here and defend games from "haters"?

HAs nothing to do with hating the site. I'm just pointing out the truth to the OP and telling him that haters is something you have to deal with when posting here. Sorry if this puts a bug up your butt, but if we have to deal with posters derailing threads with the same garbage over and over and cheering on games to fail, then they are just going to have to deal with us calling them haters. 

Originally posted by Cameron27

Well ktanner3, I  think you're a little biased since you were crusading in defense of SWTOR for a good while. I suppose you labeled the people who said it would go f2p in under a year "haters," but they were just being honest.

Correction, I've posted numerous times about my issues with that game and what I thought they should have done differently. The trouble is, it always got buried by the numerous posters spewing flat out lies about the game and I made it a point to correct them. You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts. Dislike the game fine. Not every game is for everyone. But don't just make stuff up. 

Far as my bias goes, it has to do with watching what happened in LOTRO, AOC,WArhammer, STO,Rift,DCUO and SWTOR forums. That's a pretty good stretch of games and years to form a valid opinion of a  forum community. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I'm a hater myself
    I hate swtor
    I hate wow (although the dungeons are fun)
    I hate Aoc
    I mostly hate rift (although I admire the devs commitment to the game)

The difference between me and these TESO haters though, I've actually played these games
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Istavaan

I think even one of the mmorpg staff, who had test-played the game, said it was a ThemePark so I think it is pretty much a sure thing that it is. And an Elder Scrolls game, which are traditionally open ended sandboxy RPGs, contrary to linear story based one's like Dragon Age, being created as a ThemePark deserves to be hated.

It is like taking a piss on your fanbase and creating something completely else.

just like how warcraft was an rts and they made it a mmorpg, is that not pissing on your fanbase? You've no idea what this game will be like yet you are hating it already, see it for yourself before you start throwing tantrums.

very much agreed.. the blind hatred over themeparks on these forums is just sad... from all i have read sounds like they have some solid ideas so hopefully it will pan out

Sounds familiar. Definitely wait until they release more of the information about the game to see for yourself. It's weird that people jump to conclusions and dance around the evidence.

People on these forums I agree Aerwyn are typically jumpers who try to make issues where none exist without evidence to back their claims up. Experienced it the entire time I've been coming to these forums.

The only time this happened to me was with GW2 and it's still up in the air so I'm waiting to see what they do in the next three months of patches. Their game was awesome the first month for players like me players they claimed they understood and wanted but then decided to completely go against their original design in Nov 15th and make the game an actual WoW clone. (grinding dungeons over and over again, for a completely fail RNG system that even WoW left behind years ago is not open world meta events and gearing without a grind, and no gear treadmill which they've begun to add with ascended)

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

As for haters heaven, this is not a nonsensical therm that some individuals on this site uses to label everyone who voices any kind of criticism. What I am wondering if, this site is as horrible as they say, why do they keep coming back? They clearly dont like it so is there some underlying agenda they have to come here and defend games from "haters"?

Skyrim is not a sandbox game - it is a thempark. If you think that then all the games out there are sandbox games - just because you like Skyrim DOES NOT MAKE IT A SANDBOX game. Just because you can explore does not make it a sandbox game.

Hater heaven is not a non-sensical term, for this site, because this site is known as exactly that. People do come here to read all the hate that is spewed at every game that is not what the forum users call a 'SANDBOX GAME'. It is sad and funny that people throw so much good talent and prose on hating games.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Anyone would think daoc was a bunch of linear zones with a tiered raiding end game and instanced to hell and back, reading some of these threads.

In effect it only just falls in the themepark camp, its the least themeparky themepark there is, even less so than even eq1. It has more in common with hybrids like ac, swg and indeed skyrim than it does uber themeparks like swtor, wow and tsw.
  • NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

I think with forums like these that have been around a long time, people have seen so many MMOs they hoped would finally break the grip the generic themepark template has held on the genre and finally give us something we havent done a 100 thousand times before in a 100 MMOGs this last 10--15 years. it's tough for people who come here and get excited for the newest thing coming, when to me, I have seen it all before. Jaded? yes, but i'm still looking for a good MMO to get my hands on and have some fun. it's my hobby I take it serious. it's how I unwind.

ESO/TESO whatever way you like to say it, needs some more love. I must admit i'm holding out hope for the 3 faction thing to get corrected if ever. But thats about it. we know very little and we have to assume it's NOT going to deviate that much from all the others themies we have played.

So it's natural that i'm going to hold the company to a higher standards simply because of elder scrolls. I want to steal your furniture/backpack in your house, that alone I would give them my money. but we all know it will follow the pattern unless they suprise us with something way awesome, which I hope they do. And whenever a developer tells you "we will work on it after release" that the oldest scam in the book. Walk away if they ever say "after release we are adding this" odds are it's never getting added to the game.

But it can still be a game people love, some of us like to wait and see.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Yes it is. I've been here since 2006 and have gotten to know many of these posters well. While my post might not include you, it is 100 percent accurate for a large part of the people who go from forum to forum spewing the same garbage day... /snip

Wow...

Maybe you just need a break? It all seems to be getting to you...

Like I say, I don't feel the hate towards my taste 90% of the time, and if I ever do I am not personally offended by it because I get different people like different things.

I do loathe the lazy overuse of the word 'hater' though. It's simplistic and antagonistic and dismisses some valid views straight out of hand. It's just bad debate tbh.

This is also an extremely negative thread that can only bring, in truth, more negativity. A lot of which has come from you as you attack and entire website because they don't think like you want them to. Ask yourself... are you the solution of the problem? What are you actually doing here to change the culture for the better? 

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    I can't speak for the other so-called "haters", but I will tell you why I actually make the comments that I make about this game: It's because I actually care. If I didn't care, I would remain silent and not even bother to pay attention to its development.
    Originally posted by botrytis

Skyrim is not a sandbox game - it is a thempark. If you think that then all the games out there are sandbox games - just because you like Skyrim DOES NOT MAKE IT A SANDBOX game. Just because you can explore does not make it a sandbox game.

Hater heaven is not a non-sensical term, for this site, because this site is known as exactly that. People do come here to read all the hate that is spewed at every game that is not what the forum users call a 'SANDBOX GAME'. It is sad and funny that people throw so much good talent and prose on hating games.

Skyrim is a themepark because....?

It is not a quest hub based game, it is a free form exploration game where you can ignore the story line and go do whatever you want, that is not how ThemeParks are designed.

It is not level or class based. It is hybrid skill based with focus on skill exp and no classes, another hallmark of sandbox games. There are no hardcoded factions but rather you are free to join the one's you want.

The only thing common it has with ThemePark games is that it has a story line to follow but that is not the focus of the game and not what makes it great. Skyrim is a sandbox style RPG, period.

Regarding you fanbous continual accusation of haters this and haters that. This site even has a moderation rule, which has been used alot, where you are warned/banned for "excessive negative posts". So this site is not haters heaven as you fanboys claim.

It is more that you are like sensitive flowers who cannot, for some reason, read other peoples post about not liking the game you like where as I personally dont give a crap if you like this game or not. It is you who have the problem with other people not liking it.

Originally posted by FallguyArmy
    I can't speak for the other so-called "haters", but I will tell you why I actually make the comments that I make about this game: It's because I actually care. If I didn't care, I would remain silent and not even bother to pay attention to its development.

Well put, if I did not care about the Elder Scrolls franchise I would not give a shit about this game.

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76

I wouldn't classify myself as a "hater"...but....I will say this...

If it looks like a turd....

Smells like a turd....

Sounds like a turd....

It's probably a turd.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    "Hater" is one of those words like "racist" and "date-rape"--words bandied about so much for the minorest of infractions that the words have lost all power. It's more like a personal prayer--it makes the guy saying it feel good, but it doesn't (or at least shouldn't if your head is screwed on right) phase the people it's lobbed at.
  • ibn_Cartwellibn_Cartwell Member Posts: 47
    Yamoto wins this thread.
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

very much agreed.. the blind hatred over themeparks on these forums is just sad... from all i have read sounds like they have some solid ideas so hopefully it will pan out

Sounds familiar. Definitely wait until they release more of the information about the game to see for yourself. It's weird that people jump to conclusions and dance around the evidence.

People on these forums I agree Aerwyn are typically jumpers who try to make issues where none exist without evidence to back their claims up. Experienced it the entire time I've been coming to these forums.

The only time this happened to me was with GW2 and it's still up in the air so I'm waiting to see what they do in the next three months of patches. Their game was awesome the first month for players like me players they claimed they understood and wanted but then decided to completely go against their original design in Nov 15th and make the game an actual WoW clone. (grinding dungeons over and over again, for a completely fail RNG system that even WoW left behind years ago is not open world meta events and gearing without a grind, and no gear treadmill which they've begun to add with ascended)

+1. 

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

I agree with you 100%. I have been here since 2007, and look at my post count. I don't post often because people on these forums are always "If it is not Sandbox, get out, your game sucks!"

The pure hate on these forums for anything that is not a sandbox is insane.

I like Themeparks and Sandbox.... actually as long as I am enjoying my time I like any game. I don't insult games I don't like. I don't cry foul if a game I don't like is developed. For example, I do not like FPS games in general. However, I love Bioshock games. I don't go to Call of Duty websites and go... "OMG CALL OF DUTY SUCKS BECAUSE IT IS NOT BIOSHOCK"

People need to relax... play the games you like and get over yourselves.

This discussion has been closed.