Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

TERA, SW:TOR or another option?

Elitekill4Elitekill4 BirminghamPosts: 99Member

I'm an F2P MMO gamer. Either that or I'm gonna end up torrenting more single player games. :c

 

Seeing as the new beta for TERA has come out, I'm definitely thinking about playing that - but I've kinda got my eyes on SW:TOR at the moment. No idea why.

 

I like:

Action

Working PvP that's fun (although I already have a couple games for that)

Crafting

Raiding or dungeon crawling that doesn't take hours on end to prep everyone for BUT isn't the main goal of the game (ie, gear treadmill)

 

I don't think there's really much else I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

 

Games I've tried:

Maplestory

Runescape (I bot this lol)

Guild Wars (B2P, no money atm)

EQ2

LOTRO (still have an acc on there but cba to buy expansions)

WoW on a private server

 

I'll edit the post as I think of more to add.

Comments

  • AeonbladesAeonblades Home, GAPosts: 2,083Member

    TERA could be fun if the F2P is right, but as a paying subscriber to SWTOR (soon to not be) I really can't recommend it to anyone, especially the F2P crowd. They limit you on everything, right down to your freaking action bars. I held on for as long as I could to TOR but I can't honestly recommend it.

    Age of Conan is pretty much free to level 80 now I hear. Also the dungeons are fun and the PvP is as well.

    Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

  • jtcgsjtcgs New Port Richey, ILPosts: 1,777Member

    DDO for dungeon crawls that is not centered on gear.

    Vindictus for action combat, makes Tera combat look like a joke even though Tera based their combat on Vindictus.

    PvP thats fun? fun is realitive to the persons experience. For me I would say GW2 because I am in a large PvP guild and right now there is no shortage of people to fight plus the game is going to get a massive PvP update soon expanding it all.

    As for crafting...good luck with that one, crafting has mostly become an after thought for game makers, though there are some in the making that "promise" deep crafting.

    “I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

  • VidirVidir GothenburgPosts: 944Member Uncommon
    Ac2 is the best option for now imo.
  • FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Davenport, FLPosts: 80Member
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

    TERA could be fun if the F2P is right, but as a paying subscriber to SWTOR (soon to not be) I really can't recommend it to anyone, especially the F2P crowd. They limit you on everything, right down to your freaking action bars. I held on for as long as I could to TOR but I can't honestly recommend it.

    Age of Conan is pretty much free to level 80 now I hear. Also the dungeons are fun and the PvP is as well.

    For once, you and I actually have something to agree on. Everything you just said is correct, no arguments on my end.

  • AeonbladesAeonblades Home, GAPosts: 2,083Member
    Originally posted by FallguyArmy
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

    TERA could be fun if the F2P is right, but as a paying subscriber to SWTOR (soon to not be) I really can't recommend it to anyone, especially the F2P crowd. They limit you on everything, right down to your freaking action bars. I held on for as long as I could to TOR but I can't honestly recommend it.

    Age of Conan is pretty much free to level 80 now I hear. Also the dungeons are fun and the PvP is as well.

    For once, you and I actually have something to agree on. Everything you just said is correct, no arguments on my end.

    Every once in a while I get lucky and my brain misfires and I say something that makes sense!

    Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

  • XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,940Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by jtcgs

    DDO for dungeon crawls that is not centered on gear.

     

     

    Also DDO's combat is a bit actiony in its own way.

     


    Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com
  • NoobkilarNoobkilar streator, ILPosts: 175Member

    Tera I played a little bit, it was decent but I never played enough to really tell you pro/con's .

    SWTOR I played for 4 months I think or so, got 6 chars. to cap. Problem with the F2P model is mentioned above and warzones grow old real quick no real open world pvp at all besides some low areas that cross like nar shadda and tatooine wastelands.  Crafting is a joke, lag is real bad in the stations and the instance dungs on hard mode you won't beable to do if I recall unless you sub.

    I am interested to see what ESO offers but I am 95% sure it will be sub based.

    Darkfall Unholy wars = LOLZ ( pay once cry alot )

  • XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,940Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Noobkilar
     

    Darkfall Unholy wars = LOLZ ( pay once cry alot )

     

    DF:UW is sub based after the beta is done.

     


    Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com
  • Methos12Methos12 Maladis 46Posts: 1,234Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by XAPGames

    Originally posted by jtcgs DDO for dungeon crawls that is not centered on gear.  
      Also DDO's combat is a bit actiony in its own way.
    DDO is a peculiar case. It should be action-y when you look at it, especially when you modify the control scheme to act that way, but mechanically game doesn't play it like that. To provide an example; you can attack on the move but the game will impose limitations (fewer dice rolls for that attack aka lower chances to hit your target) if you actually do it.  So basically, you really don't want to move while attacking unless you use some kind of specific skirmishing build or something that can offset lower rolls with the right feats.

    Nature without Technology is little more than animals running about.
    Nature without Magic is without wonder or miracle.
    .........
    Magic without Technology is fantasy.
    Magic without Nature is formless and useless.
    .........
    Technology without Nature is application without understanding.
    Technology without Magic is repetitious and uninventive.
  • differentdifferent Markt IndersdorfPosts: 180Member

    AION, that's supposed to have a very good F2P implementation. Can't comment on the game itself as I've never played it.

    Falen Earth - great crafting but a slower pace

    TSW - B2P, great game but you have to use your brain with this on.

    TERA depends on F2P option. Loved the combat in beta but quests hurt my head.

    DDO - great dungeons, more similar to a lobby game though

    GW1?

    Age of Wushu

    Path of Exile - open beta, then F2P - ARPG not MMO

  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,813Member
    Originally posted by Elitekill4

    I'm an F2P MMO gamer. Either that or I'm gonna end up torrenting more single player games. :c

     

    Seeing as the new beta for TERA has come out, I'm definitely thinking about playing that - but I've kinda got my eyes on SW:TOR at the moment. No idea why.

     

    I like:

    Action

    Working PvP that's fun (although I already have a couple games for that)

    Crafting

    Raiding or dungeon crawling that doesn't take hours on end to prep everyone for BUT isn't the main goal of the game (ie, gear treadmill)

     

    I don't think there's really much else I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

     

    Games I've tried:

    Maplestory

    Runescape (I bot this lol)

    Guild Wars (B2P, no money atm)

    EQ2

    LOTRO (still have an acc on there but cba to buy expansions)

    WoW on a private server

     

    I'll edit the post as I think of more to add.

    Easy solution is to try them both. Both are free and you can get a better sense of if you will like it or not by trying it rather than asking us. 

     

    If you ask me, neither is worth the go. SWTOR has an asinine cash shop and the only redeeming quality for the game is the single player aspect. TERA has a decent idea behind combat but its clunky and its a quest grinder which I hate. 

     

    So... my advice is to try them for yourself.

  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Champaign, ILPosts: 1,558Member Uncommon
    Mabinogi for crafting but it will not have the other elements and it takes a long time to skill up.  As in years.

Sign In or Register to comment.