Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] ArcheAge: Jake Song On Teaming with Trion

Comments

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    After hearing it might by Nexon or NCsoft, this for sure is good to hear.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Wow! TRION of all the companies. I couldn't have hoped for better!
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon
    Optional? There's 50 levels in the game it's not optional.

I understand that.  But is the only way to 30 through questing - or can we leave and do other things in the game to finish leveling to 50.

The question we are asking is - is the quest chain *required* or is it an option for those less verse in MMO gameplay?   If I do the first 4 quests.  Can I run off and build a boat and sail away.  Or is the 'path' set to quest to 30 first.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Character levels aren't required for any of that, you can go craft stuff at level 1. Read my article ' what to expect at release' it talks about it
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I can think of a lot worse than Trion but please, don't jack it up!

And how many times have we said that...

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Character levels aren't required for any of that, you can go craft stuff at level 1. Read my article ' what to expect at release' it talks about it

You are going to make me look for it??? =O

Link? :D

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/PsychoPigeon/012013/24421

Thanks Psycho!

(I would have looked for it... really I would have.. :)

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552
    This is very good news to me. I was hoping Trion or EnMasse would grab this but knew it probably wouldn't be En Masse because of Tera. Really glad NC Soft didnt end up with it. Good company and I finally feel relieved! 
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Sinaku
    This is very good news to me. I was hoping Trion or EnMasse would grab this but knew it probably wouldn't be En Masse because of Tera. Really glad NC Soft didnt end up with it. Good company and I finally feel relieved! 

Yep this is going to make a lot of people happy and given the reputaiton of Trion in west, Arch Age will get more attention now. A good publisher can make or break the game.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    i,m absolutely thrilled that trion are doing this..brilliant news
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    As long as the refrain from the asinine ads about the competition and worry more about the attitude toward their own games then Trion is indeed a good choice.
    incoming gw2 bashing campaign followed by failure.

Trion also had their own "Not in Azeroth Anymore" along with some panda marketing blurb.  They've poked at WoW since before release.  It hasn't worked out so well for them.  They should focus and save the smack talking until after success.

No MMO can touch success of WOW but that doesn't mean Rift  isn't success and Trion isn't a success as a company.

And while we are subject of poking WOW..head honcho of GW2 Mike O Brian claimed he won't rest till he beats WOW and become number one.... what do you have to say about his pipe dream?

Atleast Trion did it in a way which was humorus and light hearted and didn't make any ridiculous and over the top statements like Mike O Brian.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I'm glad they found a publisher; that it's one of the ones I like is just the icing for me. What matters the most to me is that now more then ever it has a good chance of coming to the west and it just might be closer that I had expected. I enjoyed my hands on time with ArcheAge and I have wanted to return ever since.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• DrinkingbearDrinkingbear Member Posts: 60
    Hooray! Come on Trion. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I had very little interest in AA. But, with Trion involved, I will definitely keep up with it now.
  • DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Good news indeed! Been looking at this game for a few months and now Trion comes in!
  • GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    They picked Trion, and all of MMORPG agrees on something for once a fine choice.
  • Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    As long as the refrain from the asinine ads about the competition and worry more about the attitude toward their own games then Trion is indeed a good choice.

Trion also had their own "Not in Azeroth Anymore" along with some panda marketing blurb.  They've poked at WoW since before release.  It hasn't worked out so well for them.  They should focus and save the smack talking until after success.

No MMO can touch success of WOW but that doesn't mean Rift  isn't success and Trion isn't a success as a company.

And while we are subject on poking WOW..head honcho of GW2 Mike O Brian claimed he won't rest till he beats WOW and become number one.... what do you have to say about his pipe dream?

Rift isn't a failure but it's far from a success.  Rift only has two more servers than EQ2 (Rift 18, EQ2 16) and 6 of those 18 are language specific with middlin populations.  Guild Wars 2 has 51 servers of which 13 are language specific.  I think it's arrogant of the ANet team to make those claims and it's not something I appreciate, but he's actually working his way into that ballpark.

The problem with Trion's claims is that they aren't.  Instead of focusing, they marketed and experimented and failed with their "game as a service" mantra Hartsman had touted.  They've lost a huge number of players, lost a good portion of their focus and direction, and have two very risky games on the horizon.

Trion has a lot of potential, but they need to prove it.  They need to make one of their games a hallmark of success.  Maybe they will do that with ArcheAge because they haven't done it with Rift yet.  Maybe it will be Defiance, but I seriously doubt it.

Mike O brien never said that 

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

And while we are subject on poking WOW..head honcho of GW2 Mike O Brian claimed he won't rest till he beats WOW and become number one.... what do you have to say about his pipe dream?

Rift isn't a failure but it's far from a success.  Rift only has two more servers than EQ2 (Rift 18, EQ2 16) and 6 of those 18 are language specific with middlin populations.  Guild Wars 2 has 51 servers of which 13 are language specific.  I think it's arrogant of the ANet team to make those claims and it's not something I appreciate, but he's actually working his way into that ballpark.

The problem with Trion's claims is that they aren't.  Instead of focusing, they marketed and experimented and failed with their "game as a service" mantra Hartsman had touted.  They've lost a huge number of players, lost a good portion of their focus and direction, and have two very risky games on the horizon.

Trion has a lot of potential, but they need to prove it.  They need to make one of their games a hallmark of success.  Maybe they will do that with ArcheAge because they haven't done it with Rift yet.  Maybe it will be Defiance, but I seriously doubt it.

Google the proft Trion made from Rift after first year and you will see that for Trion it is a  success atleast for Trion as a company it is. They were a rookie studio and it was their first MMO. For company like Blizzard it might be peanuts but when you enter a business and starting from scratch and do what Trion did with Rift it is a major success.

No company puts money out of their pockets to release more content if they are not making profit. Not all cmpanies have deep pockets like Square ENix which can afford to keep a game going without any proft for almsot a year and then remake it. Certainly not Trion.

The only reason they released such a huge expac for Rift and still on board with Defiance is because they are actually making profit.

But no no comment on Mike O Brians obnoxious statement about how he wants to beat WOW and become number one? 

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    OMFG THANK YOU TRION.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629
    YEAHHHHHHHHHHH FINALLY!! Thank you TRION (I won't be trying RIFT again, though, I'm not THAT thankful :P)
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
     A players can only have 3 abilities that seems pretty limited by todays standards. is crafting one or more of the abilities?
  • PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Originally posted by winter
     A players can only have 3 abilities that seems pretty limited by todays standards. is crafting one or more of the abilities?

An ability is a skill tree. 3 skill trees.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

woah that is very cool, Archeage is in safe hands now for a western release :D

Thank god, not NCSoft!! *popping champagne bottle*

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by vtravi
    Hmm 30 levels of tutorial. How many players are gonna quite before they get through the tutorial. I only need about an hour to figure out how a game works. This seems excessive

Not if the game has old school depth. I was still learning new stuff about the original EQ long past level 30. Archeage is suppossed to have this kind of depth to it.

As for Trion Worlds and XLGames working together I think they made an excellent choice. Other publishers like NCSoft, SOE or EA would try to take over the game sooner or later. Trion Worlds will probably give them the room to breath they need to make Archeage everything it should be in the west. This is actually great news. I may have not particularly liked Trion's past games but as a company they have the right attitude. Trion and Archeage are a perfect match in my honest opinion.

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }