Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This isn't your normal MMO

Comments

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

I rarely PvP in games because 90% of the time its just waiting and waiting and waiting. Then you get a fight, either your side is 2v1 or they're 2v1. tPvP would have been interesting, but then you need to find good players, develop a strat and it ends up being the same old shit from other games, either your team style is better or it is not and that dictates the victor.  The game could just decide when we pop in who wins.

So I play for PvE. In GW2, either you can solo the elite mob, or you cant. Either you need a zerg for an event, or you can solo it. So since most fights have a clear winner from the start, there is no reason for them to take so long. Sound familiar? It should, its just like the above. There is no real challenge.

When the game forces you to use 5 main skills, 2-3 of which are situational, there isnt much "skill" involved, and yes, that includes pvp. What you get is 8 static classes, each with approximately 3 playstyles. However, in PvE your class gets gear locked to 1 playstyle. In PvP you can change that playstyle in between fights but its time consuming and unless someone doesnt know what he is doing, many just stick with the same style so they can actually enjoy the game.

In the end, in all games, when you ask yourself, "Am I really enjoying myself right now?" and the answer is No, you know its time to uninstall and wait for a new game, in the hopes that it may, one day, actually be fun. Fun, something MMO devs fail to implement in their game. Lets hope SQEX understood that after the backlash they got from FFXIV.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

For someone who praise GW2 night and day, i am sorry but it is hard  to ignore the irony in your post. You love to make claims without backing them up though..maybe that is your style i don't know but exaggeration is bad way to make an argument . So i simply asked you that, if Rift only has instanced progression where does the progression in GW2 PVE lies? yes instanced dungeons.

You obviously circled around my question and made another ridiculous claim that GW2 has everything that Rift got and more and Rift can only dream to have all those features even though that is false statement. I see that you do this quite often. I don't know what opposite effect my post had on this argument but one thing is for sure, you make stuff as you go and your arguments are paper thin at best.

And you don't have to tell me how long ago Rift was released, you are the one brought up the feature comparison not me.

That's not entirely accurate. Progression in GW2 can be in the instanced dungeons. However, it can also be in PvE, such as fully equipping with Orr exotics. It can also be in WvW. You can craft your way there if you wish, or even play the Trading Post once leveling is out of the way.

Rift may have released before GW2, but it's a well known fact that they were being developed in parallel. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by neobahamut20

I rarely PvP in games because 90% of the time its just waiting and waiting and waiting. Then you get a fight, either your side is 2v1 or they're 2v1. tPvP would have been interesting, but then you need to find good players, develop a strat and it ends up being the same old shit from other games, either your team style is better or it is not and that dictates the victor.  The game could just decide when we pop in who wins.

So I play for PvE. In GW2, either you can solo the elite mob, or you cant. Either you need a zerg for an event, or you can solo it. So since most fights have a clear winner from the start, there is no reason for them to take so long. Sound familiar? It should, its just like the above. There is no real challenge.

When the game forces you to use 5 main skills, 2-3 of which are situational, there isnt much "skill" involved, and yes, that includes pvp. What you get is 8 static classes, each with approximately 3 playstyles. However, in PvE your class gets gear locked to 1 playstyle. In PvP you can change that playstyle in between fights but its time consuming and unless someone doesnt know what he is doing, many just stick with the same style so they can actually enjoy the game.

In the end, in all games, when you ask yourself, "Am I really enjoying myself right now?" and the answer is No, you know its time to uninstall and wait for a new game, in the hopes that it may, one day, actually be fun. Fun, something MMO devs fail to implement in their game. Lets hope SQEX understood that after the backlash they got from FFXIV.

Based on your description of the combat I'm inclined to think you never set foot in GW2. No mention of utlity skills, elites, healing skills, profession specific abilities, weapon swapping, modifying your play style through traits, even dodging...

If all you did was use the 5 main weapon skills it's no wonder you didn't like it. That's like eating a mouthful of flour and saying you hate what the bakery is selling.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

For someone who praise GW2 night and day, i am sorry but it is hard  to ignore the irony in your post. You love to make claims without backing them up though..maybe that is your style i don't know but exaggeration is bad way to make an argument . So i simply asked you that, if Rift only has instanced progression where does the progression in GW2 PVE lies? yes instanced dungeons.

You obviously circled around my question and made another ridiculous claim that GW2 has everything that Rift got and more and Rift can only dream to have all those features even though that is false statement. I see that you do this quite often. I don't know what opposite effect my post had on this argument but one thing is for sure, you make stuff as you go and your arguments are paper thin at best.

And you don't have to tell me how long ago Rift was released, you are the one brought up the feature comparison not me.

That's not entirely accurate. Progression in GW2 can be in the instanced dungeons. However, it can also be in PvE, such as fully equipping with Orr exotics. It can also be in WvW. You can craft your way there if you wish, or even play the Trading Post once leveling is out of the way.

Rift may have released before GW2, but it's a well known fact that they were being developed in parallel. 

The majority of focus of progression in GW2 is on instanced dungeons now. And till you can acquire the new gear from crafting as well PVP, DE's etc, dungeons is where it is. So yeah mry original point still stands and it is ironic that someone who defends GW2 with such a passion would flaim Rift for ONLY having instanced progression. As if GW2 is any difference in terms of instanced progression. And as expected he avoided what i said.

Wv W has no progression right now..maybe it will change in future but as of now for those who want to improve their character in terms of gear no matter how little the difference, dungeons is where it is.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Based on your description of the combat I'm inclined to think you never set foot in GW2. No mention of utlity skills, elites, healing skills, profession specific abilities, weapon swapping, modifying your play style through traits, even dodging...

If all you did was use the 5 main weapon skills it's no wonder you didn't like it. That's like eating a mouthful of flour and saying you hate what the bakery is selling.

I only use 3 skills because its all I need to win the fight. My utility skills were sprints and anti-stun. My elite skill was only used against elite mobs, the soloable ones. I weapon switch for range, because it is a requirement for many fights in instances and against many event mobs where melee gets obliterated.

I dont find anything fun in varying a playstyle just as a change of pace especially when I died more often from falling than mobs on my way to 80. I also tried playing other classes, I do have 7 character slots. They were all the same shit so I stopped pretty quickly. I logged in the other day and had guildies begging for help to kill a dragon. That's when you realize no one cares about the game when dragons dont even attract enough people to kill it.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I only use 3 skills because its all I need to win the fight. My utility skills were sprints and anti-stun. My elite skill was only used against elite mobs, the soloable ones. I weapon switch for range, because it is a requirement for many fights in instances and against many event mobs where melee gets obliterated.

I dont find anything fun in varying a playstyle just as a change of pace especially when I died more often from falling than mobs on my way to 80. I also tried playing other classes, I do have 7 character slots. They were all the same shit so I stopped pretty quickly. I logged in the other day and had guildies begging for help to kill a dragon. That's when you realize no one cares about the game when dragons dont even attract enough people to kill it.

There is a variety of styles - A Ranger can use a Sword/dagger, Longbow, Shortbow, Greatsword, 2 axes, Axe dagger, etc - this is one profession. There is a wide variety there. I don't think you ever switched your weapons or even tried anything else. You just wanted to play like in WoW. There are not many situational skills in GW2 - don't know where you got that from.

Originally posted by botrytis

There is a variety of styles - A Ranger can use a Sword/dagger, Longbow, Shortbow, Greatsword, 2 axes, Axe dagger, etc - this is one profession. There is a wide variety there. I don't think you ever switched your weapons or even tried anything else. You just wanted to play like in WoW. There are not many situational skills in GW2 - don't know where you got that from.

Out of all those ranger skills, most still have the same play style. Sure you might like to see colored flashy pixels show up differently, but that only makes you the target audience for the illusion of choice trend. I actually hated WoW, because the classes changed every month for a new flavor and because most people I wound up grouping with just flat out sucked (my static group in WoW got heroic dragon achieves in quest blues, incase you're wondering. Then, everyone quit because finding 5 more skilled players for 10man was more challenging than the game itself). So no, I didnt want to play like WoW. I wanted to play optimally, like in every game I play.

Again, after hitting 80, you are gear locked. I use the only weapons compatible with my gear and switch based on the situation. It makes no sense to fight melee with ranged and it makes no sense to fight anti-melee in melee.

If you cannot recognize the situational skills, you are not someone I would want to play with. No offense,[mod edit]

Out of all those ranger skills, most still have the same play style. Sure you might like to see colored flashy pixels show up differently, but that only makes you the target audience for the illusion of choice trend. I actually hated WoW, because the classes changed every month for a new flavor and because most people I wound up grouping with just flat out sucked (my static group in WoW got heroic dragon achieves in quest blues, incase you're wondering. Then, everyone quit because finding 5 more skilled players for 10man was more challenging than the game itself). So no, I didnt want to play like WoW. I wanted to play optimally, like in every game I play.

Again, after hitting 80, you are gear locked. I use the only weapons compatible with my gear and switch based on the situation. It makes no sense to fight melee with ranged and it makes no sense to fight anti-melee in melee.

If you cannot recognize the situational skills, you are not someone I would want to play with. No offense, but you most likely are what I consider the subpar crowd and on that, I've always wondered, do you know you're a bad player or do you think you're actually a gamer?

Same style? When I'm on my ranger I'm a whole different animal when using my greatsword (which is a blast, btw) compared to longbow, shortbow or paired axes.

Same style? May the six gods forgive me, but you're doing it wrong.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i found GW2 to be WAY easier than rift was personally or any of the other mmorpgs on the market just because the lack of skills. Having one hotbar only or weapon swapping made combat feel so boring to me and the DEs were just no better than warhammer public quests and Rifts system. I tried myself to move to just WvW but its all about trading keeps and zerges with lots of siege to bore any person looking for skirmish pvp to death. Ive tried going back a couple of times but after about 20 minutes I just log out and find other things to do. The game is just absolutely so unrewarding for anything you do in it that its almost like a buzzkill just to play it. Hopefully it will be better down the road with all the changes they keep promising yet take WAY to long to deliver. If you enjoy the game OP thats great to hear glad you can find something you like.

It's amazing how quickly a line of text can shatter your credibility. To think you're trying to sell us that a warrior plays like a mesmer plays like a necro plays like a ranger... dude. Just stop. No one is buying this guano. You're going up against reality and faring poorly.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by cronius77
    i found GW2 to be WAY easier than rift was personally or any of the other mmorpgs on the market just because the lack of skills. Having one hotbar only or weapon swapping made combat feel so boring to me and the DEs were just no better than warhammer public quests and Rifts system. I tried myself to move to just WvW but its all about trading keeps and zerges with lots of siege to bore any person looking for skirmish pvp to death. Ive tried going back a couple of times but after about 20 minutes I just log out and find other things to do. The game is just absolutely so unrewarding for anything you do in it that its almost like a buzzkill just to play it. Hopefully it will be better down the road with all the changes they keep promising yet take WAY to long to deliver. If you enjoy the game OP thats great to hear glad you can find something you like.

RIft is not difficult - it is easier than most games unless in an instance - then is it hard. The progblem with Rift is there are so many USELESS skills it it ridiculous. They could do away with 50% of the skills and still have a decent game.

Why is it unrewarding - you dont get to gank lowbies, what then? I have fun and that is my reward. Do you want to get paid 20 bucks for a kill? Just saying, playing a game for rewards is a little niave - I mean we play to have fun.

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264

If you cannot recognize the situational skills, you are not someone I would want to play with. No offense, but you most likely are what I consider the subpar crowd and on that, I've always wondered, do you know you're a bad player or do you think you're actually a gamer?

Using Axe/torch and combo with Sword/dagger dunno where you are getting your info from . =(

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

RIft is not difficult - it is easier than most games unless in an instance - then is it hard. The progblem with Rift is there are so many USELESS skills it it ridiculous. They could do away with 50% of the skills and still have a decent game.

Why is it unrewarding - you dont get to gank lowbies, what then? I have fun and that is my reward. Do you want to get paid 20 bucks for a kill? Just saying, playing a game for rewards is a little niave - I mean we play to have fun.

Yeah i am glad you could decide for all of  us what fun is even though it is a very subjective thing. And then you say playing game for rewards is 'naive'.. maybe playing for rewards is there idea of fun? ever thought about that?

*rolls eyes*

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

I played the Betas. I remember it being a good starter MMO for people new to the genre. very simple hardly no UI clutter, it was all very simple and easy to get up and running. Pretty character creation. WvW was pretty fun, just very long but most everyone was on even ground in PVP somewhat.

I don't have much to say bad about it, it just seems maybe if I stuck it out past level 38 It should have gotten more complex and challenging, it's a good game to jump on for 10 minutes run a few quest and log off until an update or sadly have it slip your mind that you even installed it and be surpised it still is on your harddrive.

Nothing to write home about but not a bad MMORPG.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I don't even know what you're talking about.  The game isn't challenging?  Most ranger skills are just different pixels?  Are you serious?

First of all, in GW2 challenge is what you make of it.  If you're with 2 other people fighting a hard mob and you just sit back lobbing arrows - for one thing, how would that be better or worse than any other MMO?  Secondly, why not switch to melee?  Because it "makes no sense"?  No offense but you don't sound very adaptable to situations yourself.  There is no "illusion" of choice, the one handed sword skills for example are heavily built around evading as you attack, giving you higher survivability in close situations.  Due to GW2's unique hate system, the enemy may or may not be distracted by you, giving others time to rez or heal.  And the long range skills?  Do cripple, bleed, and knock back all count as "different pixels" in a fight?  No, unless you want to count every skill in every MMO as "different pixels".  They all have different uses, and they're vastly different from those found on the one handed sword skills simply because of the proximity of the battle.  Every skill and skill use matters in a place like Orr.  If you just press 111111111, you're going to die.

You shouldn't go around insulting people's alleged lack of situational awareness when you sound like you suffer from the same problem.  People aren't "bad" players just because they don't see things the way you do.  Come down off your high horse and have some fun.

It's amazing how quickly a line of text can shatter your credibility. To think you're trying to sell us that a warrior plays like a mesmer plays like a necro plays like a ranger... dude. Just stop. No one is buying this guano. You're going up against reality and faring poorly.

Again, pretty pixels on a screen are only significant for a certain group of people. If that is all you need, then lucky you I guess, it'll keep you happy long time given the current trend. I, however, want something more, I want actual differences. Having to use a skill at a 1200 or 800 range is the same playstyle. Your guardian can be (actually still is I believe) more effective at range than a ranger. But hey, he doesnt have a drawing of a bear in front of him so it MUST be different.

Originally posted by Eir_S

I don't even know what you're talking about.  The game isn't challenging?  Most ranger skills are just different pixels?  Are you serious?

First of all, in GW2 challenge is what you make of it.  If you're with 2 other people fighting a hard mob and you just sit back lobbing arrows - for one thing, how would that be better or worse than any other MMO?  Secondly, why not switch to melee?  Because it "makes no sense"?  No offense but you don't sound very adaptable to situations yourself.  There is no "illusion" of choice, the one handed sword skills for example are heavily built around evading as you attack, giving you higher survivability in close situations.  Due to GW2's unique hate system, the enemy may or may not be distracted by you, giving others time to rez or heal.  And the long range skills?  Do cripple, bleed, and knock back all count as "different pixels" in a fight?  No, unless you want to count every skill in every MMO as "different pixels".  They all have different uses, and they're vastly different from those found on the one handed sword skills simply because of the proximity of the battle.  Every skill and skill use matters in a place like Orr.  If you just press 111111111, you're going to die.

You shouldn't go around insulting people's alleged lack of situational awareness when you sound like you suffer from the same problem.  People aren't "bad" players just because they don't see things the way you do.  Come down off your high horse and have some fun.

I use 3 skills.

I do... 123 wait (because 1 is automatic) 23 23 23 23 23

Eventually the mob falls to my might. That is, if its a veteran mob. Else I just hit 1 and I can wait or chat.

Also, did all JP, have 100% explorer (without jumping servers like most did), killed all dragons, took a keep, took a castle, took a camp. What else does the game have to offer, please dont tell me Orr is enjoyable (other than the light bulb JP)

Again, pretty pixels on a screen are only significant for a certain group of people. If that is all you need, then lucky you I guess, it'll keep you happy long time given the current trend. I, however, want something more, I want actual differences. Having to use a skill at a 1200 or 800 range is the same playstyle. Your guardian can be (actually still is I believe) more effective at range than a ranger. But hey, he doesnt have a drawing of a bear in front of him so it MUST be different.

OK... now you're babbling. By your alleged attempt at a definition, all games are the same being "pixels", so why are you even here? If you can't see the differences in the skills in GW2 then you simply haven't looked and refudse to do so. It's the secondary and tertiary effects of the skills that make them stand out, and the varying playstyles of each profession that that results in. A mesmer, for example, is about confusing the enemy and their targeting getting them to spread their damage uselessly through confusion. It's about having enough control over their actions that you can get them to kill or severly damage themselves. It's about being there while you're not there unless you are there instead of here, or neither.

You are not ready.

Oderint, dum metuant.

I use 3 skills.

Eventually the mob falls to my might. That is, if its a veteran mob. Else I just hit 1 and I can wait or chat.

Also, did all JP, have 100% explorer (without jumping servers like most did), killed all dragons, took a keep, took a castle, took a camp. What else does the game have to offer, please dont tell me Orr is enjoyable (other than the light bulb JP)

I'm going to have to call bollocks on this one. You know far too little about the game for any of this to be remotely true. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Eir_S

I use 3 skills.

OH, so joy played Rift, WoW and TSW? WOW - nice. Obviously you have not played GW2 at all.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by Tazlor
    Oh look, more GW2 promotion.

You're on a Guild Wars 2 forums...and you say this?  You're surprised at people talking about GW2...on a GW2 forums? 

Sometimes I'm just embarressed to be human.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by slicknslim88
    Originally posted by Tazlor
    Oh look, more GW2 promotion.

You're on a Guild Wars 2 forums...and you say this?  You're surprised at people talking about GW2...on a GW2 forums? 

Sometimes I'm just embarressed to be human.

lol i feel the same way:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

i can't see how GW2 in any shape or form is easier especially in PVE questing.. i enjoyed Rift but leveling was cake.. here's a couple of my AOE farming videos... they may have nerfed some of these builds by now as they did the early warrior AOE farming builds but this was cake.. try this at any level in GW2 and you will get destroyed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWYrS5jsLDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTlj8ZPVyuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe80B_PZezs

(these are videos i made for the Rift forums awhile back)

I have died so many times in GW2 just doing quests i can't even keep track.. in Rift i could probably count on my hands how many times I died just questing

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

i can't see how Rift in any shape or form is easier especially in PVE questing.. i enjoyed Rift but leveling was cake.. here's a couple of my AOE farming videos... they may have nerfed some of these builds by now as they did the early warrior AOE farming builds but this was cake.. try this at any level in GW2 and you will get destroyed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWYrS5jsLDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTlj8ZPVyuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe80B_PZezs

(these are videos i made for the Rift forums awhile back)

I have died so many times in GW2 just doing quests i can't even keep track.. in Rift i could probably count on my hands how many times I died just questing

It's interesting no one has found a build to do something like this in GW2. Like you say, it's very different the amount of times one dies in GW2 compared to other mmos. One definately has to be paying attention all the time.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

Personally I didn't find anything in this game challenging, but eh, everyones entitled to their opinion. If one of the big challenging events starts its part of a chain and ends up being a zerg and if not enough people show up they just don't do it. Dungeons were all easy, while they were fresh and full of new ideas they were easy and once you ran them for the points to get gear, no reason to run them ever again because gold isn't the important in GW2 and the dungeons don't drop any anyways.

Also it doesn't promote helping each other really, it just promotes doing stuff with other people nearby while never talking since you don't need to group. I think it's a step backwards personally, i'd rather talk to people and form a group to do things instead of silently watch as more people show up and just do stuff around me. 

1) Challenge is what you make of it. No MMOs are challenging really, when it comes to PvE content. You can make it more challenging by doing content with less people or solo. You can certainly have challenging fights in GW2 by doing group events or Champion mobs solo. And even with large groups the Orr temple fights are pretty challenging.

2) No MMOs promote helping each other, there isnt a single MMO around that you cant get to max level by soloing then buy gear. You don't 'need' to be social in any MMO. I have joined groups in Vanguard, arguably one of the most hardcore group based games, and the other players have barely said a word as we cleared whole maps. Conversely I have teamed up with other players clearing maps and doing DE chains in GW2, chatting the whole time. The game is what you make of it, no game is going to force you to be social, and if you need the game to force that, the issue is on you rather than the game.