Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard's Rob Pardo Responds To Celebration Over Diablo III Director's Departure

2»

Comments

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76
    Jay Wilson is an ass...I think that is why reactions are so harsh on the forums. It wasn't just that he dropped the ball in regards to diablo 3. He acted like an arrogant ass and throughout development he consistently behaved defensively in the face of feedback and players thoughts. This crap by Rob Pardo is to little to late, if he was that concerned about the quality of the game and what happened during development he would have monitored it then and taken action. D3 sold well, does that make it a good game? No it does not, whats good and whats not is totally subjective to the individual. Besides we all knew D3 would be a huge seller, IT'S CALLED DIABLO 3! Much like a star wars movie a LOTR movie or any other extremely popular and beloved IP it will sell big just on its name. Maybe it will be ok for Jay Wilson to be on the "Titan" dev team. Just don't let him make any decisons....have him get the coffee and give out back rubs.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by laserit
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Originally posted by tawess

So... Because he made one of the best-selling games of all time that just did not happen to meet the standars of a small fanatic cult of gamers he should resign...?

Didn't Diablo 2 top 20 million copies sold a long time ago?  Take your 10 million copies sold, and subtract every Blizzard fanboy who bought the game because of their crossover games.  One analyst suggessted they might have 4 million sold without cross-promotion.  So, there are ~16 million people out there who are boycotting this game.  And you call this a small group?  LOL!

Seven not twenty. More people have bought D3 than ever played D2. There are an estimated 7,045,562,892
    people that haven't bought Diablo 3 on earth. Are they all to be counted as boycotting the game? One analyst suggested the moon is made of green cheese. Should we believe that too?

And wouldnt it be interesting to know how many people who excitingly purchased Diablo 3 were pissed off with what they recieved "dissatisfied customer's"

Slice it any way you want...

It may have sold 10 million + copies, but the game fails big time in more ways then one. Reputation being a big one.

Speaking for the world now too? Because outside of a few dozen internet malcontents I haven't seen any great outcry.

lol... a few dozen? Again... look at any place that has a place for player ratings. Your few dozen becomes thousands upon thousands. Those that post anything postive fit the "Few Dozens" a great deal better than those that have and continue to have issue with D3 for various reasons lol. 

Do you have any idea how those sites work? You can start by excluding the 90% of the ratings that were made before the game even came out.

Ok, I admit that if you disregard the only metrics we have on player satisfaction it seems people really did like Diablo 3... 

Disregard what players have said on the forums, disregard player reviews, disregard what players say in chat, disregard what players you meet and know in real life say when you ask them, disregard polls and yes... I admit it can seem like most actually enjoyed Diablo 3 lol... 

I mean seriously, it's not like there were so many on the Diablo 3 forums unhappy with the game cheering and celebrating the departure of Jay Wilson that Rob Pardo had to step in and try and defend him.... 

Hence a few dozen malcontents. I disregard all invalid metrics. Just because metrics exist doesn't make them worth anything.

You are correct, I mean look at all the praise for Diablo 3 and the overwhelming sadness of Jays departure. It truly is a loved game. I apologize for my misguided views. 

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by laserit
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Originally posted by tawess

So... Because he made one of the best-selling games of all time that just did not happen to meet the standars of a small fanatic cult of gamers he should resign...?

Didn't Diablo 2 top 20 million copies sold a long time ago?  Take your 10 million copies sold, and subtract every Blizzard fanboy who bought the game because of their crossover games.  One analyst suggessted they might have 4 million sold without cross-promotion.  So, there are ~16 million people out there who are boycotting this game.  And you call this a small group?  LOL!

Seven not twenty. More people have bought D3 than ever played D2. There are an estimated 7,045,562,892
    people that haven't bought Diablo 3 on earth. Are they all to be counted as boycotting the game? One analyst suggested the moon is made of green cheese. Should we believe that too?

And wouldnt it be interesting to know how many people who excitingly purchased Diablo 3 were pissed off with what they recieved "dissatisfied customer's"

Slice it any way you want...

It may have sold 10 million + copies, but the game fails big time in more ways then one. Reputation being a big one.

Speaking for the world now too? Because outside of a few dozen internet malcontents I haven't seen any great outcry.

lol... a few dozen? Again... look at any place that has a place for player ratings. Your few dozen becomes thousands upon thousands. Those that post anything postive fit the "Few Dozens" a great deal better than those that have and continue to have issue with D3 for various reasons lol. 

Do you have any idea how those sites work? You can start by excluding the 90% of the ratings that were made before the game even came out.

Ok, I admit that if you disregard the only metrics we have on player satisfaction it seems people really did like Diablo 3... 

Disregard what players have said on the forums, disregard player reviews, disregard what players say in chat, disregard what players you meet and know in real life say when you ask them, disregard polls and yes... I admit it can seem like most actually enjoyed Diablo 3 lol... 

I mean seriously, it's not like there were so many on the Diablo 3 forums unhappy with the game cheering and celebrating the departure of Jay Wilson that Rob Pardo had to step in and try and defend him.... 

Hence a few dozen malcontents. I disregard all invalid metrics. Just because metrics exist doesn't make them worth anything.

You are correct, I mean look at all the praise for Diablo 3 and the overwhelming sadness of Jays departure. It truly is a loved game. I apologize for my misguided views. 

I don't think he will ever get the sarcasm, lol.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    In the end, if the higher ups are defending Jay Wilson, and actually enjoyed what he had done with D3, then I truly weep for the future games from Blizzard. D3 might be the highest quality we can expect from them from here on out.
  • BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by Aviggin
    In the end, if the higher ups are defending Jay Wilson, and actually enjoyed what he had done with D3, then I truly weep for the future games from Blizzard. D3 might be the highest quality we can expect from them from here on out.

Damn, just when I was hoping Titan was going to be good....

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158

To be honest I think most of the aggression towards D3 was from the lack of PVP and other promised and/or expected features.  PVP was on the back of the box and didn't come shipped as promised.  That should have never happened even if it meant delaying the game for another year.  This was a major release. 

On another honest note the game was pretty good for the time it took me to complete it.  Most expected too much from a game whose template came from the 90s.  But without means of alternative play, class flexibility, and some form of competition, for me at least when I reached the end I was done with the experience.  I can't say I regret any of my time spent playing it though, not in the least.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    can anyone tell me just how many people thereabouts are playing D3.from what i gather its a considerable amount of people..and it was a considerable amount of people that bought it..not saying its brilliant but all those people still playing must be playing it for a reason..i personally enjoyed it although its not the best game i've played.and i gather the people still playing it are enjoying it as well.for every person that dislikes it there is a person who likes it..so it cantbe all bad..not to mention its made a shitload of money for blizz.
    Originally posted by Swiftrevoir

To be honest I think most of the aggression towards D3 was from the lack of PVP and other promised and/or expected features.  PVP was on the back of the box and didn't come shipped as promised.  That should have never happened even if it meant delaying the game for another year.  This was a major release. 

On another honest note the game was pretty good for the time it took me to complete it.  Most expected too much from a game whose template came from the 90s.  But without means of alternative play, class flexibility, and some form of competition, for me at least when I reached the end I was done with the experience.  I can't say I regret any of my time spent playing it though, not in the least.

PvP wasn't listed as a feature on the back of the box. At least not on mine. All it says is fighting through countless enemies on the battlefield (PvE), trading on the AH, the variety of abilities, etc.

A lot of people didn't like that there was no PvP. I don't care personally about the PvP. After launch, most of the gripes I read were about the itemization, storyline, and how a lot of the skills were next to useless and not viable after a certain point so people were pigeon-holed into specific builds.

EDIT: No, you were right about the PvP on some boxes. I looked up on google images, and one box says "unite with friend to conquer the forces of evil or fight against them to be the strongest hero."

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Originally posted by Rusque
    but the real flaw with D3 . . . R M A H. That had to be the worst design decision (for players) ever, worked out well for their bank account though.

That and the online requirement for what has previously been a single player series are the biggest reasons I never bothered trying this game.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride
    but the real flaw with D3 . . . R M A H. That had to be the worst design decision (for players) ever, worked out well for their bank account though.

That and the online requirement for what has previously been a single player series are the biggest reasons I never bothered trying this game.

I also tried Path of Exile. I had to log in to play. Teh Horror!

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by Psychow

I'm still waiting for the massive outcry about that. Why does GGG get a free pass? Because the game is free? You still can't play the damn thing where there's no internet, which is what the D3 haters are / were whining about in the first place!

Where are the 0/10 reviews on metacritic? Where are the people calling the project lead a 'fat fuck' or some other unimaginative insult? Where's Totalbiscuit calling Grinding Gear Games 'evil'?

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Rob Pardo did what any good leader does - take the fall for his team.  Even if people feel that Jay Wilson was the wrong choice to make Diablo III, ultimately it was Pardo that put him there.  That's what I sense Rob is saying here.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by PWN_FACE

I understand what Pardo is doing. Of course, any responsible adult with a salaried position would know to say the exact same thing, basically. 

Thing is, the customer is always right in capitalism. Acti-Blizzard lives and dies by this dictum, so they are well aware of its validity. 

How often do people react to this degree when an employee "steps down"? This is an exceptional degree. There must be a reason for that.

No, the customer is generally a complete idiot. You just can't tell them so. In the gaming business people often react to this degree. To everything. Mostly because an abnormally large proportion of gamers are complete idiots. They cry, whine and bitch constantly then fork over huge sums of money for games they'll throw away in a week, usually made by companies whose last game they threw away in a week. Then they swear they'll never do it again. Crack addicts have more sense than that.

No, gaming in itself is an addiction like any drug or alcoholism to many people. How many times have you heard people who were hungover say they were never gonna drink again, then the next day or week, they were right back at it?

It's really no different than that.

Crack addicts do not have more sense than this. They know it feels good at first, but it's bad for them, yet they continue to do it.

Once again, no difference. :p

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Originally posted by Psychow

I'm still waiting for the massive outcry about that. Why does GGG get a free pass? Because the game is free? You still can't play the damn thing where there's no internet, which is what the D3 haters are / were whining about in the first place!

Where are the 0/10 reviews on metacritic? Where are the people calling the project lead a 'fat fuck' or some other unimaginative insult? Where's Totalbiscuit calling Grinding Gear Games 'evil'?

Well you are right, with it being a completely free game with an optional cash shop while being a better game it is afforded  leeway that Diablo 3 wasn't. 

Theres a difference between delivering an online only turd for $60 and an online only well done game for free :) 

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by kevjards
    can anyone tell me just how many people thereabouts are playing D3.from what i gather its a considerable amount of people..and it was a considerable amount of people that bought it..not saying its brilliant but all those people still playing must be playing it for a reason..i personally enjoyed it although its not the best game i've played.and i gather the people still playing it are enjoying it as well.for every person that dislikes it there is a person who likes it..so it cantbe all bad..not to mention its made a shitload of money for blizz.

In game new public grouping stays  around 600+ in EU in softcore these days. Only new, not yet full groups are counted, no private game, nor solo games. That new counting system was introduced at the start of June.

That's around a 30% retention rate compared to June 2012 and in the last 4 months the numbers stayed the same after patch 1.05.

So according to public grouping there are around 3 million players atm.

What's interesting is that D3 only uses one server structure per region. Rendering the AH's full of actvitiy all the time.