Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Millions would like to see Vanilla WoW but NO !

Comments

• xSyngexxSyngex Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Millions? Yeah I can also go and pull numbers out of my ass. You don't think Blizzard hasn't done any research about it? If they knew they would really get millions of players on vanilla servers AND keep them, they would open those in a heartbeat.

/end thread.

When people start claiming to know what millions want and speak on their behalf.... you know nothing good will come out of that discussion.

^ Could not agree more

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I love how the same five people say everything is fine.

1) Thousands come and GO, bashing the game for the same old.  Easy, level too fast, dungeon finder, expantion prices, transfer prices and a few others.

2) How many stopped playing and are not saying a word......More are just walking away without saying anything as to the people being vocal about it.

3) I know at least 15 people in real life that hate the game as it stands now.

4) The mmorpg.com community makes up about .000001% of the people that ever played WoW. I for one don't know even one person that knows about this site, do you ?.......Just think how many walked away.  You guessed it millions !

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    I can honestly say Vanilla WoW Server would be the only thing that made me give Blizzard money again.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    It's been nearly 9 years since wow was released, move the fuck on!
  • nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76

It will never happen. There a mere 10k players that would go on these servers. How do I know this? The same way the OP knows millions do want to play on vanilla servers. I can understand why people would want to go back to that era in wow though. It was a great time to be an elitist....the no-life raiders dominated PVP with their huge gear advantage. The dedicated pvpers had to do rotations on their account in order to get the top pvp gear which was still worse then the top raid gear. The best thing about vanilla wow was there was no cross server yet...but servers where still populated...communites and rivalries sprung forth and thats what made it good. It's really a terrible idea...and it makes sense..he isn't in charge of what wow does..hes a forum poster. All is right with the world.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Vannor

Like all 'fond memories' of games, if you played it again.. now.. it would probably ruin your fond memories.

Vanilla WoW was good because, at the time, it was original and we'd never seen it before. It just wouldn't be the same after all we've been through.

It's like the D3 issue. Everyone wanted it to be like D2.. but why arn't they playing D2 then? Because they probably tried it again and it's just shockingly bad compared to todays games. Memories are relative to the time they took place.

What exactly was original about it?

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by delete5230

Why not, someone give me/us a real answer.  

We have PvP servers, PvP servers, Beginners servers. I understand creating a Vanilla WoW server is by far not the same thing, but it does show that the game can be devided.   Sure it would be a lot of work BUT WERE TALKING ABOUT MILLIONS that would like to see it !

Now were gonna have the SAME six or so people here defending this thing we have now.  A few of them you would almost think  are Blizzard in-plants that will try and overwhelm a topic like this.  But this post is not for them its for the other millions.

In reading WoW post here from the last few days, I could SAFTLY SAY that over 50% or more don't like anything about WoW as it is now.  By far millions are so turned off that they don't even read this forum anymore. This adds to the fact.

DiD I say millions !!!!.....Yes, a few times.

I think you are wrong.  No one cares anymore.  We wanted Vanilla servers about 2 Xpacs ago.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Istavaan

Like all 'fond memories' of games, if you played it again.. now.. it would probably ruin your fond memories.

Vanilla WoW was good because, at the time, it was original and we'd never seen it before. It just wouldn't be the same after all we've been through.

It's like the D3 issue. Everyone wanted it to be like D2.. but why arn't they playing D2 then? Because they probably tried it again and it's just shockingly bad compared to todays games. Memories are relative to the time they took place.

Love it when people say WOW was original. WOW stole more s**t from older mmorpg's than anything. Everyone says WOW clone this or WOW clone that, but they got their ideas from founding mmorpgs. WOW is a clone lol.

It had a huge IP to start with, a good company, during that time 40% more internet users, and was fantasy. Because WOW almost failed with its rocky launch.

Everything happened at the right time for WOW, now everyone tries to mimic it :/

It made MMO's mainstream and insured the next 20 years of MMO themepark development. God help us. But I think vanilla was more fun than anything they have done since. Just personal opinion, even if it wasn't innovative, it was done right, and it was fun.

• ThedrizzleThedrizzle Member Posts: 322
    Are there really millions of people still playing WoW?  I can't even fathom that
  • RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I did exactly that. Back after the D3 open beta weekend (which I must say completely altered my perceptions of the game), I decided to load up D2 again to scratch the ARPG itch. It felt so... outdated. I mean, why allocate attribute points if there's only 1 real way to do it without gimping your character? Why do I have to save talent points for 5-6 levels to use the build I want? Hell, why do I have to build a character a certain way to survive in later difficulties?

It was still a fun game, but playing it made me realize how much of an improvement D3 is. Being able to swap out skills / runes is so much better and more flexible than being rigidly locked into a build. Also, the game was a lot more colorful than I remembered. It's amazing how nostalgia has twisted people's perception of things.

ANYWAY...

Back on topic, I really don't think there's 'millions' of people wanting a vanilla WoW server. Also, I think a lot of people who logged on to one would realize that WoW back at release was actually pretty bad compared to what we have today. No dual spec, sparse quests (making grinding for several levels necessary), mounts costing a ridiculous sum of gold (you had to start saving 10 levels prior), terrible and broken talent trees, having to farm fire resist gear for MC (for WEEKS), etc. 

Sorry, but WoW at release wasn't nearly as good as you're remembering it folks.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

1) Thousands come and GO, bashing the game for the same old.  Easy, level too fast, dungeon finder, expantion prices, transfer prices and a few others.

2) How many stopped playing and are not saying a word......More are just walking away without saying anything as to the people being vocal about it.

4) The mmorpg.com community makes up about .000001% of the people that ever played WoW. I for one don't know even one person that knows about this site, do you ?.......Just think how many walked away.  You guessed it millions !

You know, pulling #s out of your ass is a bad idea, especially if you're bad at math.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Millions? seriously...millions? Where are you getting "millions" from?

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by jtcgs
    Millions? seriously...millions? Where are you getting "millions" from?

Sigh. The credibilty for a progression server always gets tarnished by asshats that pull numbers out of nowhere. It is a good idea, just people aren't going to respect you if you make up statistics.

I agree with you, people who do this just hurt the cause and the game they are fighting for.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

I would definitely come back to a vanilla server but, looking at it realistically, I would probably not stay for an extended period. BC was my favorite. I remember spending hour after hour after hour in AV. The Horde ice monster - man I had SO much fun.

Actually it does not matter, there is NO way that Blizzard would do this.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Why not, someone give me/us a real answer. 

Humpty doesn't go back in the shell.

Apparently at least one company refuses to pander to the reactionaries. And it's difficult to argue if their bottom line would be improved by doing so; several companies in the past have been fervently assured how incredibly profitable "classic" servers would be...actual results, on the other hand, have always been dubious at best.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432

1) The most fluid animations of any MMO. Nine years on there are only a few that can match Classic's animation quality. Look at the cat Night Elf mounts for evidence.

2) Leveling through questing via ! and ? above heads. This was the first game that had those glyphs. EQ2 came close but it didn't show the feathers above NPC heads (in the game world) until much later.

3) Balanced death penalty. Everyone else had either live, naked corpse runs or dead corpse tombstone grabs with XP loss.

4) Battlegrounds.

5) Instanced tiered dungeons starting at level 15 for Horde and 18 for Alliance.

6) This was the first game where there wasn't zone space just for the sake of zone space. If an area existed, by and large, it had a reason. There were no wide open spaces of nothing.

7) Fast travel from nearly every quest hub to every other quest hub on the same continent.

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by ScaryMonk
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Millions? Yeah I can also go and pull numbers out of my ass. You don't think Blizzard hasn't done any research about it? If they knew they would really get millions of players on vanilla servers AND keep them, they would open those in a heartbeat.

It would undermine their game in its current state.  It would almost be an admission that they have taken the game in the wrong direction or dumbed it down, or at least the press would treat it as such.  It would be a PR disaster.   

It would also risk losing revenue and activity from the those players who stick with it because it is wow, but never-the-less are underwhelmed by the direction it has taken.  An emptier world in their expansions is not good for business.  

This is the best explanation of why Blizzard would never do this that I have seen. Right on the money!

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101

I've been rooting for vanilla servers for the longest time, i left blizz servers shortly after cata launch and have played on a vanilla private server ever since. What nostalgia-freaks like me and OP really miss is the community. The game was bugged, the grind was serious and the balance was bad. Making a vanilla server won't remake the old community, some things are just gone - playing on a private server gets closer, but it'll never truly be classic wow.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by PieRad

You know, pulling #s out of your ass is a bad idea, especially if you're bad at math.

He loves do that doesn't he? hahaha.... love it how this guy makes up statistics on the fly.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84

I was reading a developer interview from the Asheron's Call team a while back, where they were talking about the mistake of releasing Asheron's Call 2 while Asheron's Call was still up and running. Basically, they said that releasing AC2 split the Asheron's Call community, and instead of growing it, it shrunk and hurt both games. I could completely see this happening if they released vanilla WoW servers, because it would basically be like 2 seperate games at that point.

Also, not to mention, they would have to have a small seperate dev. team just for maintaining the vanilla game, which would potentially detract from their ability to maintain and add content to current day WoW. 

Oh, and notice how I'm making my argument without the terribly old and trite "rose tinted glasses" attack? I thought and still do think that Vanilla/BC were great games.

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704
    Originally posted by endgame1

I was reading a developer interview from the Asheron's Call team a while back, where they were talking about the mistake of releasing Asheron's Call 2 while Asheron's Call was still up and running. Basically, they said that releasing AC2 split the Asheron's Call community, and instead of growing it, it shrunk and hurt both games. I could completely see this happening if they released vanilla WoW servers, because it would basically be like 2 seperate games at that point.

Also, not to mention, they would have to have a small seperate dev. team just for maintaining the vanilla game, which would potentially detract from their ability to maintain and add content to current day WoW. 

Oh, and notice how I'm making my argument without the terribly old and trite "rose tinted glasses" attack? I thought and still do think that Vanilla/BC were great games.

Right on the money...

It would cannibalize their their existing playerbase.  Yes, it would pull some folks that have moved on back in (like myself), but you also have to recognize that there is a significant crowd still playing because they are already established in the game, and nearly everything else worth it's salt out there essentially delivers the same experience.  These folks would likely split their time with the vanilla servers, and further lessen the shrinking pool of players in the new servers.

With that said, they could always consilidate servers (or enhance their cross server grouping / phasing) to address population problems.

I'd love to see it, just as I'd love to see EA release a vanilla UO server....but neither will happen.

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

if they put a classic server up and it out performs the expansion servers then, they would be forced to admit they butchered the IP for 9 years of development. Blizzard has the largest ego in the gaming industry, they don't want player to be proven right they screwed up with all the changes and nerfs for more then a decade.

Vanilla server would prove they took the wrong route.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Kedoremos

2) Leveling through questing via ! and ? above heads. This was the first game that had those glyphs. EQ2 came close but it didn't show the feathers above NPC heads (in the game world) until much later.

EQ2 didnt have feathers until later

but the EQ2 quest NPCs did signal you by waving their arms or calling out to you verbally

- which I miss

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by NC-John

if they put a classic server up and it out performs the expansion servers then, they would be forced to admit they butchered the IP for 9 years of development. Blizzard has the largest ego in the gaming industry, they don't want player to be proven right they screwed up with all the changes and nerfs for more then a decade.

Vanilla server would prove they took the wrong route.

...Pretty much this.

Even BC was okay (in my book)- But with WOTLK, DeathKnights and everything after I cannot stomach it. I remember that HUGE Patch where SW was revamped (right before Wrath) and there was some crazy invasion. I was soooo exited and hoped we would see the return of larger Raids, harder content, etc. etc. etc.

To me WOTLK killed WOW. BC was certainly a "step down" but I still thought there was some cool stuff (like my ROFL Copter) but was certainly the begining of the end.

I would sign up again in a Heartbeat for a vanilaa server. Other than that, WOW is dead to me- Dead I say. =P