Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This isn't your normal MMO

Comments

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by loulaki
    Originally posted by boxsnd

Skill isn't required for ANYTHING in this game except for high level tPvP. This is why most of us got bored so quickly.

well  the majority of those who got bored is cause its easy to get exotics and the only which remains (for them) is the legendary which requires legendary effort and its only visual ...

the game is for casuals, not for hardcores ... sorry for hardcores, i was one also one, i just got a life : )

I m a casual player, and it wasn t for me, odd isn t it.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Leucent

well  the majority of those who got bored is cause its easy to get exotics and the only which remains (for them) is the legendary which requires legendary effort and its only visual ...

the game is for casuals, not for hardcores ... sorry for hardcores, i was one also one, i just got a life : )

in my experience on this website 500 hours in couple months is considered casual... i must be UBER casual then.. guess the games perfect for the UBER casual:).

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Skill isn't required for ANYTHING in this game except for high level tPvP. This is why most of us got bored so quickly.

Heh, didn't know that the definition of Hardcore nowadays includes the "want it now" crowd. Can't be bothered investing time in Legendaries? I QUIT! And that's because I'm HARDCORE.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Leucent

in my experience on this website 500 hours in couple months is considered casual... i must be UBER casual then.. guess the games perfect for the UBER casual:).

I'm at around 900 hours now, does that make me semi-casual or quasi-hardcore?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• NoxxumariNoxxumari Member Posts: 16
    I am on dragonbrand and  i have yet to find a lull in people, almost every area is packed with people doing events and leveling. I am 31 now and I go back to the lower level zones to get 100%. i have yet to do dungeons yet because I lag on my 2 year old mac and its hard to jump around like a wooden yoda as a sylvari thief and lag. But I am still enjoying the game =)
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Noxxumari
    So I finally got the game, and it plays great on my mac. Its a HARD mmo to play, zerg in pvp? yes. Pve no, you have to plan and be ready to fight tooth and nail. I like how I can go to the noob areas and still get xp and earn the skill points, and its still a challenge. I had to go through the asura noob area to get to a story quest and decided to clear the zone, stil working on it, its hard because of the level scaleing deal. Its great, this game promotes helping each other even though some dont. If you where on the fence about this game don't listen to the cry babies here, its great its just not WoW, so some people cant get past that, I was that way at first because i have been programmed to just hack and slash my way through it, you are a bad ass in this game but you have to be aware and be skilled.

Bullshit.  Malchor's Leap is harder than most zones in any MMO released since WoW.  Besides, skill hasn't been required in WoW since BC, but people seem to still be playing it.  What's the reason?  The gear treadmill?  Because it hasn't been challenge for years.  "Most of us" is a cop-out, you can't speak for anyone but yourself, but oh how you try to make the numbers seem massive.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Hard to call this game skill based when you only have 5-6 skills. I found this game extremely easy and found nothing challenging to do at all in it. I gave it about 2 months of solid play 600+ hours and one day I woke up and realized it was all a waste of my time. So many better games to play that actually ARE challenging. Any FPS is more challenging. MMORPG's are the easiest games ever made because they think they HAVE to be to keep players. If you died all the time you wouldn't play as likely. Can't blame GW2 for that but its the truth. If the NPC has a 5% chance of killing you over your own human error. It's just to easy.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore
    Any FPS is more challenging.

haha.  That's why I beat most of them in a week.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I don't know, I'm still waiting for a Fantasy MMO that allows me to feel like a bad ass and be an offensive power house in PvE and PvP using a Sword + Shield combo.

Why is Shield ALWAYS a defensive only tool in Fantasy MMOs? wtf

sounds like my guardian she is a beast in pve and PvP....also found your last sentence odd since in gw2 3 classes use shields each one has two abilities and one of those two in each class is an offensive ability http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shield

See, I really liked the Shield Slam kind of ability Warrior has, and the blocking Ability is useful but not very fun/sexy.

I don't like either of the Guardian shield skills.

And even with all the options Warrior has for Main Hand, and the few Guardian has, I never found a combo that I 100% loved.

I would have loved a combination of the Warrior #2 Sword Skill, the Leap attack, but with the Axe Adrenaline special (also kind of a leaping Finisher attack.) But the 3rd skill on Sword was "meh" and I didn't like Bleed (Condition) builds - I like hard hitting crit builds (Axe) but didn't like the Axe 1-3...

If I had to pick a 3rd ability for Main Hand it'd probably be... Warrior MH Mace #2 which I believe was a Counter type skill.

But that's the problem... can't mix/match skills and such in GW2 - hard-set weapons and skills was/is "blah" to me.

Feels like they kind of copped out for the sake of better PvP balance - which is why I really dislike PvP in most MMOs because it generally screws up PvE fun so much.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

Heh, didn't know that the definition of Hardcore nowadays includes the "want it now" crowd. Can't be bothered investing time in Legendaries? I QUIT! And that's because I'm HARDCORE.

Sick post, totally made my evening.

As for the whole love-hate thing, GW2 is more than fine. The only problem it has is the name. Everyone would find it to be an extraordinary experience for its price If it was called "Kill dragons for XP", was made by an indie company and would have had the same B2P system. It does not do everything perfectly, most of us were expecting more but, compared to what's on the market now and considering the B2P thing, it shines.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore
    Hard to call this game skill based when you only have 5-6 skills. I found this game extremely easy and found nothing challenging to do at all in it. I gave it about 2 months of solid play 600+ hours and one day I woke up and realized it was all a waste of my time. So many better games to play that actually ARE challenging. Any FPS is more challenging. MMORPG's are the easiest games ever made because they think they HAVE to be to keep players. If you died all the time you wouldn't play as likely. Can't blame GW2 for that but its the truth. If the NPC has a 5% chance of killing you over your own human error. It's just to easy.

You have 10 skills - not 5-6. 600+ hours in 2 months and you are complaining? That is 10 hours a day? WOW - do anything else? Like work, eat, date, etc. Anyone playing ANY game for that much would get burned out.

Actually, many of the areas lvl 20 and higher are much harder than that. You like to stretch the truth, you must enjoy fishing.....

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by jpnole
    GW2 is really no different from any other MMO.

Can you please give me a link to a game that has not quest hubs, no mobs standing still waiting to be killed and with a pure DE mechanic for progression with different outcomes depends if you fail it or succeeds it.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1/view/forums/thread/372492/Thinking-of-buying-this-game-Read-here.html

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Wrender
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by jpnole
    GW2 is really no different from any other MMO.

Can you please give me a link to a game that has not quest hubs, no mobs standing still waiting to be killed and with a pure DE mechanic for progression with different outcomes depends if you fail it or succeeds it.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1/view/forums/thread/372492/Thinking-of-buying-this-game-Read-here.html

Monthly events is not the same thing as a pure DE based game concept.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by mikahr
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

I guess i am not the only to see the irony in your post here. If Rift only has instance progression  what do you think GW2 has with its dungeons? yeah right..instanced progression. W v W has no progression what so ever. So for those who like progression which i am assuming that majority of MMO players do..they will be grinding instanced dungeons in GW2 for a long time to come.

I know you were tryign to make GW2 look good here but you did the opposite actually.

Youre kinda funny.

So GW2 has all Rift has and then some. And things Rift can only dream about. Joke is on you.

I know you wanted to make GW2 look bad here but you did quite the opposite.

Changing goal posts are we now? and that was a very weak argument because we are not talking about what features both games have but you making a very silly argument that Rift ONLY has instanced progression when in GW2  as far as PVE is concerned all progression is through instanced dungeons. I gues you failed to see the irony there?

Please don't treat me like an idiot and atleast stick to your original point of discussion. And as far as features is concerned after the new expansion Rift has left GW2 behind in terms of features and right now Rift has all that GW2 has and much more that GW2 can only dream about especially a very extensive and detailed housing system.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97
    So I finally got the game, and it plays great on my mac. Its a HARD mmo to play, zerg in pvp? yes. Pve no, you have to plan and be ready to fight tooth and nail. I like how I can go to the noob areas and still get xp and earn the skill points, and its still a challenge. I had to go through the asura noob area to get to a story quest and decided to clear the zone, stil working on it, its hard because of the level scaleing deal. Its great, this game promotes helping each other even though some dont. If you where on the fence about this game don't listen to the cry babies here, its great its just not WoW, so some people cant get past that, I was that way at first because i have been programmed to just hack and slash my way through it, you are a bad ass in this game but you have to be aware and be skilled.

This IS your normal mmo.  There is nothing particularly revolutionary about it, just the same old mechanics with a different name and a slap of paint.  

I also found nothing difficult about it at all.  You can sleep-walk your way through at least 3/4 of the pve content.  

Originally posted by ScaryMonk

This IS your normal mmo.  There is nothing particularly revolutionary about it, just the same old mechanics with a different name and a slap of paint.  

I also found nothing difficult about it at all.  You can sleep-walk your way through at least 3/4 of the pve content.  

at launch sure it was extremely overcrowded and you could just follow the zerg.. Alll DEs were oversaturated making them very little challenge.. but now not the case I usually get a couple of people per DE but not the mass at launch. In this respect I have found tons of DEs a damn good challange and many really difficult. Also the respawn rate and mob density in many areas is way to high making it very easy to get overwhelmed if you aren't really paying attention adding in more difficulty. Honestly I feel people that keep claiming what you say in red haven't tried to level a character since the first month or two of release.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

at launch sure it was extremely overcrowded and you could just follow the zerg.. Alll DEs were oversaturated making them very little challenge.. but now not the case I usually get a couple of people per DE but not the mass at launch. In this respect I have found tons of DEs a damn good challange and many really difficult. Also the respawn rate and mob density in many areas is way to high making it very easy to get overwhelmed if you aren't really paying attention adding in more difficulty. Honestly I feel people that keep claiming what you say in red haven't tried to level a character since the first month or two of release.

I think people who defend GW2 make up stuff as they go. Just earlier in one of the topic regarding problem of low population in lower and especially mid zones, fans were claiming that all DE's are soloable with exception of champ mobs and how low population isn't really an issue while doing content because it can be done bya  single person with ease

But if someone says 'hey content is just too easy and i sleepwalk through it solo' then we have people who would immediately jump to opposite side of fence and say DE's are quite challenging and really difficult. lol.

Fans want to have their cake and eat it too i guess. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I think people who defend GW2 make up stuff as they go. Just earlier in one of the topic regarding problem of low population in lower and especially mid zones, fans were claiming that all DE's are soloable with exception of champ mobs and how low population isn't really an issue while doing content because it can be done bya  single person with ease

But if someone says 'hey content is just too easy and i sleepwalk through it solo' then we have people who would immediately jump to opposite side of fence and say DE's are quite challenging and really difficult. lol.

The facts are that many DEs can indeed be soloed, but those that involve Champion level mobs or are specifically designed to be "Group Event"s do require multiple players, such as those in Orr for the most part. It's not an either or, both exist.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

The facts are that many DEs can indeed be soloed, but those that involve Champion level mobs or are specifically designed to be "Group Event"s do require multiple players, such as those in Orr for the most part. It's not an either or, both exist.

I know that i am just talking about the bi polar nature of such arguments. it is quite possible that dynamic events are both diffuclt and easier but sadly majority of posts by fans here deal in absolutes which makes it kind of hard to take them seriously.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Volkon

I know that i am just talking about the bi polar nature of such arguments. it is quite possible that dynamic events are both diffuclt and easier but sadly majority of posts by fans here deal in absolutes which makes it kind of hard to take them seriously.

Ah, yes, good point. Of course that applies to both sides of the fence, not just fans of course.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

I guess i am not the only to see the irony in your post here. If Rift only has instance progression  what do you think GW2 has with its dungeons? yeah right..instanced progression. W v W has no progression what so ever. So for those who like progression which i am assuming that majority of MMO players do..they will be grinding instanced dungeons in GW2 for a long time to come.

I know you were tryign to make GW2 look good here but you did the opposite actually.

Youre kinda funny.

So GW2 has all Rift has and then some. And things Rift can only dream about. Joke is on you.

Changing goal posts are we now? and that was a very weak argument because we are not talking about what features both games have but you making a very silly argument that Rift ONLY has instanced progression when in GW2  as far as PVE is concerned all progression is through instanced dungeons. I gues you failed to see the irony there?

Please don't treat me like an idiot and atleast stick to your original point of discussion. And as far as features is concerned after the new expansion Rift has left GW2 behind in terms of features and right now Rift has all that GW2 has and much more that GW2 can only dream about especially a very extensive and detailed housing system.

Its not my fault your post has opposite effect than you wanted to. Next time try better, but its hard because you dont really have an argument.

And its funny that you push it, ANet saw that instance progression is to narrow and shallow and will expand that same progression to all facets of the game. You just dig deeper and deeper.

Not to mention that, how long ago was Rift released AND it requires redundant 15/month for a lesser experience lol (unless you are herdcore raider)

Enjoy

I never found any difficulty in PvE in any MMO so what.

I don't know, I'm still waiting for a Fantasy MMO that allows me to feel like a bad ass and be an offensive power house in PvE and PvP using a Sword + Shield combo.

Why is Shield ALWAYS a defensive only tool in Fantasy MMOs? wtf

sounds like my guardian she is a beast in pve and PvP....also found your last sentence odd since in gw2 3 classes use shields each one has two abilities and one of those two in each class is an offensive ability http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shield

See, I really liked the Shield Slam kind of ability Warrior has, and the blocking Ability is useful but not very fun/sexy.

I don't like either of the Guardian shield skills.

And even with all the options Warrior has for Main Hand, and the few Guardian has, I never found a combo that I 100% loved.

I would have loved a combination of the Warrior #2 Sword Skill, the Leap attack, but with the Axe Adrenaline special (also kind of a leaping Finisher attack.) But the 3rd skill on Sword was "meh" and I didn't like Bleed (Condition) builds - I like hard hitting crit builds (Axe) but didn't like the Axe 1-3...

If I had to pick a 3rd ability for Main Hand it'd probably be... Warrior MH Mace #2 which I believe was a Counter type skill.

But that's the problem... can't mix/match skills and such in GW2 - hard-set weapons and skills was/is "blah" to me.

Feels like they kind of copped out for the sake of better PvP balance - which is why I really dislike PvP in most MMOs because it generally screws up PvE fun so much.

i feel the same in just about every MMO.. honestly if it was me i would just make a completely differn't set of skills for PVP in GW2 i also would add in an interchangeable weapon skill system but alas ill enjoy what i can play with...

Oh and Spock if you do give the game a shot again mesmer is really a great class.. I played one in BWE and didn't care for it at all but now it's by far my favorite class.. it just has such a unique feel and the weapon sets are really very diverse, on top of that you can really change how your memser plays just by changing around traits and going from differn't types of illusion builds. Shatter build is great for leveling:)

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864
    Oh look, more GW2 promotion.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Tazlor
    Oh look, more GW2 promotion.

And your problem with that is?

Nothing wrong with a game that people are enjoying unless, you are a killjoy.

Youre kinda funny.

Its not my fault your post has opposite effect than you wanted to. Next time try better, but its hard because you dont really have an argument.

And its funny that you push it, ANet saw that instance progression is to narrow and shallow and will expand that same progression to all facets of the game. You just dig deeper and deeper.

Not to mention that, how long ago was Rift released AND it requires redundant 15/month for a lesser experience lol (unless you are herdcore raider)

Enjoy

Huh? suffering from short term memory loss are we? You claim Rift has nothing but only instanced progression. This was your original post.

Rift? lol

Only noce thing about Rift were open beta weekends so you can find out how bland the game is. Only thing Rift has is instance progression for those who like that, but it seems not many at all do.

For someone who praise GW2 night and day, i am sorry but it is hard  to ignore the irony in your post. You love to make claims without backing them up though..maybe that is your style i don't know but exaggeration is bad way to make an argument . So i simply asked you that, if Rift only has instanced progression where does the progression in GW2 PVE lies? yes instanced dungeons.

You obviously circled around my question and made another ridiculous claim that GW2 has everything that Rift got and more and Rift can only dream to have all those features even though that is false statement. I see that you do this quite often. I don't know what opposite effect my post had on this argument but one thing is for sure, you make stuff as you go and your arguments are paper thin at best.

And you don't have to tell me how long ago Rift was released, you are the one brought up the feature comparison not me.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney