Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this a joke?

Comments

• tomato_kwantomato_kwan Member Posts: 44

I got around 100k~200k per sec

It's slower than I expected though.....it was much better in CB.....I guess they have more participants in OB than expected.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by pupurun
    As a 40 year old child i got one thing to say to you. Indie or not..they are selling a product. And adding bandwidth means spending money. If they want to earn money they have to spend some

If you don't know the difference between beta and production, and the concept of F2P with cash shop... you've got some reading to do.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166

I just registered at the website and full of joy and with a thrilling sensation i pressed the download button...Only to see after a while:

Download Speed:   11.00 KB/sec

Is this a joke? Tgey seriously expect us to take them seriously and give them our money? And don't give me the usual " its beta/its the start/its new and there is a tremendous load on the download server'' crap , because i remember online games with a much bigger hype and logiacally server loads that had a much bigger upload rate at all their players (US and EU).

Trion with RIFT for one...Fastest closed/open beta download of a client ever...(played RIFT for a month-don't like it so much).

WHAT MONEY! ITS FREE! Time to upgrade your internet i had my game downloaded and upgraded in under 1hr...[mod edit]

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    No issues here, downloaded quite fast on all three computers. /shrug

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276

I just registered at the website and full of joy and with a thrilling sensation i pressed the download button...Only to see after a while:

Is this a joke? Tgey seriously expect us to take them seriously and give them our money? And don't give me the usual " its beta/its the start/its new and there is a tremendous load on the download server'' crap , because i remember online games with a much bigger hype and logiacally server loads that had a much bigger upload rate at all their players (US and EU).

Trion with RIFT for one...Fastest closed/open beta download of a client ever...(played RIFT for a month-don't like it so much).

Let's see free game that is only about 1000 times better then D3 could ever be!  A way better launch then D3 was! O best part is a company that has no where near the money that blizzard has could make a game 1000 times better. But wait they failed because you got a slow download speed? 

Welcome to the generation of "gimme now or I will rage"

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by NaughtyP
    As a 40 year old child i got one thing to say to you. Indie or not..they are selling a product. And adding bandwidth means spending money. If they want to earn money they have to spend some

If you don't know the difference between beta and production, and the concept of F2P with cash shop... you've got some reading to do.

That's true, but beta is so abused now it's not a really good shield argument.  When a company soft-launches a game (accepts cash shop payments), then they should be ready for prime time criticism.  If they aren't then money shouldn't be changing hands.  The sub-free feature shouldn't excuse any company from scrutiny.

For people to tout it's strengths and proclaim it a Diablo successor in one breath, and then defend flaws, weaknesses, and criticism with the shields of "beta" and "indie" in the next breath is disengenuious at best.

I agree with this. PoE has been launched. No character wipes and working cash shop = Launch. Beta or not, they have launched the game.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I downloaded gameday patch at ~4mbps, but the 1.10 patch I only got upto ~1mbps :(

There's alot of players playing and downloading updates and such right now.  It's just like any launch, you're going to get disconnected, it's going to take awhile to download anything, and the game can lag sometimes.  Overall, I haven't had that bad of a time.  I get disconnected from time to time, but I never lag :)

Edit: Shadow + Whirling Blades = awesomesauce!

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80

Can't say I agree. My friend and I had no problems patching/playing the game last night. I think you were just unlucky.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Is it really necessary to publicly complain about every imperfection and annoyance? Seriously, why are there so many wet blankets on the internet?

Others seem to have managed to download the game. If it was slow for them, they didn't scramble to the forums and start a QQ thread about it.

Just don't play it if it's such a big deal to you OP. You won't be missed.

• thedgethedge Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by Dreamion
    you're the joke.

Agreed.

Is this your first time on the internets? Sheet happens. Get over it or give some feedback but don't make a federal case out of it.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561
    Originally posted by Psychow

Is it really necessary to publicly complain about every imperfection and annoyance? Seriously, why are there so many wet blankets on the internet?

Others seem to have managed to download the game. If it was slow for them, they didn't scramble to the forums and start a QQ thread about it.

Let me put it to you as simple as i can. I am not raging JUST for the fun of it. I m trying to find similar voices through these forums so that some things regarding game launching might be changed one day. And yes i DO believe that most game developers read these kind of forums. As many should agree, once you have a cash shop and you are promoting a "product" you must have the basics running. I never asked for perfect from the start....But at least an average download rate and for the game to launch.Thats 2 basic things that imo are a must. Believe me many times i DON'T get to see those 2 things from some mmos who hide their weaknesses behind the ' we are an indie company/we re in beta" masks.

Dont get me wrong..I am excited about the game and i trully hope it succeeds.  I just think they rushed it. And thats my fear. 

If i open a cafeteria , i should be serving coffee. Might not be great at first...might be late on serving..but hey..i should have the courtesy to serve something....If i don't have enough chairs...just stop accepting people...No excuse there.

And for the last time......JUST BECAUSE IT'S FREE TO PLAY and has a MIni Shop  it doesn't mean they are NOT a business!!!

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    I got the client downloaded in about 4 hours, an average 300kb/sec. It's still rather low, but acceptable. Also, the downloader isn't any cumbersome at all, so I could browse the internet and play other games unaffected while the download was going on. If all else fails, there is also this thing called LIFE that can keep you busy while a videogame downloads. Do give it a shot! 

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• Elitekill4Elitekill4 Member Posts: 99
    Stop being so jaded and upgrade your Internet connection.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Psychow

Let me put it to you as simple as i can. I am not raging JUST for the fun of it. I m trying to find similar voices through these forums so that some things regarding game launching might be changed one day. And yes i DO believe that most game developers read these kind of forums. As many should agree, once you have a cash shop and you are promoting a "product" you must have the basics running. I never asked for perfect from the start....But at least an average download rate and for the game to launch.Thats 2 basic things that imo are a must. Believe me many times i DON'T get to see those 2 things from some mmos who hide their weaknesses behind the ' we are an indie company/we re in beta" masks.

Dont get me wrong..I am excited about the game and i trully hope it succeeds.  I just think they rushed it. And thats my fear. 

If i open a cafeteria , i should be serving coffee. Might not be great at first...might be late on serving..but hey..i should have the courtesy to serve something....If i don't have enough chairs...just stop accepting people...No excuse there.

And for the last time......JUST BECAUSE IT'S FREE TO PLAY and has a MIni Shop  it doesn't mean they are NOT a business!!!

You forgot one tiny little detail in your rage... it hasn't launched yet. This is open beta. What is the main purpose of open beta you ask? Stress test the HW and infrastructure with large numbers of players... sounds to me like you're living proof that the beta test is succeeding.

Sorry you can't freeload like the rest of us.

PS... DL speed before the flood yesterday was 3 MB/s+.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

Considering how many people are posting perfectly acceptable speeds (mine was alright and i was patching the hour it went live) Maybe the issue really is you and not GGG.

However I might suggest you not play the game if a patch speed is going to send you off your rocker.  The game combat is slow compared to D3 and far more deadly. You have very limited bag space and teleport scrolls are limited. If patients and the big picture are not your thing, In PoE you will have a bad time.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Time to upgrade your ISP. Why are you judging a game based on your poor ISP?

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    I've had the client downloaded for years.  DIdn't have to pay money to do so either.  What did the OP spend his money on?
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Wow 11k. That was uber fast back in the 1908s.

Too bad it's FTP. Not interested in games that try to pull out your wallet instead of charging a fixed fee. If it doesn't flop in a couple months like every other FTP game has, I might download it. Hope the speed is better than 11k by then.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Originally posted by Arclan

Too bad it's FTP. Not interested in games that try to pull out your wallet instead of charging a fixed fee. If it doesn't flop in a couple months like every other FTP game has, I might download it. Hope the speed is better than 11k by then.

You had internet in 1908?  Also, when you say 1908s, are you referring to both the 1908 BC and 1908 AD?

The rest of your post wasn't as funny despite the joke that it is.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561
    Originally posted by jpnole

There is no ISP in this world that  allows you to download to thats speed....[mod edit]

An ISDN connection should download even faster than that. Plain as simple..They are not putting out any more bandwidth due to costs they DON'T want to pay. I strongly dissagree but i understand, I am a business man myself. But let me judge them accordingly. You can allow me that right?

*** I have never download a game so slow. And i have downloaded tens of mmos, betas, ftp, bops anything...name it. If my speed was like 100-200 kb/s( which is still a joke) i would never have started this post...

Originally posted by jpnole

There is no ISP in this world that  allows you to download to thats speed.....[mod edit]

An ISDN connection should download even faster than that. Plain as simple..They are not putting out any more bandwidth due to costs they DON'T want to pay. I strongly dissagree but i understand, I am a business man myself. But let me judge them accordingly. You can allow me that right?

*** I have never download a game so slow. And i have downloaded tens of mmos, betas, ftp, bops anything...name it. If my speed was like 100-200 kb/s( which is still a joke) i would never have started this post...

So what did you buy again?

Anyways, perhaps they didn't feel it was completely neccessary for them to buy expensive additional server hardware for this first week and have it be a wasted expense for the rest of ever?

Personally, when I patched the game yesterday, it was slower than normal, but to say I got less than 500kb/s on average would be a lie.

I'm not saying it is your fault, but I am saying it'll be fine soon and the game is worth it.

YMMV

Edit; sometimes I say outlandish things, but even I have trouble feeling this outraged or simulating this level of drama in a massively offended OP lol

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

That's true, but beta is so abused now it's not a really good shield argument.  When a company soft-launches a game (accepts cash shop payments), then they should be ready for prime time criticism.  If they aren't then money shouldn't be changing hands.  The sub-free feature shouldn't excuse any company from scrutiny.

For people to tout it's strengths and proclaim it a Diablo successor in one breath, and then defend flaws, weaknesses, and criticism with the shields of "beta" and "indie" in the next breath is disengenuious at best.

Not really, if you care about the game being 100% polished and ready for release then you should wait for the actual launch. At that point its fair to start complaining.

• PittyHPittyH Member Posts: 116
    Why don't you go download the torrent, [mod edit]

my web design: www.advancedws.com.au

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289

That tends to happen when download servers are heavily loaded. It happens with quite a few games so let's not act like it's a "new" thing.

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Arclan

Flop in a couple months like every other free to play game has? Really? There are a ton of free to play games that surpass the "couple" month mark. Quite a few are in their "year/years" mark.