Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this a joke?

pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

I just registered at the website and full of joy and with a thrilling sensation i pressed the download button...Only to see after a while:

Download Speed:   11.00 KB/sec

Is this a joke? Tgey seriously expect us to take them seriously and give them our money? And don't give me the usual " its beta/its the start/its new and there is a tremendous load on the download server'' crap , because i remember online games with a much bigger hype and logiacally server loads that had a much bigger upload rate at all their players (US and EU).

Trion with RIFT for one...Fastest closed/open beta download of a client ever...(played RIFT for a month-don't like it so much).

Comments

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by pupurun

I just registered at the website and full of joy and with a thrilling sensation i pressed the download button...Only to see after a while:

Is this a joke? Tgey seriously expect us to take them seriously and give them our money? And don't give me the usual " its beta/its the start/its new and there is a tremendous load on the download server'' crap , because i remember online games with a much bigger hype and logiacally server loads that had a much bigger upload rate at all their players (US and EU).

Trion with RIFT for one...Fastest closed/open beta download of a client ever...(played RIFT for a month-don't like it so much).

Did you visit the game's official page? It says:

Our patching servers are under extreme load. We are working on adding capacity. Thanks for your patience

Or are you roleplaying as thou vou not-secret agent 000? ;)

Now that I'm thinking about it. Maybe its Greece specific? I'm also getting 1-5kb/s but others seem to be fine.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• H4renH4ren Member Posts: 1
    Just started the download, thought i'd check it out and see what it's about. 1.59MB/s from start. no complaints here.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

You are getting this game for free and you are complaining? Any speed is worth what you paid for it.

Stop being immature and just accept a lot of people are in the same boat as you so you have to share the bandwidth with them.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • tovontotovonto Member UncommonPosts: 40

There alot smaller then trion and there is alot of hype behind Path of Exile right now, but someone people I know have said restarting the client got them better speeds

• getonagetona Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I'm getting 1.3MB/S don't complain.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Hehe sorry the instant gratification store is closed today you will have to deal with it.

Its free, and sometimes you get what you paid for.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Give them money for what? game is free to download and play. And i doubt you will just start spending your money in cash shop without even first trying the game for a week or so.

Here is a tip. Stay away from beta if you can not deal with pre launch hiccups. And that goes for all the MMOS.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• negacrowbarnegacrowbar Member Posts: 149

A lot of people liked this game in closed beta and a lot of positive word of mouth, plus a game day patch of about 1.5 gb, has made their downloader super clogged....

Give it a few days, or let it download at night. this is a small company that probably didn't expect such a huge turn out for opening day..

They are doing their best, they have Moderaters in game right now helping people, and are really trying to share this passion project with us peeps...

I remember a little game called Minecraft that blew up so fast that Notch had to build a friggin' company to support the game...

I know we can be some jaded peeps in this community, but lets let this lil' indy gem shine and be supportive through their hiccups...

This is not an AAA release, you piad no money to play it, and they are not asking for a dime for any content, just cosmetics...

So, LET'S CALM DOWN ALREADY!!! NO NEED TO PANIC!!!

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

perhaps i didnt make myself clear....i said 11kb/s

i REST my case. Enough said....There is no excuse.The company knows pretty well the possibility of a patching server overload and increasing its bandwidth is not equal as to creating a hydrogen bomb...They should have already done it.

Although you guys are right , i have to be patient for a game that i didnt pay a dime(yet) BUT how many times we've seen the same policy on limited patching bandwidth even from AAA companies? IMO when you enter the huge(in competition) world of mmos you can expect BUGS...and patches...but when you offer me a FREE chance to TRY your product..dont discourage me from minute ONE by making me go through a 1-3 days of downloading , while sometimes offering BETA weekends(LOL).

*Been downloading and playing mmos for almost 17 years from the stone age of dial up through isdn   etc.. Never seen any upload of this ''magnitude'' by a company that SELLS a product.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

REST my case

(been downloading and playing mmos for almost 17 years from the stone age of dial up through isdn   etc.. Never seen any upload of this magnitude by a company that SELLS a product.

It doesnt matter how fast or how slow you are downloading the client. Its a mute point. I downloaded the client last night when everyone was trying to get into the game, took about an hour and a half, nowhere near the speed my internet usually pulls. I just went and did other things, I imagine you would be frustrated if you are just sitting there watching it download. 

In addition, you say you have been playing mmo's for around 17 years and never seen an upload of this magnitude. You are basically full of crap on this. The first client game I played was nexustk, which was around 15 years ago, on my dial up internet 56kb/s I was downloading the client at 3-5 kb/s and it took freaking ages and that was a much much smaller client.

At the end of the day you are being a bit over the top dramatic, have some calm down juice and go outside or do other bits, or evern play another game if need be. Go and occupy yourself.

I would also say that even though this is a f2p game, does not give them the immediate excuse that such things are acceptable. However, they DID pre-warn everyone on their main website, twitter, forums etc a couple days in advance that there will be ISSUES downloading and getting into the game and that they are aggressively ordering new capacity.

I was in closed beta, but stopped for a little while because I knew the final wipe was going to come and I didn't want to venture too far. But I still checked the website out for details every few days and because they had INFORMED me that there were going to be issues, and that you could start to download the client 2 hours before the countdown finishes I was completely SATISFIED with the download speed, because I had been pre-warned.

I was never pre-warned with WoW expansions, Diablo 3, Rift, Age of Conan, SWTOR it was just 'expected' that I would know.

UPDATE 1 :

As someone wrote, restarting could help with the slow downloading so i did so....Nothing changed..still have a spedd of 7-16 KB/s but the fun part is that i LOST all of my previous client installment (almost 7%) wthout changing a thing(just re-started the launcher).  What you have to say about that?

• NivezNivez Member Posts: 93
    4mb for me yesterday AND i had to restart my pc halfway during the install. When i started it back up, it started from where it left off. Bad luck for you or something :( Sorry to hear/read.
  • siuko_uksiuko_uk Member UncommonPosts: 37

When you restart check the amount left....

It starts from 0% again but should be doing it for a smaller amount...

It happened to me last night when I accidentaly closed my client - it started at 0% but was 0% of 230mb so it does remember what you have already downloaded.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

So, it''s not the best start ever. After all, they're a small company launching their first F2P game. If that really bothers you, wait for a few days and try DLing again. It's not like PoE is going anywhere.

I got 300-400 kb/s a few hours ago, though.

• MoochipanMoochipan Member Posts: 1

I created this account to specifically let you know that Path of Exile is COMPLETELY free to play. Even after beta is over. It's Free 2 play. There will never be a time where you will have to pay ANYTHING.

Just thought I'd clear that up because you seemed to be incredibly confused on that.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

i REST my case. Enough said....There is no excuse.The company knows pretty well the possibility of a patching server overload and increasing its bandwidth is not equal as to creating a hydrogen bomb...They should have already done it.

Although you guys are right , i have to be patient for a game that i didnt pay a dime(yet) BUT how many times we've seen the same policy on limited patching bandwidth even from AAA companies? IMO when you enter the huge(in competition) world of mmos you can expect BUGS...and patches...but when you offer me a FREE chance to TRY your product..dont discourage me from minute ONE by making me go through a 1-3 days of downloading , while sometimes offering BETA weekends(LOL).

*Been downloading and playing mmos for almost 17 years from the stone age of dial up through isdn   etc.. Never seen any upload of this ''magnitude'' by a company that SELLS a product.

Settle down, the game will still be there in a few days when the patcher settles down.

No excuse? Its a small indie company with limited resources, they arent making money off the game yet so how are they expected to cope with higher than anticipated demand? This isnt EA or Blizzard here (who both had hiccups with servers), so give them some slack.

If its any consolation, I got it at 2mb/s. Perks of being in Australia and close to NZ I guess :) (about time we got some server love!)

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

UPDATE 1 :

As someone wrote, restarting could help with the slow downloading so i did so....Nothing changed..still have a spedd of 7-16 KB/s but the fun part is that i LOST all of my previous client installment (almost 7%) wthout changing a thing(just re-started the launcher).  What you have to say about that?

I got a slightly better speed running the game in administrator mode. About 151kbps.

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76

UPDATE 1 :

[mod edit]

As far as your DL speed, I would recommend getting internet provider worth a damn. It's not the companies fault your internet is so slow its gonna take ages for you to DL the game. Personally I recieved a speed 3.59mbps and it was done in a jiff. [mod edit]

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

why post on here crying about it..

They have clearly stated on their website that they have load issues, they are not a AAA company with tons of cash to throw at download servers.. just leave it download over night or somthing..

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

oh god... the game is free to play and it's in 1st day of open beta. I don't get why people tend to QQ so much when they don't get something instantly.

It's okay, it's not the end of the world, it's just a game!

Now to the point of your DL speed... I downloaded just fine with 1.3 MB/s just 12 hours ago, but I probably wasn't downloading at their rush hours so just suck it up and postpone the download and run it at wee hours in the night :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Being free to play has nothin to do with anything, but being a very small indie company AND the fact that they let you know on the main website that there are some issues with bandwith or whatever, perhaps you should relax a wee bit on them. As someone already pointed out, they are not blizzard or EA.

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237

People have gotten so ridiculous when it comes to Betas.  They expect finished products with super high performance for a BETA.  This isn't the official release, it is a BETA which means you should expect problems.

So many spoiled, self-entitled children these days.

As a 40 year old child i got one thing to say to you. Indie or not..they are selling a product. And adding bandwidth means spending money. If they want to earn money they have to spend some
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    they are selling a product.

nope

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

so, how much money do you give em exactly?

i got my key for free. thought that's notmal since they are still in ... uh wait nm, nothing you wanna hear :P

uh and btw, when i loaded the game (closed beta) the servers were working quite good. i'd call it "a mass of people loading from the same source" ^^

and for the indi part: when blizzard does a game. they have like 11 million $ backup, no prob to set up a server with that much money.

when indi companies release a game, they get their money either by pre orders or by releasing the game, so i'd say they dont actually HAVE alot of money yet.

this is grinding gear games' first game. obviously they can't afford a server that would hold up to the hype of a "diablo killer" (just check some forums and you will see why i refer to PoE as DK)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"