Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard's Rob Pardo Responds To Celebration Over Diablo III Director's Departure

firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Jay Wilson, director on Diablo III, recently announced that he was leaving Diablo III to work on another project internally at Blizzard. In response, many Diablo fans on Blizzard's message boards were happy. In response to that, Blizzard's chief creative officer, Rob Pardo, jumped in to defend Wilson.

You can read his full response by heading to the message boards, or reading the full quote below. The gist of Pardo's message is that Wilson is an excellent designer who knows what he's doing, and to see such celebration over his departure is upsetting. Pardo appreciates the "rough justice" frequently handed out on Blizzard's message boards, but doesn't believe that justice is being properly served in Wilson's case.

This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

[via NeoGAF]

Comments

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by firefly2003

Jay Wilson, director on Diablo III, recently announced that he was leaving Diablo III to work on another project internally at Blizzard. In response, many Diablo fans on Blizzard's message boards were happy. In response to that, Blizzard's chief creative officer, Rob Pardo, jumped in to defend Wilson.

You can read his full response by heading to the message boards, or reading the full quote below. The gist of Pardo's message is that Wilson is an excellent designer who knows what he's doing, and to see such celebration over his departure is upsetting. Pardo appreciates the "rough justice" frequently handed out on Blizzard's message boards, but doesn't believe that justice is being properly served in Wilson's case.

This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

[via NeoGAF]

This is at least partly a lie.  He says "I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result", yet when he woke up today, he went to the same office and did the same job he did yesterday.  Taking full responsiblity means having consequences for your actions.  So, he should resign.  Pardo's statement here is a thinly veiled marketing ploy, wrought with lies and buzz words.  If it were a Japanese company, they would have all just done Hari Kari right there in the office.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I think they went wrong by not adding more virtual world elements to the game, hopefully this is the first step on that path.
  • steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434

I'm not a game developer, and honestly have little clue just how much work goes into creating a MMO, not to mention trying to appease as many players as possible. Also i never played Diablo 3.   What i do see in this responce is a leader that is not only sticking up for a friend/employee, but also is taking responcibility quite publically.  I can respect that for what it is.

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

This is at least partly a lie.  He says "I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result", yet when he woke up today, he went to the same office and did the same job he did yesterday.  Taking full responsiblity means having consequences for your actions.  So, he should resign.  Pardo's statement here is a thinly veiled marketing ploy, wrought with lies and buzz words.  If it were a Japanese company, they would have all just done Hari Kari right there in the office.

er, that's a bit twisted and a bit too intense.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would be fired or should resign for making a good but not "great" game. And you don't know what conversations have gone on from his superiors so his keeping his job just means that they have confidence that the current game can be made better.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

So... Because he made one of the best-selling games of all time that just did not happen to meet the standars of a small fanatic cult of gamers he should resign...? Yeah sure.. In the real world that is nor how it works. He did his job, like it or not. Will they take the demands of said cult with them in the design of the next diablo game. Sure most likley but that does not equal him as missing the mark.

If you think you can do better there are several crowd funding sites out there for you to cut your teeth at. After all D1 and 2 are not by todays standard very complicated games system or graphics wise.

This have been a good conversation

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Jay Wilson came off as a fake prick from the beginning.

However, when it comes to the game, I'm actually more annoyed with Chris Metzen for the shitty, plot hole-filled storyline. It was the worst I've seen from Blizzard... well, probably ever.

Actually, scratch that, the RMAH is the worst, story is second. They're equally a problem to me, I guess.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by tawess

So... Because he made one of the best-selling games of all time that just did not happen to meet the standars of a small fanatic cult of gamers he should resign...? Yeah sure.. In the real world that is nor how it works.

To that point, as of a few months ago, Diablo III had topped 10 million sales. Nothing to sneeze at there.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/377434/diablo-3-tops-10-million-sales/

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    The combat is great, the talent + rune system is great (when it's not limited by stupid difficulty curves), story was meh (the animation work was great), but the real flaw with D3 . . . R M A H. That had to be the worst design decision (for players) ever, worked out well for their bank account though.
    Originally posted by Sovrath

er, that's a bit twisted and a bit too intense.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would be fired or should resign for making a good but not "great" game. And you don't know what conversations have gone on from his superiors so his keeping his job just means that they have confidence that the current game can be made better.

I agree that it would be extreme if he made a good but not "great" game.  He made Diablo 3 though, which is the only game I'd say ever that deserves a 0/10.  I have said numerous times that IMO, it's worse than ET and worse than the virtual boy.  Now, if they completely removed the RMT AH, it goes up to 1/10 for me.  If they remove the RMT AH and their DRM method, I'd say it's at least a 4/10, possibly more.  I'd never say it was a good game though.

And BTW, sales do not make games great/good/anything.  It just means you had hype and marketing.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by Sovrath

So... Because he made one of the best-selling games of all time that just did not happen to meet the standars of a small fanatic cult of gamers he should resign...? Yeah sure.. In the real world that is nor how it works.

To that point, as of a few months ago, Diablo III had topped 10 million sales. Nothing to sneeze at there.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/377434/diablo-3-tops-10-million-sales/

He is also at least partly suggesting that ritual suicide is in order.  Over a game.  Oh the humanity!

So... Because he made one of the best-selling games of all time that just did not happen to meet the standars of a small fanatic cult of gamers he should resign...?

Didn't Diablo 2 top 20 million copies sold a long time ago?  Take your 10 million copies sold, and subtract every Blizzard fanboy who bought the game because of their crossover games.  One analyst suggessted they might have 4 million sold without cross-promotion.  So, there are ~16 million people out there who are boycotting this game.  And you call this a small group?  LOL!

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Hear here!
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

So... Because he made one of the best-selling games of all time that just did not happen to meet the standars of a small fanatic cult of gamers he should resign...?

Didn't Diablo 2 top 20 million copies sold a long time ago?  Take your 10 million copies sold, and subtract every Blizzard fanboy who bought the game because of their crossover games.  One analyst suggessted they might have 4 million sold without cross-promotion.  So, there are ~16 million people out there who are boycotting this game.  And you call this a small group?  LOL!

Seven not twenty. More people have bought D3 than ever played D2. There are an estimated 7,045,562,892
    people that haven't bought Diablo 3 on earth. Are they all to be counted as boycotting the game? One analyst suggested the moon is made of green cheese. Should we believe that too?

And wouldnt it be interesting to know how many people who excitingly purchased Diablo 3 were pissed off with what they recieved "dissatisfied customer's"

Slice it any way you want...

It may have sold 10 million + copies, but the game fails big time in more ways then one. Reputation being a big one.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by steelheartx

I'm not a game developer, and honestly have little clue just how much work goes into creating a MMO, not to mention trying to appease as many players as possible. Also i never played Diablo 3.   What i do see in this responce is a leader that is not only sticking up for a friend/employee, but also is taking responcibility quite publically.  I can respect that for what it is.

I'll drink to that. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by laserit

Seven not twenty. More people have bought D3 than ever played D2. There are an estimated 7,045,562,892
    people that haven't bought Diablo 3 on earth. Are they all to be counted as boycotting the game? One analyst suggested the moon is made of green cheese. Should we believe that too?

And wouldnt it be interesting to know how many people who excitingly purchased Diablo 3 were pissed off with what they recieved "dissatisfied customer's"

It may have sold 10 million + copies, but the game fails big time in more ways then one. Reputation being a big one.

Well if Metacritic and other sites are any indication most were dissatisfied customer's lol. Might end up being a bad thing that it sold so many copies because it means Blizzard has effectively ticked off a great deal of people and left them feeling ripped off lol.... 

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Speaking for the world now too? Because outside of a few dozen internet malcontents I haven't seen any great outcry.

yup, just like the outcry on simcity coming out for they have a constant online connection requirment, but as with d3, I will be getting that one as well. I play games to enjoy them, not to make a statement.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I wonder how many wow players bought D3. When a company that makes a game that soooo many people think is a good game for the time they played it, it's not really unreasonable to think the same quality is going to be found in another game they put out.

Wonder how many of those ppl still think that.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I wonder how many wow players bought D3. When a company that makes a game that soooo many people think is a good game for the time they played it, it's not really unreasonable to think the same quality is going to be found in another game they put out.

Wonder how many of those ppl still think that.

I played WoW and gave it a few months and in those few months I struggled to like it ,however every other game blizzard has come out with I have enjoyed so far. Even d3.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

Speaking for the world now too? Because outside of a few dozen internet malcontents I haven't seen any great outcry.

lol... a few dozen? Again... look at any place that has a place for player ratings. Your few dozen becomes thousands upon thousands. Those that post anything postive fit the "Few Dozens" a great deal better than those that have and continue to have issue with D3 for various reasons lol. 

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

I agree that it would be extreme if he made a good but not "great" game.  He made Diablo 3 though, which is the only game I'd say ever that deserves a 0/10.  I have said numerous times that IMO, it's worse than ET and worse than the virtual boy.  Now, if they completely removed the RMT AH, it goes up to 1/10 for me.  If they remove the RMT AH and their DRM method, I'd say it's at least a 4/10, possibly more.  I'd never say it was a good game though.

And BTW, sales do not make games great/good/anything.  It just means you had hype and marketing.

Your 0/10 score only holds up if the only 2 games that ever existed were Diablo 2 and Diablo 3.

And even then, you'd only need a binary scoring system, so it would've been a 0/1 score.

Insanity.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

Annual pass accounts for 1.2 million D3 sales. Not 6 million, like your "analyst" suggests. Outright lying is just embarassing.

source: http://www.videogamer.com/pc/diablo_3/news/diablo_iii_sets_pc_sales_record_sells_3_5_million_units_in_24_hours.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_video_games

Again, I must stress this, you were caught lying there.This information is freely available.

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

lol... a few dozen? Again... look at any place that has a place for player ratings. Your few dozen becomes thousands upon thousands. Those that post anything postive fit the "Few Dozens" a great deal better than those that have and continue to have issue with D3 for various reasons lol. 

Do you have any idea how those sites work? You can start by excluding the 90% of the ratings that were made before the game even came out.

Ok, I admit that if you disregard the only metrics we have on player satisfaction it seems people really did like Diablo 3... 

Disregard what players have said on the forums, disregard player reviews, disregard what players say in chat, disregard what players you meet and know in real life say when you ask them, disregard polls and yes... I admit it can seem like most actually enjoyed Diablo 3 lol... 

I mean seriously, it's not like there were so many on the Diablo 3 forums unhappy with the game cheering and celebrating the departure of Jay Wilson that Rob Pardo had to step in and try and defend him.... 

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Wrong direction Rob, don't try to take the blame, just cut him loose from the company as a whole, write d3 up as a total one stop drop flop, and try again. Sick of Blizzard trying to cover for this guy. Whether he hired him or not, Jay should be held responsible for a lot of the issues with the game ya know, since he was, responsible perhaps?

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

So... Because he made one of the best-selling games of all time that just did not happen to meet the standars of a small fanatic cult of gamers he should resign...? Yeah sure.. In the real world that is nor how it works. He did his job, like it or not. Will they take the demands of said cult with them in the design of the next diablo game. Sure most likley but that does not equal him as missing the mark. Yes the game sold well but the backlash has spoken for iteself. So.. Because a game sold well and many who bought the game gave feedback expressing how dissapointed they were with the title, resulting in negative publicity and potentially hurting sales of future titles by Blizzard, then nothing can be done to the people at the top? Yeah sure.. In the real world there are potential repercussions if you doa bad job, regardless of how well it sells initially. Short term sure the game has made them money, but long term this type of quality can come back and bite them although Blizzard has a huge following that would buy anything they put out and call it gold.  You say he did his job, I say he did it poorly and should be evaluated on quality and not how many units were bought. I won't argue opinions on the game since we all have our own, but let's not act like it is a tiny minority who felt betrayed by the title. Look it up.

If you think you can do better there are several crowd funding sites out there for you to cut your teeth at. After all D1 and 2 are not by todays standard very complicated games system or graphics wise. So we have to be game designers to have opinions on the products we buy. I don't think I can do better at game design but then again it isn't my job.  I bought and played D3 based on the games they have released in the past and have enjoyed them, but I was sorely dissapointed in D3. I guess my opinions irrelevant though because I know I can't do a better job.

I respect that he came out to the defence of his co worker. I read some of the nasty remarks and felt they were to harsh. But  IMO it is to late to play the blame game since the guy has already resigned. Too little too late. Hopefully they can turn things around at some point.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Hey this is the internet, don't spoil their petty arguements with facts!