Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] MechWarrior Online: Spider Mechs (and More) Creep Into MWO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MechWarrior Online is continuing to build big things for its playerbase, none more than the upcoming patch which will bring big changes into the game including the fast and furious Spider Mech. We check in with Russ Bulloch to find out what else is in store for players in our exclusive interview. Read on and then discuss the article in the comments.

Russ started off by talking about the versatility of the new Spider Mech. It is a light scout mech that they wanted to update with a more modern look. They took the original artwork and brought it into the digital era. We asked Russ how the Spider Mech has changed the battlefields and he explained that it is always an ongoing balance process when they enter in a new mech. The team continues to watch the balance between how individual mechs and even lances stack up. The Match Making system is very important to the developers and they want to make sure players have fair challenges any time they log in. 

Read more of Garrett Fuller's MechWarrior Online: Spider Mechs (and More) Creep Into MWO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    This game is fun, but I cant wait for bigger maps.
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I wish this game wasn't World of Mechs. Would have liked somehting with a meta game

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• WolfHaartWolfHaart Member UncommonPosts: 216
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    I wish this game wasn't World of Mechs. Would have liked somehting with a meta game

Well it is still Beta.

What I've heard/read you will later on be able to fight over planets and the recourses they yield. You can also hire Mercs to fight for you.

ofc this is just what I can remember, there will be more stuff to do later on I bet. And ofc, dont take my word for it. But I'm too lazy to find the comments. Bet you can find if you want to know more.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Bigger maps are comming, the next map (releasedate March) will be at least twice as big as the biggest current map and the devs have hinted at it being bigger still (hints dropped in the latest NoGutsNoGalaxy podcast)

This have been a good conversation

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444
    I've been playing this game a little bit for the last few days and I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing. Well, I learned how to lock on and have my LRMs hit the target (and I know what LRM stands for!), and I'm not constantly getting stuck on buildings anymore, but I know practically zilch about the stuff going on in the garage. Now I know what my 9th-graders felt when I had them write balanced ionic compounds.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    I have 4 light mechs & the spider has become my firm favorite light Mech. Looking forward to great new updates.
  • TithenonTithenon Member UncommonPosts: 113

I was a big fan of BattleTech from the end of 1984, loved the tabletop, have played every one of the computer games, and truly enjoyed everything about them except PvP.  It was unfair, disorganized, a veritable single-Mech contest EVERY SINGLE TIME.

MechWarrior Online is everything I have ever wanted from a BattleTech game put on the computer.  I understand there are still some balance issues, but the gameplay is immersive, amazingly fun, and even a person like me can get to love PvP.

I had begun a mercenary unit in MWO -at least on the forums, there- and we were doing well, until the policies all of us had agreed on came to mean nothing to those who were in the top echelon, except for me, and I was likened to Hitler as a result.  That's old news.

For my part, BattleTech now no longer holds any appeal or draw for me and so, even though I purchased Founders, I will not be participating, I don't think.  I've moved on to other climes with gaming.  That's not to say I won't participate when the game goes live, as I still have not used my Founders points, yet, but for now I'm out, because of other selfish people.

Overall, the community for MWO is great and, again, I will freely tell you that MWO, itself, is absolutely awesome.  So, any of you that have reservations about giving it a try, don't have those reservations, and those of you worried about never being seen by your wife and kids, again, that's also true, hehe.

Have fun, guys... this game is the cat's meow of BattleTech, and well-worth your time.

Oh, and ps - I don't work for Piranha.  I wouldn't have the chops, hehe.

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80

Right now, MW:O is just your typical online match-based FPS game... but with mechs. If you're all about PvP then this game's for you, but if you're looking for something more then prepare to be disappointed.

• TheBlackCrowTheBlackCrow Member Posts: 12

Hostel community, buggy mechanics, balance issues, horrid redesigns on mechs,.(Including the spider.) No in game VoIP, did I mention the hostel community????

Love it when people say " its beta"..No its open beta and the big issues with this game should have been fixed by now. Open beta should have only minor problems that need to be tweaked. Even on this site it shows FINAL not beta!

This game is a joke. Pugs are attacked on the forums and in game. The mods let this happen and even join in on the fun. The devs have 0 communications to the players (except in their little threads that they rarely post in).

Stay away like the plague!!

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Sad some poster is simply a hater that plays the bashing game.

The community in MWO is in general extremely helpful to newcomers that ask questions about the game!

Though it also fights fusiously everyone that wants to make the game become another fast foot action shoter.

This game is unique and the uniqueness is its strength.

Were else can play Dads and Sons and Wifes and Daughters play together?

The age of players ranges from 8 yrs to almost 90 yrs.

Were else can you outfit you combat vehicle with no restrictions but the available hardpoints and tonnage?

Were else can you blow limbs to slow down your opponent, blow arms and bodyparts to disable werapons, go for a headshot with superior skill to make a quck kill, get in the back to penetrate the weak rear armor to wreak havoc to the guts of a Mech, have your life and death a meaning for the result of a match etc. ?

MWO is still at the beginning, the playerbase steadily grows, content and polish is added each month, European Servers will be added, the Devs communicate much with the playerbase, they even play many games with the playerbase, each week has the NGNG twitch event, podcasts, enough Lore to invest years of life to read through.

Mechwarrior is a fantastic game that only gets better each month.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• TheBlackCrowTheBlackCrow Member Posts: 12

Thorq you sound like the marketing department for PGI.

If you want to see pug and newcomer bashing I’ll gladly post the links. But you know for a fact that MWO community is nothing but hostel fanbois. I would NEVER let a child play that game! Such negative behavior and insulting in game is beyond words. Something a child should never see.

The beginning is actually the end for this game. It has such bad direction. It has awful gameplay even in the so called open “beta” phase.  All the issues I pointed out, you have white washed them....you only start your typical propaganda.