Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Path of Exile be 2013 Game of the Year?!

HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

I think Path of Exile will go down to many of us as game of the year.

Quality touches every aspect of this game.

I get the feeling of something magical everytime I play, even when im doing the same thing/farming.

I truly am astonished at the professionalism of GGG as well.

Sure it's very early in 2013, there are plenty of games that I am just as excited for (BnS/Archeage/etc) but when 2014 hits I truly believe with all my heart that this will be the game that stood out for me in 2013.

-Fanboi for sure but honest in his opinion

Hero Evermore
Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

Comments

• mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

No, it's incredibly stale in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, if you want a Diablo 2 clone 10 years late, this is the perfect game for you, but game of the year?

On the other hand, there's probably a generation of gamers out there that was too young to experience the dozens of games that were exactly like this a decade ago.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Were all entitled to our opinions and I appreciate yours! I played diablo 1 and 2 but never online. Just beat the solo campaign a few times on each so I never really delved into an "arpg" like this before. Im a very focused fantasy mmorpg gamer. Which is why I think this game has such a HUGE impact on me. It truly is my first real ARPG obsession. Unless you count Secret of Mana for SNES (I got saves with 1k hours on that baby)   

Hero Evermore

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

I think Path of Exile will go down to many of us as game of the year.

Quality touches every aspect of this game.

I get the feeling of something magical everytime I play, even when im doing the same thing/farming.

I truly am astonished at the professionalism of GGG as well.

Sure it's very early in 2013, there are plenty of games that I am just as excited for (BnS/Archeage/etc) but when 2014 hits I truly believe with all my heart that this will be the game that stood out for me in 2013.

-Fanboi for sure but honest in his opinion

How long have you played it for? I've been beta-ing it for some time, and, while being a great game, it has its serious problems. A huge passive skill tree, but just a few "working" builds. Not that many skills. Short. True, it does itemization way way better than "the other game", the gem synergies is awesome and overall it keeps you hooked for a while, until you realize that your build is not really adapted for the higher difficulty levels, and you have to reroll. You cannot adapt to something which you dont know how it would be. All in all, while PoE is indeed a great game... game of the year? No, i don't think so.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    I have been playing PoE for 4 months off and on. I guess for a game of the year title it would need to bring more NEW to the table but it still has my vote. Sure the year is early but im going to enjoy my enthusiasm for the game to my fullest hehe!

Hero Evermore

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    No.  retro gaming might have its place, but i don't think it will really apply to PoE,  would have been pretty good 5 or 6 years ago though, would definitely have given diablo a run for its money, but currently if i had to choose between PoE and Torchlight II, i'd rather pick Torchlight II...  in some ways it even reminds me of legends of Mir.. image
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

No

Dont get me wrong its an awesome game but i dont think its game of the year material...

Its certainly better than last years game of the year thats for sure but the devs dont have the kind of cash to throw at the people who make up the game of the year crap..

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore
    I have been playing PoE for 4 months off and on. I guess for a game of the year title it would need to bring more NEW to the table but it still has my vote. Sure the year is early but im going to enjoy my enthusiasm for the game to my fullest hehe!

And so you should, it is indeed a great game! For me it brings a lot of "NEW", i absolutely Love some of the systems - as i've said, gems synergy is extraordinary, the re-socketing, re-rolling of stats on gear is great also, the whole 3-kind of defense is cool too, the fact that you can Radically change your character just with 1 skillpoint and build around that change is Great!

However, i'd like to see these kind of systems and complexity in a more polished game, with more inspired skills, smoother gameplay and more content, more variation in content - the "new" i expect from the ARPG genre is some variation in content, events, random boss (not minies) spawns, timed mazes where you have to click things to unlock, followers or pets of different kinds, with full gear, who's damage matters an important chunk (i've always wanted that in ARPG's), some other things to surprise and amaze me. 

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

dude, the game basicly just released and you ask for content of a game that has atleast 2 expansions.

Don't forget they will host lots of weekend events and whatnot which can be pretty interesting. hopefully also the cut throat soon which is very new to the ARPg genre

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    its too early in the year to tell.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• minttunatorminttunator Member UncommonPosts: 131

As much as I like this game, I have to go with "no" - there are just so many promising games set to come out this year, it's pretty likely that something will top PoE. For example: 

• Age of Decadence
    • Chaos Chronicles
    • Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    • Divinity: Original Sin
    • Eschalon Book III
    • Grim Dawn
    • Legends of Eisenwald
    • Shadowrun Online
    • War for the Overworld
    • Xenonauts
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    No, I'm thinking it's going to be something like Bard101

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.