Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone like any mmo?

13»

Comments

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I liked precu SWG. 

I liked WOW, but I played it for over a year and decided to move on.

I liked LOTRO.

I liked APB, the original version.

I liked AOC.

I like GW2.

I like Tera.

I like Rift.

There's a lot of games I like.  I make criticisms or wish lists...I wish this game had this, I wish it had tthat.  Just because I'm critical of something doesn't mean I don't like it.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I've enjoyed WoW way back in the day but it's long grown stale for me. 

I got a good half a year out of EvE .  I thought it was pretty entertaining until I grew a little bored. 

I think the two mmorpgs I've enjoyed the most were Pirates of the Burning Sea and the recent Guild Wars 2. 

Even though its very sub par for an mmorpg, I'm some what getting the itch to go back and play Star Trek Online as well. 

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

played swtor during beta and continued to play til may of last year.

so now basically i am bouncing around playing games casually till i find that one addictive game (like how i felt with wow)

league of legends

the secret world

guild wars 2

aion

cabal

hoping to be able to join the beta testing of teso and currently having fun with cbt of warframe!

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by Corehaven

I've enjoyed WoW way back in the day but it's long grown stale for me. 

I got a good half a year out of EvE .  I thought it was pretty entertaining until I grew a little bored. 

I think the two mmorpgs I've enjoyed the most were Pirates of the Burning Sea and the recent Guild Wars 2. 

Even though its very sub par for an mmorpg, I'm some what getting the itch to go back and play Star Trek Online as well. 

How is STO now? I played it at release and really wanted to like it since I am a big Star Trek fan. It just did not hold me. I know it has gone through a lot of changes but I wonder if it is worth trying now. Even though it is F2P I do not want to waste my time.

• jinko132jinko132 Member Posts: 1

I have played games since 1985 when i got my first computer C 64.

Later it has been harder to find a game that can get me hooked. Played Lotro for a few years and i have tried AOC, TSW and many others like that. Nothing really got me.... So i tried wurm online again. Tried it a few years ago and i realy liked the sandbox game but the grafic sucked to much so i had to leave it. Since they released 1.0 version the grafic made it playable. I have very good hopes for this game. One of the mayor problem as i see it is the ingame economi that dosent work at all. Very hard to make any cash at all. Because after a few month you can make most stuff on your own. So the only thing to sell ingame is the resources and some easy building items that you can grind for weeks without having enough.

Otherwise its cool. You have NPC monsters and pvp and raiding ofcourse.

Mostly a game for those who played papper and pen games when they was kid. The game aint shallowed and everything has a cause. Like storing food in a barrel and put water into it. The food wont turn bad so fast. Add salt to it and you can eat it next month ;) Even hardcore gamers learn something new every now and then and the updates comes quicker now.

If this game cant hold me for a few month or even years i dont know what else i would play.

Maybe i try Darkfall the second failure. I tried the first version and liked it some but apperantly not enough.

/J

Originally posted by birdycephon
    I like just about any MMO, but there are some that I'd rather play more than others.

I am a bit like that too. I rarely complain about an mmo and like most that I try. I might not devote a lot of time to them all but I have to try most of them. Mmos have changed a lot and the choices are bigger then ever. However I really miss the sandox play of SWG pre-nge the most. I have high hope for Origins of Malu. I still feel EQ2 as a corss between sandbox and theme part is the best show in town. I love collecting stuff and Rift has added a bit of that but EQ2 has so much to offer. I miss the ability to effect the game world and own a little piece of it like SWG offered so I settle for what EQ2 allows.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by eccoton

How is STO now? I played it at release and really wanted to like it since I am a big Star Trek fan. It just did not hold me. I know it has gone through a lot of changes but I wonder if it is worth trying now. Even though it is F2P I do not want to waste my time.

I like it. MUCH better space combat than Eve. Some of the story missions are pretty interesting and entertaining. Just try it .. play the story missions as SP games .. if that entertainment you, you will get a couple of weeks of free entertainment. Everything else is just gravy.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    I have been comnig to mmorpg.com for years now and never before have some many members disliked so many mmos. I use to post a lot here but the last couple years I have stepped back due to the fact that if you liked any mmo you were attacked about your support of it. It is then explained in detail why you were wrong for liking it and that you were brain washed by the developers. If you go to any of the forums for any of the top rates games it seems the majority of post dislike the game. So I have a simple question, since so many here claim to love mmos but few seem to like any current mmos. Does anyone actually like any of the current mmos? I actually like, EQ2, Rift, GW2, WOW, and a few more. You do not need to tell my why I am wrong in liking these games just tell me what current mmos you like if any. I am just curious.

Im a gamer first and foremost for over 20+ years.  I love games. period.  There are not ones I dislike just ones that get played less :-)

In terms of MMOs, with the slew of F2P AAA titles I am having a blast.  Currently playing:

GW2

SWTOR

TSW

EQ

WOW

Soon to add TERA in February.

I am also a gamer but love mmos. I go back a bit further then 20 years. it is 40 years for me. 1972 the first home video game system Magnavox Odyssey I begged my parents for one. I was hooked! Then I went through to golden age of arcades from about 1974 to 1984. I have loved games and owned almost every home system. However, it was 1996 when I tried a little know game at the time Meridian 59 and that is when I caught the mmo bug and I have played most of them since.

LOL. I was born in 1972, but did remember the Magnavox Odyssey.  Did that game have a plastic six shooter gun?  Where you shot square dots that flashed across the screen?  That was the one I had.  Huge arcade fan as I played in the murky bowling alleys my dad took me to in order to meet his drinking buddies.  Yeah I guess drunk bowling was a thing in the 70s/80s ;D

I worked backwards.  I followed the console path from NES to present and got bored with how casual console games had become (could be due to my experience or age).  Meaning games like COD BO didnt do it for me.  I liked the slower, longer, RPG franchises like Dragon Quest (Heavenly Bride being my all time Favorite) and Final Fantasy (stopped when it went all CGI on playstation).

My first MMO which was also my introduction to PC gaming was SWTOR. Star Wars. Asset Management. Online with other people. What was there to no like?  Got bored in 30 days as I missed exploring and looking around corners and such.  Found this site and downloaded nearly every MMO since :D    EQ, EQ2, DCUO, Vanguard, Forsaken World, Eden Eternal, Guild Wars, Rift and finally WoW (as of MoP expansion). 

Playing through all of those titles constantly I started to develop my own taste in what I like in my mmo.  Of all that I played its actually EQ style and presentation I really liked (has the best world for exploring hands down - wish it got a graphical and mechanics update).   I love the idea of playing a game for years and slowly growing that character with a TON of things to do. I have also heard SWG has a similiar (if not better) design to this which I believe I would have loved, but unfortunately never got to see.

Dont see today's MMOs comparing to the ones I played from the past.  Seem to cater to quick console-like action vinettes with light RPG tropes of stat progression.  I DO like themepark like elements, but want that compensated with other systems to flesh out the full experience.  I want to quest, but I also want to fish. I want to make a boat.  I want to figure out how to get treasure from under water.  I want to be an adventurer.  Braving this virtual world and dealing with whatever I come across.

Doubt developers wil go back to that style due to how popular the former is today.

Dont see today's MMOs comparing to the ones I played from the past.  Seem to cater to quick console-like action vinettes with light RPG tropes of stat progression.  I DO like themepark like elements, but want that compensated with other systems to flesh out the full experience.  I want to quest, but I also want to fish. I want to make a boat.  I want to figure out how to get treasure from under water.  I want to be an adventurer.  Braving this virtual world and dealing with whatever I come across.

Doubt developers wil go back to that style due to how popular the former is today.

YOu want to MAKE A BOAT? Is there any game ever let you do that?

And why you do need to "figure out how to get treasure under water"? Just swim to it and click. Lots of games have that.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

And why you do need to "figure out how to get treasure under water"? Just swim to it and click. Lots of games have that.

Yes. Why should I not be able to make a boat?  And sail on the ocean.  Yes ArcheAge lets you not only build a boat but you can build a ship, become a pirate, have ship to ship battles and fight a kraken.

By figure out I meant discover the method to go underwater (i.e. - finding/crafting the diving aparatus to allow you to breathe underwater).  The better you can make/tweak the apparatus the longer further you can go underwater.  ArcheAge lets you do that too.

In Everquest to get your EPIC 1.0 weapon you had to figure out what to do, who to talk to. It was a quest with a Yellow question mark that shows a glowly trail of where to go and puts dots on your map of what to kill.  It was actually several quests with the later requiring you to group up to help you.

That challenge in figuring stuff out in MMOs has been lost in these recent MMOs (and I'd argue on this recent generation).

If I wanted to jump in the water and just swim Ill play Jungle King.  But when I play an MMO I want complexity and depth.

Originally posted by tixylix
    I like emulators that bring back the experience of MMOs I used to like before they were ruined. Sadly mmorpg.com bans anyone who talks about them for some reason :

Because some like games instead of world simulators.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Vanguard allowed it and it was fun and made the world feel more alive, sadly though SOE added all the teleportation shit and killed that feeling of travel time. I don't get the development on Vangaurd though, the biggest problem with it was the horrible character models and they never changed them. 

That challenge in figuring stuff out in MMOs has been lost in these recent MMOs (and I'd argue on this recent generation).

Only if you go read a spoiler site, or watch a youtube video. The depth is still there. Note that some of these spoiler sites and youtube videos are not operating by the devs, so you can' t realy fault them for putting out this info.

And why would you care what other players do? You can always figure things out yourself. No one force you to optimize DPS using other theorycrafter's work. You can always do your own spreadsheet and otpimization.

Only if you go read a spoiler site, or watch a youtube video. The depth is still there. Note that some of these spoiler sites and youtube videos are not operating by the devs, so you can' t realy fault them for putting out this info.

And why would you care what other players do? You can always figure things out yourself. No one force you to optimize DPS using other theorycrafter's work. You can always do your own spreadsheet and otpimization.

100% agree.  I do none of that and play my games blind.  If I really want to go there I turn my map off... but I tend to get lost to often and sheepishlly turn it back on ;P

Having a ball playing WoW for the first time trying to figure out how all these systems work.  I just found out yesterday that you can turn of XP so I dont level so fast.  Its a fun romp (until ArcheAge hits the states - thanks Trion!)

Dont care, but it does take some of the fun out of it when you get to area and playing at natural level and you play against others who are tweaked to the max. 

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

NEVERWINTER...... nuff said.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383
    Well they could return to the true puzzle based games... you know the ones, the one where they send you off to see Sally.  Along the way you see an apple on the ground.  You pick it up.  You inspect it and it says it's a tasty apple, maybe you should eat it?  You eat the apple.  Yum.  You finally find Sally.  She's upset and said she hasn't eaten in days.  Could you please go off and find her something to eat.  You head off and find a basket of bread and take it back to her.  She eats it and thanks you but is still hungry.  You look for more food.  Rinse/repeat.  Eventually it dawns on you that the apple you ate was what she wants and because you ate it, you can never complete the quest nor continue on.  You must now start all over and remember that the apple is for Sally even though it doesn't tell you that it is or suggest that it is anywhere in the quest text.  I always found such games annoying as hell, but for those complaining about quests being pointless and boring... there you go.  Choose wisely and you will move on, choose unwisely and you will have to start all over again.  Of course within minutes of the game going alpha, every quest chain will be immortalized on a wiki page for all to see and follow... turnin the game into another brain dead MMO.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Erm.... Vanguard?

Dont care, but it does take some of the fun out of it when you get to area and playing at natural level and you play against others who are tweaked to the max. 

Unfortunately, the other players have no obligation not to play the way they like just to make u feel better. My take is .. play the way you are having fun, and ignore the others. Just as you describe earlier.

There are people who would play the "iron man" (look it up if you don't know what it is) challenge in WOW, and have a good time. There is the pacifist group who play WOW without kililng anything. So i think whoever find ways to have fun is good.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

As a percentage of the total number of mmorpg's on the market I like very few.  But the ones I do like, I've played for a very long time and consider them to be some of my favorite games.

I tend to like the mmorpg's that focus on one specific aspect of gameplay and do it well.  The jack of all trades games that try to draw everybody don't work for me.

Eve Online

Lineage 2

City of Heroes

FFXI

Atlantica Online

I just started playing Wakfu yesterday.  I like the FF Tactics style battle system.  We'll see how long it holds my interest though.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• kazgerothkazgeroth Member CommonPosts: 5
    Shattered Galaxy however the game is slightly dead but it dont take much people to populate it.  Its a mmorpg/rts 15 vs 15 ppl battles its pretty cool....nothing out there like it. 

This has been a fun thread for a change. I had hoped people would post positive feelings about mmos since so many threads get so negative. It is fun to hear people go back an remember great mmos and games. To bad a few developers don't read this and think about making an mmo that brings back some of the things that made mmo so fun. I believe the right developer could make a great sandbox mmo and it would be a huge success. That audience still is out there looking and hoping. Combine the best from the past with the technology of today and you have a winner. For me I dream of a SWG II I know it will not happen but one can dream. I have hopes for Origins of Malu. I am impressed with what they have done so far but can a small company compete in todays AAA market. I am not sure but I will support this effort at least until I get a chance in the beta to see their creation. MMOs and their fans are here and alive and given the right option will be positive and not bash every game.

One game not mentioned much but was awesome, Acheron's Call. I am glad to see AC2 get another look but I doubt it will do much other then people messing a bit with it. Everyone talks about EQ and WOW but I think we owe a lot to Acheron's Call as a game that laid the ground work for the mmos of today. There seems to be some interesting titles for 2013 however I don't see a AAA sandbox on the way. Let's hope these new games can deliver and get enough audience to grow. As for me I hope for another SWG II that would be a happy day for so many of us here at mmorpg.com. 

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    I like many. WoW, EVE, TSW, AoC, VG. Recent love is Age of Wushu
    Originally posted by mindw0rk
    I like many. WoW, EVE, TSW, AoC, VG. Recent love is Age of Wushu

A few people mentioned Wushu, I may have to check it out.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by spookydom
    I like TSW and EVE. Have liked but no longer play WoW, Fallen Earth, Vanguard and LOTRO  Unexplained soft spot for Star Trek online which baffles even me.

HA!l me too!