Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the single player RPG known as TES Skyrim's game design closer WoW or EvE between the two?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

on the scale

one side being WoW, and the other end being EvE.

Which would you say Elder Scrolls Skyrim game design is closer to out of the two?

WoW<--------------------------------------------------->Eve

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    id personally say neither but put wow just because it has progression questing and is a themepark just kinda open ended. I would compared the skill system to star wars galaxies personally though as its based around what skills you use raise as you use them more. I think darkfall would bea  good comparison as well.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    would have to agree, Skyrim isnt really comparable to either WoW or Eve in any real way, WoW because its a fantasy based game, and Eve because it involves skills, but, thats about it. limiting the choices to just WoW and Eve is a bit too simplistic as neither game really encompasses even the whole of the genres with which they are associated, its a bit like trying to render a 4 dimensional object using 2 dimensional restrictions.image
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Definitely not WoW. Definitely not EVE.

Not really like Darkfall, since that is pure PvP and little PvE. But a better example than the two above.

I think closest would be singleplayer version of SWG (if you get mods), but fantasy and...not star wars...actually there is a lot of star wars mods out for Skyrim...so even that isn't entirely true.

Yeah, definitely more like SWG if you mod it right. You can make your own city, build your own home and only thing a bit different is crafting, but if you get mods that expand it...

I think that is best example. Either darkfall, or SWG (if you mod Skyrim correctly)...either way you want to look at it.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Neither.

Skyrim and all Elder Scrolls games (well Morrowind & Oblivian) are open ended, quest centric games with alot of freedom to do what you want.  They also offer meaningful crafting, housing and wonderful lore to be immersed in.  None of thsoe things are even remotely WoW or Eve like.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

Definitely not WoW. Definitely not EVE.

Not really like Darkfall, since that is pure PvP and little PvE. But a better example than the two above.

I think closest would be singleplayer version of SWG (if you get mods), but fantasy and...not star wars...actually there is a lot of star wars mods out for Skyrim...so even that isn't entirely true.

Yeah, definitely more like SWG if you mod it right. You can make your own city, build your own home and only thing a bit different is crafting, but if you get mods that expand it...

I think that is best example. Either darkfall, or SWG (if you mod Skyrim correctly)...either way you want to look at it.

ya sorry for not being too clear about it i was more implying darkfall and swg skill based system not really the rest but hearthfire does add in the ability at 3 locations to build your own home. The more you use say 1 handed swords or archery you get your skill raised and unlock new abilities etc.

I run my skyrim also like a survival game with hypothermea mods food drink and sleep and real diseases and bleeding combat. Is some really awesome mods out there to make the game have so much replayability. I really love skyrim and new vegas for these things.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Teh, I never played EVE. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Godshelp12Godshelp12 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited August 2015

[Delete]

Post edited by Godshelp12 on
  • Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    If you not in a corp and just mining for profit, then watching paint dry is far more exciting than EVO Online.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

[Lie] What's Skyrim? I have no idea what you are talking about.

^Best answer when I can't make myself choose the other two options.

With that scale. Skyrim has wandered from the open field into a cave, came out the other side, falling down a waterfall, swimming to the dock, and suddenly attacked by a dragon. So you see, there is no way to put it on the scale. >_>

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Skyrim is its own category - its as rare as the last Unicorn.

It really has nothing to do with a Disneypark or Backstabbing in Space mmo.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

It is closer to Fallout New Vegas.

But you are looking at in terms of MMO of course, then I would say gameplay is probably closer UO or Salem, because you can't kill npc vendors on any other mmos (not even Darkfall).

• MeriliremMerilirem Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Neither.

Skyrim and all Elder Scrolls games (well Morrowind & Oblivian) are open ended, quest centric games with alot of freedom to do what you want.  They also offer meaningful crafting, housing and wonderful lore to be immersed in.  None of thsoe things are even remotely WoW or Eve like.

Skyrim is actually alot closer to WoW than it should be. Decisions in both games mean very little and othing really matters in the long run. Do your quests as you please and make simple trinkets that don't actually have any bearing on the world and confuse the hell out of people who remember morrowind. Just saying its alot closer to WoW than it looks since alot of the game is shallow.

If a butterfly learnt to speak, to live in human society, paid its bills, had a job, lived in a fancy house and married a human, is it human?

Now what if that same butterfly knew how to write code better than any human and had years of experience in the game industry, would that make it a game designer?

If u wouldn't let a construction worker design your house, then why let a programmer design your world?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Skills: not much like either

Content: More so WOW than EVE.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Neither.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

The important part is the combat and progression .. and TES combat mechanics and progression are very different from WOW or Eve.

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302
    Neither.  You really have to stretch come up with anything for this one.  Maybe if you were more specific about certain elements or something?
  • FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

on the scale

one side being WoW, and the other end being EvE.

Which would you say Elder Scrolls Skyrim game design is closer to out of the two?

WoW<--------------------------------------------------->Eve

WoW and EVE are poor examples of games to compare Skyrim to. Actually, I can't really think of what game Skyrim would be closest to (aside from its own predecessors). The Elder Scrolls games have always been unique in terms of visuals and gameplay, whereas other games have been easily cloned in more ways than one. 

The Elder Scrolls Online, however, is looking to be more like WoW than EVE based on videos and gameplay interviews (or lack of, I should say). But if I get into beta, I'll let you know if my assumption is correct.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well neither its in the middle.

If you imagine that npcs are other players, then I guess AC darktide would be the closest, followed by DAOC mordred.