Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: MMO players versus TES fans

sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

I don't think there is a major different between the two groups - many MMO players are TES fans.

After the poll feel free to answer some of the following questions or post your own comments;

1. Do you think the developers changed the game to satisfy what they think "MMO players' want?
  2. What do you think MMO players want versus what TES fans want?
  3. What is more important;  designing a MMO or making an Elder Scroll game?
  4. Are you happy to see an Elder Scroll MMO?
  5. If you compared your favorite TES game to your favorite MMO, which do you think is the better game overall?

Comments

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    I'll hold judgment until i see the game for myself, hating on it now makes little sense.
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Considering you are asking this question on MMORPG.com, I don't think you are going to get very many (if any) TES player only responses to your poll.
  • sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by MyTabbycat
    Considering you are asking this question on MMORPG.com, I don't think you are going to get very many (if any) TES player only responses to your poll.

Perhaps.  I suspect that many TES only fans play on the console but I could be wrong.  Nonetheless I'm just wanting to get a general guesstamation of people on this site.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    nm misread.. i'm a fan of both ES scrolls games and MMOs:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Istavaan
    I'll hold judgment until i see the game for myself, hating on it now makes little sense.

My only judgement so far is locking races to factions and blocking off areas.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    I think their trying to please both crowds. I'm more inclined to think they will be putting in more themepark MMO elements into the game. There's quite a few Skyrim mechanics that just wouldn't work in an MMO. Killing the majority of NPC's in towns for example. Also enemy NPC spawn rates need to drastically increase, unless the game is heavily instanced.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by sapphen
    1. Do you think the developers changed the game to satisfy what they think "MMO players' want?
    5. If you compared TES games to other MMOs, do you think they fair better or worse?

1. No, I think they just plain made DaoC 2 with the TES name and skins.

2. Most TES fans want TES as an MMO, MMO fans want many things mostly based on what they liked in MMOs of the past...and more often than not its not what TES was. If you want a CLEARER view of what TES fans want you need to go to TES websites, The Nexus forums are FILLED with people posting how they are not touching the game now that they have stated the game is split into factions you will be FORCED to chose and stick with, the factions are split into their own areas, PvP will be restricited to "parts" of the game...worse yet, you fight to control the capital and the controlling side can pick an emporer which is going to make the game a massive epeen war.

3.  If a company announced a Sonic the Hedgehog MMORPG and it was nothing more than Sonic skins in World of Warcraft...what would you say as a Sonic fan about it being nothing at all like the game you love?

4. Not this MMO. Forced factions, not open world = TES in name only. Make an open world freeform TES MMO and I will lick your boots...this thing, no, I will call it what it is, a bastardization of the TES name.

5. Compared in what way? Oblvion was release in 2005, just the Nexus Oblivion site alone is visited by over 100,000 people each day with new mods still being made for it, and popular...how many MMORPGs made in 2005 are still being played by 100k+ people? If you meant, would other MMOs have made a better TES game, then YES. just about every sandbox MMO would have made a better TES game.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by immodium
    I think their trying to please both crowds. I'm more inclined to think they will be putting in more themepark MMO elements into the game. There's quite a few Skyrim mechanics that just wouldn't work in an MMO. Killing the majority of NPC's in towns for example. Also enemy NPC spawn rates need to drastically increase, unless the game is heavily instanced.

I consider myself both a MMO player and TES fan.  When mixing the two I would rather have more TES than MMO - but I completely agree with you.  Some of the things from TES wouldn't be practical in a MMO.

I do not think taking away our freedom to choose a faction should be one of them.  I also feel that limiting the area players can explore is a bad move when the landscape is there.

Originally posted by jtcgs

5. Compared in what way? Oblvion was release in 2005, just the Nexus Oblivion site alone is visited by over 100,000 people each day with new mods still being made for it, and popular...how many MMORPGs made in 2005 are still being played by 100k+ people? If you meant, would other MMOs have made a better TES game, then YES. just about every sandbox MMO would have made a better TES game.

I love your answer.  I've been trying to tone down my passion but I feel they have made a horrible mistake.

Question number 5 is actually pretty funny.  They could've just made a multiplayer game of Skyrim and beat out most MMOs.  I think it was a serious misjudgement to think that TES needed MMO elements (ala DAoC).  TES has been redefining the RPG genre for years.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    1. What is more important;  designing a MMO or making an Elder Scroll game?
    epeen war.

3.  If a company announced a Sonic the Hedgehog MMORPG and it was nothing more than Sonic skins in World of Warcraft...what would you say as a Sonic fan about it being nothing at all like the game you love?

I've always found this thinking starnge. It's like fans of Mario calling Mario Kart not a Mario game as it's not a platformer.

The game mechanics do not define if a game is a Mario or a Elder Scrolls game. Bethesda could release an Elder Scrolls RTS, It would still be an Elder Scrolls game.

The most important thing is if the game is fun.

epeen war.

I've always found this thinking starnge. It's like fans of Mario calling Mario Kart not a Mario game as it's not a platformer.

The game mechanics do not define if a game is a Mario or a Elder Scrolls game. Bethesda could release an Elder Scrolls RTS, It would still be an Elder Scrolls game.

Out of all the arguments I've heard for ESO, this one is the most rational.  While I do agree to some degree, I think that MMORPG and SP-RPG are really close genres.  I understand not having all the freedoms of a TES game but some of them are very important.  Another problem is I feel that many TES systems would translate well in a MMO yet instead of creatively trying to do this, they borrowed systems from other MMOs.  In doing this they removed the fun things I enjoyed about TES.

With that said, a RTS Elder Scrolls game would be awesome!  Although I'm not sure how a TES kart racing game would fair.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'm far more of a TES fan than an MMO fan

The MMO genre lost me with quest hub hopping, long arc personal storylines controlled by the game (not by me), removing the value of overlands replacing them with instances, reducing leveling to being a tutorial, and taking out detail from the games to make the games more convenient.

What I find in TES is freedom and an interesting world to interact with as I see fit.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

If a company made a Sonic the Hedgehog kart racing game and it was nothing more than Sonic skins in Mario Kart... what would you say as a Sonic fan about it being nothing at all like the game you love?

See what I did there? What part of "spin-off " don't you understand?

Originally posted by Sideras

If a company made a Sonic the Hedgehog kart racing game and it was nothing more than Sonic skins in Mario Kart... what would you say as a Sonic fan about it being nothing at all like the game you love?

See what I did there? What part of "spin-off " don't you understand?

Yeah but when they made the first mario game in 3d it was very similar to the side scrollers was it not?  MMO and RPG are very similar genres, many of the systems of TES would translate to a MMO (granted not all of them).

This would be different if they was making a TES game from a totally different genre.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Voted both.

Problem is, they seem to be making it the old boring themepark sort of MMO which I have grown bored of. And they are straying away from the TES game I love.

Not given up hope but I need proof they haven't screwed the pooch on both fronts.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I don't think there is a major different between the two groups - many MMO players are TES fans.

After the poll feel free to answer some of the following questions or post your own comments;

5. If you compared TES games to other MMOs, do you think they fair better or worse?

You will probably not find any votes for TES fan only here since afterall this used to be a mmo site. :) You will find some over at the temp official forums though.

I really only have played mmo and mutiplayer games since the mid 90's. EQ sealed the deal on rpg's for me and only have been able to play mmorpg's ever since. Single player rpg's tend to be extremely boring and I can never get into them because they are so lonely and only filled with mindless NPC's.

1. I think they know that mmo players are the ones that will most likely stay with the game for a longer period of time if they can make a good game that will hold them. Single players will most likely leave after they figure out that alot of the stuff after the personal story is group oriented.

2. MMO players want to not hit the wall when they hit max level. Lateral progression is a good way to extend this, but they will also have to keep adding new content. With new content they can add to the progression both vertical and lateral. Also engaging PvP that matters, yes GW2 has WvW for fun but it only is fun for so long, for me that fun ran out after 3 months. Adding in the Perks for PvP will add to progression, but again they need to add to that so it doesnt get stale.

I'am not sure how to answer what TES fans want, I guess lore and stories. This will always end so its not really great for an MMO. They seem to want Skyrim COOP which would be absolute crap.

3. Designing an mmo or making an elder scrolls game? not sure what kind of answer your looking for with this question. So I will say a MMO since this game is one.

4. Yes. I'am sick of the emo and anime asian style art games that have flooded the genre and good to see a western art style coming in.

5. I don't know, I found tes games to be boring with crappy combat. Other mmo's have been boring with crappy combat so I guess this one will have to wait until I get my hands on it.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Do you think the developers changed the game to satisfy what they think "MMO players' want?
    Yes.

What do you think MMO players want versus what TES fans want?
    I think the 'stereotypical mmo' players (the masses) want a balanced, casual game which allows them to showcase there achievements in comparison to others.(my gear is shiny)

Tes Players want a TeS game with massively multi player functionality. Which imo is what they should of done in the first place. Not all systems would work in an mmorpg format, But i think the majority would have And with a little critical thinking on the devs part they could of engineered something much better.

What is more important;  designing a MMO or making an Elder Scroll game?
    I dont think those are mutually exclusive. You could have a Massively Multiplayer Tes Game in the 'true sense' (maybe a better definition: a purists tes mmorpg?)

Are you happy to see an Elder Scroll MMO?
    Hell Yes!, Just very skeptical about this one! (that doesn't mean im not interested)

If you compared TES games to other MMOs, do you think they fair better or worse?
    That question does not make sense.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

epeen war.

I've always found this thinking STRANGE. people giving examples thinking they are refuting when all they actually did was PROVE MY POINT.

Mario and Mario Kart are NOT the same, they used Mario because without Mario...the game would be FAIL, they needed the popularity of another IP to sell the thing they were making because it wouldnt stand on its own. It was a piss poor example, using Mario, a side scroller and Mario Kart, a racing game as an example when talking about an RPG and an ONLINE RPG, two things that are basically the same.

And yes, game mechanice DO define a game. Every single MAJOR IP can be identified by its game mechanics.

Now ask me if I would be doing this if they were instead making a TES kart game...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• hraethhraeth Member UncommonPosts: 34

It's easy to say that any game with the TES name is a TES game.  It's also literally true.  That being said one of the big reasons to use a pre existing IP to create something new is to bring people who are fans of that pre existing IP to the table.

I loved diablo and diablo 2 (we'll just skip over diablo 3 to avoid drama) but if Blizzard decided to release a Diablo word find you would be unlikely to find that a large segment of the fans of the franchise suddenly had a burning need to do word finds.  TESO is in real danger of alienating the fan base for the other TES games.  As a marketing ploy it seems like a bad idea to throw away a huge number of fanbois that would happily stand in line to trade a kidney for your game if you'd just keep the open world and loose the race restrictions.  Diversification is good, but is this diversification or di-worse-ification?

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    They want to force a story on us. My ideal TES character would be a simple hunter that keeps food on the table and occasionally adventures. Hell i play Skyrim without releasing the dragons just so i can do that. Unfortunately there is a very good chance i wont be given the opportunity to do that since the game isnt a sandbox. Ill still beta test it since im good at that.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

have played TES games virtually since the beginning, but TESO is not TES, despite the name the elder scrolls online is not really in the spirit of TES, nor in the style, it doesnt even come close to being a game in the spirit of the elder scrolls, and while i've played them all from daggerfall to morrowind oblivion and lastly skyrim, and each has brought something slightly different to the genre, this is not the case with TESO, the only similarity is in some of the naming conventions, and it ends there. After watching the trailer for TESO, about all i could think of, is that it could be a trailer for any game, it would have made more sense as a trailer for lord of the rings than that of the elder scrolls, from art style to game play concepts, it is not, elder scrolls.

will i play the beta - no

will i play the game when it releases - given what have seen and read about the game so far, not a chance in hell. 

Why? - because as a long time fan of the elder scrolls, this game is an insult.image

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    TES is what you play when you're fed up with your current MMO and wish that your current MMO was as awesome as TES.  You just wish it could be massively online.  Perhaps we'll get our chance soon.
    Originally posted by Swiftrevoir
    TES is what you play when you're fed up with your current MMO and wish that your current MMO was as awesome as TES.  You just wish it could be massively online.  Perhaps we'll get our chance soon.

TES is what you will play when you're fed up with TESO because you realized you are not playing TES, just DaoC 2 in a TES skin...then you can go back to wishing someone made a TES MMORPG.

Now if only the company hired some of the people that made SWG instead of DaoC...then at least there would be a game being made that is at least a LITTLE more TES like...

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    epeen war.

I think the difference with games like Mario is that from a very early stages we've been exposed to various spin-off of the Mario serie. Super Mario Bros, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, etc. It's sort of an accepted reality of the Nintendo games who've always been playing with various characters and making spin-off games along the lines (Yoshi's Story for example).

However, what if Nintendo were to take Legend of Zelda and turn it into a Racing game. I think you'd have a very negative response from the fanbase simply because those are universes that don't exactly mix together. They've built a very strong IP (Legend of Zelda) based around a set of core features and mechanics that have not changed since the very first game (ignoring the games that were not made by Nintendo). Players would much rather have a new Zelda game that continues to improve on its core system rather than trash everything to make something entirely different.

And this is what TESO is in a nutshell. The TES games have always been about freedom. The freedom to go where you want, be who you want, do what you want. Taking Skyrim as the most recent example, if I roll an Alfar, I'm not forced to join either factions (Empire vs. Stormcloaks), I can join the faction I want, or I can simply ignore it. The same goes for the skills we choose. You didn't have to select a class, you could pick whatever skills you wanted to focus on, yet you could still use the other skills as well.

TESO forces you into a faction. Forces you to select a class. Forces you to be more or less part of the war. Unless I missed the update, TESO does not have Housing either.

It's a TES game in name only. You could replace the TESO name by whatever other name you can think of and players would not even make the relation between that game and the TES games.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Swiftrevoir

TES is what you will play when you're fed up with TESO because you realized you are not playing TES, just DaoC 2 in a TES skin...then you can go back to wishing someone made a TES MMORPG.

Now if only the company hired some of the people that made SWG instead of DaoC...then at least there would be a game being made that is at least a LITTLE more TES like...

That would be a bad thing, we all know how SWG turned out, it died. DAoC is still going even though it is not like it was, but atleast it survived.