Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: The Ups and Downs of Investigation

13»

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Ortwig

That's Digging Deeper.  I know what you are talking about, but basically if you got the sequence wrong and died, you needed to restart from the beginning.  The "correct step" indicator was the light showing up.  Everything about that mission worked correctly -- not bugged.

Everything worked correctly?  Please.

The first three lit up each time, and I entered the same emote for the fourth statue three attempts in a row.  Two failures (bug) and one success, for the same things done.

I mean just because you didn't experience a bug in a particular mission at the particular time you tried it, does not mean nobody else did ever, right?

Edit: Even Rayshe admits there are bugs with it at one point, though making things up with no basis is Rayshe's forte, so take that with a large lump of salt I suppose.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Nope i got a completely different bug though. the enterence collapsed and i was trapped in the underground overnight. i had to eat the rats in order to survive.... not my brightest shining moment as a Templar.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

That's Digging Deeper.  I know what you are talking about, but basically if you got the sequence wrong and died, you needed to restart from the beginning.  The "correct step" indicator was the light showing up.  Everything about that mission worked correctly -- not bugged.

The first three lit up each time, and I entered the same emote for the fourth statue three attempts in a row.  Two failures (bug) and one success, for the same things done.

I mean just because you didn't experience a bug in a particular mission at the particular time you tried it, does not mean nobody else did ever, right?

Edit: Even Rayshe admits there are bugs with it at one point, though making things up with no basis is Rayshe's forte, so take that with a large lump of salt I suppose.

The last statue was tricky, but if you read the text right, you knew what you had to do.  It wasn't bugged, but if you didn't interepret that clue well, it was very easy to die on the last statue. 

Originally posted by Rayshe

Yup 'n' im'a ignore it. Please take a second and realize where you are and what you are doing. Your attacking someone on a Forum (mmorpg.com forums at that) for stating a opinion. feel dumb yet?

Actually, I'm not attacking  you.  I'm attempting to help you.

You see, fabricating statistics to prove a point actually has more of the opposite effect.

Instead of pulling numbers out of a hat, you could have said "I feel that the number of bugs in missions has gone down quite a bit since launch, and I feel as though I encounter far fewer missions with bugs today than I did at the beginning."

That would have been a perfectly fine thing to say.  It would be an opinion, rather than made up facts - or a lie, if you will.

This kind of knowledge can actually help you in the real world, and I'm giving it to you here for free.  You should be thankful for my generosity.

The last statue was tricky, but if you read the text right, you knew what you had to do.  It wasn't bugged, but if you didn't interepret that clue well, it was very easy to die on the last statue. 

It seems you have trouble reading.

I entered the exact same emote to that final statue three times.

One of the three it worked.

It was bugged.

Yup 'n' im'a ignore it. Please take a second and realize where you are and what you are doing. Your attacking someone on a Forum (mmorpg.com forums at that) for stating a opinion. feel dumb yet?

You see, fabricating statistics to prove a point actually has more of the opposite effect.

Instead of pulling numbers out of a hat, you could have said "I feel that the number of bugs in missions has gone down quite a bit since launch, and I feel as though I encounter far fewer missions with bugs today than I did at the beginning."

That would have been a perfectly fine thing to say.  It would be an opinion, rather than made up facts - or a lie, if you will.

This kind of knowledge can actually help you in the real world, and I'm giving it to you here for free.  You should be thankful for my generosity.

Nah cause if i took your advice i would have to start careing about what people say on the internet.  And that is SO not me, I could go dredge up some patch notes that show everything however that would push well beyond the extent of a argument over a bug. So can we move on or shall the thread be derailed more. I think we were aiming and florida and ended up in Maine.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

It was bugged.

EDIT (to remove spoilers): What was your character positioning?  Not bugged.

Nah cause if i took your advice i would have to start careing about what people say on the internet.  And that is SO not me, I could go dredge up some patch notes that show everything however that would push well beyond the extent of a argument over a bug. So can we move on or shall the thread be derailed more. I think we were aiming and florida and ended up in Maine.

I'm sorry you feel that accurately communicating your thoughts without fabrications and lies only applies to internet forums.

It was bugged.

How close were you to the statue? -- kind of hard to do that emote when you are looking directly at it.  Not bugged.

You honestly refuse to believe that the game has bugs?

I mean there are games and other things I enjoy, but I do not claim them to be absolutely flawless.

I have no idea how you can say that what I experienced and tested at a time when you were not present is impossible to be a bug.  Well, I do have an idea, but I'm trying not to resort to petty name calling here.  I just think you should accept that with a program with a large amount of code, bugs can and do happen.  Even if they are games you enjoy.

I'm sorry you feel that accurately communicating your thoughts without fabrications and lies only applies to internet forums.

Nope derailment continues. If we keep pushing this we are gonna end up in Toronto.

I guess the best way to put it is i assume that people reading what write don't automatically assume im speaking in fact. Hell people do it for Xfire numbers, a post without and real Evidence or Citation/Linking to said facts to prove they are true Generally shouldn't actually be taken seriously. If that is my mistake for assumeing the intellegence of others then i will apologise for that.

wait im on MMORPG.com.... Right yeah, my mistake.

And now so that i dont Double post, Hes not saying that the game doesnt have bugs, hes saying that Digging Deeper doesnt have a bug like that. That being said Depending on what server you were on it could possibly be one. People have to remember that TSW is very unique in how its designed. Bugs usually only sit on a single server. Exploits are game wide though. 

Can we settle with that.

Because i can.

Nope derailment continues. If we keep pushing this we are gonna end up in Toronto.

I guess the best way to put it is i assume that people reading what write don't automatically assume im speaking in fact. Hell people do it for Xfire numbers, a post without and real Evidence or Citation/Linking to said facts to prove they are true Generally shouldn't actually be taken seriously. If that is my mistake for assumeing the intellegence of others then i will apologise for that.

wait im on MMORPG.com.... Right yeah, my mistake.

So you think intelligent people should assume the things you say are falsified.

Ok.

I did try and help you state your opinion without resorting to fabricating statistics, remember.  You don't have to do it, no need to give in to peer pressure ;)

Try it sometime, using your thoughts and reasoning to speak your mind, rather than making things up in hopes nobody calls you on it :)

It was bugged.

How close were you to the statue? -- kind of hard to do that emote when you are looking directly at it.  Not bugged.

You honestly refuse to believe that the game has bugs?

I mean there are games and other things I enjoy, but I do not claim them to be absolutely flawless.

I have no idea how you can say that what I experienced and tested at a time when you were not present is impossible to be a bug.  Well, I do have an idea, but I'm trying not to resort to petty name calling here.  I just think you should accept that with a program with a large amount of code, bugs can and do happen.  Even if they are games you enjoy.

Once again, you hop from a specific bug to a sweeping generalization.  I also tend to think you are one of those gamers who, when stumped, immediately kneejerk to "bug!!"  Digging Deeper isn't one of the bugs -- that last step is intentionally tricky, and there are multiple components to the final clue -- I figured this out without looking up any spoiler sites or bug listings on the forums.  

There are certainly bugs (all games have them), and yes, I can name specific ones.  But you, my friend, have a tendency to paint in large swaths of black and white, and intentionally or unintentionally -- sweep the baby out with the bathwater.  When you say there billions of bugs, but can't list any of them specifically, well, your credibility is at risk.  As far as I am concerned, the game is doing enough great things to overlook an occasional minor bug.  And I'll tell you about a bunch of bugs with the Wendigo in Kingsmouth, or some of the mummies in Scorched Desert, but Digging Deeper isn't one of them.

EDIT: removing spoilerish stuff

You should also add the point where im saying your probubly both right because the game has a weird hickup in how the bugs function in the game.

If this were a debate in the TSW side of the forums i'd say go at it so we get activity however we dont. 

Ill restate the point just in case though.

TSW servers are weird and bugs don't appear on every server. Arcadia "feels" smooth up to Trans from what i remember where as Cerb had a hickup or 2 that i experianced in kingsmouth. Thus the bug you experianced may have been a issue your server suffered for afew hours to days. That being said i never felt it because of how the servers work.

So in short your both probubly right, and we should leave it there.

Because i can.

You should also add the point where im saying your probubly both right because the game has a weird hickup in how the bugs function in the game.

If this were a debate in the TSW side of the forums i'd say go at it so we get activity however we dont. 

TSW servers are weird and bugs don't appear on every server. Arcadia "feels" smooth up to Trans from what i remember where as Cerb had a hickup or 2 that i experianced in kingsmouth. Thus the bug you experianced may have been a issue your server suffered for afew hours to days. That being said i never felt it because of how the servers work.

That cross-dimension bug is known -- the Wendigo who is unhittable until someone calls you to group across servers has been there for awhile.  And yes, it is annoying.  

But going from "there are bugs" to "the game has billions of game-breaking bugs" is a pretty huge leap.  I'm fine with the first statement.

That cross-dimension bug is known -- the Wendigo who is unhittable until someone calls you to group across servers has been there for awhile.  And yes, it is annoying.  

But going from "there are bugs" to "the game has billions of game-breaking bugs" is a pretty huge leap.  I'm fine with the first statement.

Oh ill agree there. the game isn't nearly as bad as it launch, and its launch wasnt nearly as bad as AoC's. However every side has its own Bias, if he wishes to claim to his saying "the game has billions of game breaking bugs" let im, it will only make him look like a idiot when the chips fall.

Because i can.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Any perceived bugs in the game are not accidental.

Thanks to the other two factions for documenting investigation information so that we may more easily accomplish our goals.  We keep you around because you're useful, for the moment.

Order Through Chaos

If your just getting to Digging Deeper now, then the Dragon is in no way shape or form a threat to the templars lol.

Because i can.

Oh ill agree there. the game isn't nearly as bad as it launch, and its launch wasnt nearly as bad as AoC's. However every side has its own Bias, if he wishes to claim to his saying "the game has billions of game breaking bugs" let im, it will only make him look like a idiot when the chips fall.

Sigh, yeah -- and after all that  sidetrack, I'm in agreement about doing some better things with the browser search, and throwing in more in-game resources.  Still, I DO like the use of the browser in missions -- I just wish there were some better spoiler filters.  Having played lots of puzzle games growing up, I'll go out of my way to avoid them, but most MMO players aren't used to it, so not sure what the best way is to go.  I'd prefer a filtered search by default, then a full internet search that is selectable.  I also like the fact that I actually do have the entire internet as a resource to some of these things -- loved looking up Egyptian glyphs and deciphering.  Great fun.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Any perceived bugs in the game are not accidental.

Thanks to the other two factions for documenting investigation information so that we may more easily accomplish our goals.  We keep you around because you're useful, for the moment.

Order Through Chaos

Hope that wasn't too spoilerish, but you are right -- I would say the more bugged you think it is, the further you are from solving it.  And those who are last will be first.  :)

EDIT: removed the more spoilerish stuff from the posts.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

I like the investigation missions which makes you look things up in google. I always try to find the solutions on my own and find it part of the fun.

The usual quests of killing XX number of monsters or being told where to go next by a huge ! on the map is getting boring. I am glad Funcom has tried something new pitty it hasn't worked out right for them as TSW is a brilliant game which everyone should give it a try at least the once. You never know you may like it.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Do not like them, but nobody is forced to do them. And this is good. When i was doing them for rewards I was just googling them. :-)) Only thing that prevent me to leave and was main reason to leave before 30 free days is that silly 7 buttons limitation. Never liked button mashing games. Ok, no problem for consoles.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I also love the investigation missions, they resemble to TLJ or other adventure games. It'd be great if more mmo's would implement similar parts in the game.

Funcom has a few in AoC as well, but those are more just mocking the "! mark, accept, follow the minimap"-style gamers, than real investigation quests :) (like the 3 criminals in OT square, which can be solved by simply pushing the 1 because of the afforementioned playerbase...)

Btw, Digging deeper's poison cloud can be easily outhealed... just saying :) damn letters on the ground, my google-fu was weak on that one, couldn't found on the web the correct edition with the actual word, so I had to breathe poison a lot... The statues were easy, especially with LotRO background :) (spoiler: LotRO has lots of quests with emote usage)

• mactographymactography Member Posts: 16
    Its icon is yellow not green