Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Race/Faction Seperation will ruin the game for me...

Comments

• Originally posted by Istavaan
    Originally posted by AdamChattaway
    Originally posted by FelixMajor

I was so looking forward to an Elder scrolls mmo since i played morowind, i always hopped for a coop/mmo of tes, but after seeing that the races are split up seriously depressed me.

Actually, if you watched the last conversation MMORPG had with Paul Sage, and he was asked if the races being sided to certain factions would mean that those races could not be part of those factions, Paul put an evil grin on his face and said he could not answer that at this time.

[mod edit]

[mod edit] we ARE split up, WE are in our own zones. they SAID we must play 3 chars to see all the game zones, as each char can only see 33% ish of each factions zones.

where did they say all faction zones are locked, if i recall they said the earlier zones are locked and it opens up as you progress through the game. whats to say there aren't any border zones that are neutral?

" you must create 3 chars to see all 3 areas of each factions zones " this general im my mind means you must have 3 chars to see all 3 zones... there is a pvp zone in the middle for pvp thats why we cant go to other peoples areas.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by Leucent
    Hello, yes 3 races per faction, they are split up and quest in their own areas. Go to their main website and watch the introduction video and view a map of TESO on google, you will see the seperation, the only place we will all meet is in the middle for pvp.

And?

that was a reply to someones questiong... fuck sakes lol failed torll.

What else can I say, lol, hyper kid, cut out the sugar.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

The faction system is great and I've been hoping for a game with 3 factions that are all different, different lands, different races etc. It goes a long way towards building that faction pride wich will make the RvR that much better.

This is not The Elder Scrolls, it's more of a spin-off. Personally I love what they are doing I just hope everything works out in the end. And they aren't ruining anything the game is set 1000 years before the events of Skyrim and they aren't chaning anything in the Bethesda games.

So basically win/win for everyone. I absolutely hated the idea of multiplayer in TES but this is a seperate franschie, TES will thankfully remain a singleplayer game. Bottom line stop thinking of this as a TES game and think of it as an MMO pure and simple.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by sapphen
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Either of you think that the game may just not be for you? And that it does not preclude it being great for others?

Hell I wish the developers asked themselves this question before they decided to convert an outstanding IP to their vision of DAoC2.

They are not converting anything, it's a damned spin-off. I'm sure they played with the idea of having an MMO exactly like the singleplayer games and I'm sure they found out it would be a mess. Now you play with that idea and see how it will hold up.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Sideras
    Either of you think that the game may just not be for you? And that it does not preclude it being great for others?

Hell I wish the developers asked themselves this question before they decided to convert an outstanding IP to their vision of DAoC2.

They are not converting anything, it's a damned spin-off. I'm sure they played with the idea of having an MMO exactly like the singleplayer games and I'm sure they found out it would be a mess. Now you play with that idea and see how it will hold up.

You're a fool to think that a group of AAA designers could not figure out how to make ESO more like a TES game.  They had DAoC on the brain and wanted to replicate a faction system similar to it.  The war did not have to be racial.  I seen this post in another thread and would like to share it;

Daggerfall Convent
    Lead by a Breton Merchant Lord. He is supported by other Bretons and hired an army of Redguards. The Redguards have also taken Orc slaves and commonly uses them to fight or work as blacksmiths.

Ebonheart Pact
    Lead by a nord High King. He is allied with a group of dark elves (the King has a Dunmer counciler at his side) but his kingdom is in fragments. A group of Argonians split apart from the rest of them people seeking freedom joins the king with hopes to gain his favor.

Aldmeri Dominion
    Lead by a High Elf Queen who formed an alliance with a group of Wood Elves. Many Khajiit also serve the queen for her help in restoring order but there is still a large number of Khajiit who resist her rule and only fight for themselves.  Many Aldmeri resent the Queen for aligning with the Bosmer and still wage war against their wood elf kin.

In the above revisions the same races make up most of the faction but it does not limit them.  In this era it was rare that entire races got along with themselves, must less 2 other factions.  Lorewise the race restricted factions doesn't even make sense.

If you approach every idea you hear as impossible or not working then you lack important problem solving skills.  Next time you have a concern take the snarky out and we can be more civil.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

TES games have always had factions/guilds you could join. You were not simply a member when you started to play the game, you had to work at it. I have no idea why they cgose to race lock the factions and predetermine your alliegence without choice.

I mean, it would have made a hell of a lot more sense to have the alliances have recruitment drives and a questline to join a faction. In fact, if there was imbalance it could have been the perfect vehicle for making the balancing act part of the game. An alliance low on numbers could offer rewards for joining up where those already with lots of members would just carry on as normal.

It would also have freed up all regions for all characters at the start. It would have ment they could have spread the quests around rather then have 3 seperate questing locations effectivly reducing the number of quests any 1 character could do by 1/3. It would mean any race could join any faction and so you wouldn't automatically know that Orc over there was an enemy, you would have to play smart, use intelligence gathering to spy enemy camps, track movements and all sorts of logistical stuff to assist in the war effort.

I just really struggle to get why they went this way and I can still only think that, because of who is designing it they sort of had a block on cinsidering any alternative way and certainly not thinking "this is a TES game, how would it have been done in a TES game...Skyrim did it. You start the game, learn about the war, choose a side (Or not) and then fight for your chosen faction.

While I do respect the work done by these guys in the past it just seems to be lazy in the extreme and lacking any sort of imaginative and constructive idea how to merge the established gameplay of the TES games so far with what they wanted to achieve.

I feel like a parrot repeating it over and over but there really is no reason to race lock factions. There are actually more lore fillting, easier solutions. These solutions would also add more depth and to be honest, would have made the design process easier...if only someone had sat down and said "OK DAOC is a good template but lets find  a way to make the desired goal without losing sight of the fact this is a TES game".

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Originally posted by FelixMajor

I was so looking forward to an Elder scrolls mmo since i played morowind, i always hopped for a coop/mmo of tes, but after seeing that the races are split up seriously depressed me.

Actually, if you watched the last conversation MMORPG had with Paul Sage, and he was asked if the races being sided to certain factions would mean that those races could not be part of those factions, Paul put an evil grin on his face and said he could not answer that at this time.

[mod edit]

[mod edit] we ARE split up, WE are in our own zones. they SAID we must play 3 chars to see all the game zones, as each char can only see 33% ish of each factions zones.

where did they say all faction zones are locked, if i recall they said the earlier zones are locked and it opens up as you progress through the game. whats to say there aren't any border zones that are neutral?

" you must create 3 chars to see all 3 areas of each factions zones " this general im my mind means you must have 3 chars to see all 3 zones... there is a pvp zone in the middle for pvp thats why we cant go to other peoples areas.

And how is that a bad thing?

Originally posted by Fearum

Sounds counter-productive to me.  They say they want to encourage faction pride yet force us to create alts in other factions in order to see the entire world.

Second... it's always a 'bad thing' to limit players in unnecessary ways.
    Originally posted by Sideras

You're a fool to think that a group of AAA designers could not figure out how to make ESO more like a TES game.  They had DAoC on the brain and wanted to replicate a faction system similar to it.  The war did not have to be racial.  I seen this post in another thread and would like to share it;

Daggerfall Convent
    Lead by a Breton Merchant Lord. He is supported by other Bretons and hired an army of Redguards. The Redguards have also taken Orc slaves and commonly uses them to fight or work as blacksmiths.

Ebonheart Pact
    Lead by a nord High King. He is allied with a group of dark elves (the King has a Dunmer counciler at his side) but his kingdom is in fragments. A group of Argonians split apart from the rest of them people seeking freedom joins the king with hopes to gain his favor.

Aldmeri Dominion
    Lead by a High Elf Queen who formed an alliance with a group of Wood Elves. Many Khajiit also serve the queen for her help in restoring order but there is still a large number of Khajiit who resist her rule and only fight for themselves.  Many Aldmeri resent the Queen for aligning with the Bosmer and still wage war against their wood elf kin.

In the above revisions the same races make up most of the faction but it does not limit them.  In this era it was rare that entire races got along with themselves, must less 2 other factions.  Lorewise the race restricted factions doesn't even make sense.

If you approach every idea you hear as impossible or not working then you lack important problem solving skills.  Next time you have a concern take the snarky out and we can be more civil.

You will have better luck recruiting people for you faction lock haters club back over at the temp bethesda forums. Most people here understand that it adds to the game and replayablity.

You will have better luck recruiting people for you faction lock haters club back over at the temp bethesda forums. Most people here understand that it adds to the game and replayablity.

You defination of replayability is completely illogical.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    seriously some of you guys are getting way too immature here when trying to have a debate on factions.  You need to step away from the keyboard or something because calling people names because they do not enjoy your view doesnt mean they are wrong or right. Its Bethesda game let them do it the way they want to do it or wait until they have a forum up they actually read and respond to and make a topic over there. Debating aside do you think making some mmorpg whine thread is going to get anything changed? I could care less about factions myself be it racial or covenants as long as they produce a quality game in the end. Also just because skyrim and morrowind allowed races to get along in the world means nothing , there is books in skyrim and dialog that shows plenty of racial divides so its not that hard for them to throw it back 1000 years and create lore for it.

No, its actually using logic to see that 3 character with 3 seperate stories in 3 different lands is more than 1.

Sounds counter-productive to me.  They say they want to encourage faction pride yet force us to create alts in other factions in order to see the entire world.

Second... it's always a 'bad thing' to limit players in unnecessary ways.

If you think its a limitation thats your fault, your only limiting yourself if you intend to only play one character.

No, its pretty logical.

It doesn't matter if the areas are faction locked or not, there is still 3 seperate ways to level up.  It does not create nor take away replayability.
  • lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I myself love that the factions are seperated. It make enemies more mythical like when I played DAOC back in the days. It also hopefully creates more realmpride which is a huge factor in a pvp-game when they want something besides instanced pvp to be fun.

No, its pretty logical.

It doesn't matter if the areas are faction locked or not, there is still 3 seperate ways to level up.  It does not create nor take away replayability.

Ok, so you just want open world PvP? I would love that also.

If you think its a limitation thats your fault, your only limiting yourself if you intend to only play one character.

Do you understand the word "limit"?

I am a man, I can go anywhere.

I am a man, I can't go to the ladies restroom... I would have to be a female to go there.

Doesn't make a different if I put on a dress and wig to sneak in the restroom, I still limited rather than being able to go anywhere.

Do you understand the word "limit"?

I am a man, I can go anywhere.

I am a man, I can't go to the ladies restroom... I would have to be a female to go there.

Doesn't make a different if I put on a dress and wig to sneak in the restroom, I still limited rather than being able to go anywhere.

Yeah but you can still dress like a lady and sneak in there. I hear that they are not as clean as the mens room, go figure.

So you want open world PvP? I'll take that. But its not how they are designing it so calm down.

Did I say anything about world PvP?  I'm talking about how you think it adds replayability when it doesn't.

So you want open world PvP? I'll take that. But its not how they are designing it so calm down.

Did I say anything about world PvP?  I'm talking about how you think it adds replayability when it doesn't.

It adds to replayability by allowing you to make 3 different character and go through 3 different stories in actually 6 different lands + Cyrodiil, but Cryodiil will be fully explored by your first character. I don't understand how you don't understand this.

It adds to replayability by allowing you to make 3 different character and go through 3 different stories in actually 6 different lands + Cyrodiil, but Cryodiil will be fully explored by your first character. I don't understand how you don't understand this.

Because if it was unlocked (and designed to be so) then you could still make 3 different characters and go through 3 different stories.

3 different paths is still 3 different paths, doesn't matter if it's lock or not.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Did I miss something or did they say that you can't group with people from other factions?

Because if it was unlocked (and designed to be so) then you could still make 3 different characters and go through 3 different stories.

3 different paths is still 3 different paths, doesn't matter if it's lock or not.

What is the point of being unlocked then? The only good reason I can see being able to go into the other factions lands would be to rape and pillage.

Originally posted by Celcius
    Did I miss something or did they say that you can't group with people from other factions?

From what we know so far, you will not be able to group with people from other factions.  In addition you race is locked into a faction and you can only travel in your faction's area.  There is a PvP area in the middle that everyone can go and battle DAoC style.

What is the point of being unlocked then? The only good reason I can see being able to go into the other factions lands would be to rape and pillage.

Personally I would want to go to other areas to explore.  I wouldn't want to attack or be attacked by other players (if I designed this game from the start then this would change).  I say let people travel to other areas and just to look around.  Many TES fans have been waiting to see full world and could care less about PvP or creating alts.