Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The World of Tomorrow: End User MMO Game Designer

ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Will the citizen gamer of the future have a tool that allows the gamer to make his own game? A comprehensive system for the end user to create the game he dreams up, and then post for others to use?

Press the gadget there to expand on the good and bad, fantasy or feasibility of this idea!

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    If you want to create your own game, the tools to do so are there today.  But creating your own game means you have to fill in all of the details of exactly what you want to happen under all circumstances, and that's a lot of work.  A lot of game "ideas" are so vague as to be basically meaningless.  Computers will never be able to take ideas that are really vague and magically guess what you had in mind.  People can't do that, either.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

You have everything from 3D engines (Big World, Unity, Unreal) to entire turnkey systems (Explorations RPG, Realm Crafter).

There are scores of options. Take your pick.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I guess I was thinking of something that anyone could use. There are a lot of game engones and tools out there but the job is a gigantic one that involves a lot of technical knowledge as well as the hardware to house the thing.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

CryEngine is completely available for free.  If you wish to profit from your game you would have to license the engine.  I found CryEngine to be relatively easy to use and pretty straightforward.

There's also 10billion games being made on RPG Creator or whatever it is called.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    I guess I was thinking of something that anyone could use. There are a lot of game engones and tools out there but the job is a gigantic one that involves a lot of technical knowledge as well as the hardware to house the thing.

You don't really need crazy hardware to design a game with a lot of the tools currently available. Sure it helps, but isn't mandatory. Something like Unity will run on almost anything.

But you will likely never be able to sidestep the learning curves involved. I wish things were super easy too!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Seems small steps such as The Foundry or scripting stuff for mmos eg Topia online is a beginning that is then part of the mmos economy. :)
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Anyone can use Realm Crafter, RPG Maker, Platinum Sandbox, Exploration RPG, StoryBricks.

The limitation isn't the 3D engine or the modern day Klik-n-Play, it's the user's ability and talent that is.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

There are some tools out there that require very little to no experience on programming or modelling

But most likely than not you will only be able to produce mediocrity or use assets that OTHER people do, making your game to become not so ''yours''

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Anyone can use Realm Crafter, RPG Maker, Platinum Sandbox, Exploration RPG, StoryBricks.

The limitation isn't the 3D engine or the modern day Kilk-n-Play, it's the user's ability and talent that is.

I may actually agree with you here.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Game design isn't as easy as some of us might think. I remeber a few years ago I tried to get into 3d graphics being an artist and found it to be very challenging and an extreme amount of work. Forget about talking code, have you ever dabbled in flash action script or java. Things that seem like simple functions can be very complex to code and have working properly. One might make a cool little game to be proud of but I doubt many would have the capacity to actually create something others would want to play by there lonesome. Like most things it's something better left to the professionals. But do give it a go, you might be one of the few who can pull it off or at least get a better understanding and respect for what goes into the games we take for granted.
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I've never met a design kit I liked - they're always far too much effort for far too little outcome.

What I expect will eventually occur will be a wave of games blurring of the line between what's design and what's play.  Think the creature editor in Spore - is that tool for designing content to share or for playing a minigame?  That's what I think will eventually happen in MMOs.

• MeriliremMerilirem Member Posts: 77
    The only problem with that is the ability to create new pieces. If you could get around that somehow you could make alot of money selling this sort of program.

If a butterfly learnt to speak, to live in human society, paid its bills, had a job, lived in a fancy house and married a human, is it human?

Now what if that same butterfly knew how to write code better than any human and had years of experience in the game industry, would that make it a game designer?

If u wouldn't let a construction worker design your house, then why let a programmer design your world?

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by DaezAster
    Game design isn't as easy as some of us might think. I remeber a few years ago I tried to get into 3d graphics being an artist and found it to be very challenging and an extreme amount of work. Forget about talking code, have you ever dabbled in flash action script or java. Things that seem like simple functions can be very complex to code and have working properly. One might make a cool little game to be proud of but I doubt many would have the capacity to actually create something others would want to play by there lonesome. Like most things it's something better left to the professionals. But do give it a go, you might be one of the few who can pull it off or at least get a better understanding and respect for what goes into the games we take for granted.

The idea here is to make better tools than are currently available. This really should be a natual progression. A past example would be how Photoshop was extremely difficult to use a decade or so ago and was used exclusely by highly paid professionsals. Now it has been made simple and many people use it along with highly intuitive wacom tablets. The same evolutionary process could very well happen with 3d modeling and animation.

SoEmote was a breakthough with this concept but it can be taken much further. We have the technology to bring do it at home motion capture with Xbox Kinect and other motion sensors. Nobody has yet built the tools translates this into 3D design outside of a major studio. This can be done and it WILL be done at some point in the future. Expect 3 to 5 years.