Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO has the best CGI trailer that most accurately represents the game?

mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
Try not to think too hard.

Comments

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Battlefield from DICE....   zero CGI all game.

WoW has that Kung Fu panda on every commercial, that represent nothing from the game...

hopes this helps.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    I can't think of a single one lol. As cool as they are, I fully accept that the purpose of a CGI trailer is to build hype not showcase gameplay. That's just me anyways.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    I was going to mention my favorite EVE trailer with its stellar (see what I did there?) graphics, but then I remembered it was all actual game footage, and not CGI :)
  • StimzStimz Member UncommonPosts: 79
    WAR hada pretty decent one, I think.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I'd much rather have ingame footage in a trailer. CGI shows me nothing of how a game will be. I don't know of any mmo that has used CGI in a trailer and had it look that way ingame.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by Phelcher

Battlefield from DICE....   zero CGI all game.

WoW has that Kung Fu panda on every commercial, that represent nothing from the game...

hopes this helps.

1. Your first comment doesn't count seeing you didn't read the OPs thread title very well

2. Obviously you haven't played MoP if you did you would know that the panda in the commercial has everything to do with the game. The human and the orc are random and don't specifically have anything to do with the game.

and no your comments don't help

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

Couldn't careless

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128
    I don't think there is any game trailers that use CGI that represent the game all that well. Its kinda the point, its not designed to demonstrate game play but rather lore or key components that you will find in the game.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Should they accurately represent the game? Afterall, either it a) is an ad b) sets the mood c) tells a story.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I agree with stimz. The war trailer. It looked good and you could do those things in game. E.g. the squig header riding in the giant squig.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Should they accurately represent the game? Afterall, either it a) is an ad b) sets the mood c) tells a story.

Exactly. CGI trailers aren't designed to represent the game. They are designed to give the setting, mood and context of the game.

Do they represent the graphics of the game? No.

Do they represent the actual gameplay? No.

Should they represent the IP and get people thinking of what they'd like to do in the game? Yes. Some do that better than others.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

Not really into accurately representation of gameplay. Let me be dazzeld by the story trailers often display and I will make my own judgement about how the game represents itself when I am actually playing it myself.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    None. I really hate the CGI trailers/.More companies should stick to in-game stuff for there trailers.
  • KaylettaJadeKaylettaJade Member UncommonPosts: 144

The only ones that I even remember well enough to comment on are the Wow BC and WAR ones. The others obviously didn't make an impression or I'd remember them.

CGI trailers are just meant to be neat little hype inducing mini-movies. Never expect more than that from a CGI clip.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I saw the Starcraft 2 "Heart of the Swarm" trailer. Pretty dog gone close.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzE6GQNBYqo

In all honesty, nothing comes to mind. Maybe Diablo II with the CGI storyline being used as the trailer.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

I think that EvE (with exception of in-station action) represents the game quite accurately

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240

You guys should provide some links, I'm too lazy to youtube these trailers.

I've never seen a trailer and gotten the same experience in-game unless it was a scripted encounter.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Exactly. CGI trailers aren't designed to represent the game. They are designed to give the setting, mood and context of the game...

Great idea. I think movie studios should follow this trend. Show fantastic cut scenes which look nothing like the actual movie, itself.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Minecraft has one of the most honest trailers out there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmB9b5njVbA

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Arclan

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Exactly. CGI trailers aren't designed to represent the game. They are designed to give the setting, mood and context of the game...

Great idea. I think movie studios should follow this trend. Show fantastic cut scenes which look nothing like the actual movie, itself.

Looks like you missed the whole point there, buddy. What you clearly want is a gameplay demo/trailer, not a CGI trailer.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    None, CGI trailers are pointless and a waste of money.  Not sure why it's still a popular trend in the gaming industry.
  • ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188

Although can't actually jump off a cliff and land on a Lib then shoot the pilot through the coockpit, I think the intense battle scenes of Planetside 2 were captured in their CGI trailer. 

/vote Planetside2

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by trenshod

Battlefield from DICE....   zero CGI all game.   WoW has that Kung Fu panda on every commercial, that represent nothing from the game...   hopes this helps.

1. Your first comment doesn't count seeing you didn't read the OPs thread title very well

2. Obviously you haven't played MoP if you did you would know that the panda in the commercial has everything to do with the game. The human and the orc are random and don't specifically have anything to do with the game.

and no your comments don't help

Your young and gullable, so i wont be to harsh, but a commercial is MARKETING. nothing in that blizzard commercial is real... it doesnt show any actual gameplay because that would be boring. So they male a high -production commercial with all cgi graphics to get all the gullable fragile kids panties all wet.

The panda misrepresents WoW... nobody cares if the story line is correct.

Secondly, the reason u need a kung fu panda commercial is for moms and dads... so their child can tug on their sleeve and say "See.. thats the game i want daddy"..

CGI is used when the product doesnt live up...!

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
     CGI is used when the product doesnt live up...!

Not necessarily. CGI is primarily used when a contextual representation can more expeditiously convey the mood or style of the game better than gameplay can.

To give an example, here is the Civ 4 trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuiM7Ycbm-k

"Challenge, Build, Expand, Create, Fight..."

The viewer now has an idea in 5 or 6 words what the gameplay is like. The images that pass by are of civilizations building up and armies fighting, further putting into the viewers mind what they can do in the game.

"What will your civilization stand for?"

asks the voiceover as the camera pans up the stairs to the king being crowned. The trailer, through words and visions gets the viewer thinking about what they would do and how they would become king.

The types of gamers that are into sims, god games, SLGs, conquest games all have a tease as to what the game can be. It has them interested in either finding out more or simply in getting the game. This is a message that could never have been as compellingly relayed if done through gameplay if for no other reason than a first time viewer wouldn't have the slightest clue what they are looking at.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre