Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Exile: Open Beta Goes Live

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Grinding Gears has announced that the open beta for Path of Exile is now live. Players are able to log in and try out the action RPG all the way through the newly-added Act 3.

Key features of Path of Exile:

• A dark and deep action RPG

• Build unlimited unique characters on a gigantic skill tree

• Combine over 110 skill gems to create unique combat strategies

• Explore a dark and gritty world rendered from a fixed 3D perspective

• Download and play for free, but never 'pay-to-win'

• Explore randomly generated levels for extreme replayability

• Craft weapons, magic items and even end-game maps to become more powerful

• Cooperate or compete with thousands of other exiles in a persistent online world

• Ascend online ladders in every game mode

• Battle in PVP tournaments for worldwide recognition

Find out more and download the client on the Path of Exile site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Servers are rammed so expect a wait chaps.
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

chaps? lol. seriously though im downloading now. looks like a fun game to play in between my mmo's.

• bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Yeah 1.5 gig patch, will propbably have a bash in the morning.
  • Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

I got logged in no problem,but there was a message in red stating they've ordered more server hardware.

Seem's reality surpassed expectation as far as player response :)

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Been dowloading the patch all evening while drinking tea and listening to Chelsea V Swansea. I have grown a beard while waiting.........A longer beard anyway.
  • AristabulusAristabulus Member Posts: 6

The client was available to DL a week+ ago, and the OB patch was available as of T minus ~90 minutes on the countdown.  I installed last week, finished DLing the patch just before the servers came back up, logged in immediately to American servers with no issues.  Futzed around for a couple hours, no major desyncs or disconnects.

When I went to look at the cash shop, the website was groaning in protest, though....

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    hoping this gives me more enjoyment than D3 and TL2 only got a week from those:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Slappy1

I got logged in no problem,but there was a message in red stating they've ordered more server hardware.

Seem's reality surpassed expectation as far as player response :)

i think they are a little NZ company. diablo 3 failure gave them alot of popularity and now are spiling thier beers on the servers and require more XD

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I got more hours of enjoyment from D3 than I did from GW2. I hope PoE does the same.
  • theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102
    got an update to download 1.53 gb on a speed  107 kb/sec with 2 gb connection. looks like no open beta for me.
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Wow servers are under extreme load, this game is big, this game have 26k likes from face book thats awesome and this game will grow blizzard e
  • MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278
    Epic game.  After AH3, I mean D3, this game was a breath of fresh air.  I can definitely see myself playing this for months if not years.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Melkrow
    Epic game.  After AH3, I mean D3, this game was a breath of fresh air.  I can definitely see myself playing this for months if not years.

Agreed, I've very happy with their take on the cash shop as well. Should be a win/win for all. 

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    For one, this game is not a MMO. Secondly, it's a plain Diablo ripoff. So why exactly is PoE getting coverage on a MMO site? There are plenty of other MMOs in the works deserving more coverage than PoE and are actually even original. 
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    For one, this game is not a MMO. Secondly, it's a plain Diablo ripoff. So why exactly is PoE getting coverage on a MMO site? There are plenty of other MMOs in the works deserving more coverage than PoE and are actually even original. 

D3 got coverage,why not this game?Apparently people want the info.

I like it better than D3.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    How is the multiplayer part handled?  Is it more along the lines of D3 or D2?  Can you just join a game automatically like D3 or do you need to search through a list like D2?
  • MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185

I have been playing it alone until my gaming pal gets home, and it is great. I really like how skills are tied to gems and how there is more of a trade currency. The enemies are done well to. Where as once these little buggers that shoot stuff at me were laughable, now there are cave dwelling ones with hard shells that you have to break off first.

If you liked Diablo II or Titans Quest, then you will likely enjoy the game.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Czanrei

Whats funny is that D3 felt more like a Diablo ripoff lol, this feels more like D3 should have felt. 

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    How is the multiplayer part handled?  Is it more along the lines of D3 or D2?  Can you just join a game automatically like D3 or do you need to search through a list like D2?

There is a billboard in Towns where you can see open Partys and you can join them :)

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Amazing game. Enjoying my ranger immensely. One of the servers must have gone down cause I just got booted out.
  • lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162
    It this game "click to move" or can you decide that yourself?
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297

haha just as expected i knew they were gonna get bashed with a huge load not that it was a hard  prediction to make

D3 was shallow and over simpilifed, unfortuntely

Originally posted by lindhsky
    It this game "click to move" or can you decide that yourself?

Click to move and if you hold shift down you stay in place while fighting.I don't think there's another movement option.

Arya Stark

• lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Ok, thanks for your quick reply. :)
  • kalrarkalrar Member UncommonPosts: 35

I am currently downloading the patch and as yet have not found information on the available resolution. 

Is 3840 x 1024 available ?   thx