Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Steam: Reality Squared to Publish

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Mechanist Games has reached a publishing agreement with R2Games (Reality Squared) to bring City of Steam to a worldwide audience. R2Games currently publishes Wartune and Crystal Saga and City of Steam will be its first foray into the browser-based games market.

Having garnered a growing following of hardcore fans throughout the Alpha and Closed Beta tests in 2012, City of Steam has been making waves in both browser gaming and MMO communities. It offers a full MMO experience without the need for lengthy client installs. Loading times are short, and the game runs smoothly on even modest hardware, making it highly accessible to most online gamers. Players explore the ancient city of Nexus, a once great civilization where mechanical steamworks and magic are ever-present. The story initially unfolds from a personal perspective, where players must find a new home for themselves and their families. Quests unravel the boundless mysteries of not only Nexus, but the player's own shrouded past.

Find out more about City of Steam.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    R2games is decent. Coulda been worse :D thanks for the info suzy!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Never even heard of R2games.. gonna need to dive into their forums to see how they are :P
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Another one off the Radar... R2Games CEO Jared Psigoda is the Captain Ahab of MMO Monetization...

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/374633/F2P-and-monetization.html

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Damn I've almost cried when I've heard the news. I'm following this game closely, the dev team is so great, and they so much know what they are doing, clearly they have a solid experience as gamers behind them... but R2Games is absolutely terrible... Darnit! Pay to win... Worst gaming news of 2013 for me so far...
  • CoS_IanCoS_Ian Member Posts: 21
    No worries guys, essence of the game itself won't be changed, still the same product, the same values, the same team behind it. Also, though publishers can offer us suggesitons, the ultimate decision power for everything in relation to development is still in our own hands. I'd say everything is going pretty well right now, and we're working hard to get the game polished up. And we absolutely hate pay to win. We like to think we've had a good reputation thus far, and wouldn't let a P2W model tarnish that. Our new publishers understand that, and we wouldn't have partnered up otherwise.

City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

very nice to hear

cant wait to play this game some more

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Originally posted by timeraider
    Never even heard of R2games.. gonna need to dive into their forums to see how they are :P

Oh goodness whatever you do don't look at the forums. They don't delete the forums they lock. It's all forum rage. Ive played Reality Squared games since they were brand new with there first crystal saga server. They are not even close to as bad as the forums make them look. I will say this though. There customer service is pretty slow but its real people and not bots so its way better then most games. Also I found there cash shop to be very fair in crystal saga but VERY overpriced in there brand new game Broken Realm. Hopefully they lean towards the fair priced side again because lately they are milking thier playerbase very badly.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I have yet to see a decent browser based game.  Why play one when you there are so many much better client based ones?
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    I have yet to see a decent browser based game.  Why play one when you there are so many much better client based ones?

because nowadays graphics grow over in-depth storyline, fun gameplay and lore. In most of the new games.. overload of graphics = lack of fun gaming.

About R2Games.. im still scared as shit from them... they did post a letter to the CoS community 

http://forum.cityofsteam.com/index.php?topic=4262.0

But i have more trust in the fact that the Mechanist employees say they will keep watch over all the regions and most of the decisions need to get past them.. kinda reassures me

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

City of Steam is great Ozmodan. It's not a "pure" browser game, it requires about 100MB of download from what i remember, it is some hybrid model of some sort, i'm not some techy guy to know more, but the game is actually pretty massive. Give it a try when they go in the next beta, It's a great game, the devs know what they are doing. It was number 1 on my wait list for this year, despite of other big titles as TESO or Defiance, Age of Wushu and others. I don't play other browser games, never played any of them for more than 1 week, still, i find City of Steam That good. Unfortunately, I'm still recovering from the news R2Games as a publisher, despite of everything everyone posted (devs, R2Games people) on the official website. Oh well, let's see how it goes.

Ah well.. They explained it. R2games will only yust be the publisher.. Meaning they make sure the servers are up, the foruns stay up and do the EU support. Contractually they arent allowed to touch anything inside the game (including the cashshop etc.), neither are they allowed to break with the rules set by Mechanist. Mechanist calls all the shots, r2games yust host the sites and stuff around it.
    This settled my panick... This is good news and i cant wait for open beta to see how the game has improved even more.

For people who dont know the game, check out the foruns and some videos (video graphical quality may be misleading.. People couldnt record while playing at 1080 or at high graphics for some reason so not 100% to go from but still some great footage)
  • theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102

Being in one of the betas.

Best browser MMO i`ve seen so far.