Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hating the Haters

Comments

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Istavaan

I think even one of the mmorpg staff, who had test-played the game, said it was a ThemePark so I think it is pretty much a sure thing that it is. And an Elder Scrolls game, which are traditionally open ended sandboxy RPGs, contrary to linear story based one's like Dragon Age, being created as a ThemePark deserves to be hated.

It is like taking a piss on your fanbase and creating something completely else.

just like how warcraft was an rts and they made it a mmorpg, is that not pissing on your fanbase? You've no idea what this game will be like yet you are hating it already, see it for yourself before you start throwing tantrums.

very much agreed.. the blind hatred over themeparks on these forums is just sad... from all i have read sounds like they have some solid ideas so hopefully it will pan out

It is not blind. Most of us labeled ThemePark haters have played the original sandbox MMOs and all the generic ThemePark MMOs and found them lacking.

I have personally played WoW, AoC, WAR, Aion, TERA and GW 2 and all of them have had the same flaws. Linear, simplistic and lack of living, breathing virtual world and instead artifical level bracketted zones which you follow in linear fashion from lvl 1 to cap.

So the hate is not blind, it is based on extensive experience.

you have not played ESO, we still don't know a lot about what the final product will actually be and you say to hate it because it's a themepark.. yea id' call that blind hatred towards themeparks... just because you haven't found one fun for you doesn't mean it won't happen.. you never know. I'd rather keep an open mind than just hate for the sake of hating on something...

butting in here. Dislike of the for themepark mmos has developed of the past 4 years or so, and for good reason.

At the same time, I'm a gamer, and love good games and systems. I wont know until I feel it, but the TESO combat and itemization systems seem like a welcome addition to the themepark sub genre. For this I will be giving it ago. It will have to be damn good in order to have staying power imo.

No game has staying power in this demanding day and age, that's a fact. people get bored faster these days. even if your perfect sandbox comes out people will get bored of it and move on.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

you have not played ESO, we still don't know a lot about what the final product will actually be and you say to hate it because it's a themepark.. yea id' call that blind hatred towards themeparks... just because you haven't found one fun for you doesn't mean it won't happen.. you never know. I'd rather keep an open mind than just hate for the sake of hating on something...

butting in here. Dislike of the for themepark mmos has developed of the past 4 years or so, and for good reason.

At the same time, I'm a gamer, and love good games and systems. I wont know until I feel it, but the TESO combat and itemization systems seem like a welcome addition to the themepark sub genre. For this I will be giving it ago. It will have to be damn good in order to have staying power though.

which makes sense to me you go in with a cautious but open mind but to just outright hate it because it's a themepark sounds like blind hatred to me... i as well enjoy games and as much as I hate military shooters in general I played Spec ops The Line and LOVED the game(mostly just for it's story) but again if i just skipped on it because i know I hate military shooters I would of missed out on a great game.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I think even one of the mmorpg staff, who had test-played the game, said it was a ThemePark so I think it is pretty much a sure thing that it is. And an Elder Scrolls game, which are traditionally open ended sandboxy RPGs, contrary to linear story based one's like Dragon Age, being created as a ThemePark deserves to be hated.

It is like taking a piss on your fanbase and creating something completely else.

there was never anything sandbox in a MMO kind of way about elder scrolls games. Sandbox for single player games are define by their open world design. Look it up. Nothing to do with player made content. All MMO have open worlds. Adding multiplayer to skyrim or oblivion and you get the same gameplay found in any themepark mmo. There is nothing unique about the elder scrolls gameplay thatsnot found in a themepark

this here is so true but these jaded people on this site that hate on every single new game not even released because it doesnt have open world pvp or some fake screwed up view of what a sandbox really is need to go seriously. I can understand some of the hate on games that been out awhile and made promises not kept of if someone just doesnt like the game in general but man the hate since Day 1 on this title has been way worse than both GW2 and SWTOR and its not even out yet or close to being released.

If people hate the game so much thats fine it hasnt cost a dime yet so why post about how bad its going to be? The hilarious thing though here is about 90% of the haters here you will see at the end of this year playing it and talking smack im sure yet they still contribute to the huge super problem of their own most hated game design....

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

there was never anything sandbox in a MMO kind of way about elder scrolls games. Sandbox for single player games are define by their open world design. Look it up. Nothing to do with player made content. All MMO have open worlds. Adding multiplayer to skyrim or oblivion and you get the same gameplay found in any themepark mmo. There is nothing unique about the elder scrolls gameplay thatsnot found in a themepark

Nonsense. Themepark MMOs do not have open world design, they are clearly designed to funnel you from quest hub to quest hub, level bracketted zone to level bracketted zone and your character is carefully designed to be able to fight the content for that particular level bracket.

Skyrim was not designed like that. There was a story line that you could follow but you could also go out completely on your own and enjoy the game because the world was designed so that you could do that and still enjoy the game. ThemePark games, altough you could do it that way, are not designed as such.

And sandbox MMOs are also not defined by player made content but rather by open world design. However since they are MMOs, player made content is one of the elements typically associated with sandbox MMOs. However a ThemePark could also have it, just look at the STO foundry system, so it is not direcly related to sandbox MMOs.

What sandbox mmo's have you played? the only true sandbox i have played was swg and most people hated it because it wasn't like everquest. Developers can't win, if the move away from the mmo formula people complain that its missing features and if it sticks to the formula it's a shallow themepark wow clone.

UO, Eve, AC 1, SWG, DF and MO. And there is no such thing as a true sandbox as the therm is not exactly defined. In UO you had very limited ability to directly create content but rather it was considered a sandbox because it had an open world design, skillbased system and FFA PvP and progression were not based on doing quests. Similar with AC 1, which was a hybrid skillbased and exp system but also open world design and quests were not main path of progression.

Originally posted by cronius77

this here is so true but these jaded people on this site that hate on every single new game not even released because it doesnt have open world pvp or some fake screwed up view of what a sandbox really is need to go seriously. I can understand some of the hate on games that been out awhile and made promises not kept of if someone just doesnt like the game in general but man the hate since Day 1 on this title has been way worse than both GW2 and SWTOR and its not even out yet or close to being released.

If people hate the game so much thats fine it hasnt cost a dime yet so why post about how bad its going to be? The hilarious thing though here is about 90% of the haters here you will see at the end of this year playing it and talking smack im sure yet they still contribute to the huge super problem of their own most hated game design....

Yeah the game these people are wishing has never actually existed, they are living in their heads hyping something that doesn't exist. if it did exist they would be playing, so where is this fabulous game that they are comparing every "themepark" to?

No game has staying power in this demanding day and age, that's a fact. people get bored faster these days. even if your perfect sandbox comes out people will get bored of it and move on.

very much agreed also the volume of games(especially MMOs) is insane you would be missing out on so much to just stick to a single game these days

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

just like how warcraft was an rts and they made it a mmorpg, is that not pissing on your fanbase? You've no idea what this game will be like yet you are hating it already, see it for yourself before you start throwing tantrums.

very much agreed.. the blind hatred over themeparks on these forums is just sad... from all i have read sounds like they have some solid ideas so hopefully it will pan out

It is not blind. Most of us labeled ThemePark haters have played the original sandbox MMOs and all the generic ThemePark MMOs and found them lacking.

I have personally played WoW, AoC, WAR, Aion, TERA and GW 2 and all of them have had the same flaws. Linear, simplistic and lack of living, breathing virtual world and instead artifical level bracketted zones which you follow in linear fashion from lvl 1 to cap.

You can call it swiss cheese if you want, does not make it so. I dont hate ThemeParks because I like hating, that makes no sense at all. I hate it because I have seen how it reduces a virtual world massively multiplayer experience, the original idea, to a single/limited multiplayer type of game which is has no virtual world feeling at all and tries to separate the playerbase into instances, brackets and PvP zones, rather than bring them together.

It cheapens the experience for a quick thrill and that is why I have grown to hate it and specially a game like Skyrim, which follows the open world, non linear, sandbox philosophy is reduced to yet another ThemePark. And I dont need to wait for the release to assume that because all signs are pointing to it, even an MMORPG staff who said the game is a ThemePark.

Skyrim a game that's massively dumbed down in comparison to morrowind..see i can do that too.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Nonsense. Themepark MMOs do not have open world design, they are clearly designed to funnel you from quest hub to quest hub, level bracketted zone to level bracketted zone and your character is carefully designed to be able to fight the content for that particular level bracket.

Skyrim was not designed like that. There was a story line that you could follow but you could also go out completely on your own and enjoy the game because the world was designed so that you could do that and still enjoy the game. ThemePark games, altough you could do it that way, are not designed as such.

And sandbox MMOs are also not defined by player made content but rather by open world design. However since they are MMOs, player made content is one of the elements typically associated with sandbox MMOs. However a ThemePark could also have it, just look at the STO foundry system, so it is not direcly related to sandbox MMOs.

Skyrim was a themepark - just because you could go out and explore does not make it any less themeparky. You can explore in GW2 also - that is how I am leveling one character, just going out ans seeing what is there.

You are picking at nits and just throwing out as much non-information as possible to see if it sticks. There are no hard and fast rules so please stop trying to invent them.

Let us wait and see what it will be BEFORE bringing on the hate or the hype engine.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

This is a public forum dedicated to every MMO.  If there was no bitching, we wouldn't have active threads.

The "love" is usually religated to the games own forum, along with more bitching of course.

My issue is trying to translate an open RPG based on overpowered builds into an MMO.  My spidey sense says something may not go well.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

very much agreed also the volume of games(especially MMOs) is insane you would be missing out on so much to just stick to a single game these days

see im a little different here , ive actually been playing skyrim since release off and on heavy at times and fallout 3 new vegas before that. Being the open ended nature of both games and the shear amount of mods for both games the replayability is just great and doesnt get old. I know they cannot do that with how TESO will work as mods wont work but the factional system in place will really help i think for stretching out the game over a longer period of time than say Rift did or WOW or SWTOR. I love TES games and fallout series storytelling and general gameplay so i cannot help but look forward to this.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

I

You can call it swiss cheese if you want, does not make it so. I dont hate ThemeParks because I like hating, that makes no sense at all. I hate it because I have seen how it reduces a virtual world massively multiplayer experience, the original idea, to a single/limited multiplayer type of game which is has no virtual world feeling at all and tries to separate the playerbase into instances, brackets and PvP zones, rather than bring them together.

It cheapens the experience for a quick thrill and that is why I have grown to hate it and specially a game like Skyrim, which follows the open world, non linear, sandbox philosophy is reduced to yet another ThemePark. And I dont need to wait for the release to assume that because all signs are pointing to it, even an MMORPG staff who said the game is a ThemePark.

Until a sandbox game is really successful, you aren't going to see the money go to making one of these.  MMOs are expensive.   Making and running a sandbox one is a lot more difficult than many fans of the genre realize.  There's a reason that almost every seminal sandbox moved away from the utter openness you admire.  On the other hand, I wish there was a game for folks who want that experiance.  But sandbox fans can't even agree on the elements needed in one.   Remember all those 'I'm not going to play it, it lacks that one feature I MUST have!' posts?  

Despite my bitchin' about the Lore issues in ESO, I will probably give it a shot, if it is not an apparant failure upon release.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

My first MMORPG was horizons and i thought it was the coolest most amazing thing ever, imagine i can play this game with all these other people. The novelty has worn off now. the haters want that original experience back but the thing is you only have one first kiss. You can't recreate that feeling again no matter how many sandbox features a game has.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    My first MMORPG was horizons and i thought it was the coolest most amazing thing ever, imagine i can play this game with all these other people. The novelty has worn off now. the haters want that original experience back but the thing is you only have one first kiss you can't recreate that feeling again no matter how many sandbox features a game has.

And yet they can in different genres when new games come out.

At the same time, I'm a gamer, and love good games and systems. I wont know until I feel it, but the TESO combat and itemization systems seem like a welcome addition to the themepark sub genre. For this I will be giving it ago. It will have to be damn good in order to have staying power though.

which makes sense to me you go in with a cautious but open mind but to just outright hate it because it's a themepark sounds like blind hatred to me... i as well enjoy games and as much as I hate military shooters in general I played Spec ops The Line and LOVED the game(mostly just for it's story) but again if i just skipped on it because i know I hate military shooters I would of missed out on a great game.

Do you even know what blind hatred is? Let me educate you. It means to hate something without knowing anything about it and/or false information about it. I know that ESO will be a ThemePark and I know what a ThemePark formula does to an MMO. More over I know that Skyrim was not a ThemePark style RPG so my hate for it is based on facts.

Now you may believe that the fact that ESO will be a ThemePark is indeed not a fact but I believe it is and there are tons of signs pointing to it. So my hate for ESO is not blind, I dont hate it for no or false reason. I have a clear, specific reason for it and that is that the Skyrim model would have been a stellar and great sandbox MMO.

Instead they scrapped that idea and went ThemePark and, short of the Elder Scrolls skin, I dont see how those two RPGs will have anything to do with each other. It is another example where they (ab)use an excellent IP for a quick cash grab.

Originally posted by Alders

This is a public forum dedicated to every MMO.  If there was no bitching, we wouldn't have active threads.

The "love" is usually religated to the games own forum, along with more bitching of course.

My issue is trying to translate an open RPG based on overpowered builds into an MMO.  My spidey sense says something may not go well.

Compared to morrowind, skyrim is very much a themepark

Do you even know what blind hatred is? Let me educate you. It means to hate something without knowing anything about it and/or false information about it. I know that ESO will be a ThemePark and I know what a ThemePark formula does to an MMO. More over I know that Skyrim was not a ThemePark style RPG so my hate for it is based on facts.

Now you may believe that the fact that ESO will be a ThemePark is indeed not a fact but I believe it is and there are tons of signs pointing to it. So my hate for ESO is not blind, I dont hate it for no or false reason. I have a clear, specific reason for it and that is that the Skyrim model would have been a stellar and great sandbox MMO.

Instead they scrapped that idea and went ThemePark and, short of the Elder Scrolls skin, I dont see how those two RPGs will have anything to do with each other. It is another example where they (ab)use an excellent IP for a quick cash grab.

which is complete nonsense until we see the final product or at least till open beta

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    The hate train has well and truly moved from gw2 to TESO, you guys are getting way too predictable. Some people like being miserable, i hope the mods crack down on it because it's making this place a depressing place to visit.

The most depressing thing around here, to be fair, is some people continously telling us post after post how depressing it is here...

Originally posted by botrytis

Skyrim was a themepark - just because you could go out and explore does not make it any less themeparky. You can explore in GW2 also - that is how I am leveling one character, just going out ans seeing what is there.

You are picking at nits and just throwing out as much non-information as possible to see if it sticks. There are no hard and fast rules so please stop trying to invent them.

Let us wait and see what it will be BEFORE bringing on the hate or the hype engine.

You keep repeating that but dont say why. How was Skyrim a ThemePark? The whole world was designed so you did not need to follow it in a linear fashion. You could, if you wanted to, but that is the beauty of open world design, you can do what the hell you want and the world is designed to do just that. That is what defines a virtual world and sandbox and what is contrary to ThemePark designed MMOs which are carefully designed to funnel you from point to point and punish you if you go of that path.

Dragon Age is a perfect example of a ThemePark like RPG where you are meant to follow a linear storyline and it would not make much sense if you did not because the "world" was not designed for it. Now if you dont see the difference between that and Skyrim then you have simply failed to grasp why Skyrim was such a great game.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

Blind Hatred?  The hate it's getting is because they locked races to factions and then limit the area we can explore.  You are the one that sounds blind.  If you can't take a moment to read what people are saying then you shouldn't comment.

which is complete nonsense until we see the final product or at least till open beta

No, it is a prediction based on the data we have. In life things are not always handed to you but you have to make assumptions,  predictions and even guess. If you are unable to do that then goodluck getting through life basing everything you do in 100% verifiable evidence.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Yep, it's a cash grab, sorry you didn't get a sandbox bro, you really need one it seems.

Personally don't even care if it's a cash grab, last time I spent money on a mmo was 2008. I'll spend some money on this after enjoying games like W.Gretzky Hockey 1-3 (1989-1993 or so), The Terminator, (need I say when?) Fallout 3, Skyrim and so on.

Don't care about the superb sandbox theory either, not one bit

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    The hate train has well and truly moved from gw2 to TESO, you guys are getting way too predictable. Some people like being miserable, i hope the mods crack down on it because it's making this place a depressing place to visit.

The most depressing thing around here, to be fair, is some people continously telling us post after post how depressing it is here...

Remeber there were only a couple people on the GW2 "hate train" to begin with. I think it's fair to say that it was a 70% apporve 30% disapprove beakdown pre-launch. 

TESO started the other way around with many more disapprove than approve. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by sapphen

Blind Hatred?  The hate it's getting is because they locked races to factions and then limit the area we can explore.  You are the one that sounds blind.  If you can't take a moment to read what people are saying then you shouldn't comment.

im pretty sure he said the lower level areas are locked but the game opens up as you gain levels. he even hinted that races from opposing factions can possibly be in the same guild with a *wink* *wink* *nudge* nudge*..basically they are keeping their cards close to their chests and you have very few facts.

Originally posted by sapphen

i have only see that mentioned by a couple people i have seen numerous times people posting they hate this game already because it's branded a themepark.. i highly doubt any of them have played beta tried the game in any fasion or have any experience in it at all so i'd call it pretty blind..

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by botrytis

You keep repeating that but dont say why. How was Skyrim a ThemePark? The whole world was designed so you did not need to follow it in a linear fashion.

Because themepark is not define by linear or non linear.

Themepark is defined by offering the player pre made rides (story and dungeons for example) that they can use for enjoyment.

Open themepark vs directed themepark.

This discussion has been closed.