Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hating the Haters

Ides385Ides385 Member UncommonPosts: 82

I made this account because I was tired of all the generic negativity surrounding a game we know little about.

As a background I've played several MMOs. Ultima Online being my favorite past time, and Darkfall being my favorite vision thereafter. Played Guild Wars2, was slightly original and nice for a while but got old. Tried several others but they couldn't keep my attention. Originallity is key for me.

To these generic comments, "It's not a sanbox game", "It's a WoW clone", "It's just a theme park". Seriously people what are you talking about? What are you basing this on?

What is a sandbox game? Would that be something where you can go out and create your own adventures? Like going to collect material and wondering across a monster you must protect your self from, coming across a shaddy charater and deciding whether or not to help them, diving into a cave to see what treasures it hides. What is you definition of sandbox exactly?? There isn't a story path you must follow like fable, this is an open world. This isn't a theme park, you aren't forced down paths. You could be a cave diver your entire stay and be rewarded for it.

It's a WoW clone? Really? The stupid game where you click on something and hit buttons, waiting for timers. For one thing that is a recipe that WoW definetly did not create. So quit calling games WoW clones in the first place. This game seems it will require you to aim and jump and move. If anything call it a Darkfall clone, which I would be happy to do. For now don't call it anything because we don't know enough.

None of the detail are known enough, so perhaps it rediculous for me to make these counter arguments. But I just don't know where all these labels are coming from unless you just want to be a hater.

I might end up hating this game, but I'm not going to bash it when its obviously something that is somewhat oiginal if you've read or watched anything about it. Its certainly not a target something and press buttons MMO where you must stay in line to play the game. I see it just as free and challenging as TES games have been, why think differently.

PS. Please have player housing (fingers crossed).

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Don't hate the playa, hate the game!

...Wait.

In any case, people will be people.  Most don't know what they like, and when they get what they thought they wanted, it's all up and arms again.  The MMO genre has very much been "bastardized" in a matter of speaking; those who started in the 90s or early 00's typically loved MMOs for what they were.   Nowadays if it isn't as good as "x" or have this feature or that it's a blight on humanity that should go the way of ET's console game to most.

Sad face.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    The haters have an unlimited development budget. The actual developers of MMOs do not. It's not a fair fight. So don't try to fight it. You can't win.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    The hate train has well and truly moved from gw2 to TESO, you guys are getting way too predictable. Some people like being miserable, i hope the mods crack down on it because it's making this place a depressing place to visit.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I think even one of the mmorpg staff, who had test-played the game, said it was a ThemePark so I think it is pretty much a sure thing that it is. And an Elder Scrolls game, which are traditionally open ended sandboxy RPGs, contrary to linear story based one's like Dragon Age, being created as a ThemePark deserves to be hated.

It is like taking a piss on your fanbase and creating something completely else.

• zSurrenderzSurrender Member UncommonPosts: 16

I support this. I personally think I'll love this game, I don't know what people are crying about these days anyways. The problem isn't the game, it's the GAMERS. In fact, i've seen a lot of it on this website, I don't post here much, but I frequently view the website because I'm a fan of MMORPGs. I've played a lot of them in past years, and still present.

When I hear TESO had beta signup I was pysched, it just got me more excited for this game. Why the problem with the gamers? Because the expectations of today's gamers are WAY too fucking high. Like ridiculously high. And it's sad seeing this because the game isn't even OUT yet and it's being bashed by dumb trolls that will probably end up playing the game. No body gives a shit that you don't like it, I can't tell you what to like and what not to like, however you become a nuisance when you constantly cry and bitch about a VIDEO GAME on a forum. I personally think the problem lies within the gaming community, i've seen TOO many games being bashed due to high expectations from "gamers".

End rant.

TESO will rock, if you don't like it, well.. then I feel sorry for you.

Originally posted by Yamota

I think even one of the mmorpg staff, who had test-played the game, said it was a ThemePark so I think it is pretty much a sure thing that it is. And an Elder Scrolls game, which are traditionally open ended sandboxy RPGs, contrary to linear story based one's like Dragon Age, being created as a ThemePark deserves to be hated.

It is like taking a piss on your fanbase and creating something completely else.

just like how warcraft was an rts and they made it a mmorpg, is that not pissing on your fanbase? You've no idea what this game will be like yet you are hating it already, see it for yourself before you start throwing tantrums.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Warcraft was a RTS game. World of Warcraft seemed to do pretty well, even tho it changed the gameplay. I see nothing wrong with taking the setting, lore and atmostphere and placing it in different game styles.

Edit: Whoa...almost identical posts...lol

Path of Exile is getting huge amounts of love and it's not even an mmorpg yet every mmo on here gets massive amounts of hate, that pretty much sums up the attitude of the negative ones..they don't like mmorpg's and they will keep on telling us all about it.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Istavaan

just like how warcraft was an rts and they made it a mmorpg, is that not pissing on your fanbase? You've no idea what this game will be like yet you are hating it already, see it for yourself before you start throwing tantrums.

very much agreed.. the blind hatred over themeparks on these forums is just sad... from all i have read sounds like they have some solid ideas so hopefully it will pan out

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Ides385

Hating the Haters

Why so much hate? :(

Drill Sergeant: Look soldier, you don't like me, and I don't like you.
    Homer: I like you.
    Drill Sergeant: Well, I don't like you.
    Homer: Maybe you'd like me if you got to know me better.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

TESO is segregating factions in order to avoid conflicts, so if anything it's closer to a SWTOR clone than a WoW clone. Less the stories that is.

Or maybe a GW2 clone too since they are copying the lack of trinity.

All the reviews also indicate that TESO will be fully themepark, which to me means, great for a month or 2 before buyers remorse sets in ..

But welcome to the MMORPG community!  You've taken your first step..

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

No because that are two different type of games, just reusing the setting. Elder Scrolls games are RPGs and Elder Scrolls Online is simply a Massively Multiplayer RPGs so it would come natural to create the MMORPG in the same way the RPGs were done unless you want to completely ignore your existing fanbase.

As for having and idea about it. Isn't that one of the reasons you visit MMORPG news site such as this, to get an idea? And the info I have received from articles both on this site and other news sites is that the game will definetely be a ThemePark with three hardcoded factions, meaning you can never switch. And all the info released so far indicates a linear leveling path with separate zones for PvP. Again, two hallmarks of a ThemePark MMO.

No because that are two different type of games, just reusing the setting. Elder Scrolls games are RPGs and Elder Scrolls Online is simply a Massively Multiplayer RPGs so it would come natural to create the MMORPG in the same way the RPGs were done unless you want to completely ignore your existing fanbase.

As for having and idea about it. Isn't that one of the reasons you visit MMORPG news site such as this, to get an idea? And the info I have received from articles both on this site and other news sites is that the game will definetely be a ThemePark with three hardcoded factions, meaning you can never switch. And all the info released so far indicates a linear leveling path with separate zones for PvP. Again, two hallmarks of a ThemePark MMO.

"All the info" that for all you know could have changed along the way. Wait and see what the game is like before you throw your toys out of the pram.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

very much agreed.. the blind hatred over themeparks on these forums is just sad... from all i have read sounds like they have some solid ideas so hopefully it will pan out

It is not blind. Most of us labeled ThemePark haters have played the original sandbox MMOs and all the generic ThemePark MMOs and found the latter to be lacking.

I have personally played WoW, AoC, WAR, Aion, TERA and GW 2 and all of them have had the same type of flaws. Linear, simplistic and lack of living, breathing virtual world and instead artifical level bracketted zones which you follow in linear fashion from lvl 1 to cap.

So the hate is not blind, it is based on extensive experience.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I think even one of the mmorpg staff, who had test-played the game, said it was a ThemePark so I think it is pretty much a sure thing that it is. And an Elder Scrolls game, which are traditionally open ended sandboxy RPGs, contrary to linear story based one's like Dragon Age, being created as a ThemePark deserves to be hated.It is like taking a piss on your fanbase and creating something completely else.

there was never anything sandbox in a MMO kind of way about elder scrolls games. Sandbox for single player games are define by their open world design. Look it up. Nothing to do with player made content. All MMO have open worlds. Adding multiplayer to skyrim or oblivion and you get the same gameplay found in any themepark mmo. There is nothing unique about the elder scrolls gameplay thatsnot found in a themepark

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by Karteli

TESO is segregating factions in order to avoid conflicts, so if anything it's closer to a SWTOR clone than a WoW clone.

All the reviews also indicate that TESO will be fully themepark, which to me means, great for a month or 2 before buyers remorse sets in ..

But welcome to the MMORPG community!  You've taken your first step..

Reviews? they played one zone and one dungeon you can't really pass judgement on such a small part of the game. The reviews were positive aswell but i guess you only like to see the negativity.

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Originally posted by Ides385

I made this account because I was tired of all the generic negativity surrounding a game we know little about.

Isn't this the way it always works?  I remember when EverQuest was a few months from being launched.  I was really looking forward to it, but there were so many gamers hanging out at alt.games.ultimaonline and alt.games.everquest predicting the "pvp switch" would never work and that "nobody" would want to play a game without free-for-all UO-style pvp.

Well, all those people were wrong, and we knew a helluva lot more about Everquest at that time than we do about ESO right now.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

It is not blind. Most of us labeled ThemePark haters have played the original sandbox MMOs and all the generic ThemePark MMOs and found them lacking.

I have personally played WoW, AoC, WAR, Aion, TERA and GW 2 and all of them have had the same flaws. Linear, simplistic and lack of living, breathing virtual world and instead artifical level bracketted zones which you follow in linear fashion from lvl 1 to cap.

you have not played ESO, we still don't know a lot about what the final product will actually be and you say to hate it because it's a themepark.. yea id' call that blind hatred towards themeparks... just because you haven't found one fun for you doesn't mean it won't happen.. you never know. I'd rather keep an open mind than just hate for the sake of hating on something...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by MMOExposed

there was never anything sandbox in a MMO kind of way about elder scrolls games. Sandbox for single player games are define by their open world design. Look it up. Nothing to do with player made content. All MMO have open worlds. Adding multiplayer to skyrim or oblivion and you get the same gameplay found in any themepark mmo. There is nothing unique about the elder scrolls gameplay thatsnot found in a themepark

Nonsense. Themepark MMOs do not have open world design, they are clearly designed to funnel you from quest hub to quest hub, level bracketted zone to level bracketted zone and your character is carefully designed to be able to fight the content for that particular level bracket.

Skyrim was not designed like that. There was a story line that you could follow but you could also go out completely on your own and enjoy the game because the world was designed so that you could do that and still enjoy the game. ThemePark games, altough you could do it that way, are not designed as such.

And sandbox MMOs are also not defined by player made content but rather by open world design. However since they are MMOs, player made content is one of the elements typically associated with sandbox MMOs. However a ThemePark could also have it, just look at the STO foundry system, so it is not direcly related to sandbox MMOs.

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Nonsense. Themepark MMOs do not have open world design, they are clearly designed to funnel you from quest hub to quest hub, level bracketted zone to level bracketted zone and your character is carefully designed to be able to fight the content for that particular level bracket.

Skyrim was not designed like that. There was a story line that you could follow but you could also go out completely on your own and enjoy the game because the world was designed so that you could do that and still enjoy the game. ThemePark games, altough you could do it that way, are not designed as such.

And sandbox MMOs are also not defined by player made content but rather by open world design. However since they are MMOs, player made content is one of the elements typically associated with sandbox MMOs. However a ThemePark could also have it, just look at the STO foundry system, so it is not direcly related to sandbox MMOs.

What sandbox mmo's have you played? the only true sandbox i have played was swg and most people hated it because it wasn't like everquest. Developers can't win, if the move away from the mmo formula people complain that its missing features and if it sticks to the formula it's a shallow themepark wow clone.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

It is not blind. Most of us labeled ThemePark haters have played the original sandbox MMOs and all the generic ThemePark MMOs and found them lacking.

I have personally played WoW, AoC, WAR, Aion, TERA and GW 2 and all of them have had the same flaws. Linear, simplistic and lack of living, breathing virtual world and instead artifical level bracketted zones which you follow in linear fashion from lvl 1 to cap.

you have not played ESO, we still don't know a lot about what the final product will actually be and you say to hate it because it's a themepark.. yea id' call that blind hatred towards themeparks... just because you haven't found one fun for you doesn't mean it won't happen.. you never know. I'd rather keep an open mind than just hate for the sake of hating on something...

butting in here. Dislike of the for themepark mmos has developed of the past 4 years or so, and for good reason.

At the same time, I'm a gamer, and love good games and systems. I wont know until I feel it, but the TESO combat and itemization systems seem like a welcome addition to the themepark sub genre. For this I will be giving it ago. It will have to be damn good in order to have staying power though.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

I don't care what people say on this site (includes me to others), I'll keep my eye on things, that seem to be interesting to me. I think the hate wagon really starts after the game is released - see AoC, SWTOR, TSW and so on, some of them earn it, some don't.

Also I have to say your WoW example is pretty pitiful, and I'm actually waiting for TES:O with a beta app in.

You can call it swiss cheese if you want, does not make it so. I dont hate ThemeParks because I like hating, that makes no sense at all. I hate it because I have seen how it reduces a virtual world massively multiplayer experience, the original idea, to a single/limited multiplayer type of game which is has no virtual world feeling at all and tries to separate the playerbase into instances, brackets and PvP zones, rather than bring them together.

It cheapens the experience for a quick thrill and that is why I have grown to hate it and specially a game like Skyrim, which follows the open world, non linear, sandbox philosophy is reduced to yet another ThemePark. And I dont need to wait for the release to assume that because all signs are pointing to it, even an MMORPG staff who said the game is a ThemePark.

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165

I don't get where all the hate is coming from. I think the game looks good. I've been playing MMO's since the first week UO was launched and have played many different once ever since. The two I played the longest were UO and DAoC.

From what I can tell, this game looks like it's going to be a mix of DAoC with a splash of WoW/RIFT/LOTRO thrown in. I don't have an issue with that. Give us some decent PVE with a good 3 faction PVP... sounds awesome!

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

My complaints with ESO are over fairly basic issues.  The butchering of the background lore of the world to easily fit the three faction system.  The combat animations that don't have much weight, ie, the huge sword hit that elicits no reaction from your foe.

Otherwise, it may be quite well done, but I don't think anyone really knows.  Certain 'true believers' will be unhappy since they want one very narrow type of game play.   But ESO is going to be a DAoC clone.  What I find amusing is that for years I have heard folks complain about the lack of a DAoC type game, one that supposedly had the best RvR pvp.  Here it is.

I suspect that one advantage to Bethesda of this ESO mmo, is the advantage of a ton of art assets that can be scavenged for use in upcoming new TES games.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

This discussion has been closed.