Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: The most influential mmorpg of 2012

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

Exactly. When I read the OPs post I was wondering if he even knew what influential means. So far I have seen nothing to indicate the GW 2 has influenced other games to do what GW 2 did. And keep in mind that Dynamic Events was done by Rift and then WAR before so GW 2 cannot take credit for that.

However GW 2 is popular but so is McDonalds. Does not mean that it is high quality or even innovative. It simply means that it is catering to a great deal of people. The B2P model is probably what caters to most people as I strongly doubt it would be half as popular if it was subscription based. 

We don't know. I wouldn't call GW2 McDonalds (that would be WoW with the number of people served over time). Rift events are not dynamic, even though they call it that, as they are timed. The same time every day you can expect X rift invasion, etc. They are not even linked, as GW2's are. WAR was similar to Rift so I wouldn't really call them dynamic.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

Exactly. When I read the OPs post I was wondering if he even knew what influential means. So far I have seen nothing to indicate the GW 2 has influenced other games to do what GW 2 did. And keep in mind that Dynamic Events was done by Rift and then WAR before so GW 2 cannot take credit for that.

However GW 2 is popular but so is McDonalds. Does not mean that it is high quality or even innovative. It simply means that it is catering to a great deal of people. The B2P model is probably what caters to most people as I strongly doubt it would be half as popular if it was subscription based. 

wow the McDonalds analogy haven't seen that 5 million times already.. if McDonalds sold crap in a bag literally would it be popular? no of course not.. the food tastes good to millions of people that is why it's popular. GW2 is a fun game and that is why it is selling well and doing well.. not that hard to figure out.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

wow the McDonalds analogy haven't seen that 5 million times already.. if McDonalds sold crap in a bag literally would it be popular? no of course not.. the food tastes good to millions of people that is why it's popular. GW2 is a fun game and that is why it is selling well and doing well.. not that hard to figure out.

People dont eat mcdonalds because it's good, it's because it's ok food that is cheap.  You can ask anyone, if they want to endulge in good food, mcdonalds would not be the first thing on their mind.  That's how it is with GW2, an ok game with no subscriptions, people would flock to that just like everyone flocked back to Stars Wars, TERA when it went free to play.  It's human nature, why pay for something when you dont have to.

Originally posted by vandal5627

People dont eat mcdonalds because it's good, it's because it's ok food that is cheap.  You can ask anyone, if they want to endulge in good food, mcdonalds would not be the first thing on their mind.  That's how it is with GW2, an ok game with no subscriptions, people would flock to that just like everyone flocked back to Stars Wars, TERA when it went free to play.  It's human nature, why pay for something when you dont have to.

mcdonalds is not cheap really anymore though unless you eat off the dollar menu.. it costs me only a few bucks more to eat at a restaurant nowadays.. it's a convenience thing for sure, but there are TONS of fast food around if people didn't enjoy the taste they wouldn't still be around in such an abundance as they are

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I would say not.  While I think it is the biggest game in 2012, I'm not sure if it will prove to be influential.  Nobody at this point can say, one way or another.  It will all depend on games coming out in the next couple of years which trace their game mechanics/philosophy(or whatever you call it) back to GW2.  Biggest game does not directly or indirectly equate to influence.

I self identify as a monkey.

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205

Well he said the most influential mmorpg of the 2012, not all time. But like said, it was just a theme park. 

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I'll admit GW2 did infuence me...to go play something else.

Glad the rest of the fans enjoy it tho. Just to zergy for me.

mcdonalds is not cheap really anymore though unless you eat off the dollar menu.. it costs me only a few bucks more to eat at a restaurant nowadays.. it's a convenience thing for sure, but there are TONS of fast food around if people didn't enjoy the taste they wouldn't still be around in such an abundance as they are

It's still one of the cheapest restaurants for your money, that's the point of all these fast food restaurants.  You get the bang for your buck.  For 5 bucks you can get twice as much food as you would get with 5 bucks at better quality restaurants.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by botrytis

I can't see any other game, from last year, that other companies will be influenced by. I am happy that there is no trinity as I am bored to death with that simplified game mechanic. It was used a crutch for too long.

How on earth is all-dps more complex than the trinity? 

you are clueless...

utterly clueless...

there is no 'all dps' class, except maybe the thief.

Oh you funny person, you should totally be a comedian. Alot of people actually do find McDonalds food quite good, funny enough I'm not one of them, but the majority of the people that love McDonalds, when I ask them why do they get McD cause they just love it. Talking about cheap food, here in Australia you can get the cheapest food from the super markets instead going to McDonalds but you still see people lining up for it. GW2 was popular not just because of the dynamic system, you are forgetting the combat system, thats the only thing I loved about it, gave me such thrills until you master them, it gets dull. it was high quality in storyline *for me that is* and graphic, and they are innovative for their combat system and the dungeon "story related" system. Well said, it was just a theme park.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster

I can't see any other game, from last year, that other companies will be influenced by. I am happy that there is no trinity as I am bored to death with that simplified game mechanic. It was used a crutch for too long.

Isn't the homogonization of classes into builds that can complete every task necessary in groups just as boring?

isn't the "OHH look I can tank" - "ooh look I can heal "- "ooh look I can DPS",  a little simple minded?

The classes aren't homogenized as much as they cross over a bit - it is just a different way to play.

Right, which is why I'm questioning how one could possibly be less boring than the other, aside from being over exposed. They're essentially the same thing, other than being divided by classes into more specific roles or having a majority of jobs contained within one another.

i find it more fun to have support/cc divided among all classes, like it GW2, as oppossed to some games where everyones role is much more set in stone.

synergy is important in GW2. doing what the guide says is how the others work.

group synergy is way more fun than 'tank and spank'.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

It's not all-dps... it's all-cc/dps with everything else you can combine if you're good enough to do it.

The skills you have can be combined to achieve even powerful skill combos and as such you actually need to learn how to use the skills in proper moments to get most out of your class to help the group.

It's far more complex when everyone in the party has to be mindfull of the enviroment, aware enough not to make mistakes which can cost your group a repair bill and skilled enough to combine attacks in order to achieve maximum.

Now, do you see where the complexity lies in?

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Originally posted by ucidaitaci

Oh you funny person, you should totally be a comedian. Alot of people actually do find McDonalds food quite good, funny enough I'm not one of them, but the majority of the people that love McDonalds, when I ask them why do they get McD cause they just love it. Talking about cheap food, here in Australia you can get the cheapest food from the super markets instead going to McDonalds but you still see people lining up for it. GW2 was popular not just because of the dynamic system, you are forgetting the combat system, thats the only thing I loved about it, gave me such thrills until you master them, it gets dull. it was high quality in storyline *for me that is* and graphic, and they are innovative for their combat system and the dungeon "story related" system. Well said, it was just a theme park.

It's good because it's cheap :) You gonna tell me if someone had a choice between a 5 star restaurant and mcdonalds they gonna choose mcdonalds?  People can afford mcdonalds every day, but they definitely can't afford a 5 star restaurant every day.

Originally posted by korent1991

I know, you'll google later and see how wrong you were...

It's not all-dps... it's all-cc/dps with everything else you can combine if you're good enough to do it.

The skills you have can be combined to achieve even powerful skill combos and as such you actually need to learn how to use the skills in proper moments to get most out of your class to help the group.

It's far more complex when everyone in the party has to be mindfull of the enviroment, aware enough not to make mistakes which can cost your group a repair bill and skilled enough to combine attacks in order to achieve maximum.

my mesmer can pull off some incredible feats playing mostly support.. flexability in this game is key to enjoying the combat imho.. if you just play dps you probably will get bored..

I think the OP sees ESO getting all the attention so he's trying to get some traffic for GW2 so it can ba back on top again. :)

No it's just preparation on calling ESO a GW2 clone.

If it is not the first came of it's kind then it is a clone - I think that is what heters think. So, ESO will be a WoW, TERA, GW2, TSW, and SWTOR clone  :-)

You need to do some research on what the word clone means sir :)

A group of organisms or cells produced asexually from one ancestor or stock, to which they are genetically identical. I don't think anything is WoW cloned if that's the case, they'll have everything the same, including the npcs and the storyline. It was more like "Inspired". If it was the case, wouldn't World of Warcraft be a "Clone" of the Ultima online or the Realm online which was produced in the 1996, and more similar to WoW, don't forget Everquest. And since WoW was released in the 2004, it should be the "Clone of the early MMORPGs". God! stop being so illiterate people.

It's good because it's cheap :) You gonna tell me if someone had a choice between a 5 star restaurant and mcdonalds they gonna choose mcdonalds?  People can afford mcdonalds every day, but they definitely can't afford a 5 star restaurant every day.

I don't really know where you are from. But literally, I mean literally these people find McDonalds "taste good", I'm not even joking. My GF's friend actually prefers Mcdonalds food than any others which includes fancy foods regardless they are affordable or not to her, which quite disturb me. 

I don't really know where you are from. But literally, I mean literally these people find McDonalds "taste good", I'm not even joking. My GF's friend actually prefers Mcdonalds food than any others which includes fancy foods regardless they are affordable or not to her, which quite disturb me. 

your GF and most kids in america:) most people i know love the taste of mcdonalds.. i love the taste of it myself but i try not to eat it just because i don't eat much processed foods

Originally posted by korent1991

I know, you'll google later and see how wrong you were...

my mesmer can pull off some incredible feats playing mostly support.. flexability in this game is key to enjoying the combat imho.. if you just play dps you probably will get bored..

Man I just love arguing, this is fun.  Boxsnd is the type of person who just love to play a game where he can just sit around and spam skills without moving much, if he dies he can blame it on others such as the healer for not doing their job properly. Compare that to the GW2 Combat system, where you got to watch your own back because theres no direct healer that can heal you where ever you are and just focus on you. You gotta move alot, dodge often. I loved playing my Guardian as a tank and support, I mean we can heal, but it's not a focus heal, you got to be standing next to me to get healed, hence more moving. Compare that to the trinity.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Was gw2 the most influencial MMO? NO, here is why: What is the next Big MMO coming? TESO,  There is something like GW2 in that game, or GW2 influence?. NO.  Even better, we will have gw2 influence in the  MMOs coming this year, and the next one?, NO, i wonder why.  
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

You see my sig? That's a quote from OP...

Anet found a message for a market of people like OP. Good for Anet, good for OP. 

I pray this is not he direction of mmorpgs though, and by the looks of the 2013 mmorpg lineup it will not be.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97

I fail to really see what GW2 could influence since, despite the 'most innovative' awards that are thrown at it, it really did not do anything all that innovative.  Hearts are just quests by a different name, dynamic events have been done before equally as well.  

Two areas where it might make a difference: -

1) TRINITY

There is the absence of the trinity, and I think if GW2 has any real influence it will be that games are more likely to retain the trinity in one form or another in the future.  

2) POLISH

It appears that if you polish a turd you can sell it in huge numbers.  

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

This is a pretty loaded topic.

Influential, influential to who?  Influential to developers?

Is it to be believed that Guild Wars 2's buy to play format influenced Funcom's decision to make The Secret Wrold buy to play... or might Funcom have gone with a subscription model at launch regardless of Guild Wars 2?

Influential to fans?  So are fans going to start asking for Guild Wars 2 clones?  Or are we going to continue seeing World of Warcraft clones pop out.  Guild Wars 2 did well in sales... it roughly matches SWTOR's sales.  Would we think that SWTOR was the most influential game of 2011 then?

This world "influential" can really mean whatever the hell you want it to.

When you break down Guild Wars 2's features they're the same as other MMOs of previous.  Their success was in marketing a product and combining these features in such a way to please fans.  As well by not making it subscription based the 1M or so people who only played for a month and quit weren't running aroud nagging about how terrible the game was and how it's not worth a sub.

Or maybe we mean by influential as in influential on Blizzard who are notorious for soaking up features from other games to attract players back to their game.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Isn't the homogonization of classes into builds that can complete every task necessary in groups just as boring?

I'd say yes, but apparently, 'no trinty', as a given is a good thing, to some people....

If any companies are going to be influnced by ANET and GW2 I'd say there most outstanding contribution to the genre is marketing on a budget.  Actually is a laughable simple strategy:

Step One: Search forums were jaded MMO players spend time and see what words they use most to describe why they hate most offerings in the market now, fully aware that if certain people complain constantly they really just want to love again.

Step Two: Make a video, not stating specifics, but saying your game is going to be the opposite of those things everyone hates and will be superduper awesome, while at the same time trying to pretend that your just like those poor jaded players but in reality have better teeth and don't live with your parents.

Step Three: Jaded people will watch and fall in love, then you can sit back and let them convert everyone else to your game. KAching!!! 3miliion sales later!

Step Four(Optional): Ban anyone who exploits and never admit a mistake. Game is great right? Why would we make a mistake?!?!

The rest of the games, 'features', are actually adaptions of other elements of other games, (Dynamic Events=PQs WAR Rift, Races/starting areas=Azeroth, Instanced PVP=WoW, Crafting=WoW/EQ2, etc,etc).  The only things I would say are unique is the skill/weapon system, (although I think I did play a Korean MMO that had different wepaon skills on equip, not sure though) and the downed state and neither of them are the games finest hour.  If you can do everything then that doesn't make many classes unique long term.  You know somethings wrong with this when every Warrior, Guardian, Hunter, Thief, Necro whatever is running around with all signet skills, because that makes it, 'best', to level. 

To be fair I don't mind GW2, but it's wafer thin to me and only has a few tricks in it's repertoire and once you've seen them your unlikely to want to see them again. Okay game, just nowhere near the ANET lovers hype.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Omnifish

I'd say yes, but apparently, 'no trinty', as a given is a good thing, to some people....

If any companies are going to be influnced by ANET and GW2 I'd say there most outstanding contribution to the genre is marketing on a budget.  Actually is a laughable simple strategy:

Step One: Search forums were jaded MMO players spend time and see what words they use most to describe why they hate most offerings in the market now, fully aware that if certain people complain constantly they really just want to love again.

Step Two: Make a video, not stating specifics, but saying your game is going to be the opposite of those things everyone hates and will be superduper awesome, while at the same time trying to pretend that your just like those poor jaded players but in reality have better teeth and don't live with your parents.

Step Three: Jaded people will watch and fall in love, then you can sit back and let them convert everyone else to your game. KAching!!! 3miliion sales later!

Step Four(Optional): Ban anyone who exploits and never admit a mistake. Game is great right? Why would we make a mistake?!?!

The rest of the games, 'features', are actually adaptions of other elements of other games, (Dynamic Events=PQs WAR Rift, Races/starting areas=Azeroth, Instanced PVP=WoW, Crafting=WoW/EQ2, etc,etc).  The only things I would say are unique is the skill/weapon system, (although I think I did play a Korean MMO that had different wepaon skills on equip, not sure though) and the downed state and neither of them are the games finest hour.  If you can do everything then that doesn't make many classes unique long term.  You know somethings wrong with this when every Warrior, Guardian, Hunter, Thief, Necro whatever is running around with all signet skills, because that makes it, 'best', to level. 

To be fair I don't mind GW2, but it's wafer thin to me and only has a few tricks in it's repertoire and once you've seen them your unlikely to want to see them again. Okay game, just nowhere near the ANET lovers hype.

Don't forget to say, IMO - because in people who like GW2 - they think the opposite. And my opinion is the only one that matters to me!!

As far as exploiters, etc - read the EULA, it clearly states the ban hammer will come out if you use an exploit - PERIOD.  It happens with other companies also but since A.Net is B2P you figure they will let it go I guess.

Sure....it taste good because it saves money in their pockets. :)