Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone like any mmo?

Comments

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Just like the people who claim to hate "reality" shows like Jersey Shore and Buckwild on MTV, yet get all giddy and giggle like school girls when they sit down to watch and comment on the recent episode..

It's really hard to gauge "hate" on the internet.. Sometimes an ulterior motive could make it more convenient to dislike something.. Say, like being a fan of another game..

• nalovasnalovas Member UncommonPosts: 3

I'm a 80/20 PvP/PVEer that's been looking for a new home ever since EA forced me from UO circa 2001.  It seems PvPers are a group most companies aren't interested in.  Most MMO's I find unappealing or are deleted quickly.  The best I've found lately is Guildwars2 for its WvW action.   I like the idea of fighting for a cause that's greater than me, in this instance it's control of part of the PvP world for the home server (at least until someone takes it from us).  It's far from perfect but it's the most fun I've found in a while.   I don't know why it's so hard to find these things in a game:

1. Freedom
    2. Death means something
    3. Skill trumps gear
    4. Balanced classes in PvP
    5. Complex combat system which requires planning, guile and timing besides just brute force
    6. Reasonable grind
    7. Originality
    Though not a utopia, I am hyped for Archeage.  It seems to incorporate many things I've been looking for.  This 38 second video on siege warfare looks very exciting.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-sXKbka_Rbc
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by XAPGames
    Originally posted by eccoton
     So I have a simple question, since so many here claim to love mmos but few seem to like any current mmos. 

I think you answered for me in this sentence.  I find I'm more comfortable in older games because I prefer the design.

I can handle quest hub hopping as long as it's not the only thing to do in a game.  Add linear storyline mode and I have zero interest.  Easiest way to illustrate the difference is the Cata rework of Azeroth.  Some loved it, many games have copied it, but frankly it trashed the gameplay experience for me.  Pretty much the same for the WotLK expansion.

You mean destroying 60% of you of your trillion dollar game is a bad idea?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I like turtles.

Also, I like The Secret World.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    I'm still playing UO on a daily basis, trying to determine how something that was released over fifteen years ago has managed to trump such technologically advanced games in the simplicity of their design, while providing the tools necessary to keep people playing as long as we have.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    No, I do not like mmo's.  None of them will meet my standards until they start selling graphic capable computers to everyone, including the poor.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

I play Vindictus for the combat system and hope a similar combat system is used in a large MMO. Also played EQ2 for many years because the game had so much potential at one point but SoE just squandered it. Probably time to walk away at this point.

Other games I enjoyed were SWG and lineage II. Other than that I can't stand the WoW clones like Rift.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by Novusod

I play Vindictus for the combat system and hope a similar combat system is used in a large MMO. Also played EQ2 for many years because the game had so much potential at one point but SoE just squandered it. Probably time to walk away at this point.

Other games I enjoyed were SWG and lineage II. Other than that I can't stand the WoW clones like Rift.

I still play EQ2 got my 8 year veteran reward. The game has change mostly for the better but SOE has done some stupid things with it as well. Going on my 17th year playing mmos I have learned to roll with the changes of games I like. As long as I feel I am getting my money worth I stay if not I move on. I have learned not to make even my favorite games so precious that I will not leave or cry over the changes. SWG was my favorite mmo ever but when nge hit I left later that day and never looked back I just moved on.

I disagree with your feelings about Rift, I really like it. I played WOW for 7 years and while Rift is similar I get a different experience from it so I do not feel like I am playing a clone but I can see why many feel he way you do about it. Right now Rift is my second favorite mmo after EQ2. I am always looking for a game to replace EQ2 so I hope the next years bring some fresh experiences but I say that every year. 

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

1) LOVED vanilla WoW

2) Really liked CoH

3) Loved the playstyle from WAR (needed 3 factions)

4) Liked SWTOR, but not enough for the sub fee

4.1) Liked EvE, but prefer characters interacting with each other

5) Tried to like MO

6) Tried to like LOTR

7)Tried to like GW2

8) A variety of mmo's not worth remembering.

9) Wish I had been into MMO's in EQ1 days, AC, and missed DAoC (played a friends account for a while but was busy with school so wasnt worth the investment at the time)

10) hated CO

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster
    I'm still playing UO on a daily basis, trying to determine how something that was released over fifteen years ago has managed to trump such technologically advanced games in the simplicity of their design, while providing the tools necessary to keep people playing as long as we have.

This ..............  +1 .. ive been playing UO since its launch .. still the best MMO out there imo..

I enjoy Vanguard

EQ2 was a lot of fun for a long time...

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    I liked most of the MMOs I played while I played them. EQ for 2 years, DAoC for 2 years, then EQ2 about 4-5 years. Since then no MMO kept me entertained for more than 1-3 months. Most of them were still fun, but for a short time only.
  • ecla2ecla2 Member Posts: 5
     Does anyone actually like any of the current mmos? I actually like, EQ2, Rift, GW2, WOW, and a few more. You do not need to tell my why I am wrong in liking these games just tell me what current mmos you like if any. I am just curious.

I don't play MMOs anymore but I'm looking to get back into them come Sep. or so when I will have more time. 

I have noticed there does seem to be a general angsty gestalt vibe here on this site.  People are waiting for the Next Big Thing, 'twould seem.

Also: don't be fooled by basher posts that seem a bit too articulate and polished.  Those are probl'y written by paid pros doing negative marketing.

Overly-pretentious verbose narcissistic verbiage goes here

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    I have been comnig to mmorpg.com for years now and never before have some many members disliked so many mmos. I use to post a lot here but the last couple years I have stepped back due to the fact that if you liked any mmo you were attacked about your support of it. It is then explained in detail why you were wrong for liking it and that you were brain washed by the developers. If you go to any of the forums for any of the top rates games it seems the majority of post dislike the game. So I have a simple question, since so many here claim to love mmos but few seem to like any current mmos. Does anyone actually like any of the current mmos? I actually like, EQ2, Rift, GW2, WOW, and a few more. You do not need to tell my why I am wrong in liking these games just tell me what current mmos you like if any. I am just curious.

Im a gamer first and foremost for over 20+ years.  I love games. period.  There are not ones I dislike just ones that get played less :-)

In terms of MMOs, with the slew of F2P AAA titles I am having a blast.  Currently playing:

GW2

SWTOR

TSW

EQ

WOW

Soon to add TERA in February.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by ecla2
     Does anyone actually like any of the current mmos? I actually like, EQ2, Rift, GW2, WOW, and a few more. You do not need to tell my why I am wrong in liking these games just tell me what current mmos you like if any. I am just curious.

(edited)

Also: don't be fooled by basher posts that seem a bit too articulate and polished.  Those are probl'y written by paid pros doing negative marketing.

Talk about conspiracy theories - WOW - back off from the kool aid!!  I don't think this forum is big enough for anything like that to happen. 

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I like to play a lot of different MMOs.

I love Mortal Online.  Not perfect, but love the type of gameplay it offers.

Really like TSW as well.

Also enjoy STO, CO, EvE, LOTRO, and a bunch of others.

As far as upcoming games are concerned, Neverwinter, Age of Wushu, Defiance, and Elder Scrolls Online all look promising as well.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Originally posted by Rohn

Really like TSW as well.

As far as upcoming games are concerned, Neverwinter, Age of Wushu, Defiance, and Elder Scrolls Online all look promising as well.

I gave TSW a try but it never got me. I thought it was an impressive product but just did not grab me. I only played a couple days but usually I know pretty fast if I will really like it.

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97
    Nothing recent with the exception of P101 which I can play very casually.  I am not sure if mmo's got worse or if my tastes changed, but there are very few recent mmo's that have held my attention for more than a couple of weeks.  
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    I have been comnig to mmorpg.com for years now and never before have some many members disliked so many mmos. I use to post a lot here but the last couple years I have stepped back due to the fact that if you liked any mmo you were attacked about your support of it. It is then explained in detail why you were wrong for liking it and that you were brain washed by the developers. If you go to any of the forums for any of the top rates games it seems the majority of post dislike the game. So I have a simple question, since so many here claim to love mmos but few seem to like any current mmos. Does anyone actually like any of the current mmos? I actually like, EQ2, Rift, GW2, WOW, and a few more. You do not need to tell my why I am wrong in liking these games just tell me what current mmos you like if any. I am just curious.

Im a gamer first and foremost for over 20+ years.  I love games. period.  There are not ones I dislike just ones that get played less :-)

In terms of MMOs, with the slew of F2P AAA titles I am having a blast.  Currently playing:

GW2

SWTOR

TSW

EQ

WOW

Soon to add TERA in February.

I am also a gamer but love mmos. I go back a bit further then 20 years. it is 40 years for me. 1972 the first home video game system Magnavox Odyssey I begged my parents for one. I was hooked! Then I went through to golden age of arcades from about 1974 to 1984. I have loved games and owned almost every home system. However, it was 1996 when I tried a little know game at the time Meridian 59 and that is when I caught the mmo bug and I have played most of them since.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    in recent years games that held me longest were Rift and GW2.. Rift for 9 months and GW2 from 1st BWE and still currently playing.. looking forward to several upcoming games in 2013 including FFXIV RR, Blade & Soul, The repopulation, star citizen, wildstar, Neverwinter Online, ESO... i pretty much play them all but only a select few keep me playing for long though:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

As far as mmo's there's a number of them I may dabble with here and there throughout the year.Game's like EQ2,Rift,AC2 (since it reopened) and TSW.The game's I tend to spend more time in are Swtor,Lotro and UO.

I'm also giving POE a try,it look's great and I like the skill tree.Probably dabble with Tera also next month.

As you can see I like to play a multiple of mmo's (ftp/btp really allow's for this) but the main one's are Swtor,Lotro and UO.

Edit to add that I also played WOW alot and played GW2.At this point I think I'm done with WOW for good and I'll play GW2 some more later in the year.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Really like TSW as well.

I gave TSW a try but it never got me. I thought it was an impressive product but just did not grab me. I only played a couple days but usually I know pretty fast if I will really like it.

That would be expected. Different people like different games. I like STO much better than Eve, and i know some people are the reverse.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Really like TSW as well.

That would be expected. Different people like different games. I like STO much better than Eve, and i know some people are the reverse.

Very well stated.  There are those, unfortunately, that simply can't believe that other people enjoy a game that they don't, and vice versa.

I try to enjoy them for what they are, instead of hating them for what they're not.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ariasaitchoariasaitcho Member UncommonPosts: 112

I'm a player of the much maligned F2P games and the only game worth playing right now among those titels is the yet NA unreleased version of Lime Odyessy. I was one of the (very) lucky few who got to participate in both Alpha Tests and I thought it was a very fun game. Nothing else out there has held my interest fo more than a week or two at most.

Why only F2P? Because I simply do not make enough money to be able to afford paying out more money every month. I can afford to buy a game card every 2-3 months so that's what I do.

• MeriliremMerilirem Member Posts: 77
    I like shin megami tensei online aka megaten, but I don't play it. It has nice features and I like the feel but like everything it lacks in so many other ways. So while I do "like" a couple games, I don't play them anymore. I have tried every mmo and continue to try them as they come out. However none have managed to correct the simple universal problems I've come to expect. Personal optimism about upcoming games aside, I can't say I would endorse anything as good or worth playing for entertainment. All games except maybe some single player fps games are dreadfully dull to me ATM. I miss the days before I knew how limited the market was, back when I thought wow so awesome lol.

If a butterfly learnt to speak, to live in human society, paid its bills, had a job, lived in a fancy house and married a human, is it human?

Now what if that same butterfly knew how to write code better than any human and had years of experience in the game industry, would that make it a game designer?

If u wouldn't let a construction worker design your house, then why let a programmer design your world?

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I like just about any MMO, but there are some that I'd rather play more than others.