Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want a pod racer!

BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Haven't really been interested in much in the cartel market untill this speeder appeared today , haven't received my stipend though this month and I think I might want to wait untill it has a disscount. Still who wants one of these ? 1800 CC is a bit expensive though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vB_1mObGGpI

It's called The Czerka CR-17 Incendia Speeder.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
"SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    If we're going to have these huge monstrosities in game then there need to be some place for players to race them.As for me, still not interested in what the cartel market is selling. Why would I want to ride in something that is a constant reminder of one of the worse movies in the Star Wars saga? What's next? A packet of midichlorians?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Podracing does not exist in this point in the timeline.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Podracing does not exist in this point in the timeline.

I'm sure racing to some extent does. To have a mini game that involves the mounts currently in a game in some form of racing would be quite cool.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    It would be like watching a turtle race, the mounts ain't exactly fast.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    It would be like watching a turtle race, the mounts ain't exactly fast.

Be fair, it would be more like 2 old ladies racing mobility scooters.

i would prefer the ability to sit in chairs and play sabaac/pazaak in social areas than podracing

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

You realize that this thread is going to eventually devolve into a discusion of pay-to-win creep.

You may want to start defending the $18 per charcter , increased knock-off protection, fastest mount available cash shop purchasable item now.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

You realize that this thread is going to eventually devolve into a discusion of pay-to-win creep.

You may want to start defending the $18 per charcter , increased knock-off protection, fastest mount available cash shop purchasable item now.

I'm not goin to defend the price as i have allready said it's a bit expensive. The fastest mount , well that is a bit much I guess. Cash shop only indeed. None of those things relate to pay 2 win though , as the increased knock-off protection has allready been tested in section-x in the thread below and thus won't impact PVP much if at all really.

One user is leaving because of the speeder , which to my mind is taking it a little far really , it's only a vanity mount.

This thread was just really a simple discussion about pod racing mobillity scooters really :)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=589408

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.

It wouldn't be the first time a label was thrown around here by someone that didn't even know what the word actually means. 

Originally posted by ktanner3

It wouldn't be the first time a label was thrown around here by someone that didn't even know what the word actually means. 

By all means, tell me how I've erred. Notice the term creep, incrementally getting closer to pay-2-win in small steps.

Is this Pay-2-Win?; not really, does it tke the cash shop another baby step closer? Pretty much.

Am I going to loose sleep if ToR's fans enjoy it and buy it? Nope.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Looks pretty much Pay to Win, regardless of how minor the upgrade over anything obtainable in-game.  Slightly better is still Pay to Win, and now EA is pushing their cashshop in everyones face to buy even the slightest bit of content.

It's exceptional boost against knockoffs may not work in section X, but having it work everywhere else is an insult to legitimate MMORPG players who believe in actually playing a game to obtain game rewards.

This will likely fall on deaf ears, since people are still claiming that buying high-end ship parts isn't Pay to Win, nor is buying the upcoming reputations instead of legitimately earning them in-game.  Not that I play WoW anymore, but it's little stuff like this that keep WoW #1, and SWTOR somewhere lower.  EA drops the ball again?

The fun just gets sucked out of a game when someone can just use real money to buy the best instead of working for it out of enjoyment for the game.  Small boosts or not, the end result to me is about the same - declining interest as a non-cashshop player.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

This is a precursor to the next Operation. It's scheduled to be called Gungan Dominance. IN the past the gungans were a super advanced race of tyrants. They show up and you have to close the portal to their dimension. The boss is a 50 foot tall gungan with a terrifying floppy ear attack!

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Originally posted by ignore_me

This is a precursor to the next Operation. It's scheduled to be called Gungan Dominance. IN the past the gungans were a super advanced race of tyrants. They show up and you have to close the portal to their dimension. The boss is a 50 foot tall gungan with a terrifying floppy ear attack!

Throw in the chance to kill ewoks and I'd never leave the game ;)

The thing is, if you take the word gungan out, my entry fits the formula. Glad youre having fun though :)

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

You know what it is. Its that SWTOR is billing itself as this dramatic story based MMO.  I buy that.  But then they start to add MMO nuances that dont fit.   It looks wierd to be walking around the Imperial Capital city and someone goes by with a baby tauntaun pet.  In WoW this works.  Its part of the game's aesthetic.  But seeing a pod racer skirting around in a building is an immersion breaker.

Not sure is SWTOR wants to be a true MMO or a specialized one focusing on Story.  But the two definitely dont mix for me.

The thing is, if you take the word gungan out, my entry fits the formula. Glad youre having fun though :)

A 50 foot tall Ewok is a helluva lot scarier than a 50 foot tall Gungan.  Perhaps the Ewok could be the nightmare version?

Originally posted by Karteli

Looks pretty much Pay to Win, regardless of how minor the upgrade over anything obtainable in-game.  Slightly better is still Pay to Win, and now EA is pushing their cashshop in everyones face to buy even the slightest bit of content.

It's exceptional boost against knockoffs may not work in section X, but having it work everywhere else is an insult to legitimate MMORPG players who believe in actually playing a game to obtain game rewards.

This will likely fall on deaf ears, since people are still claiming that buying high-end ship parts isn't Pay to Win, nor is buying the upcoming reputations instead of legitimately earning them in-game.  Not that I play WoW anymore, but it's little stuff like this that keep WoW #1, and SWTOR somewhere lower.  EA drops the ball again?

The fun just gets sucked out of a game when someone can just use real money to buy the best instead of working for it out of enjoyment for the game.  Small boosts or not, the end result to me is about the same - declining interest as a non-cashshop player.

There is another in-game rewarded speeder which has better protection against knock-offs and you will still get knocked off in other places not just section x. Those ship parts are also available to obtain in-game which is therefore not P2W. Try again ?

BTW i'm not denying that the fact it is the fastest speeder and only obtainable through spending real money ( well and the GTN if someone sells one ) , but really "my speeder is faster than yours by nano seconds thus I have payed 2 win" , doesn't really cut it .

Cheers,

BadOrb.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

If someone can level faster than you how does that make it pay to win?   Are you competing against the other players in PvE (outside of PvP?).

Time should never be seen as an advantage. Its a convenience.

Pay 2 Win for me is when I can buy 'Lightsaber of Awesome Death' and there is no in-game way for me to obtain it.

Obviously when looking at PvP things change, but the concept of trying to balance a conflict so everyone is equal is an oxy moron to me.   What kills PvP is today people can just go on the internet and look up how to make the best build.  It was more fun when you were left to your own devices to learn the hard way.  By losing.

A 50 foot tall Ewok is a helluva lot scarier than a 50 foot tall Gungan.  Perhaps the Ewok could be the nightmare version?

Long as the Ewok isn't pink  with wings. Then my character would die from laughter. 

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Those would be cool.... if there was a pod racing minigame... maybe with customizable pod racers.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

Originally posted by BadOrb

There is another in-game rewarded speeder which has better protection against knock-offs and you will still get knocked off in other places not just section x. Those ship parts are also available to obtain in-game which is therefore not P2W. Try again ?

BTW i'm not denying that the fact it is the fastest speeder and only obtainable through spending real money ( well and the GTN if someone sells one ) , but really "my speeder is faster than yours by nano seconds thus I have payed 2 win" , doesn't really cut it .

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Red: And this in-game rewarded speeder which has better protection against knock-offs would be ... ? ??

On the other topic, I haven't seen any actual speed stats (just it's exceptional knockoff avoidance) on the pod speeder so I don't know if what you said was true.  But if the cashshop mount is the fastest then that would wreck havoc on PVP servers for those trying to flee an incoming opponent(s).  Made even worse by the soon to be released Ilum revamp, if it actually includes non instanced PVP, that is.

Long as the Ewok isn't pink  with wings. Then my character would die from laughter. 

touche'   That thing was an abomination :)

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

If someone can level faster than you how does that make it pay to win?   Are you competing against the other players in PvE (outside of PvP?).

Time should never be seen as an advantage. Its a convenience.

Pay 2 Win for me is when I can buy 'Lightsaber of Awesome Death' and there is no in-game way for me to obtain it.

Obviously when looking at PvP things change, but the concept of trying to balance a conflict so everyone is equal is an oxy moron to me.   What kills PvP is today people can just go on the internet and look up how to make the best build.  It was more fun when you were left to your own devices to learn the hard way.  By losing.

What you described is the actual definition of Pay To WIn. If it doesn't involve PVP, it isn't pay to win. Period.. 

What kills PVP in games is when Devs listen to the whiners who think their special character should dominate every one on one matchup. Some builds just aren't meant to be one on one. Some are suppose to be support classes and should stay that way.

Originally posted by BadOrb

Cheers,

BadOrb.

And this better speeder would be ... ?

On the other topic, I haven't seen any actual speed stats (just it's exceptional knockoff avoidance) on the pod speeder so I don't know if what you said was true.  But if the cashshop mount is the fastest then that would wreck havoc on PVP servers for those trying to flee an incoming opponent(s).  Made even worse by the soon to be released Ilum revamp, if it actually includes non instanced PVP, that is.

It's the Avalanche Heavy Tank (90% speed) and drops in the Nightmare Exposive Conflict operation , it used to be immune to knock-offs but now it's almost immune to knock-offs. Link to the drops in that Operation are below.

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/14/swtor-nightmare-exposive-conflict-ec-loot-table/

I think on the subject of PVP and the new speeder you might be right it might effect PVP and PVE ( to a certain extent , like getting to the node before some ninja , which sounds good in a way ). Hopefully they tested that out . One other thing they have ramped up the protection against knock-offs on all their cartel speeders ( hope that doesn't cause more arguments , but it seems that now makes a few speeders redundant , not the CE and DE ones it seems , just some NPC ones ).

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Yeah, I wasn't going to bring it up, but since you did,  there is that new thing where if you bought a cartel speeder:

"Players who have purchased vehicles via the Cartel Market will now find that their protection against being knocked off has been scaled up to Speeder Piloting III regardless of current Speeder Piloting level."

But if you didn't buy a cartel speeder, go fish.

Is this simple convenience (not really vanity since it is functional) or P2W creep?

I'm sure different people will have different opinions on the matter.

Yeah, I wasn't going to bring it up, but since you did,  there is that new thing where if you bought a cartel speeder:

"Players who have purchased vehicles via the Cartel Market will now find that their protection against being knocked off has been scaled up to Speeder Piloting III regardless of current Speeder Piloting level."

But if you didn't buy a cartel speeder, go fish.

Is this simple convenience (not really vanity since it is functional) or P2W creep?

I'm sure different people will have different opinions on the matter.

They are really cheap on the GTN though and many people have been complaining that they can't vendor such items , so now they can sell them. 

I do believe the game is getting easier though and that is a good example of it. i know of a few others like orange moddable items as heroic mission rewards ( which are very nice ) , various other things like speeder licenses at lower level. More that than P2W creep I feel.

Cheers,

BadOrb.