Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why this game was/will be a major disappointment for me

Comments

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

My opinion is very much like the OP. The announcement trailer did nothing for me, save for lowering my expectations and killing my excitement for a brand that I've supported since discovering it with Morrowind.

I am unable to identify any stand-out features that ESO is set to deliver. In my mind, it seems nothing more then a way for people to explore the world alongside friends, as if just existing virtually in and amongst the mythos is enough to not only appeal to the existing fans of the IP, but also to attract new subscribers in a previously untapped market.

Many of the features that make the single-player experience so enjoyable will not (and in some cases - albeit "cannot") be developed into an MMO. This is equal parts disappointing and understandable.

The  question could be asked: why bother? Why not continue to only develop the IP as it has been developed for so many years?

Having an ESO MMO does not preclude single-player game releases, obviously. But, if the OP's prediction comes true, the MMO could damage the IP's public opinion and drive away fans who were expecting revolutionary, but received something common.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Rekindle

1.  Paul Sage's video released back at the beginning of the announcement. Immediately, the video did not feel like a  hype video but a damage control video.  Nothing in the video convinced me that this would by a vision i could share in as an ESO.

2.  The cinematic trailer.  You wasted your money on a generic cinematic trailer.  The cinematic trailer for Ultima ONline is awesome but says/shows nothing about the game.  I personally feel fans would have been better served by a good game play video.  I think it should be clear what players want to see.  The fact you release this instead speaks volumes about the coming ineptedtude.

3.  Your sell out attitude.  Morrowind was revolutionary, Oblivion was decent, Skyrim (well, lets not talk about the pc verson).  This online game does not stand out, its not distinctive and nothing, absoutely nothing, about it is innovative.

4. What really seems to be happening here is someone has taken a box'd mmo and tryed to skin it as Elder scrolls.  I'm so sick of this and its why i only play Eve now.  They design the game then slap the IP on? Seriously?   This is suposed to be Elder Scrolls.  More generic crap with no thought put into creative character progression.   More levels? Seriously?  this has to be the new slogan for the game.

5.  I usually don't go out on the negative limb but from everything I see so far...The Elder Scrolls Online is off to a bad start and the company that you have implementing your generic MMO is completely and utterly releasing a generic mmo.

6.  This is not a vision of Elder Scrolls I can get behind.

You could go on treasure hunts and drop things on the ground in Ultima since launch, You of all people should have know Paul.

What a snooze fest!

I haven't been following ESO very closely but this "list" of problems needs to be looked at.

1. The video.  "Damage Control".  I honestly had no idea what you were talking about.  The only "damage" I saw were a few sprinklings of forum tears from people who eat developers for breakfast all the time anyway.  The only damage I see is from elitists in the MMO community who are determined to see this game fail because it's not exactly like Skyrim in MMO form.

2. The cinematic trailer.  Oh, yeah this is a sign that the game must be terrible.  Requesting a 'gameplay' video before the game is ready to be played is a strange request.

3. Sell out attitude.  It's an MMO so I'm not sure what kind of innovation the OP is asking for.  How about giving a suggestion of what types of innovations would be appropriate.  Are you suggesting that no company should even make an MMO if they can't re-invent the wheel?  As you mentioned in your 2nd point, perhaps you should wait to see some more actualy gameplay before assuming the game is nothing different.

4. Not sure how to summarize this 'point' since it's really just a repeat of #3 by saying that it's nothing new, generic, re-skinned, no meaningful progression MMO.  No real discussion points here, just a negative opinion without any substance, comparison to any other games that do it better.  How about an example? 

5. Again, not really a point but basically saying he doesn't like it (again).

If the OP is going to say the game is bland, not innovative and that he's just going to play EVE instead, there's no reason to even make a post about it, unless the OP would like to talk about a comparison to a game that is innovative, and a game that isn't bland and re-skin of other MMO's?  I'd love to hear of an MMO that gets it right in companirson to TESO, which clearly gets it 'wrong'.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Vayman
    If TESO was Exactly like tes single player it would hurt the series too. Why buy tes 6 set inside say elswher when you already have elswher in the mmo. Bethseda will want the mmo to be different to the single player, so people have a reason to play both games. as it should be we've all seen how shite solo orientated mmos like swtor are,
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

I rarely pay much attention to these types of doomsday opinion pieces.

I'll make up my own mind based on what I actually see of the game content when it's released.

Until then, I'll continue to play Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim while I wait for a beta invitation.

As a side note, I personally enjoyed their cinematic trailer.

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289

1.  Paul Sage's video released back at the beginning of the announcement. Immediately, the video did not feel like a  hype video but a damage control video.  Nothing in the video convinced me that this would by a vision i could share in as an ESO.

2.  The cinematic trailer.  You wasted your money on a generic cinematic trailer.  The cinematic trailer for Ultima ONline is awesome but says/shows nothing about the game.  I personally feel fans would have been better served by a good game play video.  I think it should be clear what players want to see.  The fact you release this instead speaks volumes about the coming ineptedtude.

3.  Your sell out attitude.  Morrowind was revolutionary, Oblivion was decent, Skyrim (well, lets not talk about the pc verson).  This online game does not stand out, its not distinctive and nothing, absoutely nothing, about it is innovative.

4. What really seems to be happening here is someone has taken a box'd mmo and tryed to skin it as Elder scrolls.  I'm so sick of this and its why i only play Eve now.  They design the game then slap the IP on? Seriously?   This is suposed to be Elder Scrolls.  More generic crap with no thought put into creative character progression.   More levels? Seriously?  this has to be the new slogan for the game.

5.  I usually don't go out on the negative limb but from everything I see so far...The Elder Scrolls Online is off to a bad start and the company that you have implementing your generic MMO is completely and utterly releasing a generic mmo.

You could go on treasure hunts and drop things on the ground in Ultima since launch, You of all people should have know Paul.

What a snooze fest!

This is just your opinion. It's not fact.

You add "was" into your title, funny enough, the game is not even out yet and you are already preaching doom for it. My only suggestion is to not bother with it if you feel so badly about it. All of your reasons are hardly reasons. I honestly think you just have the need to Troll.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    as it should be we've all seen how shite solo orientated mmos like swtor are,

How do you see this game being any more group focused then SWTOR, just outta interest?

Didn't they say you can solo all the way to cap? I am not a fanboy of this title so I haven't been reading that much about it.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    I can't wait for this the game. The lore is what interests me about ESO and all the elder scrolls games. It will have meaningful pvp where you can be emperor of cyrodill and the combat looks interesting too.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    The lore is what interests me about ESO and all the elder scrolls games. It will have meaningful pvp where you can be emperor of cyrodill

That's interesting... will the official lore reflect the epic era of the reign of the Emperor Pwnuhard?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

As much as you and I love the Elder scrolls franchise (especially morrowind) don't treat this game like the IP is.

This is just another MMO: That is what i tell myself. SO if anything does amaze me when i get to actually PLAY the game and FEEL how it works then its all happy smiles here. If it's mediocre and not my thing. Oh well, im certainly used to that these days.

As to the person who says Skyrim is the best elder scrolls game. I would say most disagree with that. Morrowind has the cult following that skyrim will never reach.

Skyrim has sold the most copies and is most replayed... a cult of followers is puny in size for morrowwind.  The game is dated and severly lacking in comparison.  Once again I will say "Skyrim is the best ES game to date" facts prove it. To each is thier own though... Hope to see you in game if you choose wisely.

er...

Morrowind has much more to it than skyrim. I love both and have over 650 hours into Skyrim but Morrowind has much more depth.

More hiden places in morrowind

Vampire Quests - meanign vampires are a "monster" unless you become one and it is dependent on which vampire house you belong to

Not only are there guild quests but there are is also the added Morag Tong guild and all the house quests. And the different houses will treat you differently depending on which one you belong to.

Not only that but you can actually have npc's pissed at you and not even deal with you.

No "V" over the quest areas you need to go to but one's mileage may vary depending on whether you like this or not.

I prefer Skyrim/Oblvion combat though.

The facts show that more people bought skyrim but that doesn't mean it's the better game. It's the most modern, looks the best, and benefits from the success of the previous games to build awareness of it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    We all will be playing Path of Exiles for the forseeable future. So unless an MMO is actually released with 90% scores everywhere nothing matters.
  • Kenshin_HimuraKenshin_Himura Member Posts: 75
    I don't get it why people cry about this game. I'm not a BIG fan of TES IP but I've played few hours oblivion and skyrim and I'm excited to see the places from those games in the mmorpg TES game. 

Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    The lore is what interests me about ESO and all the elder scrolls games. It will have meaningful pvp where you can be emperor of cyrodill

That's interesting... will the official lore reflect the epic era of the reign of the Emperor Pwnuhard?

To be honest i don't see Pwnuhard's reign being a very long one :)

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

What a snooze fest!

I am happy that you got it out of your system, now I can sleep peacefully again.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

We know so little about this game.  We havent even played the damn thing yet.

However, we have people who have formed absolute impressions/judgements of the game.

Sounds legit.  Let's at least wait for beta leaks and/or user reviews before making such threads.

Originally posted by Maephisto

We know so little about this game.  We havent even played the damn thing yet.

However, we have people who have formed absolute impressions/judgements of the game.

Sounds legit.  Let's at least wait for beta leaks and/or user reviews before making such threads.

They have crystal balls full of negative energy, can't you feel it? This site makes me feel depressed

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Vayman
    If TESO was Exactly like tes single player it would hurt the series too. Why buy tes 6 set inside say elswher when you already have elswher in the mmo. Bethseda will want the mmo to be different to the single player, so people have a reason to play both games. as it should be we've all seen how shite solo orientated mmos like swtor are,

I think we're on the same line of thought here, actually. While I wouldn't expect an MMO to have the same featureset as a single player, it's my fear that the components that wereleft out of the MMO may not be replaced by anything that would set TESO off from the rest of the MMO market.

If the MMO feels generic - devoid of the "life" and "vibrance" that makes the single-player so appealing - there may not be many who play both.

Of course, it's all speculation. It's interesting that you mention SWTOR. During the years leading up to it's release, My inner Star Wars child managed to convince me that it will be a great and fully-featured MMO version of KOTOR. I'm getting a little deja-vu with TESO.

Either way, I'll watch the game's news and development, and will be happy to be wrong. I honestly hope it lives up to everyone's expectations.

• I don't like Facebook integration being one of their four key design pillars. I don't like the world isn't seamless and that you can't enter the enemy's territory. I'm highly ambivalent of the megaserver concept. But let's see how it turns out in the end. I signed up for beta at least, and am somehow getting hyped.

After WAR,SWTOR and GW2 it seems I enjoy the pain.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Originally posted by Axxar

I don't like Facebook integration being one of their four key design pillars. I don't like the world isn't seamless and that you can't enter the enemy's territory. I'm highly ambivalent of the megaserver concept. But let's see how it turns out in the end. I signed up for beta at least, and am somehow getting hyped.

After WAR,SWTOR and GW2 it seems I enjoy the pain.

You cant enter enemy territory?  Why the hell not???  Why cant there be a pvp server with a ruleset that allows people to go into enemy territory?

damnit.....

Have they given any reason as to why they chose to lock down enemy territories from outsiders?  I hope it isn't an effort to protect pve'ers.

• mastergravymastergravy Member UncommonPosts: 38
    eve is such a shit game, no wonder you have no standards
  • DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

The game isnt even in beta, but it sucks? O.o

Gotta love these forums!

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Daxamar

The game isnt even in beta, but it sucks? O.o

Gotta love these forums!

Locking races to factions + blocking off areas = sucks

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    The hardest part for Zenimax will be trying to conviince the diehard Elder Scrolls player to buy into the traditional theme park mmo setup.  I'm not convinced that will happen.
  • sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    The hardest part for Zenimax will be trying to conviince the diehard Elder Scrolls player to buy into the traditional theme park mmo setup.  I'm not convinced that will happen.

The hardest part for Elder Scroll fans will be trying to convince the devs at Zenimax to actually make an Elder Scrolls game.  Unfortantly this didn't happen.

What I think is funny is why should Zenimax have to convince Elder Scrolls fans to accept thier game.  Instead of designing an Elder Scrolls game they made another tradtiional theme part mmo, isn't there enough of them already?

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by NL-Rikkert

As a true TES fan I realise it doesn't look nor sound very promising at all, though the MMO player in me begs me to wait and see till I have a chance to play the product..

Hopes are low and I presume it will get pretty bloody after release. 

Please do not screw up TES!

I agree. The strongest points of the Elder Scrolls games is that they are free-roaming, open-ended, class-free sandboxes. Any MMORPG brought out under the Elder Scrolls IP that does not offer these things is going to crash hard.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by sapphen
    Originally posted by Normandy7

The hardest part for Elder Scroll fans will be trying to convince the devs at Zenimax to actually make an Elder Scrolls game.  Unfortantly this didn't happen.

What I think is funny is why should Zenimax have to convince Elder Scrolls fans to accept thier game.  Instead of designing an Elder Scrolls game they made another tradtiional theme part mmo, isn't there enough of them already?

I don't think Zenimax are just targeting TES fans. They are also after ex WoW, DAoC, WAR, GW2 players, PvPers etc.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann