Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Black Deserts the real Elder Scrolls Online?

2»

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Grotar89
    Originally posted by DMKano

Archeage is CryEngine3 which is about 100x better than whatever crap is used in this game.

AA is also on rails quest grinder, with tab target combat  1+2+3+4 spam that crap has been in MMOs since EQ, No ty.

Almost all upcoming MMOs have actipny combat.

ArcheAge doesnt look that impressive if you watched some streams from open beta you would see that game is nothing like trailers charachter models are also bland and boring.....

I will take Black Desert anytime before AA, and it has more sanbox elements than AA.

Thank goodness not every single MMO coming out in the near future is going to embrace action combat.  There are an awful lot of gamers like me who would be more than happy to play without the twitch.  Also, I think you are vastly underestimating the number of MMO gamers who don't like action combat.  We are more than enough reason to keep making at least a few games that play at a slower pace.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

The World Graphics and the Character Graphics simply do not mesh.

The world LOOKs amazing.  Looks perfect.  Looks like a Skyrim type of world, where things are based on realism.  Then you look at the characters in action, and it looks like some sort of console action/combo game....where people in plate armor are flipping about in the air.

Asian MMOs have NEVER be able to mesh combat/character style with a real world setting.  It's all about cliche anime stock players.  You have the tall, effiminate elven race.  You have the short, cute race.  There is probably a girl only race that has fur or ears.  There there is the standard human race.  Oh, and the giant "beast" race which looks metro sexual.

Everyone is pretty in an Asian MMO.

I am totally fine with them making that type of game....if the world looks like it fits the characters that inhabit it.  Like FFXIV....yes, the game sucks, but the characters and the world seem to fit nicely together.

Western developers cannot create the actual game world right.  They get the characters down great.  But they screw up with the world, creating some sort of themepark hybrid that no one really wants.  Easter developers totally nail the world aspect of creation, but they always screw up on the characters.

Traditional high fantasy VS Anime fantasy.  It's a pretty big difference.

• Kenshin_HimuraKenshin_Himura Member Posts: 75
    After watching the video I don't see anything in this game to look like TES but looks like what Lineage 3 would have been specially the fighting system remind me old Korean grinders and not action like fighting of TES.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Kenshin_Himura
    After watching the video I don't see anything in this game to look like TES but looks like what Lineage 3 would have been specially the fighting system remind me old Korean grinders and not action like fighting of TES.

What?

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Looks nice but im not impressed, for me looks like a Vindictus with open world.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    love it, sign me up.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Varthander
    Looks nice but im not impressed, for me looks like a Vindictus with open world.

That is actually an excellent idea. Vindictus had perfect action combat and a great setting, the MMORPG genre needs a good action based game to end the bad attempts at it like Tera.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Another MMo that is 3 years off, and probably wont be translated into english.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• shathirashathira Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Seems like that was an awful lot of cutscene animation, which everyone has the capability to make look astounding these days.  The gameplay seemed like the camera was very choppy, trying to keep up with character animation, and I agree with a previous comment about the constant flashes on hit/swing were headache enducing.  We'll see where it goes to from here.
  • steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434

Thought that it looked pretty good for being a few years out.  Curious to see how it shapes up!

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Korean mmo trailers never make any sense, it's ooh that looks nice but what the fuck is going on. here?
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by alyosha17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SNFSw107MQs

It seems like it has more features relevant to an Elder Scrolls game.  Action combat, mounted combat, housing, seamless world, plus the aesthetics are similar.  It has a very western, almost Tolkien-esque look.

How can you make that assumption when you know pretty much nothing about TESO?

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx
    Another MMo that is 3 years off, and probably wont be translated into english.

Actually they are shooting for a Q2 open beta which means a late 2013 or early 2014 release.

Also, the developers have given interviews, in English and has stated they are trying for a WORLD WIDE RELEASE near the same time as the Korean release.

Quote from the interview, page 2 "We are still working on contracts with other publishers from other countries, so the testing schedule could change at anytime. For now, our goal is to have a public version by 2013 in South Korea. Depending on how much progress we make, I think our first test is scheduled sometime in the first half of 2013."

Full interview is here http://steparu.com/previews/mmo-rpg-previews/897-black-desert-online-interview

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by xmenty

Black Desert housing and tent system video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tsD_FLgpGr4

I hadn't seen the housing video yet, thanks.

It all looks good except for the combat animations. If the game is a good sandbox though, I can ignore the combat animations.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by Tayah

It all looks good except for the combat animations. If the game is a good sandbox though, I can ignore the combat animations.

Yeah but try to keep in mind that this isnt even in open beta yet so we could be talking alpha or early beta 1 so those will improve. just looking at their other games, I would say they wont ignore that.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Tayah

Yeah but try to keep in mind that this isnt even in open beta yet so we could be talking alpha or early beta 1 so those will improve. just looking at their other games, I would say they wont ignore that.

Good Point, aye we'll see once we can get our hands on it one day :)

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Grotar89
    Originally posted by DMKano

Archeage is CryEngine3 which is about 100x better than whatever crap is used in this game.

AA is also on rails quest grinder, with tab target combat  1+2+3+4 spam that crap has been in MMOs since EQ, No ty.

Almost all upcoming MMOs have actipny combat.

ArcheAge doesnt look that impressive if you watched some streams from open beta you would see that game is nothing like trailers charachter models are also bland and boring.....

I will take Black Desert anytime before AA, and it has more sanbox elements than AA.

Thank goodness not every single MMO coming out in the near future is going to embrace action combat.  There are an awful lot of gamers like me who would be more than happy to play without the twitch.  Also, I think you are vastly underestimating the number of MMO gamers who don't like action combat.  We are more than enough reason to keep making at least a few games that play at a slower pace.

Slow combat doesn't have to be boring though.  The problem with a lot of tab-targeted slower combat systems, like LotRO, VG, and EQ2, is that the combat system is boring and slow.  Rift hasn't really done anything to make the static combat system any better or feel more engaging.  Some of the older turn-based combat systems of console games were more interesting (PS1: Legend of the Dragoons) than the same old static combat we've seen over and over and over again.

What do you have to back up your claim that he's vastly underestimating the number of players who don't like action combat if given a choice in a new game?  Is that based on intuition and feeling?  Because I have the opposite feeling, but no real evidence to support it.

The size of the player bases for these slower paced games would be an indication as would the overall numbers of players who play slower paced games versus the overall numbers of gamers who play action MMOs would also be an indication, don't you think?

You may find EQ2 and WoW combat boring, but I do not.  In fact, I prefer it be even slower like EQ Live and Dark Age of Camelot.  I'm interested in my character's ability to overcome adversity, not my twitch skills.