Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do YOU the PLAYERS want?

13»

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by AgentAnarkii
    No Devs have ever thought to ask this question and actually consider following through with the answers...well at least the good ones. So i'm asking you, in a few short sentences desribe to me what YOU want when it comes to the genre of MMORPGs. 

Every dev has thought to ask players what they want. Many actually follow through and deliver it and its not always accepted lol.  

In the end this is what you must do if you want to succeed. 

Ask yourself what is your target audience, what type of player do you want to appeal to.

What can you bring to the table for this type of player thats fresh and new. 

Once you get further along in development and have a lot of your core built you can start asking what players want. Don't compromise your vision but do listen to your chosen player base and for the love of gaming stay true to your chosen player base. 

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518
    No Devs have ever thought to ask this question and actually consider following through with the answers...well at least the good ones. So i'm asking you, in a few short sentences desribe to me what YOU want when it comes to the genre of MMORPGs. 

This is not an easy question to answer but here goes; I want an open world, player housing where my home is unlike anyone else’s and the ability to keep my stuff there.  I want the world to be PvP free.  I want to go exploring, fishing and hunting, I want to be able to chop down a tree, and make the tools necessary to make the resulting wood into anything I need at the time.  I want real weather, days where people are active and nights with nothing better to do than sit in some pub waiting for the local merchant to open his doors.  I would like to walk into a town or city and actually have it be a place with real people going about their daily lives, where I can stand on the way side and listen to a mid-wife complain about some husband being disappointed by the birth of a daughter and not a son.  I don’t want to be a warrior or a ranger or rouge, I want the skills to be anything I chose to be at that time.

Is that a lot to ask for; apparently yes.  No game has come close to filling even half of what I would like to see but for some reason I keep looking.  In short I guess you could say that I am looking for a virtual world.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183
    Players want something new, innovative and ground-breaking. Essentially they want something that hasn't existed yet, which is why asking players what they want as a developer is often a recipe for failure. If you asked people prior to <insertFavoriteMMO> what they wanted, I bet the answer would've been completely different and wrong.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Fix combat.

I feel it is the combat that has become the issue in MMORPGs. What I mean is there is too much of it. I think there should be less, more meaningfull, combat.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Its probably a bad idea to ask what the players want...You'll get 1000 different answers and if they don't like it they just leave for another game......
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Its probably a bad idea to ask what the players want...You'll get 1000 different answers and if they don't like it they just leave for another game......

Not a bad idea .. do a survey .. and implement stuff that the most people want.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    What do I want? What I've always wanted. A Rifts and Shadowrun mmo.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    No Devs have ever thought to ask this question and actually consider following through with the answers...well at least the good ones.

Ah ah, no hedging the bet. Because this devil IS the details: Who picks?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

What I most want, and what John Smedley is making sure I never get, is a new Everquest game true to the original with updated graphics.  

Instead in looks like I am getting orcs and elves in Minecraft.  If only I had words for how sad that is.  

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

what i want is fun games.

And some MMOs are fun to me.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

A fun and challenging game which never gets old. Auto or player generated content I am looking at you. Once I know everything about a game I lose interest and leave. Thats why I need an evolving ever changing world where I can explore forever. Oh and no tab targeting.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Im finding these pointless threads as painful as when people talk about what they will do if they win the lottery. Its pointless and leads nowhere. This question is asked in different forms multiple times a week. Can't we just move on and talk about ideas instead of asking stupid pointless open ended questions with no real destination or goal? Bah... time for a break from this site lol Its making me go something something.....

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I want what all the other forum users here wants: The Impossible, developed with an unlimited budget playable via technology that doesn't yet exist and I want it NOW! For FREE!!!!!!
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

And for damn good reason.If the devs listened to their playerbase either they'd never manage to finish the game because they'd be in 24h workstate tryng to code all the feature, or the game would end up as incoherent mess of features that in no way work well together. 

That's why our role is not to demand features, but to give feedback based on what the developers are doing and adding suggestions that might be considered by them, depending on their vision of the game.

As to what I'd like to see developers look towards is - User Generated Content in general. The more that can be done within game, by players, the more longlivety and content the game will have. While the community as a whole may not be really good at creating such content there will always be those few individuals that are able to create something amazing if/when provided the tools to do so. Even some of the big devs come from modding background. 

Now of course some games are trying it (Foundry in STO/NW, in a way the Albion Theathre in TSW, the way Dimensions work in Rift and in a way the whole EVE concept works with how big alliences can affect the gameplay) but I'd like to see more, more experimenting with the concept, more tools, more freedom.If you are worrie dby subpar content, don't, the community will eventually filter out the crap and encourage quality creations. 

Look how Valve handles DoTA2 with player made skins being sold on marketplace. Look how many of MMO addons became standard features. It's probably the best way to improve the genre in general at this moment. We kind of have the technolgoy, so why not use it? 

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Ask who? Zillions of flamers, fanboys, ... etc? Even with non falmers and non fanboys it goes like 1000 players 1000 tastes. I guess ALL companies somehow with feedback, stats from ingameplay, ... try to guess what MAJORITY of players enjoy. But there will never ever be any game that will make happy all. Because that is humanly not possible.

Originally posted by daltanious

Ask who? Zillions of flamers, fanboys, ... etc? Even with non falmers and non fanboys it goes like 1000 players 1000 tastes. I guess ALL companies somehow with feedback, stats from ingameplay, ... try to guess what MAJORITY of players enjoy. But there will never ever be any game that will make happy all. Because that is humanly not possible.

Actually it is moot to do it in a forum. Devs are better off going to marketing research firms to do it for them.

• BosianBosian Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Large overland world, entrances to a multitude of interesting things all over the world, things to do other than exploring / fighting, and a home where my character lives / works.

in other words, give me back my pre cu SWG :)

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    A new world to explore, and a world where theres a community in it.