Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your favorite Elder Scrolls game

bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

Someone remarked in a thread in the Elder Scrolls Online forum that if anyone thought that any game besides Skyrim was the best in the series they would be in the small minority.  I am now curious if I am in the small minority.  To me, Morrowind was the best of the series.  So here's a poll!  Apologies if it has been done, a search for elder scrolls in the subject yielded no posts.

Comments

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    I picked Oblivion.  Mostly because I liked the stories and direction of the game much better.  However models and combat were inferior to Skyrim.  I felt much more into the story of Oblivion than Skyrim which the main story seemed more like a side quest than an actual plot of the game.
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

Oblivion was quite amazing, and tremendous fun. But it did feel a little more "generic fantasy" then it's predecessor.

Skyrim was beautiful and rich. It was exactly what I was hoping it would be, and lived up to it's expectations. But I think that's why I didn't vote for it.

I voted Morrowind because it exceeded expectations, felt unbelievably original and immersive, and captured my imagination. Without it, I would not have been as excited for the follow-up releases.

For the sake of completeness, I did not play any of the other versions.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Yeah there are actually some other versions out there besides the main five, example is Redguard.  I included that one because I have seen some people talk about how good it was.  There are some other ones that never really caught on like Battlespire that I left out.  Obviously some people will not have played all versions but vote as you please
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I've liked all the games I've played but Morrowind is my favorite. I'm actually replaying it along with skyrim.

I've also started Daggerfall but I feel the start is a bit fo a slog as it's sooooo old.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Its Elder Scrolls Online, dunno why it aint on the list......
    Originally posted by Grotar89

Maybe in a few months it would fit in a poll like this.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    You are polling a small group of people here as well. This is a MMO site not a consol/PC gaming site for open worlds.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Morrowinds world and magic system with skyrims leveling system and graphics.

Don't particularly care for oblivion.
  • ShorunShorun Member UncommonPosts: 247

I like all the TES-Games but I voted Skyrim, because it was the first to get the regeneration system right. The world and the story in Morrowind were great, but I hated resting in between battles all the time. It got better with Oblivion, but Skyrim is the first game that actually plays really nice (and more action-based, which is always a nice thing).

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    skyrim is the best in the series, it's the least buggy most polished game.
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    You are polling a small group of people here as well. This is a MMO site not a consol/PC gaming site for open worlds.

Sure but I bet alot of the people here have played most of the ES games.  Just a poll, vote or not as you please.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I chose Skyrim, just because I felt it gave the best all around experience, especially when it came to combat. Combat was always a stickler for me in Morrowind and Oblivion, having to navigate UI to get to spells and whatnot. While Skyrim didn't completely alleviate it, the left/right hand change made it a bit more dynamic.

I do miss things like creating your own spells and just a lot of the other spells in general, like water walking, but Skyrim really delivered for me.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Morrowind, very shorlty followed by Daggerfall, because hell I spent months playing it. Skyrim would be well... contending with Arena for last spot really. 
  • MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Voted Morrowind. 

Morrowing and its predecesors were from an era of RPGs that didnt hold your hand.  They all had varying level of complexity that I miss.  You had to actually use your brain at times, or put in extra effort to finish a quest.  Every game since then has been a dumbed down version of the last.  I did enjoy oblivion though.  Skyrim, I did not enjoy as much.

If you voted for Skyrim and havent played the previous games, you owe it to yourself to try themout.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

I picked Daggerfall because I loved that big free roaming world.

Morrowind is a close second.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by bliss14

What? You mean the game isnt released yet?

Then how do we have all these reviews popping up telling us how bad the game is? Surely they have played the game extensively and are not just sad trolls who get melodramatic over a quote in a interview?

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Base game, Marrowind.

Total game with mods, Oblivion by far. I still have it installed and play once in a while with new mods that are STILL being made after all these years. I know of no other game that still has the amount of followers after so many years as Oblivion does in terms of creating new content for it.

However...if Skyrim hadnt been created for the console and instead was made for the PC FIRST...without its MASSIVE limitations in terms of memory usage and still had a magic casting system that wasnt so damn...pooptastic, Skyrim may very well have been able to take over the #1 spot. As is, even with mods, its a weak overall game with a good story.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by bliss14

What? You mean the game isnt released yet?

Then how do we have all these reviews popping up telling us how bad the game is? Surely they have played the game extensively and are not just sad trolls who get melodramatic over a quote in a interview?

The poll is asking for our FAVORITE TES GAME...so, by including TESO it MUST be compared to the others and since we already know its DaoC style, its a bad TES game.

This also applies to speaking about TESO in other forums. Its using the name wanting to bring in fans of TES and thus we DO get to compare TESO to what we like about the TES games we are fans of.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by jtcgs

Base game, Marrowind.

Total game with mods, Oblivion by far. I still have it installed and play once in a while with new mods that are STILL being made after all these years. I know of no other game that still has the amount of followers after so many years as Oblivion does in terms of creating new content for it.

However...if Skyrim hadnt been created for the console and instead was made for the PC FIRST...without its MASSIVE limitations in terms of memory usage and still had a magic casting system that wasnt so damn...pooptastic, Skyrim may very well have been able to take over the #1 spot. As is, even with mods, its a weak overall game with a good story.

ooc, have you tried morrowind fully modded?   I should have probably put a stip on the poll that it was for base game only or for modded game only.  Probably base game as I suppose more people overall didn't mod.  I didn't mod Oblivion personally, I couldn't get over what I thought was it's "console port" flaws.  And the level scaling....I enjoyed in Morrowind having areas that were off limits until I had improved enough to get to them.  Everyone's going to have their own likes and dislikes of course :)

• keitholikeitholi Member UncommonPosts: 140

Im in the Daggerfall crowd here. While it may not hold a candle, graphically, to todays games it was truely an original back when it was released. I believe it was the first game I ever played where I could own property in a city, my very own mansion.. Empty mansion, but it was mine! I literally spent YEARS of my life playing this game. Never before had I experienced dynamic quests and content and it held me enthralled for years to come.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Morrowind for me. Hands down. Skyrim comes in second. I was very disappointed in Oblivion, but will try it again, soon. I have found Arena and Daggerfall which I will be trying, also.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Morrowind was my first and its open ended world stucture was music to my ears.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

My top 3:

1. Daggerfall-loved the dungeons and it was so ahead of its time

2. Skyrim-Just a cool game...Dungeons were fun....COuld have done without the dragons and the vampirism

3.Morrowind-had alot of good stuff but msot of the time the dungeons were just too short

As ofr TES online, I get the feeling it just isnt going to measure up......The bar is pretty high for this franchise and I dont know if they can pull off a good multiplayer version.

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    I voted Oblivion, which for me was the 2nd of the series that I had actually played.  Never did try Daggefall.  Oblivion was the damn game that got me into all these fantasy mmo's, and I still blame it for the steady decline of my yearly income.  Hated Skyrim, was great graphically but just was not fun for me.  The punch of a new experience was gone by that one.  Oblivion, on the other hand, was absolutely heart-stopping for me.  Going through those gates and watching everything turn blood red and then getting killed so many times .... oh ftlog it was fun. 
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

It's a toss-up between Daggerfall and Skyrim.  Skyrim is infinitely more polished and immersive, but the storylines of Daggerfall were much more complex.  You basically start the game off as an agent sent on a personal favor to the emporer to look into why a king's ghost is haunting a city.  He also wants you to try and find out what happened to a letter he sent to someone...

The web of intrigue that game weaves is simply amazing.

That said, the game is incredibly dated now, and was never very stable in the first place.

You make me like charity