Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHYYYY LEVELS WHYYYY

Comments

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Originally posted by cwliias
    What? Previous ES games have levels too.

They have levels in the facet of you use a sword and it levels up yes... Not go grind XP and level up your character before you can REALLLY play the game

Morrowind had actual player levels too, and from what I understand so did Skyrim.

And yes, they have traditional levels, that was revealed way back when they told us that we were not getting real time combat either. ie we have a gcd.

yea, useless rage out of nothing op, grow up ;)

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by MyTabbycat

You really should listen to the interview with Paul Sage as he touches on this some.

Yes, you level up with experience. Once you hit level 50, you will stop leveling but you are only about 1/3rd of the way finished with progressing your character.

Every weapon you use, every piece of armor you wear etc has its own leveling. As you use it, you become more proficient and unlock new abilities. When you are level 50, you continue to work on your skills to unlock new abilities to make your character more versatile. The more versatile your character, the more you are able to adapt to and handle different situations in the game.

I have to say. That sounds pretty f'in awesome. Hopefully this version of AA levels slower than character levels

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• proxy42086proxy42086 Member UncommonPosts: 30

learn to like it or dont play now stop crying.

game isnt even in beta yet and people qqing , pathetic

just wish game devs would say this is how it is not stfu and get over it

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

People still have a hard time in understanding that TESO will be a MMORPG.

Not a sequel to the ES series.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by proxy42086

Yeah, that's exactly how you get people to buy things from you, tell them to shut the fuck up and get over it. I'm really curious as to how you think a professional development team is supposed to conduct itself. Maybe, instead of taking some ridiculous authoritarian stance that gets us nowhere, you could do a little personal research into the subject, and maybe, just maybe, you'll discover that the fans of the single player Elder Scrolls series have a few reasons to be upset, and that you're actually posting a response on a forum that's been designed for debate. It's pretty weird, I know. Just let it sink in a moment.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

I think everyone understands this, it's not a hard concept to grasp. Why people are bothered by the design for TESO is that it could have technologically been far more similar to their single player series, while remaining an MMO. You don't need skill bars, PvP zones, tab targeting, and a bunch of gimmicky horse shit to make an online game.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    welcome back in middle age.. in year 2013 new game with exp based levels and fixed class system..  :))
  • ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Off-Topic i know just curious - anyone knows if there will be any contiuation to the ES series? another DLC to Skyrim maybe? or another game? Anyone?

I couldn't find anything anywhere about this.....

Just my 2 cents...

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

Off the top of my head...

A person unskilled in the use of heavy armour will find it very heavy to the point that they cannot move. Link the use of items to the skill used. So a noob will have no skill in heavy armour so effectively they will be wearing an impressive looking item but it will offer zero protection as tehy struggle to move it it and are sitting ducks.

A better example would be a sword of demon killing....

Well you don't have the weight issue with armour so how to stop noobs using such a powerful weapon? Again, link it to the relevent skill. Only through a lot of practive will you be good at using a sword. Till you are proficient your hits will not be quick and fluid and will be less powerful and due to your lack of experience using such a weapon you will be unable to harness it's special powers.

Items have nothing to do with using other ways to level excluding combat. If someone wants to use a combat weapon or armour then I see no problem linking their use to the relevent combat skills. A crafter is unlikely to be able to use the items unless they also have skills in combat. And what is the problem with that?

Once you have learned how to swing a sword the quality of the sword isn't going to effect your skill with it because you already know the basics.  Most of learning to fight with a sword is understanding how to hold your weapon, where to place your feet and how to attack and counter an enemy's attacks without leaving yourself defencless.

If the sword of demon killing was a completely different class of weapon (e.g. a two-handed sword when you are used to one-handed blades + shield) then yes you will need to learn how to use it.  But if you are merely moving from one similar weapon to a better crafted or magically enchanted weapon of the same type why wouldn't you be able to use it just as well as you could a basic sword?

So I wouldn't restrict low level players from using any weapons in the game but I would make them less effective with those weapons because they aren't as skilled as a higher level player.  I really dislike the standard MMO route of restricting a player from even picking up a weapon that is physically identical to their current weapon because it's a higher level and they can't use it yet.  It's a very lazy design.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• proxy42086proxy42086 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster

Yeah, that's exactly how you get people to buy things from you, tell them to shut the fuck up and get over it. I'm really curious as to how you think a professional development team is supposed to conduct itself. Maybe, instead of taking some ridiculous authoritarian stance that gets us nowhere, you could do a little personal research into the subject, and maybe, just maybe, you'll discover that the fans of the single player Elder Scrolls series have a few reasons to be upset, and that you're actually posting a response on a forum that's been designed for debate. It's pretty weird, I know. Just let it sink in a moment.

Ive been of the ES myself , I am also disappointed about it. But in every game there are levels there has to be. Every ES had levels.  Theres nothing i can do about it except to overlook it cause I want to play that game.

If you dont like how a game is designed you either ignore it and play it, or you dont play at all.

Look at the sorry state of some games where devs listen to appease masses that flock to forums.

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

Ive been of the ES myself , I am also disappointed about it. But in every game there are levels there has to be. Every ES had levels.  Theres nothing i can do about it except to overlook it cause I want to play that game.

If you dont like how a game is designed you either ignore it and play it, or you dont play at all.

Look at the sorry state of some games where devs listen to appease masses that flock to forums.

I'm not complaining about the leveling system, really. I mean, I hate the fact that it'll be reduced to having to quest for experience, turning in objectives like "kill ten rats", but I can live with it to some degree. I just don't understand why anyone would come to a forum for discussion, and tell people to shut up or get used to it. Naturally, there's nothing any one of us could do to alter the path of development by posting on this board, I'd hope most of us realize that, but the reason it exists is to debate, argue, or discuss, sort of like we're doing now that we've moved beyond "stfu and deal with it, nerd".

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Shaike
    Dragonborn dlc is out for skyrim on pc on Feb the 5th

Dawnguard was dlc1, dragonborn is dlc2. Hearthfire isn't an official dlc, its more a content pack like horse armour in oblivion.

Bethseda plan to make 4 total dlcs for skyrim. Plus perhaps some more hearthfire type things. They signed a deal with Microsoft that the xbox would get the first 2 dlcs in advance of other platforms.

The 3rd dlc will Involve the machinations of the thalamor and make the orc strongholds more of a faction.
    The 4th dlc will have the civil war step up and let the player decide who will rule skyrim. Will also involve the dunmer dispora.

In addition all 4 dlcs have extra content not in game for the modding community - e.g. werebears. They aim is that by the time all 4 main dlcs ate out, there will be enough resources in the toolset for the community to recreate Morrowind and oblivion within the skyrim engine / advancement system.

Finally they are doing some prep work for tes6, with strong rumours its set in elswher and will feature a new wave of akavir invasion from the eastern continent. Bethseda themselves are not in the main working on TESO. It's being built by zenimax online studios, however they have pulled in a few people from other zenimax teams including both bethseda and ID.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

... When i heard the words... "When the player hits lvl 50 thats when the game really opens up"... I cried a little... Am i over reacting and if so why and how in the hell is that not going to ruin this game... seriously... player lvls in a ES game... Sounds like a joke to me.

What? Previous ES games have levels too.

They have levels in the facet of you use a sword and it levels up yes... Not go grind XP and level up your character before you can REALLLY play the game

Not sure what games you two have been playing but yes ES games have normal conventional levels as well. Not in the sense of just leveling up skills/items.  There is a base level that levels up like in any game.  You should go replay Skyrim and take a closer look.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Lawl
    I would be very suprised if kill ten rats quests is the only way to get experience.

I would expect strong xp for just killing stuff in general and exploration. You are supposed to just stumble upon open dungeons and stuff much like the single players

I would also expect it from pvp, unless they are restricting pvp to endgame only.

They might do crafting xp too.
    Beta you are right.

Play skyrim, notice how the speed your character moves at increases as you level up. Despite skyrim not having athletics skill. Also what's that pumping points into magika/health/stamina if not leveling up.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by cwliias ... When i heard the words... "When the player hits lvl 50 thats when the game really opens up"... I cried a little... Am i over reacting and if so why and how in the hell is that not going to ruin this game... seriously... player lvls in a ES game... Sounds like a joke to me. Originally posted by cwliias Originally posted by jimdandy26 What? Previous ES games have levels too.
     Not sure what games you two have been playing but yes ES games have normal conventional levels as well. Not in the sense of just leveling up skills/items.  There is a base level that levels up like in any game.  You should go replay Skyrim and take a closer look.

Yeah...that's what I was thinking. The games have levels. They have mechanics in addition to levels, and there's no reason that ESO can't have mechanics in addition to levels too.

Come on people. Stop reading one or two words and creating comprehensive game mechanics to complain about.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    Did they actually say the game opens up when you reach max level? If they did, then either max level is really easy to reach or this game is one of those "be bored for 100 hours until you reach endgame" deals. That's enough for me to not even consider playing it.

The "game open" at max level because the dev see ESO has a Realm vs Realm PvP game and you won't be competitive in that area until you reach level 50 and gain all you abilities (despite being able to join it at level 10).

Despite their claims that they want both MMO players and Elder Scrolls players to enjoy the game, they seems to have focused only on Open World PvP MMO players in their design and marketing. It's really weird.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    ... When i heard the words... "When the player hits lvl 50 thats when the game really opens up"... I cried a little... Am i over reacting and if so why and how in the hell is that not going to ruin this game... seriously... player lvls in a ES game... Sounds like a joke to me.

The level mechanic is not the issue... the stupid notion that a game should somehow only become 'real' at 50 is the issue.

A lot of devs need to get out of the mindset that says 1-49 are tutorial and 50 is 'the game'. A lot of players do as well. If your game does not have a fun and worthwhile 1-49 game I simply do not want to play it.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Lawl
    I would be very suprised if kill ten rats quests is the only way to get experience.

I would expect strong xp for just killing stuff in general and exploration. You are supposed to just stumble upon open dungeons and stuff much like the single players

I would also expect it from pvp, unless they are restricting pvp to endgame only.

They might do crafting xp too.

That's all very possible, I'm sure people will be able to simply grind out experience from hunting, but what did we learn from the developers of TOR when they mentioned that we'd be immersed in a story? What's do the two games share in common? That's right, some heroic narrative that's going to guide you through your leveling process. A bunch of collect quests, kill some shit quests, and maybe an event or two (I honestly can't remember, I've done what I can to block the TOR experience from memory). I'm just basing what I know from previous bullshit developer interviews, and what we've actually received, but here's to hoping you're right.

Azar
    I wonder about that. I suspect cyrodil will be level 50 only. Then they might have level bracketed battlegrounds (daoc style persistent ones not wow style) for pvp whilst leveling.
    Lawl. Yeah but i suspect its more like gw2 and skyrim. It will have this solo orientated main story, but you can ignore it.
    Lawl. Yeah but i suspect its more like gw2 and skyrim. It will have this solo orientated main story, but you can ignore it.

The ignoring it bit is the part that I'm hoping is actually viable.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I don't think it will feel or play like any moo on the market to date.  I think it will have its own feel and this is what will make it stand out above the rest.

However, I will be playing Repopulation if they pull it off with all the features they claim to have in release.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Betaguy

I don't think it will feel or play like any moo on the market to date.  I think it will have its own feel and this is what will make it stand out above the rest.

What is it that makes you think this is the case?

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    At OP, what did you espect the same leveling model like tsw or the "no endgame" lie from gw2 model. I liked the leveling model from skyrim, it gives you progression and you know the path you have to go trough.