Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why this game was/will be a major disappointment for me

RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

1.  Paul Sage's video released back at the beginning of the announcement. Immediately, the video did not feel like a  hype video but a damage control video.  Nothing in the video convinced me that this would by a vision i could share in as an ESO.

2.  The cinematic trailer.  You wasted your money on a generic cinematic trailer.  The cinematic trailer for Ultima ONline is awesome but says/shows nothing about the game.  I personally feel fans would have been better served by a good game play video.  I think it should be clear what players want to see.  The fact you release this instead speaks volumes about the coming ineptedtude.

3.  Your sell out attitude.  Morrowind was revolutionary, Oblivion was decent, Skyrim (well, lets not talk about the pc verson).  This online game does not stand out, its not distinctive and nothing, absoutely nothing, about it is innovative.

4. What really seems to be happening here is someone has taken a box'd mmo and tryed to skin it as Elder scrolls.  I'm so sick of this and its why i only play Eve now.  They design the game then slap the IP on? Seriously?   This is suposed to be Elder Scrolls.  More generic crap with no thought put into creative character progression.   More levels? Seriously?  this has to be the new slogan for the game.

5.  I usually don't go out on the negative limb but from everything I see so far...The Elder Scrolls Online is off to a bad start and the company that you have implementing your generic MMO is completely and utterly releasing a generic mmo.

6.  This is not a vision of Elder Scrolls I can get behind.

You could go on treasure hunts and drop things on the ground in Ultima since launch, You of all people should have know Paul.

What a snooze fest!

Comments

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by Rekindle

You could go on treasure hunts and drop things on the ground in Ultima since launch, You of all people should have know Paul.

That's one of the big stinkers for me, where this guy comes from. It's like there's some sort of brainwashing taking place behind the scenes with some of these development studios.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134

As a true TES fan I realise it doesn't look nor sound very promising at all, though the MMO player in me begs me to wait and see till I have a chance to play the product..

Hopes are low and I presume it will get pretty bloody after release. 

Please do not screw up TES!

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169

I for one am hoping its not going to be as bad as u r making it out to be, before seeing the final product.

I would love an MMO to not have levels, sand box style with skill based classes would be a blast. It would be neat to have new things in an MMO instead of more of the same .. i agree with that also ... 

But, if the 3 faction PVP, crafting, combat system, & world  are all fun and i can really get into my character that i build instead of choose from a class template, then ill be happy. because im really bored of the MMO's we have now, and EVE is a good MMO, just not my style.  Ive tried to play it twice and i just get bored. Not putting it down, its just not for me. and im giving up on there being any MMO's that are coming out, that are going to change the way MMO's are played and make us say OMG why cant all MMO's be like this .. because all i see are MMO's that are simular in style, so Id love for ESO to be one that i love to play so i can stop playing all the  F2P ones while i wait for a fun one to come out.

Right now with 3 factions, make your character the way u want to play it, all sound good to me, the promise of crafting thats not a waist of your time, is a pluss, now i just hope the world isnt linear and is fun to explore; and that the combat is engaging.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

1.  Paul Sage's video released back at the beginning of the announcement. Immediately, the video did not feel like a  hype video but a damage control video.  Nothing in the video convinced me that this would by a vision i could share in as an ESO.

2.  The cinematic trailer.  You wasted your money on a generic cinematic trailer.  The cinematic trailer for Ultima ONline is awesome but says/shows nothing about the game.  I personally feel fans would have been better served by a good game play video.  I think it should be clear what players want to see.  The fact you release this instead speaks volumes about the coming ineptedtude.

3.  Your sell out attitude.  Morrowind was revolutionary, Oblivion was decent, Skyrim (well, lets not talk about the pc verson).  This online game does not stand out, its not distinctive and nothing, absoutely nothing, about it is innovative.

Please elaborate... I have been playing Skyrim on PC without any problems since release and have over 900+ hours banked on my characters. Skyrim is the best Elder Scrolls yet bub.  You are in a small minority if you believe otherwise.

4. What really seems to be happening here is someone has taken a box'd mmo and tryed to skin it as Elder scrolls.  I'm so sick of this and its why i only play Eve now.  They design the game then slap the IP on? Seriously?   This is suposed to be Elder Scrolls.  More generic crap with no thought put into creative character progression.   More levels? Seriously?  this has to be the new slogan for the game.

Once again, please show us proof this is a pre canned mmo game engine? I believe otherwise considering its Zenimax and Betheda whome never made and mmo before.  I am sure they will be using there own propritary technology for this one.  It has been in creation a longtime, just kept secret.  It's not like they through this together in a couple years... not sure why you think it was...

5.  I usually don't go out on the negative limb but from everything I see so far...The Elder Scrolls Online is off to a bad start and the company that you have implementing your generic MMO is completely and utterly releasing a generic mmo.

I agree to disagree on this one.

6.  This is not a vision of Elder Scrolls I can get behind.

It will feel and play just like Skyrim.... so it is the same vision they have for all thier games.

What a snooze fest!

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

I have made numerous posts about my dislike of the way the game has been designed in relation to factions. I simply don't like the out of the door restrictions and forced faction/race combo. It is a real sticking point for me. First I want to freedom to choose to join a faction or not or at least leave it. Second I want the freedom to go anywhere in the world reguardless of faction and face the consequences of doing so.

All that said, it really is too early to really know exactly what the game will be. Fancy CGI trailers and lots of lore really do not reveal what the game will actually be. I am still holding judgment untill we see more actual gameplay, system mechanic descriptions and general gameplay information.

It looks good now but aht is simply because we are not actually seeing the game or anything remotely valid as a tool to judge the game.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

As much as you and I love the Elder scrolls franchise (especially morrowind) don't treat this game like the IP is.

This is just another MMO: That is what i tell myself. SO if anything does amaze me when i get to actually PLAY the game and FEEL how it works then its all happy smiles here. If it's mediocre and not my thing. Oh well, im certainly used to that these days.

As to the person who says Skyrim is the best elder scrolls game. I would say most disagree with that. Morrowind has the cult following that skyrim will never reach.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

As much as you and I love the Elder scrolls franchise (especially morrowind) don't treat this game like the IP is.

This is just another MMO: That is what i tell myself. SO if anything does amaze me when i get to actually PLAY the game and FEEL how it works then its all happy smiles here. If it's mediocre and not my thing. Oh well, im certainly used to that these days.

As to the person who says Skyrim is the best elder scrolls game. I would say most disagree with that. Morrowind has the cult following that skyrim will never reach.

Skyrim has sold the most copies and is most replayed... a cult of followers is puny in size for morrowwind.  The game is dated and severly lacking in comparison.  Once again I will say "Skyrim is the best ES game to date" facts prove it. To each is thier own though... Hope to see you in game if you choose wisely.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    I had not cast my hype yet, but after this I shall cast a 10.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Honestly to me this seems a lot like DAoC 2....

Perhaps it is different than I envisioned a TES game would be, but rather than get stuck in a rut of requiring games ot have features X,Y or Z... I just want a fun game.   If it's fun, I will play.  If not... I won't.  Regardless of if it has classes or first/third person view or full/no loot.   It's all about the fun.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• fenring101fenring101 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by Betaguy

Skyrim has sold the most copies and is most replayed... a cult of followers is puny in size for morrowwind.  The game is dated and severly lacking in comparison.  Once again I will say "Skyrim is the best ES game to date" facts prove it. To each is thier own though... Hope to see you in game if you choose wisely.

Most sales does not always mean best, Skyrim sold more because it was more acceptable, the gameplay mechanics were dulled down until it hit the ease of execution that meant more people would give it a real chance. Does that make it better? If you think so then im sure you think the Toyota Corolla is probably the best car in the world...

Myself I prefer a car with more substance, but it is that attitude that makes sales. its more about accesability than it is about which has more substance and is better.

This is the failing of most MMOG makers these days, rather than trying to get people to expand their own horizons, they try to re-create one on the same level as the other fifty billion near identical games. 

Honestly if games companies had always been this stupid we would be stuck with Pong v45789522.57275

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

Yeah, i think that is the problem.  Once TES franchise went big it went ala Walmart /MacDonalds.  Are you suggesting that mass appeal makes a good game?  I know a good game when I see it. I  know a bad resturant when I see it.  TES is heading towards generics and generics what they're gonna get.

Protip Betaguy, if you want to make a point and not sound like you're talking down to people in their own freaking threads: don't call them "bub".

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Tbh your both right, Skyrim is the best TES game to date, but Morrowind was a much bigger step forward at the time than both Skyrim and Oblivion combined

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Rekindle
    1 sounds like you've already made your mind up
    2 well trailers are trailers. Swtor - awesome trailer, shite game. Eve - awesome trailers, great game. Gw2 poor trailer, ok game.
    3 skyrim isuch better
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Yeah, i think that is the problem.  Once TES franchise went big it went ala Walmart /MacDonalds.  Are you suggesting that mass appeal makes a good game?  I know a good game when I see it. I  know a bad resturant when I see it.  TES is heading towards generics and generics what they're gonna get.

Protip Betaguy, if you want to make a point and not sound like you're talking down to people in their own freaking threads: don't call them "bub".

Sounds like your on the hipster train being against anything that goes big for no reason at all besides it going big. All I see is someone with doomsday opinions on mmo's in general. You have some litterbox games coming down the pipe, so hang in there little buddy. Keep your head up.

3 skyrim is much better than oblivion, it brings back the Morrowind magic of living on an alien world
    4 Morrowind, oblivion and skyrim all have levels
    5 & 6 sounds like you'd made your mind up already, or are following the hipster groupthink of this forum.

Me, I will reserve judgement until I've seen more of it. I dont like the megaserver thing though.
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Honestly to me this seems a lot like DAoC 2....

Perhaps it is different than I envisioned a TES game would be, but rather than get stuck in a rut of requiring games ot have features X,Y or Z... I just want a fun game.   If it's fun, I will play.  If not... I won't.  Regardless of if it has classes or first/third person view or full/no loot.   It's all about the fun.

It's hard for me not to get stuck in the required-feature mindset, especially when considering the potential a series like Elder Scrolls has to actually do some amazing things in the MMO medium. It seems like such a wasted opportunity, but then again I think it's made clearly obvious by not taking their chance and running with it, that this really just another business model with a game attached.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200

The cinematic trailer is going to be the best part of this MMO from all this theme-parkisation of TES, looking at the amazing trailer they should have made a movie or TV serie instead of another WoW/GW2 clone.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Oh look, another time traveller! Please tell us more about this game from the future Doctor Who!
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by LlexX

The cinematic trailer is going to be the best part of this MMO from all this theme-parkisation of TES, looking at the amazing trailer they should have made a movie or TV serie instead of another WoW/GW2 clone.

Wow that is brilliant. A TV series would do this game justice or a mini movie, maybe make it anime style to appeal to east.

• kuratekurate Member UncommonPosts: 14

One name = Matt Frior.

idc how bad you think it is. hes got street cred.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    OP, I have my doubts for TESO as well, however none of the reasons you list in your post are issues in my view.
  • RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206
    Originally posted by Fearum

Sounds like your on the hipster train being against anything that goes big for no reason at all besides it going big. All I see is someone with doomsday opinions on mmo's in general. You have some litterbox games coming down the pipe, so hang in there little buddy. Keep your head up.

I have to be honest, I don't know WTF a hipster is.

If you have never camped the Princess at Kedge keep or ran from a train in Castlemistoor you probabaly can't relate to what is lacking in modern MMOs.

In early 2000 when I picked up UO I felt like I could make a bigger impact on the world than any game since ('cept maybe Eve ).  If Paul Sage didn't want to make another Wow clone we would have been able to run along the table and smash the wine bottles once a day or something.  If Paul Sage wanted to make a decent TESO then they would have made a game much more like a skill system rather than a level system.

All indications are this is a re-hued MMO of some sorts with TESO stuff spattered in.

Honestly. I know a lot of you like Wow and SWOTR and themepark games and many of you can't even fathom a game that doens't have a ! and quest hubs, but some of us were hoping and expecting more.

Originally posted by kurate

One name = Matt Frior.

idc how bad you think it is. hes got street cred.

What about Ray Muzyka, Richard Garriott, or Raph Koster? Didn't they have street cred once?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

OP, most of what you wrote reads as if you're upset that either the game got big enough to attract the riff raff or they are selling out to attract the masses.

But think of it this way - Sometimes you gotta sell out to bankroll your masterpiece.

"If you have never camped the Princess at Kedge keep or ran from a train in Castlemistoor you probabaly can't relate to what is lacking in modern MMOs."

You EQ flagellates really need to get over this "EQ = The One True Path" thing. It never was and never will be.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Rekindle
    Then those people won't like TESO either as it dies not feature either ! Or quest hubs.