Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Path of Exile: Dethroning Diablo?

Comments

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Loved FF X skill tree + loved D2 = POE gonna be blast for me :)
  • Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by tomato_kwan

Unlike in D3, you have a HUGE passive skill map to "commit" to. Yes, minor respec is available but full respec is close to unrealistic (building a new one is easier/cheaper)

No, most of the passives are just flat increase in damage, health or armor and its easy to get enough stats to use any skill on any character very early into the game. Even your example proves my point, all you have to do is swap out a gem and now you're toon is just like your friends. The differance between commiting to say an axe build vs a mace one is almost none exsistant. You just pick melee or archer or mage, from that point it hardly matters what you do.

Also my point was not about the importance of gear but about the gear itself. In games like PoE gear is so powerful it can have everything you could ever want on it, you dont really make decisions about how to gear your toons you just wear the items with the most stats.

You want an example of an ARPG with meaningful character building, checkout Demon Souls or Dark Souls.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

once again blizzard shows to be the master of inception. even with a 65% disappointment rate D3 fans swarm upon the PoE forums demanding they add a fucking auction house. sad shit. now it's just a major fucking idea seeded in the minds of ARPG players that the games need an auction house.

i wish blizzard had perfect retention for all their games so their fucking fans would leave other products alone.

Thats just wowtards wanting their insta gratification since they hate to work for anything, all blizzard game players are like that.

Anyway, I'll be honestly, I've played PoE and D3, is PoE is what D3 SHOULD have been, insted of the piece of shit it was. The problem was they had some asshat from high up in the wow dev chain making d3, that was their biggest mistake right there, then there was the fact the entire game of d3 was entirely setup to force everyone to use the rmt ah from the getgo, thats why the drop rate was so bad in the game. Then again a AH won't work in PoE due to the trading system it uses.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Im very curious about this title and im looking forward to todays open beta start.

There have been problems activating my account.

The support was superfriendly and fast, kudos there ^^

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

lol this game won't dethrone anything.....just stop....really, just stop.....

• ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by Psychow
    This thread is giving me GW2 hype flashbacks! I hope PoE is good. I intend on giving it a go...but please stop with the Diablo killer (ala WoW killer) talk.

The major difference here is that wow is hugely successful with lots of people playing it. Diablo 3 isn't. Sure d1&2 were great games but that franchise is already dead due to d3 so its not really a diablo killer as much as it is a game to fill the gap d3 hs left everyone.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

D3 dead? Dethroned?

Huh?

• ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by Rayshe

The biggest turn off for me was in the beginning with the lack of a currency. however the more i play the more i like it. It basically means i wont be picking up every item and running back to town to sell everything. the more i play it the more i prefer it over D3 (kinda obvious really) my ranger is currently built to be the main tank of the group. This is why i love the game. you can generaly do anything with it.

Ill be playing it, im even trying to get acouple friends to play with.

You kidding me right? This game has the best currency system -- you can actually USE the currency; thus there is no need to come up with a(n extra) currency sink.

It's very interesting to see the rate in SC differs a little bit from that in HC, and the currency ratio is VERY different in long races.

Anyways.....It's gonna be F2P within 20hours -- it won't hurt anyone to try. It's worth trying even if it only means a few hours of free entertainment -- and most that have tried will probably end up liking it.

You realise he was actually saying he liked the currency system right? He pretty much said he likes the currency system but found ot took a while to get used to then you replied with a comeback to them not liking it. People confuse me sometimes...

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

played in the first beta and bought it right away......to me this IS the best RPG in many years, D3 falls into nothing compared to POE.....hell i enjoyed TL2 ALOT more then D3.

So no need to compare actually......POE is a whole other league then D3.

No wonder D3 fans are also interested in POE......its the smart thing to do :p

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by ereyethirn
    This thread is giving me GW2 hype flashbacks! I hope PoE is good. I intend on giving it a go...but please stop with the Diablo killer (ala WoW killer) talk.

The major difference here is that wow is hugely successful with lots of people playing it. Diablo 3 isn't. Sure d1&2 were great games but that franchise is already dead due to d3 so its not really a diablo killer as much as it is a game to fill the gap d3 hs left everyone.

Last time I checked D3 was definitely not dead. If D3 is dead, then what can we say about games like TL2 which have like one millionth of D3's population and Tl2 released 3 months after D3?

D3 is getting better and better with every single patch. I won't be suprised if it ends up being as good as D2 after its first expansion. LoD did wonders for D2. 

PoE sounds like a fun game from what I've read but until I have played it, it's hard to pass judgement on the game. I thought TL2 was going to be fun. Well, it wasn't. And there was no mod editor at release (main selling point) and I believe it still hasn't been released.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    If I could harness fanboyism you could run the lights of vegas for a whole month with the amount of PoE fanboyism in this thread.  Truth be told we could run the light of vegas for a whole year with the amount of dissapointment that will come once PoE is released.
    Originally posted by expresso
    If I could harness fanboyism you could run the lights of vegas for a whole month with the amount of PoE fanboyism in this thread.  Truth be told we could run the light of vegas for a whole year with the amount of dissapointment that will come once PoE is released.

lolz m8, that is what they sayd to me when i started playing GW2 too.....i still love the game altough you critics (read: HC gamers) seem to think GW2 is dead already......so its all a matter of taste imho.....and yeah imho POE is WAY better then D3 (and i still am a blizz fan and prolly always will be).

I just call things as i see them.....its called an opinion, not the absolute truth.....live with it.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Last time I checked D3 was definitely not dead. If D3 is dead, then what can we say about games like TL2 which have like one millionth of D3's population and Tl2 released 3 months after D3?

D3 is getting better and better with every single patch. I won't be suprised if it ends up being as good as D2 after its first expansion. LoD did wonders for D2. 

PoE sounds like a fun game from what I've read but until I have played it, it's hard to pass judgement on the game. I thought TL2 was going to be fun. Well, it wasn't. And there was no mod editor at release (main selling point) and I believe it still hasn't been released.

I fully agree with this. Slowly but surely, D3 is turning into a better game, with every patch. Some expansion like LoD was would turn the game around for good. It has the potential to be way better than D2. On the other hand, i've beta'ed PoE for some time, it has incredibly great ideas, a darker atmosphere, a bit of "old school" feeling and definitely better itemisation, but it will never have the level of polish and smooth gameplay which D3 has.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200

Ive been a longtime Diablo fan, i grow up on D1 and D2 playing them for a decade+, but i lost my fate in the Diablo series with its newest D3 release, it was a real disappointment for me compared to the previous releases.

PoE is different from D3, its a real masterpiece, its enjoyable and complex, something what was taken away from D3.

And telling that D3 is the best game because it was sold over 6m copies is like telling that Bieber is the best singer because he has a video on YT with over 800m+ views. Just wake up already and stop listening to these brainwashing marketing!

Originally posted by LlexX

Ive been a longtime Diablo fan, i grow up on D1 and D2 playing them for a decade+, but i lost my fate in the Diablo series with its newest D3 release, it was a real disappointment for me compared to the previous releases.

PoE is different from D3, its a real masterpiece, its enjoyable and complex, something what was taken away from D3.

And telling that D3 is the best game because it was sold over 6m copies is like telling that Bieber is the best singer because he has a video on YT with over 800m+ views. Just wake up already and stop listening to these brainwashing marketing!

amen bro :)

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    It's funny how everyone wants to talk about D3 when POE comes up. It's like the only reason they think it exists is to not be D3. When POE sells six million plus you can start the dethroning bandwagon. Until then do the world a favor and talk about POE when you're talking about POE.

The Diablo franchise was where the iso-ARPG began and ended for almost 15 years. Other titles were never remotely as iconic (Sacred, Titan Quest, etc.), Diablo overshadowed everything easily.

And it's kind of hard for a lot of people to cast off that shadow.

I do agree, however, with your sentiment: PoE is a grand game in its own right, and constantly measuring it up to Diablo is, by all the ubiqitousness of Diablo in the past, doing Path Of Exile a disservice.

It's time to embark on our journey to Wraeclast, and leave old shores behind.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Sometimes its ok to not compare, and just kick back and enjoy the moment. I think PoE is going to be a very enjoyable game, and some of you are going to let Diablo or Torchlight, or some disgruntled persons argument steal that joy, and some of you are going to be able as I hopefully will be able to do, and that's just kick back and enjoy.
  • FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
  • nermindnermind Member Posts: 3

Looking at my PoE forum account it says I joined 23rd of April ... 2011!

Hard to believe its been keeping my attention all this time, I've had a fair share of beta testing during the time and I'm very excited about getting back to actively playing since my progress won't ever be reset again.

Surely its not a game for everyone, but I'm one of the many D2 (not 3) fans who feel like THIS is how the game we waited for so long should have looked and felt like (=

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

once again blizzard shows to be the master of inception. even with a 65% disappointment rate D3 fans swarm upon the PoE forums demanding they add a fucking auction house. sad shit. now it's just a major fucking idea seeded in the minds of ARPG players that the games need an auction house.

i wish blizzard had perfect retention for all their games so their fucking fans would leave other products alone.

This major idea you are mentioning can only been seeded in the minds of the young and not on mature players.

Young opinions is like soft air that cannot change things.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by endgame1
    I've decided after some time in beta that POE probably isn't for me, but I wish GGG the best. The character building aspects of the game are great, and I think the company really cares about the integrity of the project. 

Why not? Explain.

Originally posted by Teh_Axi

PoE is a decent game but unfortunately it's a deceptively simple one. Ironically at its core is has the same issue D3 has, what I like to call "super character syndrome", the skill gem system even means you don't have to commit to anything at all just like D3. In the end its just another slot machine game, you punch mobs till the perfect super items fall out.

That probably reads more negative than I intend, if you're a fan of ARPGs then PoE is definately worth a look.

You couldn't be more wrong. At least in PoE you can get good drops on a regular basis AND the roll ranges are tighter for each given level. In D3 you'd get rares and legendaries with horrible rolls, most being vendor trash. PoE gets it right.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    1st time ARPG guy here. I hope it's as cool as you guys say! 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by simmihi
    Originally posted by fivoroth

I fully agree with this. Slowly but surely, D3 is turning into a better game, with every patch. Some expansion like LoD was would turn the game around for good. It has the potential to be way better than D2. On the other hand, i've beta'ed PoE for some time, it has incredibly great ideas, a darker atmosphere, a bit of "old school" feeling and definitely better itemisation, but it will never have the level of polish and smooth gameplay which D3 has.

Are you sure you are playing D3? It is nothing more than a shallow action game, meant to milk all of us old D1 & D2 lovers via horrible drop rates/rolls which funnels you to an AH that is essentially mandatory. Log into D3 right now and tell us how many public games are being played. I would but I've already uninstalled that piece of trash.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    I enjoyed my time in beta in POE. Took a break so there would still be new things for live. Definately will be starting back up once its Live.