Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Botters already

PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member

[Edit: This is why we just can't have nice things.]

It seems like botters may be becoming a problem for AcheAge.

http://archeagesource.com/topic/1301-inpact-of-botters/

I don't expect a Korean developer to go after botters very aggressively. This could be a gamebreaker for me.

Anyone else see botters in game? How do you think botters will affect AA?

Comments

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,506Member Uncommon

It depends on a publisher - its all about what the publisher will do to address the problem.

Korean publishers may not give a damn, it doesn't mean that it will be the same in other regions.

• SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Odym, CAPosts: 80Member

It might take the publisher, whoever it is, to adjust to the problem.

Once started, it shouldn't present a problem, period.

All Will Be Well.....

• KumaponKumapon Vancouver, BCPosts: 705Member Uncommon

To be fair during the OB the botting was everywhere. Other players were scared of killing them from fear of going to prison.

Video of Bot trains in OB

Botting is very harmful in a game like AA, as resources are needed to build cities, to siege and conquer. To repair your city after an attack, to rebuild your conquered city as you see fit.

But Xl games has been taking a hard stance on botting since release.
    Just yesterday they banned 22,000 accounts

One of the reasons why ArcheAge is beating both Aion and Blade and Soul in Korea is XL games communication with the public, and their great customer service.

• PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member
    Originally posted by Kumapon

One of the reasons why ArcheAge is beating both Aion and Blade ans Soul in Korea is XL games communication with the public, and their great customer service.

This is encouraging and I hope botters will be deterred and soon eliminated from this game.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,255Member Uncommon
    I am confused. how does Botters effect non botters? I usually just ignore them and have fun doing whats fun to me. why worry what others do?

• OnomasOnomas Rock Hill, SCPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    I am confused. how does Botters effect non botters? I usually just ignore them and have fun doing whats fun to me. why worry what others do?

Exactly, but they do effect the player based economy which is a bad thing.Since AA isnt your average loot based economy system botters usualy help mess up balance in a player based economy. But with open world pvp, just kill em all.

• NiburuNiburu BerlinPosts: 378Member Uncommon

i guess you never played a ressource driven MMORPG ?

Botters will collect lots of materials and will influence the economoy+having a huge advantage because of better gear.

• ikarrianikarrian SPosts: 122Member

Running bot-scripts tend to put servers on very high load. Because of all the information, wich a normal human player dont create when played normaly.

Bots should always be reported.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 uniondale, NYPosts: 346Member

you seemed to understand whatever problems they posed when GW2 had its upflare in botting. hilarious.

• sea.shellsea.shell SelfossPosts: 63Member

Botters ruin the Economy, especially in games where important gear / consumables / crafting parts are tradeable. Sure in a game where the best gear is bound and farmed in an instance / raid. This isn't much of an issue. But as soon as you have a more sandbox approach to items and gear you run into the following issues:

There are steps to how Botters and (farmers who have bots run) affect YOUR game:

1. Step: They dump the prices for common materials and gear (consumables). Which doesn't sound bad - but this also means what you regulary get dropped from monsters is worth nothing and will not let you earn any money.

2. Step: Rare ingredients / Gear will be broader in supply (bots farm more than any regular player driven economy could) but will be ridiculous priced.

3. Step: due to huge amount of money generated vs spend (bot's don't consume, don't gear rare gear, they only bring materials and money into the market) they make the money *YOU* have less worth. The botter's are so incredibly rich compared to normal playing people.

4. Step: Botters block *Your* farming and monster spawns. Not every game is Free pvp - so you are out of luck to fight a monster there or need at least to spend huge chunks of your time dealing with them rather than earning xp / ressources / gold in an pvp game.

4. Step: You are tempted to buy huge summs of inflated Gold, because what you can earn as an invidual player is less than you could ever hope for. Or spend the rest of your game to farm for medicore gear. (Those games are not build and balanced around that an indivdual gamer or a small band of players could viable farm everything they want on their own. Trading is a planned must.)

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

• wallet113wallet113 normal, ILPosts: 231Member
    Originally posted by Niburu

Botters will collect lots of materials and will influence the economoy+having a huge advantage because of better gear.

I don't mind botters at all, as long as it doesnt ruin my fun with the game.

FFXI - botters were rampant. but the economy sucked already, things was way over priced (wasn't because of botters), I knew several people who sold mats + items way way over priced. but i didn't really buy things or sell things on the AH, so it wasn't a big deal for me. Oh yeah crafting was all about farming and grinding till you got sick, so i didn't really blame botters.

Warhammer Online - didn't see alot of botters, but my guildmaster on my server controlled the AH. of coure everyone complained on the warhammer forum about him all the time.

WoW - i left after burning crusade, botters/farmers didn't effect my game play

Ultima Online - well not real botters,  but it didnt affect us in any way because you could just kill them if they were botting (pre-tram)

SWTOR - didn't affect me at all

GW2 - there was and still some botters (using map hacks) but it doesn't affect a player since everyone gets a node for themselves it seems.

anyways i've played lots of major title MMOs and having botters never ruined the game for me and i'm a major crafter nut.

the ONLY thing that annoys me to no end, is the constant whispers/tells  of gold offers,  thats the only thing that pisses me off.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Puerto OrdazPosts: 1,065Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by wallet113
    Originally posted by Niburu

I don't mind botters at all, as long as it doesnt ruin my fun with the game.

FFXI - botters were rampant. but the economy sucked already, things was way over priced (wasn't because of botters), I knew several people who sold mats + items way way over priced. but i didn't really buy things or sell things on the AH, so it wasn't a big deal for me. Oh yeah crafting was all about farming and grinding till you got sick, so i didn't really blame botters.

Warhammer Online - didn't see alot of botters, but my guildmaster on my server controlled the AH. of coure everyone complained on the warhammer forum about him all the time.

WoW - i left after burning crusade, botters/farmers didn't effect my game play

Ultima Online - well not real botters,  but it didnt affect us in any way because you could just kill them if they were botting (pre-tram)

SWTOR - didn't affect me at all

GW2 - there was and still some botters (using map hacks) but it doesn't affect a player since everyone gets a node for themselves it seems.

anyways i've played lots of major title MMOs and having botters never ruined the game for me and i'm a major crafter nut.

the ONLY thing that annoys me to no end, is the constant whispers/tells  of gold offers,  thats the only thing that pisses me off.

Actually, in GW2 bots do affect the players, but not in the way most people think. I remember sometime ago there were lots of posts in the forums complaining about how prices for gold to gems and raw crafting materials in the trading post were increasing so much... well, I'd say it's working as expected considering that just a few days ago there were reported mass banning of thousands of bot accounts, who were farming gold to sell by mass farming raw materials and selling on trading post.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    If you share nodes for ore, wood, etc, botters do affect the economy in a big way.  But, if the system of the game allows such things to occur, it will only get worse instead of better.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

• hikaru77hikaru77 buenos airesPosts: 1,035Member Uncommon
    A korean MMO wiht bots and farmers? nah, you are lying?
  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

you seemed to understand whatever problems they posed when GW2 had its upflare in botting. hilarious.

haha. Owned!

• PivotelitePivotelite Hamilton, ONPosts: 2,167Member

There's really no telling how it will go down here.

Archeage just banned 25,000 botters accounts so they are being pretty strict, Blade and Soul currently has a huge bot problem as well and so did TERA.

However when TERA released here very few bots were around in comparison to Korea, so little in fact most players never saw one, you had to know where to look to see the odd bot. So with that being said, well have to wait and see how it plays out.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon UnkownPosts: 565Member Uncommon
    People shouldn't really make such a big deal of it. Want materials to build a ship but prices are high on the AH due to inflation? Gather your own. Want to craft your own gear? Same thing. Auction House is just convenience not game breaking
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,643Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

This could be a gamebreaker for me.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KarteliKarteli Providence, PAPosts: 2,646Member
    Originally posted by Kumapon
    [ snip ]

One of the reasons why ArcheAge is beating both Aion and Blade and Soul in Korea is XL games communication with the public, and their great customer service.

Glad to hear that.  Bots will be in any game really, so it really just comes down to the proportion of bots to legitimate players.  Some games are definitely better than others in this area.

An interesting security feature in that article you linked is that there is an option to check / uncheck "use only 1 computer".  Very useful, I'd say, to avoid misunderstandings (like unnecessary account locks in WoW) - check it off when you are in 1 locale for awhile, uncheck it when you are traveling.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• paulythebpaulytheb Wauwatosa, WIPosts: 261Member Uncommon
    I will have an opinion on botters in AA as soon as I can log in and view the problem for myself.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• stringboistringboi Atlanta, GAPosts: 394Member
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon
    People shouldn't really make such a big deal of it. Want materials to build a ship but prices are high on the AH due to inflation? Gather your own. Want to craft your own gear? Same thing. Auction House is just convenience not game breaking

I'm not sure how gathering is done in this game...but if resources are shared and there is an army of bots hitting every node doesnt this make it difficult to just gather your own?  I'm all about doing my own work for what I want in a game....but it is extremely frustrating going for a gather point, only to have a train of bots get to it before me...and theres nothing I can do because if I attack them, their train of bots will destroy me.  

I remember when Lineage II came out and they would have parties of bots in the dungeons or open areas just farming for days on end, if you flagged by hitting one of them...the whole party would wreck you.  If you dropped armor or weapons, they stole it.....there was nothing you could do.   When us normal players want to enjoy the game the way it was meant to be played, this kind of action from bots can not and should not be tolerated.  And a group of automated bots is NOT the way these games are supposed to be played.  

• azzamasinazzamasin Butler, OHPosts: 3,066Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

Yup gotta love the hypocricy on these forums.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• taus01taus01 MunichPosts: 1,352Member

Originally posted by SaintWalker44

It might take the publisher, whoever it is, to adjust to the problem.

Once started, it shouldn't present a problem, period.

Originally posted by DMKano

It depends on a publisher - its all about what the publisher will do to address the problem.

Korean publishers may not give a damn, it doesn't mean that it will be the same in other regions.

Trion is the publisher

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"