Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Elder Scrolls Online: Paul Sage Talks Beta, Crafting, and Progression

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by boxsnd My hype level goes up every time someone mentions DAoC in a TESO thread :( I can't control it damnit.

Same here. I am trying my best not to get hyped up over TESO but everytime Daoc is brought up, wonderful memories of Pre- ToA come to mind and the years of fun I had with a great RvR game that had the best community ever in an mmorpg.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by boxsnd

My hype level goes up every time someone mentions DAoC in a TESO thread :( I can't control it damnit.

ha! Yes, one of the main deciding factors for me liking TESO will be the RvR system. I hope it's similar to DAOC.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Getting a straight answer from this guy is like nailing jello to the wall.

I would get annoyed with this shit if I were Mr. Murphy.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    looks like a real PvP MMO, maybe the 1st one after Daoc and Warhammer (gw2 is a casual joke not a pvp MMO). Is coming this year, right?
  • SatchoSatcho Member UncommonPosts: 34
    On to wait for ArcheAge to release in NA... I can't understand why they would refrain from adding OWPvP when you have 3 factions to go at it in the vast open world. At least have another "megaserver" with some kind of PvP ruleset for us the PvPrs. This alone kept me away from LotRO, GW2... :(
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Oh geez..  PvP centered MMO, here we go again!

I'll check back in when they add 'open world' guild or player housing.  I'm sick and tired of the WoW treadmill that is nearly every AAA MMO developed in the past decade.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    the first mmorpg in a long time to have a traditional end game and giant pvp persistant battleground like DAOC yet people here still bitch and moan. He talks about tons of skyrim elements including how crafting effects play and how you can pretty much custom your character to anyway you like . Some of the people here no matter what any game does cannot please them and just need to seriously stop posting here. This was a good interview with plenty of info yet people are complaining that its not enough info.... Seriously some of you guys here are nothing but buzzkills for real. Give it a rest and wait til at least beta is off NDA and the game is somewhat complete before you complain for no reason other than random tantrums on this site. I complain and moan myself about games here to but man at least i wait until they are released to do so. Good interview with lots of info regardless of the naysayers here and I enjoyed the podcast.
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

One ray of hope for me is when talking about factions and guilds. Anyone else pick up on the lack of confirmation about being able to join another faction's guild?

If I were to hope beyond hope it would be that they are introducing a way to leave your faction and join anothersomehow, maybe some sort of betrayal quest or similar system to choose to join another faction...or perhaps some sort of spy system....lets hope as the rest of the game sounds like it could be cool, just the faction restrictions are really bugging me. Sort that out and I will be a little happier...

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

One ray of hope for me is when talking about factions and guilds. Anyone else pick up on the lack of confirmation about being able to join another faction's guild?

If I were to hope beyond hope it would be that they are introducing a way to leave your faction and join anothersomehow, maybe some sort of betrayal quest or similar system to choose to join another faction...or perhaps some sort of spy system....lets hope as the rest of the game sounds like it could be cool, just the faction restrictions are really bugging me. Sort that out and I will be a little happier...

They have asymmetrical factions for a reason.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Im a HUGE skeptic of TESO but since I gave GW2 a shot ill give TESO a shot aswell. Only time will tell.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by cronius77
    the first mmorpg in a long time to have a traditional end game and giant pvp persistant battleground like DAOC yet people here still bitch and moan. He talks about tons of skyrim elements including how crafting effects play and how you can pretty much custom your character to anyway you like . Some of the people here no matter what any game does cannot please them and just need to seriously stop posting here. This was a good interview with plenty of info yet people are complaining that its not enough info.... Seriously some of you guys here are nothing but buzzkills for real. Give it a rest and wait til at least beta is off NDA and the game is somewhat complete before you complain for no reason other than random tantrums on this site. I complain and moan myself about games here to but man at least i wait until they are released to do so. Good interview with lots of info regardless of the naysayers here and I enjoyed the podcast.

Thats becasue these people only follow sandbox games with shitty features and a shoestring budget.

The MMORPG.com "Hipster".

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by bcbully

*raises hand*

The combat and itemization sound really good, but I think confining pvp to a single zone will hurt this game replayability. I'm really concerned about his. I'm concerned from experience. Swtor, TSW, and GW2 tried this. As a pvpr these 3 games all lacked staying power.

Well first off GW2's PvP is really strong and popular so check that off your list.

SWTOR used a crappy engine for massive PvP battles so that it's downfall.

TSW's zone is about the size of a shoebox and lacked any substance.

That leaves, which you failed to mention, DAoC.  Arguably the best PvP game that ever was.  Seeing as that Cyrodill is suppoed to be about the size of all 3 frontiers in DAoC combined then you can only postulate how good this game could be.  Especially considering there is going to be terretorial control, resorce control, AvA (Alliance vs Alliance) ranks and a Darkness Falls style dungeon.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's how big the zone is, whole of cyrodil sounds a heck loads better than tsw and swtors tiny offerings.
  • pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276
    Tell us the only thing that matters, what is there to do end game? You can make the best game in the world but if there is nothing to do in a week after release then what? 
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Cautiously optimistic.  

After viewing this -   I have concerns about the combat. Not sure how well 'click-to-attack' will translate to an MMO setting.  Is it going to be a slower-DCUO like combat? Also does anyone know if you can move while attacking/casting?  Video implies you are rooted.

The world looks nice.  In some ways it reminds of GW2 (the whole focus on exploration, you have to find quests, etc). Elder Scrolls (on PC) has always been good with Lore and immersion. Hope they can translate that.  The aesthetics looked toned down from say Skyrim but still has the Skyrim (interface) look and feel.  I dont know.  To me this MMO *screams* housing yet I know they adamantly said it was not going to be added.  Dont understand it but maybe I will when I play it.  I just know I will want a place to store all of my stuff and display it.  Yeah I can have a bank, its just that a house would be much better.  I also hope they go into the item detail of Skyrim.  I want to be able to pick up every cup, berry, fork, etc.

Hope the crafting is as valuable as they claim.  Too many MMOs have it as an after thought.  It would be great to craft weapons/armor that is equal/better than quest drops.

EDIT: Does look like you can move as you attack (though it looked stilted in the video as opposed to fluid)

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

Approach any new game before it's released much like pulling up and seeing a car wreck. You know it's a bad thing from far away, but their might be a good chance your ex-wife is in there somewhere with her boyfriend.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Eh - if they pull of the combat and advancement right - we can hope for one day being able to push for a FFA PvP server.

I'm just tired of games with - stale combat, stale advancement (progression), and stale content.

If they can fix just one of those gripes - I'd be willing to put $ down.

• PhramePhrame Member Posts: 29

"even when one hits the level cap of 50, you're still only about 1/3 of the way towards fully developing your character."

What then, I wonder, is the point of having a level cap in the first place? Why can't the entire game be like that 2/3 portion after you hit the level cap? Just remove the levels and have the entire game be skill progression based?

All level caps seem to do is force players through certain content to get to later content. But the same effect can be achieved via smart design choices. Incentivizing players to explore areas or making some areas significantly more difficult than others, for example...

I'm looking forward to seeing how this game turns out! But I'm concerned that the developers may be too worried about mmo conventions instead of focusing on classic TES features 

• GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301

Hands down the best interview I've seen on this site Bill.  Well done, Sir, well done.

Most excited about his comments on relevant crafting.  This alone will do wonders for the in-game economy.  Can't wait.

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."

• YellowbearddYellowbeardd Member UncommonPosts: 83
    No crime in getting hyped over a game, what made you lord of not getting hyped??? lol calm down people can hype all they want, just like you can cry about it all you want.
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    I'm left weeping for the form, that commercialization and mass production have actually produced fewer options for development amongst the genre, rather than many.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    from what ive read and seen thus far it has a lot of the skyrim style combat system where your skills go up with use and that is what i would love to see in mmorpgs. Thats the one awesome thing i missed about star wars galaxies back in the day was how you could fine tune your character based on what skill you were using . If you wanted scout experience you had to lay a tent and scavage creatures or mask scent etc . I miss that in games big time and Ive been playing skyrim the last few months exclusively and a little new vegas also. I do not see any issues with pvp as end game and factions nor do i see any issues with combat if they use the similiar skyrim system with skills , though they do have classes. Im actually looking forward to seeing how this turns out in the end because I really think this studio can pull off a great mmorpg personally. Its not like you see many people complaining about skyrim do you? Plus a fallout 4 is in the works as well so I think either way in the end ill be happy. Im a very large fan of the elder scrolls and fallout series and do not in any way feel offended at how they are doing TESO.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    It sounds so similar to GW2 that I am a bit skeptical.  That said, the obvious comparisons to DAoC leave me somewhat hopeful as well.  Will be interesting to follow, at least.
  • mastergravymastergravy Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Please dont divide the factions in pve. do it for just pvp or some shit. dont weaken the player base per faction
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Vonatar
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    My friends and I have been waiting for an Elder Scrolls MMO since Morrowind. Here's to hoping they get it right, I have faith!

They haven't. If you like me have been hoping for a true Elder Scrolls MMO this isn't it. This is DAoC 2 in Tamriel. Not saying it will be a bad game, and maybe it'll be fun to play, but take it for what it is. Otherwise you'll just be disappointed.

Oh my god! Vonatar is already in Beta! Tell us more!

*rolls eyes*