Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Race/Faction Seperation will ruin the game for me...

I was so looking forward to an Elder scrolls mmo since i played morowind, i always hopped for a coop/mmo of tes, but after seeing that the races are split up seriously depressed me.

Me and friends play this game together but not all play the same race, so the fact we will be forced to play eachothers race just to play together is a seriously big let down and turn off.

Secondly the fact that if i make a Nord then i wont be able to see like 63% of the game world, i only play 1 char in mmo's i like to build 1 char and create a story ect and spend all my time on him no alts, so the fact i will be forced to make 3 chars and 3 names and have to join 3 guilds and make 3 sets of friends will be very anoying and against everything i wish to do in an elder scrolls game, i had 1 char in skyrim so why cant i in this? being forced to be seperated from guild and friends to see the rest of the world is a cuntish thing for them to do.

Thirdly i do not see why they did not allow us to pick race and then join a faction at least or just use the factions for pvp after you picked one, if a british person wants to go join alqaeda he can do so... so removing choice from the game in such a narrow single minded way like this i fear will kill the game.

I really hope, god only knows how... that they will redesign this and let us pick our race and faction and see ALL the world on 1 char, i fear the way it is currently heading will cause the game to die out and become desolate after 3-6 months.

EDIT: TESO will be a MEGA server, meaning everyone in the world plays on 1 server, we will not get a choice of servers as the tech is built to ensure 1 big pop server forever, this means we will likely not get a cross faction server ect.

Comments

• GreenWidowGreenWidow Member Posts: 157

This serves one purpose, to force PVP down our throats.  That's the entire point of a 3 faction system.

Those of us who think pvp in an mmo is beyond stupid just have to suffer this if we want to play the game.

The plethora of MMO's that have failed because of this model or those like it...evidently is not enough for some developers to realize that the PVP based model...DOES NOT WORK.

I really want to play this game but I've said it once and will say it again, if they do not provide a NON-pvp oriented server where I can explore and craft and fight mobs as I see fit without ganking 10 year olds ruining the game for me...I will not play it.  I sure as hell will not pay for that.

If that is to be there focus...they will fail like every other game before them attempting this.  They wont listen to anyone telling them this because the vocal MINORITY of pvper's rant and blather louder than pve'ers who generally don't put their 2 cents in until it's too late.

Maybe they got this moronic idea from all the other games in the TES franchise that offered PVP....oh...wait...yeah.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”The Iron Code"

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Either of you think that the game may just not be for you? And that it does not preclude it being great for others?

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by AdamChattaway

I was so looking forward to an Elder scrolls mmo since i played morowind, i always hopped for a coop/mmo of tes, but after seeing that the races are split up seriously depressed me.

Me and friends play this game together but not all play the same race, so the fact we will be forced to play eachothers race just to play together is a seriously big let down and turn off.

Secondly the fact that if i make a Nord then i wont be able to see like 63% of the game world, i only play 1 char in mmo's i like to build 1 char and create a story ect and spend all my time on him no alts, so the fact i will be forced to make 3 chars and 3 names and have to join 3 guilds and make 3 sets of friends will be very anoying and against everything i wish to do in an elder scrolls game, i had 1 char in skyrim so why cant i in this? being forced to be seperated from guild and friends to see the rest of the world is a cuntish thing for them to do.

Thirdly i do not see why they did not allow us to pick race and then join a faction at least or just use the factions for pvp after you picked one, if a british person wants to go join alqaeda he can do so... so removing choice from the game in such a narrow single minded way like this i fear will kill the game.

I really hope, god only knows how... that they will redesign this and let us pick our race and faction and see ALL the world on 1 char, i fear the way it is currently heading will cause the game to die out and become desolate after 3-6 months.

Hey, can you explain how this faction system work? Or link to info about this, so I can read it.

Is the world split up in 3 parts, split by invis walls or something? Won't the factions ever mix outside of a PvP zone?

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Maybe they will have a special PvE server. DAOC did that, and allowed all races to group together and go anywhere.
  • Hello, yes 3 races per faction, they are split up and quest in their own areas. Go to their main website and watch the introduction video and view a map of TESO on google, you will see the seperation, the only place we will all meet is in the middle for pvp.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

OP and others you guys do not have a clue who is working on this game do you? Look at where the main leads are from and i think you can see why its factional pvp and areas. These guys are from UO and DAOC and people for years have been asking for a DAOC like game since mythic laid everyone off and devs went elsewhere to work. Even in Skyrim some races hate each other pretty bad so faction does work regardless of what some people here think. I honestly like the idea of factions just like wow DAOC WAR hell even EQ2 screwed the pooch with letting factions group together that were good and evil.

While we can understand some of you hate pvp here and do not want it in TESO if the devs want it that way respect it or do not play seriously. I do not pvp all the time anymore either but if you played DAOC you would remember that there was plenty of lore behind their pve and factions in each realm. Also this gives the game three times the amount of replay value if they keep the game locked zones away from the other factions. Think of it this way when you start a new toon you will be able to see  a different story and landmass with new lore etc at least for two alts and a main. Its not so bad seriously and i do not understand why people here have to hate on the factions so much.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

I could care less either way, but he did hint in the video interview today that it wasnt set in stone the 3 not being able to grouup together.

So me thinks they will have servers that you are able to play with all 3 factions.

• Originally posted by cronius77

OP and others you guys do not have a clue who is working on this game do you? Look at where the main leads are from and i think you can see why its factional pvp and areas. These guys are from UO and DAOC and people for years have been asking for a DAOC like game since mythic laid everyone off and devs went elsewhere to work. Even in Skyrim some races hate each other pretty bad so faction does work regardless of what some people here think. I honestly like the idea of factions just like wow DAOC WAR hell even EQ2 screwed the pooch with letting factions group together that were good and evil.

While we can understand some of you hate pvp here and do not want it in TESO if the devs want it that way respect it or do not play seriously. I do not pvp all the time anymore either but if you played DAOC you would remember that there was plenty of lore behind their pve and factions in each realm. Also this gives the game three times the amount of replay value if they keep the game locked zones away from the other factions. Think of it this way when you start a new toon you will be able to see  a different story and landmass with new lore etc at least for two alts and a main. Its not so bad seriously and i do not understand why people here have to hate on the factions so much.

Well firstly im mainly a pvper endgame, but not allowing me as a nord to play with my friend who is a breton is not fair, we want to pvp together but cant? as for 3x the story it really is not, if i do 3 zones on 1 char is the same as 3 zones on 3 chars, id prefer to keep all 3 zones on 1 char so i can grow my char and play only him.

being forced to play a race/faction you do not like nor want just to play with friends is fucking stupid, if they want 3 faction pvp fine, leave the pve questing zones and race restrictions out of it.

• Mega server = no servers, we ALL play on ONE BIG server, think eve online or STO.
  • PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by cronius77

I don't think it's about the 3 faction design on it's own, a lot of people hold DAOC above all to this day, when it comes to PvP.

What I think people are really upset about is the fact that they are doing it to The Elder Scrolls, when you build a game on an already known IP, you gotta build it for the IP, not build GameX and dress it up as TES.

Especially TES, known for huge open world, go anywhere, anytime... exploring the world.. Then it doesn't really make much sense to divide the world, and limit players in where they can go... I think that's what this thread is about.

I guess they can bend the lore to fit that kind limitation if they are making TESO take place way before the single player games were happening.

I must admit though, that I haven't read up on TESO, I don't know how it will work, so I'm not really on either side, just saying.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

I know who's working on this game.  TES has been setting the standard for RPGs for years, it doesn't need UO or DAoC.

Some races did hate each other yet they are putting those races together in one faction - what kind of twisted logic is this?  Despite what the majority of the races feel about each other, this is about developing your own character and making the choice to be racist or not.

The factions shouldn't have been racial but rather 3 different groups fighting for the crown.

Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Either of you think that the game may just not be for you? And that it does not preclude it being great for others?

Hell I wish the developers asked themselves this question before they decided to convert an outstanding IP to their vision of DAoC2.

• BlackcatZeroBlackcatZero Member UncommonPosts: 58
    guys this is going beta get in and let them know how you feel about the 3 diffrent race thing and yes they're should be one on a PVE server but this is a PVP game. and they said they could not  tell you everything so jump in and do whatever you want the gameplayers
    ules stop you find out how the game works  in the game before screaming.
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by sapphen

Hell I wish the developers asked themselves this question before they decided to convert an outstanding IP to their vision of DAoC2.

Why? They have no responsibility to you. Until you actually get on hands with the game you really cannot say much of anything honestly. There is so little information to go on right now that drawing any conclusions is frankly stupid.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

Originally posted by BlackcatZero
    guys this is going beta get in and let them know how you feel about the 3 diffrent race thing and yes they're should be one on a PVE server but this is a PVP game. and they said they could not  tell you everything so jump in and do whatever you want the gameplayers
    ules stop you find out how the game works  in the game before screaming.

This game did need a good PvP system.  DAoC did have good system but they shouldn't have forced us into a faction nor should the factions have been racial.  They could be lead by the different races, they could own the starting areas that each race begins at but they shouldn't have taken away the player's choice.  Even if it was a requirement to join a faction before taking part in PvP/AvA.

With that said, you're pretty positive about this - I like your attitude.  There isn't much we can do complaining on the forums but I'm worried that it's too late to change what they've already done.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

I agree this is the worst part of the game. My friend always plays cat type characters and I play barbarian types. We will not be in the same faction and will miss much of the fun together.

Factions have traitors so unless that is a possibility they will most definately lose some long term customers.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

Why? They have no responsibility to you. Until you actually get on hands with the game you really cannot say much of anything honestly. There is so little information to go on right now that drawing any conclusions is frankly stupid.

I'm only speaking facts;  Races are locked into factions and areas are blocked off to races.  Frankly, that is stupid in an Elder Scrolls title.

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

I actually like this thing!

-IF- we are at war, I don't want to be able to freely walk into my enemies cities. That would be horribly immersion breaking. I do however believe that we should be given the freedom to go -anywhere- we can, as long as we play it smart and survive. Even into the deepest enemy territory.

If I want to do PvE "properly" in those zones, then I will create more characters. If the game is released in it's current format, I'll make a Nord bard and an full elf mage.

What I'm much more worried about is making the gameplay too simple. PvP in my opinion -REQUIRES- collision detection/body blocking. Without it PvP becomes horrible zergfest and does not allow for proper strategy in sieges and/or skirmishes. Friendly fire would be very much appreciated (see D&D rules for magic), but chances of anything like that happening in TESO, what will be more than little "casual" are equal to none.

I'm even fine with the alliances. I can't wait to put both orcs and elves to the sword. And I do like the idea of having one "territory" as the focus of PvP. Now, here's to hoping that the war can go further than the heartlands...

However, I would give the game some critique. After watching that gameplay video, the combat and the animations look terrible. I mean, the Skyrim ones are ten times better. I'm fine with "light" attacks not interrupting your enemy, but anything a bit heavier should interrupt any action what the enemy in question is taking, ala. Skyrim/Morrowind/Can't remember if Oblivion had this. If I shoot someone with a fireball, or put an arrow in their neck, I sure want them to stagger, or possibly even fall! I at least want their attacks interrupted if I get a good heavy attack in on them in melee, that's the very minimum!

PS. Now, now - no one is forcing you to do PvP, unless they can attack your lands, but this should certainly require that they control AND HOLD the heartlands! I want both, good and deep PvE and working, skill-based PvP (without breaking the immersion.)

I know that me and my friends can make alts without any trouble. And every alliance has one or more races which everyone is okay with playing. For example, one of my friends has always played TES games as a Khajiit. Well, her comments were "no problem, different characters mean different playstyles."

That's not to say that I don't understand your argument. Oh, I do. It's all good and dandy that people like to stick to a single character, but perhaps there will be somekind of a system to allow you to go anywhere to do PvE? I mean, it would be Easy to allow guesting, without breaking the immersion of war. A pass which declares you come in peace wouldn't be that hard to make, especially if they could force restrictions upon it too, as in, you cant PvP as a guest for another faction.

We?re all dead, just say it.

Originally posted by Metanol
    -IF- we are at war, I don't want to be able to freely walk into my enemies cities. That would be horribly immersion breaking. I do however believe that we should be given the freedom to go -anywhere- we can, as long as we play it smart and survive. Even into the deepest enemy territory.

Why not?  Who's to know what side you are on -- OHHH that's right, they rewrote the lore to make people like you believe that races was united at this time.  Silly me, I keep forgetting.  PreESO lore;  most of the races they clumped together didn't like each other, others were friends with races from opposing factions, some races didn't give a crap and other races were looked down upon by almost everyone.

This isn't about race, it's about players making a choice to how they want to play the game.  It would've made more sense that the factions would just be 3 differnet groups rather than races.  During this timeline there was little to no order anywhere.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Im fine with it since it will go towards helping the population imbalance that will most likely occur.
    Originally posted by Metanol

Why not?  Who's to know what side you are on -- OHHH that's right, they rewrote the lore to make people like you believe that races was united at this time.  Silly me, I keep forgetting.  PreESO lore;  most of the races they clumped together didn't like each other, others were friends with races from opposing factions, some races didn't give a crap and other races were looked down upon by almost everyone.

This isn't about race, it's about players making a choice to how they want to play the game.  It would've made more sense that the factions would just be 3 differnet groups rather than races.  During this timeline there was little to no order anywhere.

I would argue that it's their lore, and it's set in the past. We have never been given a true look into the past, only a few, very short "books", if you can even call them that!

What I find interesting is that we see the Lord of the Rings syndrome here. See: Gondor - three thousand years of human history, yet no technological developement. By good logic, TESO shouldn't have certain armours and weapons available at all.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

i can agree with you on the fact that the races could use better grouping as some of them you can wonder why they would be in an alliance but at the same time Im willing to give the devs the benefit of the doubt and play the game how they want it to be played. One of the stupidiest things about Rift IMO is how they would just break their lore later on in the game and allow defiant and guardians into a group together and guilds raids pvp etc.

I like faction based pvp myself like DAOC and warhammer had because there was realm pride , even in warhammer until they opened up playing on the same realms. I felt a reason to fight lore wise and while some races in the elder scrolls doesnt exactly go with morrowind or skyrim lore at least if they write up something decent I can accept it as realm pride and fight for that realm.  TESO devs are not stupid they see what is wrong with guild wars 2 pvp system and other games and Im sure they are just trying to make the game not have the same short comings as other games like GW2 etc. Maybe im just trying to remain positive but if I get a skyrim like combat system and open world full of exploration with a DAOC end game I will be very happy myself regardless of what faction I pick. I think people should just mellow out and wait and see how they do it. What if there is awesome stories written behind it all in game later on?

Originally posted by SlyLoK
    Im fine with it since it will go towards helping the population imbalance that will most likely occur.

How?  From the polls on the ESO forums there is already a population imbalance.  It wouldn't help the imbalance anymore than if they let players pick their own factions.  Especially if they offered rewards for joining underpopulated factions - but they can't do that with race locked factions.

...Maybe im just trying to remain positive but if I get a skyrim like combat system and open world full of exploration with a DAOC end game I will be very happy myself regardless of what faction I pick. I think people should just mellow out and wait and see how they do it. What if there is awesome stories written behind it all in game later on?

Amen! Well said, sir!

i can agree with you on the fact that the races could use better grouping as some of them you can wonder why they would be in an alliance but at the same time Im willing to give the devs the benefit of the doubt and play the game how they want it to be played. One of the stupidiest things about Rift IMO is how they would just break their lore later on in the game and allow defiant and guardians into a group together and guilds raids pvp etc.

I like faction based pvp myself like DAOC and warhammer had because there was realm pride , even in warhammer until they opened up playing on the same realms. I felt a reason to fight lore wise and while some races in the elder scrolls doesnt exactly go with morrowind or skyrim lore at least if they write up something decent I can accept it as realm pride and fight for that realm.  TESO devs are not stupid they see what is wrong with guild wars 2 pvp system and other games and Im sure they are just trying to make the game not have the same short comings as other games like GW2 etc. Maybe im just trying to remain positive but if I get a skyrim like combat system and open world full of exploration with a DAOC end game I will be very happy myself regardless of what faction I pick. I think people should just mellow out and wait and see how they do it. What if there is awesome stories written behind it all in game later on?

There is no reason why they couldn't accomplish similar goals without locking races to factions.  It is a common MMO stereotype that all races would belong to one faction.  During this era the races barely got along with themselves.