Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to love this game, but 2 things are holding me back.

HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

First, which is something apparently a lot of people have identified.  Aircraft.  Air are just ungodly powerful against any kind of ground, whether its tanks or troops.  But especially infantry.  I've literally seen 1 aircraft keep me and a buddy from defending a base from 1 other person because we only had one spawn point and he just hovered over it and insta gibbed us the moment we exited one of the two doors.  Its on the order of absurdity.  So then i found out heavy assault can get an anti air rocket launcher.  So i spend a few 100 station cash points and buy the rocket launcher.  I start locking on ships and bam, rocket hits, health bar doesnt move. bam, second rocket hits, health bar goes down about 5%.  Eventually i figured out that i might as well be throwing rocks at them because that was about the same effectiveness.

So, the second thing is the cert points.  The system works fine, and i know they're trying to make the game last a long time.  But the amount of cert points you get is so ungodly low its insane.  Even subscribing and increasing your cert by 50% or whatever it is, still, is insane.  Basic mods like getting a freaking Red dot site for your gun costs 30 certs.  Foregrip? 50. Some of the other nicer upgrades are 100 to 250 certs.  Want to buy a new gun altother? that'll be 1000 certs.

In roughly the 9 hours ive put into the game since i started playing ive made a little over 100 certs.  If i had been a subscriber it would be around 150.

So, the system works "ok" if you're one of those kids who has no job, no responsibilities other than maybe school, and you can put 4 or 5 hours a day into the game.  But for anyone else who might actually play the game somewhat casually we're talking weeks of play just to get 1 new gun, or to reasonably kit out an existing gun.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I agree with you on the aircraft.  I purchased the anti-air launcher and was VERY disappointed as well.  They are deploying a new patch to the server right now and part of that is that the rockets will hit more and be able to lock on faster.  This will help but I can not say how much.  I have not touched my anti-air launcher since I purchased it and I am hoping this helps.  I dont expect to one-shot a fighter but I would at least like to know that they have some fear of being hit.

The cert points are different for me.  I subscribe and I jump into the biggest battles I can find.  I play medic a lot as I like support classes.  I earn around 60 points an hour so a new sight for my rifle only takes me 30 minutes to earn.  I dont use certs for weapon unlocks but I agree that 1000 cert points for a new gun is steep.  I dropped $50 during the triple point sale and after buying what I wanted I still have 10k of SC sitting there waiting for new items to come out.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• spadge3k00spadge3k00 Member Posts: 56
    i agree with u in a sense that it takes too long to gain the certs as a free player, the liberators are too powerful when using any kind of rockets but im sure they will address that soon, any max with anti air can take it out not a problem, its all about an even balance of all kinds of classes working together which i admit doesnt happen enough, the sniper rifles i feel are abit poor unless u sink some cash into the game but still its fairly new an theyll work out the major issues soon enuff, id give the game another month before u make any rash decisions as its very fun and has alot to offer.
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Playing as a team is paramount. I will agree that the balance is still a little off when it comes to libs, but the cert issue is non existant once you organize and learn how to actually play the game. 100 certs per hour is not uncommon for just zerg taking territory, for actively defending a place you should be getting many many more.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Talonsin

The cert points are different for me.  I subscribe and I jump into the biggest battles I can find.  I play medic a lot as I like support classes.  I earn around 60 points an hour so a new sight for my rifle only takes me 30 minutes to earn.  I dont use certs for weapon unlocks but I agree that 1000 cert points for a new gun is steep.  I dropped $50 during the triple point sale and after buying what I wanted I still have 10k of SC sitting there waiting for new items to come out.

I think its the medic part thats making the difference.  My roommate tried a medic and was getting cert points a lot faster.  It makes sense though, you get 1 cert point for like every 500 xp, and then you get some for capping a point and passively i think its like 1 per 45 minutes.  As an infantry type focused on assault, you only get 25xp for an assist kill, and only 100xp for a regular kill.  Especially with unmodified guns (just getting a HALO site makes you about twice as effective as iron sites) its VERY hard to get kills.  You have 30-50% less health and armor than most people you come up against, and they're shooting harder hitting and more accurate weapons, with additional mods like laser sites and stuff which increase hip fire.

So you're lucky to get kills at all starting out.

Maybe its a good idea to just be a medic and run around healing the crap out of people and ressing them until you accumulate a few thousand cert points.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Playing as a team is paramount. I will agree that the balance is still a little off when it comes to libs, but the cert issue is non existant once you organize and learn how to actually play the game. 100 certs per hour is not uncommon for just zerg taking territory, for actively defending a place you should be getting many many more.

I was starting to get that impression.  Seems like having a decent guild and moving as a squad of 6-10 or more people could be EXTREMELY effective.  Taking bases and such actually goes very quickly.

I do wish the game didnt promote zerging so much.  I.E. you should get bonuses for say taking a base deep in enemy territory that hasnt been turned over in a long time, or for taking a base with less people than is ideal.  This would put a lot more tactics into the game instead of constantly just being part of 3 hour long battles to take a biodome or some huge station like that.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Maybe its a good idea to just be a medic and run around healing the crap out of people and ressing them until you accumulate a few thousand cert points.

I might try that if I could stay in-game for more than 30 minutes between crashes.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Originally posted by Grunty

I might try that if I could stay in-game for more than 30 minutes between crashes.

Odd, the game runs absolutely flawlessly for me.  I mean, no slowdowns, not a single crash, absolute perfection.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

I was starting to get that impression.  Seems like having a decent guild and moving as a squad of 6-10 or more people could be EXTREMELY effective.  Taking bases and such actually goes very quickly.

I do wish the game didnt promote zerging so much.  I.E. you should get bonuses for say taking a base deep in enemy territory that hasnt been turned over in a long time, or for taking a base with less people than is ideal.  This would put a lot more tactics into the game instead of constantly just being part of 3 hour long battles to take a biodome or some huge station like that.

Its not communicated very well but you already get rather large boosts to xp for defending. Past that, take a look at the "upcoming" patch information. They are already addressing some of this in a number of ways.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I think its the medic part thats making the difference. 

Somewhat, but engineer also gets pretty fast cert too.

Also, light assault with auto-shotgun in base assault or tank driving also certs fast.

It just depends on how you play.

One thing to remember though is that you gotta be in it to win it - if you mostly stay back, move around and not engage in much action you won't get much cert, like the OP.

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

I think its the medic part thats making the difference. 

One thing to remember though is that you gotta be in it to win it - if you mostly stay back, move around and not engage in much action you won't get much cert, like the OP.

Yeah, definitely dont have that problem.  I figure the fact that i respawn is a good thing, so i might as well not be a coward ;-)

- Friedrich Nietzsche