Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never played D&D Will I enjoy it?

ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
I've been following this game for a couple of months now and it looks incredible, however they keep talking about it being amazing because of this and that to do with the d&d franchise ( and something about pencil and paper rpg?). Will this still be enjoyable to someone who doesn't know D&D lore and actually has no idea what D&D is besides the fact that there was an mmorpg based on it a few years back? As many of the features of this game seem incredible and I am hugely keen to play it.

Comments

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Yes  I doubt having playing D&D on paper will help with the enjoyment of this game.

None of it really translates well to the computer world.

Its F2P anyways, well sort of , so wont hurt for you to give it a try.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Who says you'd like it if you DID know about and play D&D?

This game is made with the D&D ruleset in mind, but it's being made to cater to the general video gaming audience. Doesn't matter what you know, and the odds you'll really get into it are 50-50 whether you play D&D or not.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by ereyethirn
    I've been following this game for a couple of months now and it looks incredible, however they keep talking about it being amazing because of this and that to do with the d&d franchise ( and something about pencil and paper rpg?). Will this still be enjoyable to someone who doesn't know D&D lore and actually has no idea what D&D is besides the fact that there was an mmorpg based on it a few years back? As many of the features of this game seem incredible and I am hugely keen to play it.

OP suggest you try DDO it's F2P also pick up BG Enhanced Edition, both of which give you a great insight to the D&D world and class structure.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by ereyethirn

The game has been develped with MMO people in mind though it has a strong lore.

:- I see that either you will be overwhelmed by the lore and instead just concentrate on story ignoring "side references" and codexes. Not bad as you will still enjoy it like say Dragon age:Origins or say, lore like in Mass Effect.

:- I see that you will be "turned" and "infected" like me and become a lore monster addicted to lore. In this case you will find a world that other games don't have - a large history of its own world, Dale reckning with various novels telling stories from -11000 DR (yes in negetive) to 1480DR(present). You will become an addict like me and find games like "Dragon age" or any other good fantasy to have "very shallow" storyline.

I pray you stay in former category and not become miserable lore junky as I am.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by Aviggin

Who says you'd like it if you DID know about and play D&D?

Veriyly true. I can't agree more.

A life of a lore junky is very miserable one. Those who ignore lore and just enjoy story as it is unvieled to them are much happier. I wish there was forget spell for all the lore in my head so I could go back and feel awe when I play Neverwinter instead of feeling, "hey! why are they doing this? Didn't this happen? Oh! So this happened! I see. I should take note of that."

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Yes you will! The community is great in the forums and people like Gillrmn and myself are very knowledgable about D&D and the Forgotten Realms and we DO NOT HATE newcomers! So feel free to ask any questions you have.
    If you are going to play the game and want to join a great guild head over to http://nwicewinddale.blogspot.com/

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Thing to think about is that in essence, every game out there is in some way formulated from a paper concept like DnD. Its the basis of what all games tend to form on as you will see trends in many games continue (Health/Mana indifferent variations, stats, ect.). So even if a game wasn't considered to be 'aligned' with DnD, it likely took a lot of its basis from other games that would end boiling down to a pen and paper route.

Simply put, try it out. I believe it takes after DnD 4th edition which would 'dumb it down' (whether you agree or not depends on the individual) so it wouldn't likely havea s much complex things to consider, and with a game a lot of those 'complexities' are done automatically (a locked door for example a player would need to check the door in some way and then use lock picking and make a roll for it, all of which the game does automatically) so don't worry so much of coming into anything crazy disrupting your ability to go in the game. 

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

If you have the time, read every single forgotten realms novel by R.A Salvatore, the dark elf trilogy, icewind dale saga all the way through to gauntlgrym and neverwinter. (They are very easy reading). That should give you some idea about what the game is about.

Knowledge of d&d is not all necessary :)