Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Darkfall: Unholy Wars: The Games of 2013: Darkfall Unholy Wars

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Part of our ongoing effort to keep our readers informed is to make sure they have the knowledge they need to be excited about a game. We've reached out to every developer releasing a game this year to have them talk a bit about why their game is special. First up in this ongoing series is Aventurine Games' Darkfall: Unholy Wars. Read our mini-interview and then talk about it in the comments.

Darkfall Unholy Wars is the sequel to the cult-classic Darkfall.  Fans of the original will be quick to tell you just how the warfare and no-holds-barred action of the game conjured up some of their best MMO memories ever.  But the original Darkfall wasn't without its faults, and with its sequel, independent developer Aventurine hopes to succeed where they first failed. They want to make a game that has the same epic, massive, community-driven MMORPG that the original fostered. But they also want it to have the the mass appeal and polish that the original lacked.  All eyes are on Aventurine as they progress through the beta of DFUW, and we'll be watching with very anxious eyes to see how the game turns out.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The Games of 2013: Darkfall Unholy Wars.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

MMORPG: What does 2013 have in store for your game?

Tasos Flambouras: 2013 is the launch year for Darkfall Unholy Wars, and a year of major expansions and improvements to the game based on player experience and feedback. We also are going to see localized versions across Europe, as well as an Asian release.

What this means is that after release there will be an exp pack that adds back in all the things missing that was in the origional game and also add in the classes they have not finished LOL :)

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

I do not really agree with his last coment.  

They have ignored the entire community because we are the paying customers and they want to attract all the non paying customers/ people who want the game dumbed down and on retard mode.  

Every single community member has voted to not change the Combat,  or the Races,  Yet they did.  

I am utterly disgusted with this game and the Devs and I will not be subscribing.  There was just no logical reason for why they are mising SOO much content that the first game had.  It made more sense to just wipe the first darkfall servers and re-launch with a couple tweaks.  

Only thing I like about this over the first is the Role system,  Yet they are missing 10! Roles.  yes 10 out of the possible 16.  

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

"Tasos Flambouras: Darkfall Unholy Wars is a community driven game. The evolution of the original Darkfall Online was driven by millions of player interactions within the game and millions of conversations within our community. The user is in the center of our development efforts and the community will be instrumental in the direction the game takes. Through user data and direct user feedback, Darkfall Unholy Wars will become the game the Darkfall community has always wished for."

i wonder is he's talking about the same users that they left in the dark till release day (on their second planned release) to tell that the game would be delayed and in fact was really only beta ready. Because you know its so hard to take a minute to post anything earlier when you care about communication with your community.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Knowing which game to avoid=Priceless

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Tasos Flambouras: 2013 is the launch year for Darkfall Unholy Wars, and a year of major expansions and improvements to the game based on player experience and feedback. We also are going to see localized versions across Europe, as well as an Asian release.

What this means is that after release there will be an exp pack that adds back in all the things missing that was in the origional game and also add in the classes they have not finished LOL :)

Me taking part in the beta game and  forums can say it seems like most if not all will be there at launch.

• KaminaxiusKaminaxius Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Looking forward to the release of this game. Keep it up Tasos!
  • SidQFTSidQFT Member UncommonPosts: 96

i played DF1 from start to finish.

i played DF2 from start to last week.

nuff said.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Onigod

Me taking part in the beta game and  forums can say it seems like most if not all will be there at launch.

LOL I am as well have been playign the original Darkfall since launch.. and no over half of what was in the origional want be in this new game, there is a big list on the beta forums with everything that is missing.. they also wont have all the features that they promised for this version either..

but hey you never know they might suprise us all..

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

LOL I am as well have been playign the original Darkfall since launch.. and no over half of what was in the origional want be in this new game, there is a big list on the beta forums with everything that is missing.. they also wont have all the features that they promised for this version either..

Its beta and its still running in debug mode if you understand what that means and if you had read up on things being unlocked once they get rid of debug mode wich will happen soon.

I wont say what things since the game is NDA.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Expansions? like DF:UW was meant to be?

Wonder if they will decide to make the expansion a new game all over again.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• alf2oooalf2ooo Member UncommonPosts: 139
    just wanted to say lol
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Its beta and its still running in debug mode if you understand what that means and if you had read up on things being unlocked once they get rid of debug mode wich will happen soon.

I wont say what things since the game is NDA.

YES!  I knew it would happen.

I can't believe when I made that forum comment joking about how debug mode was a toggle to turn the game into a miracle, someone would later make it and mean it.

It's easy to keep hope when the fans believe a debug mode toggle can miraculously add so much missing features, correct design decisions, fix performance, and change the games management.

Seriously though, when I made that comment in the forums it was in my mind an incredibly outlandish thing to say obvious in how far off and sarcastic it is.  But to see a Darkfall fan say something so similar... ah well, Aventurine does a better job driving people away from their games than any forum user ever could.

The fans still believing Aventurine does everything right and the game is coming out soon and filled with perfection are probably the ones who believed Tasos when he said they delayed the release ready game because Steam wasn't ready for them.

No MMO has ever launched and then gotten on Steam later after all..... lmao

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

How in the world is darkfall a cult classic? 

They started developing UW like a year after they released DF.  The DF servers aren't even running, was it even live for 2 years?    In what world is that a "classic" and not a failed game? 

Are we not even being realistic anymore? 

Is Tabula Rasa a "cult classic"?  Auto assault?  The matrix online?  Ultima online is a cult classic. 

What the heck, Mr. Murphy? 

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

One other thing. 

Why do I see people pointing out all the same things that people complained about when DF released, and the same exact responces from people in the beta that was given for the first DF. 

The deja vu is really impressive. 

Originally posted by Uhwop

One other thing. 

Why do I see people pointing out all the same things that people complained about when DF released, and the same exact responces from people in the beta that was given for the first DF. 

The deja vu is really impressive. 

Don't worry man, with all the experience they have with buggy games by now, they'll really know how to fix the whole game by flipping a debug mode toggle.

• sbrite10sbrite10 Member Posts: 71
    Unfortunately I paid for the original DF and it was the worst MMO experience I have ever had.Interface sucked.Graphics werent terrible but there were so many bugs it wasnt worth playing.Can you say floating MOBs?Stupid unpolished crap like this shouldnt be published.I cant possibly see how they can fix it this time around.

• sbrite10sbrite10 Member Posts: 71

They started developing UW like a year after they released DF.  The DF servers aren't even running, was it even live for 2 years?    In what world is that a "classic" and not a failed game? 

Is Tabula Rasa a "cult classic"?  Auto assault?  The matrix online?  Ultima online is a cult classic. 

Agreed lol.

• worldspin85worldspin85 Member Posts: 187
    seriously brign back df1 my whole clan is upset with this new game its just isnt there
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

"Cult" is the watchword here. It means it was a classic for a cult, which can be anywhere from 1 to X people. In Darkfall's case, the number is probably quite small.

• keitholikeitholi Member UncommonPosts: 140

Did they ever figure out how to code the game so there arent hackers everywhere ruining the game? I played in the original beta and bought the game (after 100 attempts) on release.  I played for the first couple months of release, which was overun with hackers an exploiters everywhere.

It was so bad and the devs were so inept that the PLAYERS had to record videos and post them to youtube to get any action done, and even then a lot of them werent banned.

[mod edit]
  • KnutCupKnutCup Member UncommonPosts: 21

How many times does one have to read that DF Unholy Wars IS A BRAND NEW GAME!

The engine is different than DF1, the Roles are diff., The spells and skills(for the most part) are all diff.  DF1 is gone, live with it. I know I loved the game, I played right up to the server shut-down. Hacking using game code is experienced in ALL computer games (mmo, rpg, etc.), Macro'ers and setting Macro's have become simply a part of computer play, as even the makers of the keyboards, mice all have Macro Software supplied with the sale of their equip. MACRO'ing is here to stay, again, live with it.

All this QQ'ing about a game that is still in BETA makes me ill, it is, what it is.

I have tried my hand in game development, IT'S HARD! I couldn't do it, maybe you can, power to you, make it interesting (like DarkFall) and we may subscribe to your game!