Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Elder Scrolls Online: Paul Sage Talks Beta, Crafting, and Progression

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Our own Bill Murphy caught up with Elder Scrolls Online's Creative Director, Paul Sage, to talk about all things TESO. From the beta process to the progression, guilds, and even some never-before revealed details on crafting, this interview was chock full of goodies about the upcoming MMORPG.

Click through to read a summary and watch the full video of the interview.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    I don't normally get this excited about MMO's a head of time but the promise of Dark Age of Camelot meets Elder Scrolls plus meaningful crafting has me really looking forward to this title.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    My friends and I have been waiting for an Elder Scrolls MMO since Morrowind. Here's to hoping they get it right, I have faith!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    The hype train really needs to slow down. Wait until we actually get hands on before going off.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

Originally posted by jimdandy26
    The hype train really needs to slow down. Wait until we actually get hands on before going off.

2 people saying they are excited isn't really a train, in fact most people around here are already trashing the game so...I dunno. Read?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    "Please, oh please, save me from the hype"-  token damsel in distress. Good interview, I'm eager to take a test drive.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    My friends and I have been waiting for an Elder Scrolls MMO since Morrowind. Here's to hoping they get it right, I have faith!

They haven't. If you like me have been hoping for a true Elder Scrolls MMO this isn't it. This is DAoC 2 in Tamriel. Not saying it will be a bad game, and maybe it'll be fun to play, but take it for what it is. Otherwise you'll just be disappointed.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
     Ok i'm somewhat neutral if hopefull on this game till we get to see a bit more. Having said that this may seem nitpicky but anyone notice the elves in ESO from the trailers at least appear like LoTRO elves and not at all like the ugly alien/human hybrid elves of Skyrim and previous Elderscroll games going back 2-3 titles. (Elves in Arena and Daggerfall before Bethesda became prudish weren't as alien ugly as the recent releases)
  • versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by Vonatar

They haven't. If you like me have been hoping for a true Elder Scrolls MMO this isn't it. This is DAoC 2 in Tamriel. Not saying it will be a bad game, and maybe it'll be fun to play, but take it for what it is. Otherwise you'll just be disappointed.

That really just makes me want to play it more ;P

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    The same thing happened with GW2 - the interviews got people excited - they hyped the crap out of the game - then they whined incessantly afterwards. Let the hype die people - haven't y'all learned your lessons yet?

I guessing that your opinion of a "true Elder Scrolls MMO" is different then many other peoples. While i too have my doubts it will be everything i would like in a Elder scrolls MMO I'm not so quick to blindly cast a verdict on it without even trying it. YMMV

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

*raises hand*

The combat and itemization sound really good, but I think confining pvp to a single zone will hurt this game replayability. I'm really concerned about his. I'm concerned from experience. Swtor, TSW, and GW2 tried this. As a pvpr these 3 games all lacked staying power.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

You should look up the definition of "Hype" before you type. It's why it is here, not for people to say nothing. lol

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by bcbully

*raises hand*

The combat and itemization sound really good, but I think confining pvp to a single zone will hurt this game replayability. I'm really concerned about his. I'm concerned from experience. Swtor, TSW, and GW2 tried this. As a pvpr these 3 games all lacked staying power.

i gauruntee you those 3 games didnt lack staying power solely because pvp was confined to a single zone.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Originally posted by botrytis
    The same thing happened with GW2 - the interviews got people excited - they hyped the crap out fo the game - then they whined incessantly afterwards. Let the hype die people - haven't y'all learned your lessons yet?

rReally? you haven't read the GW2 forums here recently were people have played 1000 hours in the last 4 months, or post how GW2 is the Dominant game out these days. Granted these are 2 sides of the spectrum, but while I acknewledge GW2 has done well for itself i disagree its the Dominant game currently out. By the same token the majority of actual GW2 players are not Whining incessantly about it as you say.

In the end just because you can't be happy or excited about any new game doesn't mean everyone else should be as sad and disappointed as you. Yeah too much unrealistic hype can be bad. Doesn't mean people with their feet on the ground can't still be hopefull.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by winter
    The same thing happened with GW2 - the interviews got people excited - they hyped the crap out fo the game - then they whined incessantly afterwards. Let the hype die people - haven't y'all learned your lessons yet?

rReally? you haven't read the GW2 forums here recently were people have played 1000 hours in the last 4 months, or post how GW2 is the Dominant game out these days. Granted these are 2 sides of the spectrum, but while I acknewledge GW2 has done well for itself i disagree its the Dominant game currently out. By the same token the majority of actual GW2 players are not Whining incessantly about it as you say.

In the end just because you can't be happy or excited about any new game doesn't mean everyone else should be as sad and disappointed as you. Yeah too much unrealistic hype can be bad. Doesn't mean people with their feet on the ground can't still be hopefull.

so thats why a good portion of GW2 NA servers are ghost towns in just about every map. even including LA at near peak times. the only time most servers are populated are during an event when the achievement hunters come out of the wood works to get those seasonal achievements.

not saying the game is bad, like you said, it was successful. but that doesn't mean its anywhere near the top dog cause it isn't. in alot of areas of the game, you could say it is, but in staying power, it most definitely is not. and that is what really matters in mmo's, staying power, that thing in the game that makes you -want- to come back and play it day after day, or however much time you have to play it. WoW had it for me, EQ had it for me, Hell, even DOMO from aeria games had it for me(though not nearly to the extent as the other two) but GW2 failed in that regard.

Anyway, this is about ESO not GW2. Also the flipside of your last argument, just because you are happy/excited about any new game doesn't mean everyone else should be as happy and excited as you. I agree, to much unrealistic hype can be bad(and threads like this is what generally start the whole process). Doesn't mean people with their realistic views on an upcoming game can't still be hopeful.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by winter

I play GW2 -so talk to the hand.....

What I was saying is, people will read all sorts of things into these interviews then assume something that is not there. Then when they find out it is not, they go off the deep end being negative about the game and it's developers, when it was all them.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    The same thing happened with GW2 - the interviews got people excited - they hyped the crap out of the game - then they whined incessantly afterwards. Let the hype die people - haven't y'all learned your lessons yet?

Obviously not. Humans are doomed to repeat history, not learn from it.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408
    This definitely doesn't sound or feel like a TSO game outside of the lore.... Will be interested to see how it developes. I'm hoping they don't lose the desire to explore that TSO games traditionally enable and encourage. Gotta say though, hopes are not high for this one, unfortunately.  
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Call me a cynic but it sounds like the same old story every in development MMO tells.
  • ExzearExzear Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Cant wait to try this game out! super excited and tahnks for the interview! watched the stream and now again the VOD! keep it up MMORPG.com!

Youtube.com/TheNorseGamer

DAoC 2.0 in Tamriel sounds a lot better than anything else being drummed up the past few years. In fact that excites me even more!

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256

I wish there were some Argonians and Khajit too in the trailer. That would give it more character aside from other things but one thing i don't understand is why is the Altmer not golden skinned. Aside from that it is an incredible cinematic and i literally can't tell if it's part live action part cgi or full cgi.

Btw, are they still on Hero engine? That's my biggest gripe about the game. All the other concerns getting looked at imo and it will be a pretty good game probably (i can't help but be optimistic about it being a huge TES fan). In the end i'm excited, can't lie.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Experience has taught me that features which devs do not bring up are usually the ones that are lacking, thus resulting in significant lack of staying power for specific MMO.

For example, what about: arena/warzones and leveling through PVP, alternative leveling zones within faction, roleplaying elements (housing, chat bubbles, inns etc.), combat and class diversity?  

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Does get my interest peeked, but I sure hope they make the high end more interesting than all the new MMO's recently have been.  DAoC at the high end would be a very good start in my opinion. Meaningful crafting, RvR, dungeogns you can fight over and housing would all be things to hope for.  Most new MMo's have no sense of community and I think that causes them to be a let down for a lot of players.
  • PacManiacDKPacManiacDK Member Posts: 1
    I have grown tired of the existing MMO's, so yeah I have signet up. And I am super exited, even tho the chance to get into closd BETA is small.

Gaming is my drug!